Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 06 Apr 2020, 15:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my pseudo-indie-rock list  (Read 4824 times)

ethank

my pseudo-indie-rock list
« on: 30 Dec 2004, 13:54 »

In no particular order:

REM - Beat a Drum / All I Want
This is THE song for my wife and I. Also I got to hear the band perform it with only myself, my family and REMs manager in the room. That was a treat. Actually loads of other REM songs come close, but this has special meaning. "Halfway from coal, halfway to diamond."

Decemberists - Here I Dreamt I was an Architect
Has among my favorite lines from any song in it: "I recall in spring the perfume that the air would bring from the indolent town" Its the perfect bittersweet song with that element of hope at the end.

Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
I especially like the Stop Making Sense rendition of it. Its such a sweet song and embodies that nostalgia has for "home" as well as the sadness when one realizes that the concept of home is fleeting.

Gomez - Sweet Virginia
Gomez has so many excellent songs, but this one perfectly captures the epic feeling of having three vocalists in a band. It has a nice wistful quality and absolutely rocks live.

Eels - Last Stop, This Town
The narrative turning point for Electroshock Blues finds the character (E) coming to grips with loss, and trying to move past it. Its a song about acceptance of the end, while a desire for a new beginning. The video (by Hammer and Tongs) is absolutely amazing as well.

Sigur Ros - Olsen Olsen
A completely epic and moving song, with no discernable or sensible lyrics. It yearns to be a music video. The song carries the feeling of death and rebirth. Again, an amazing and awe inspiring song live.

Grant Lee Buffalo - Happiness
One of the saddest songs I've ever heard, about the lack of desire and wanting for the feeling of happiness. The opening line: "Nevermind me, 'cause I've been dead. Out of my body, I've been out of my head" just rips my heart out. When he does the song live, solo on piano, its almost as if the words are struggling to escape.

Gang of Four - Ether
Possibly one of the most perfect album openers in the entire world. If Don Dellilo's "White Noise" is ever made into a movie, this song must be over the opening credits. Its a perfect statement of intent for Entertainment!, one of the finest records ever.

Mission of Burma - Academy Fight Song
One of the best first singles from any punk band, period. Its intense, catchy with just a slight undercurrent of pop. It also highlights MOB's great song writing and arrangements. Its also been covered by more people than perhaps any song on this list.

(tie) Television - Marquee Moon and Patti Smith - Land (La Mer De)
Both are songs that stretch near ten minutes in length, with epic structure and meandering hooks. Televisions is more referential of Jazz in its structure, complete with a great 4 minute guitar solo bridge. The lyrics are gothic and completely New York. Patti's song is more narrative and poetic. Land live often stretches to 15 minutes, all improv. Pretty amazing.

ethank

« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2004, 13:55 »

Oops. meant this to go on the top ten songs list. Oh well. Bugger.

SeanBateman

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2004, 14:31 »

WHo cares man. I give you props for having any eels on there, especially a track off esb, and especially especially one as good as that

Sturge

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2004, 16:39 »

Sigur Ros makes me a happy man.

geoff

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2004, 18:10 »

I'd post-quote you Sturg but it seems the mods here are unnecessarily strict on that issue.

So I'll say.
Yes. I dig Sigur Ros to an unhealthy amount.

Mercurial

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2005, 00:04 »

Eels - Last Stop, This Town
The narrative turning point for Electroshock Blues finds the character (E) coming to grips with loss, and trying to move past it. Its a song about acceptance of the end, while a desire for a new beginning.

I'm so happy to see the Eels getting so many mentions here tonight.  The turning-point nature of Last Stop, and the impact of having a hopeful song after the first half of ESB, makes this one of the most moving pieces I can think of...

Hecuba

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2005, 15:07 »

Hey, you're the Murmurs guy. :) I used to hang out there a bit- not so much anymore, but I'm a huge R.E.M. fan and thought it was great that there was a real community.

Great picks, by the by.

/pointless and OT, apologies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up