Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 04 Jul 2020, 15:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About these newfangled 'instruments'  (Read 8169 times)

MilkmanDan

About these newfangled 'instruments'
« on: 27 Dec 2004, 04:29 »

So i don't listen to much music produced by guitars and such. No, I like by turntables and laptops, and thus I'm far more indie than you could ever hope to be. Or something like that.

Anyway, I have recently begun to love a genre I have titled 'instrumental guitar-based noodlings'. As this title may not communicate much meaning to anyone other than my self, I will add that this encompases 65daysofstatic, Explosions in the Sky, and Mogwai. If you want to dispute the inclusion of any of those bands in my genre, go away. It's my genre, and I'll put whoever I like into it.
So anyway, can I get some ideas of similar bands from you educated people? The similarity priority list runs parallel to the genre name.
Most importantly, I want instrumental. People singing is 99% guarenteed to piss me right off. Exceptions are limited to Thom Yorke, whoever that guy on 'The face of the earth' by 65DOS is, and one UNKLE song. That's it.
So no lyrics.
Second, guitar-based. I can't stress this enough. I have plenty of instrumental electronica and Hip-Hop. This area likes new music, but is getting along quite nicely as it is.
Third. Noodlings. While the hardest are to define, this is extremely important (third-most important in fact). For example, Rock of Travolta are good. They are guitar-based, and instrumental. However, they don't noodle. That is all the explanation I will give, as everyone likes a challenge, so that will by my challenge to you.

Mercurial

« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2004, 10:22 »

Hmmm...  This is a little out of my expertise (which is mostly electronic as well) but it sounds like you'd enjoy some other instrumental post-rock type bands:

Do Make Say Think
Tortoise
Battles

...and maybe, though it is less guitar-driven, Godspeed You Black Emperor.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2004, 04:38 »

Ah, I forgot GYBE. They rock too.
I have one track by Tortoise on an Urban Renewel Program Vinyl I have, but I'll investigate some more. I will also look into the other two. Thanks alot.
Instrumental post-rock, huh? I think my genre name is better.

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2004, 15:33 »

don cabellero or err...i can't remember how to spell it but yeah.

Husker B.

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2004, 08:37 »

http://www.earthless.com/PTTR/robot/index.htm

This was my buddy Mike's band before he moved back from L.A.

It's very freeform...kind of jazzy, but he's the noodling guitar on the sample tracks. I think you'll dig his playing. His new band is way more structured than this, almost pop metal, but he's still has this kind of feel to his playing.

Sturge

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2004, 11:35 »

You might like Pelican then.

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2004, 12:53 »

A little more "rock" than the bands you mentioned, but two albums in particular by Joe Satriani may interest you... The Extremist, and Flying in a Blue Dream.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

IamAnonymity

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2004, 20:14 »

check out Firesuit by Doves.

MeekRat

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2004, 21:33 »

Fly pan am
and
A Silver Mt. Zion

maybe

-sam

Re: About these newfangled 'instruments'
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2004, 21:44 »

Quote from: MilkmanDan

So anyway, can I get some ideas of similar bands from you educated people? The similarity priority list runs parallel to the genre name.

Would Steve Kimock Band qualify? They "noodle" a lot, play pretty much nothing but instrumentals and are definately guitar driven.  Might be too psychedelic or something, check 'em out regardless.

-sam

osaki

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2004, 22:29 »

well... for guitar based songs, id go more on the side of more popular bands such as guns n' roses, iron maiden, megadeth, and velvet revolver.

emor

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2004, 02:59 »

Hmm, my first response to this is Dirty Three, but you may not like them because they are more focused on a violin, but there is a fair amount of noodling by the guitar.  And violin noodling is pretty good too, I will assure you of that.

Another one you might like is Rachel's, but they lean more towards classical style arrangements.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2004, 07:57 »

Quote from: osaki
well... for guitar based songs, id go more on the side of more popular bands such as guns n' roses, iron maiden, megadeth, and velvet revolver.

Not instrumental, and not nearly enough noodling.However, I'll check out the other stuff mentioned. If I can find it...

MeekRat

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2004, 18:18 »

props for reading red meat

(if its what you do... )

osaki

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2004, 19:01 »

there's quite a bit of noodling in some of the songs... however, if you want something a bit more like mogwai, maybe you'd like board of canada or stereo lab... try them.

emor

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2004, 01:00 »

Dude, read his post for cripes' sake.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jan 2005, 16:04 »

Liquid Tension Experiment maybe?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up