Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 04 Apr 2020, 23:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Evil That Is Country Music  (Read 13597 times)

Savai

The Evil That Is Country Music
« on: 30 Dec 2004, 21:44 »

Alright, I must say this, and though it is cliched, it needs to be said: COUNTRY MUSIC SUCKS!!!

Now, before I get a hundred angry country neophytes jumping up my ass, let me expound.  I am from Texas, where Country Music, the Dallas Cowboys and Bud Light are king.  For the record, all three suck.  

I have hated country for some time, but felt that perhaps it was indeed just my own predjudice against my native state's "culture" (or lack thereof) that influenced me.  So, I gave all three a try.  I got my paycheck, and in the interests of fairness, within three days, had bought six country CDs, attended the Dallas/Philadelphia game, and downed a twelve-pack of Bud Light.  To illuminate my musical selections here they are:  Toby Keith: Shockin' Y'all; Toby Keith: Unleashed; Martina McBride: Martina; Sara Evans: Restless; Brad Paisley: Mud on the Tires; and Trace Adkins latest, whose name escapes me at the moment.  Of the six, only Martina McBride had a passable voice (fairly good actually, strong), and only Brad Paisley didn't induce nausea at his songwriting.  So, I have tried country music.  I gave it a fair shake.  And I will make the statement that it sucks.

Also, the Cowboys were raped by Philly, and the Bud Light made me throw up, just for the record.

church

« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2004, 21:49 »

Dear sir,

Please try alternative country then get back to us.

Signed,
People who like good music.

Savai

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2004, 21:51 »

If by alternative country, you mean bands like Cross-Canadian Ragweed and Pat Green, my brother listens to it incessently, and is a major reason I hate country music.  However, all opinions are valid, I'm just voicing mine.

Oerdin

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2004, 00:18 »

You throw up after a 12 pack?  You pussy!  That it was weak watered down crap beer like bud lite only makes it worse.  ;)

Ozymandias

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2004, 00:27 »

I hate to discriminate against entire genres.

My parents have ruined me on pop country, but some stuff I really enjoy.

Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings...

The entire O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack is wonderful.

Alison Krauss has a beautiful voice.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

AndrewTBP

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2004, 00:54 »

Spurs For Jesus are good, but they're not serious. They do Shivers by The Boys Next Door as a country & western song. Hilarious!

ForteBass

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2004, 08:00 »

future reference:

Ranting about a hatred of any kind of music isn't generally accepted by a music loving community. We've got people who dig all kinds of music around here. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean "It sucks." It means you don't like it.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

LoveandaMolotovCocktail

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2004, 09:04 »

This is ignorant.  How can you sum up all of country music with, of anyone, TOBY KEITH.  I hate Toby Keith as much as anyone.  But country music is great.  Would Rock N' Roll be around without country and bluegrass?  NO!  Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc were all influenced big time by country and bluegrass.

I love Johnny Cash and Bill Monroe as much as I do The Clash or Television or anything else I lsiten to that is accepted in hipster scenes.

SeanBateman

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2004, 12:15 »

Dear Savai
While I respect the fact that you seem to think your opinion is the be all end all on the subject, I feel obligated to inform you of your ignorance.
Saying you hate country because of Toby Kieth is like saying you hate punk because of Blink-182. It's apples and oranges, my friend. Check out Johnny Cash, Hank Williams. Hell, go a step farther and listen to Ryan Adams-Heartbreaker, Uncle Tupelo-March 16-20 1992.  Or how about Some classic Neil Young, or Wilco's-AM. All you have succeded in doing is showing to the whole forum your intense ignorance before you even started out here. I'm sure some of your favorite bands have been heavily influenced by country artists, and would possibly kick your ass for mocking their favorite artists.
Much Love,
Sean

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jan 2005, 12:12 »

tobby keith is to country as tupac is to indie.

get it?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jan 2005, 12:49 »

BROAD GENERALIZATIONS ARE ALWAYS DUMB IN ALL CASES

OH WAIT CRAP
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Hostile

« Reply #11 on: 01 Jan 2005, 16:21 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
Saying you hate country because of Toby Kieth is like saying you hate punk because of Blink-182.

Wow... I can identify with that notion.

I was raised on Johnny Cash. Anything else doesn't make the cut, baby.

Disko

« Reply #12 on: 01 Jan 2005, 19:02 »

I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash recently, mostly because I fell in love with his voice after hearing him cover Nick Cave's "The Mercy Seat." However beautiful his voice is though, the repetitive tonic-dominant bassline over 12 bar blues can get draining.

But that's what Gomez and Wilco are there for....

Mercurial

« Reply #13 on: 01 Jan 2005, 23:19 »

Uncle Tupelo-March 16-20 1992

An excellent suggestion.  Of course Johnny Cash as well.  I think the Silver Jews push well into Country territory as well, at times, and do a fantastic job of it.  Yeah, don't let Toby Keith ruin things for you.

trill

Re: The Evil That Is Country Music
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jan 2005, 00:01 »

wait...

you bought six country CDs.
two of which were by the same artist.
And you really think that counts as giving country music a fair shake?

And why, why, WHY two Toby Keith CDs?

I actually like some pop country. I'll admit to downloading some Keith Urban, and I love Nickel Creek. But Toby Keith is just bad.

honest_that_way

« Reply #15 on: 02 Jan 2005, 06:48 »

There are loads of bands influenced by country or with a more modern take on it such as I Could Lick Any SOB In The House, Whiskeytown, Hammell on Trial, Handsdme Family - Don't be so bigotted, well do, just not towards music I like.

ielerol

« Reply #16 on: 02 Jan 2005, 22:37 »

before saying you hate all country music, please listen to Johnny Cash's last album, American IV: The Man Comes Around. It is an incredible record and I cry nearly every time I listen to it.

Scott Miller & The Commonwealth kind of go back and forth between rockabilly and acoustic country, but both styles are excellent.

Mnementh

« Reply #17 on: 03 Jan 2005, 08:41 »

This thread makes me sad.

I hate Toby Keith.  He isn't at all representative country music though.

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jan 2005, 14:27 »

Mmmm... Allison Krauss
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

osaki

« Reply #19 on: 03 Jan 2005, 17:17 »

i sometimes say i hate all country, but i dont really... mostly i despise the country western my sister listened to when i lived a room away from her... it was awful till i got surround sound and a woofer the size of her boombox, then i could blast megadeth and not have to hear her. i dont mind johnny cash at all.

CammyKnoxville

« Reply #20 on: 03 Jan 2005, 17:23 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
The entire O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack is wonderful.

I'm not a big fan of country, but the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack stole my heart.  It has to be one of my favorite soundtracks, along with Kill Bill vol. 1 and Garden State.

purdyweasel

« Reply #21 on: 04 Jan 2005, 17:09 »

Viva Alison Krauss! <3

I stand firm in my position that she sold her soul for her voice, and Union Station is one of the best bands in the country. Also, she could have the biggest fucking record deal right now, but she's still with Rounder Records, her original label from her first album when she was 16. Done now.

Psiogen

« Reply #22 on: 04 Jan 2005, 21:13 »

I'm no country connoisseur, but I'd recommend Judee Sill's "Heart Food" to anyone. Great early 70's folk/country/gospel/baroque-pop singer.

Green

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2005, 23:05 »

First of all, im from TX and i happen to like country music. But the alternative kind, like nathan hamilton and no deal and stuff like that.(they're real good! give them a try!) Also, i understand what you're saying about pop country, the only good songs there are the drinking songs, "it's five o'clock somewhere!"
And truly toby keith doesn't represent anything but what the public wants to hear, and that's pop-ed out country, not cool....but anyway to get a feel for country you should go to the rodeo. You live in texas, and in san antonio, there are always bands playing at the rodeo that are true-blue country.
Pages: [1]   Go Up