Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 08 Apr 2020, 19:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 'What Could It Mean' Game  (Read 4451 times)

emor

The 'What Could It Mean' Game
« on: 03 Jan 2005, 12:47 »

So I was browsing reviews in the Fall 2004 issue of 'Skyscraper' and found this little gem buried in the review of Holland's  'I steal and Do drugs.'

As a long-time musician adopting the video medium for the first time, he has used it to explore themes of network criticality, the failings of global networks to inform effectively, and a possible solution through non-linearism.

Now everybody, how do you interpret this?

ForteBass

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2005, 12:51 »

FIGHT THE MAN
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

honest_that_way

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2005, 05:40 »

It means that the journalist was extremely lazy so decide to form an extra barrier between himself and the reader whilst interchanging his viewpoint against the capitalist regime with that of a fear of intensity. It helped that he could see the new-wave whilst looking back onto the old style hit which changed the electronic waves in his mind to say boya to the man.

rynne

• The Tickler
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2005, 07:18 »

If it weren't for the opening phrase, I'd think he was talking about the rise of blogs as a global news source.  As the sentence stands, I've got no idea.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2005, 08:07 »

I'm pretty sure "non-linearism" was completely made up. Linearism is an art movement, its opposite being "anti-linearism." What any of that has to do with networks... I'm going to guess absolutely nothing, and the reviewer is just being an ass. Basically he didn't know what the meaning was, so he made something up and made it so cryptic no one could dissagree with him. It's what the kids call "BS-ing."

The stuff about networks (although totally off topic) could be related to the generally accepted thesis that in today's post-structuralist economy, the "networked" business structure is obsoleting the traditional pyramidal structure within the international arena. This trend has been connected to people's fears of "exporting jobs." It's a big economic issue that receives almost no political coverage because it is too readily connected to unions, poverty, the increasing disconnect between technology and workers skills, etc.

First, that all translates to mean that indeed this song is about fighting the man.

Second, that probably has nothing to do with it...

The above paragraph is an example of what the author did. He took knowledge about one thing and applied it to something else in a way so convoluted that no one would even consider denying the relationship. That's the true value of going to school...

Valen

« Reply #5 on: 05 Jan 2005, 15:02 »

Got me, something about a plan for world domination through invention of new jargon which confuses and stuns the reader into a uh, state of um, lack of.... something...

Schmung

« Reply #6 on: 05 Jan 2005, 15:13 »

Sounds to me like he;s trying to sound clevere than he is, his basic point though, seems to be that people are increasingly sourcing information via third parties rather than major providers. IE, you get your news & info from peoples blogs and links posted in forums rather than just watching telly. It is entirely possible thats he/she is just talking out of the collective arse though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up