THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 05:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What PS2 games do you recommend?  (Read 27630 times)

lb969

What PS2 games do you recommend?
« on: 04 Jan 2005, 15:25 »

Ok got a Ps2 for christmas (FINALLY!)

what titles are good?
Ps2 AND Ps1

what i got so far: (* means its PS1)
FF7*
FFX
Star Ocean
Champians of Norath
Resident Evil 2 *
ChronoCross*
Twisted Metal 1,2,3,4*
TestDrive 5 *
other misc games..... (the ones named are the ones i play the most)

So based on these... What do you recomend?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jan 2005, 15:35 »

Devil May Cry
Viewtiful Joe
Silent Hill 1(PS1) & 2(PS2)
La Pucelle Tactics
Disgaea
Phantom Brave
Katamari Damacy
Rez
Ico
Sly Cooper 1 & 2
Burnout 3
Umm...I'll think of more later.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

osaki

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2005, 16:50 »

Grand turismo 3: a-spec
GTA: San andreas (DUH.)

you play norrath online? i do.

Schmung

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2005, 16:55 »

Fight Night 2004
PES4

Two of the best games ever to play with your mates. The Fight Night 2004 drinking game is a thing of especial beauty and lethality.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2005, 17:06 »

I recommend Vice City over San Andreas.

It has the best story and characters of any of the games.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Deformagraphy

« Reply #5 on: 04 Jan 2005, 17:12 »

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3.  While the recent ones are preferred, the first has the best story.

Star Ocean:  Til the End of Time
 -  probably the best PS2 RPG I've played.

Digs

« Reply #6 on: 04 Jan 2005, 17:16 »

It's true, Tommy Vercetti is a likable guy. In fact, I may just pick up endorsing everything Ozymandias says, because I agree with him too much to agree individually with each opinion. Nippon Ichi needs so much love. I'd like to add that Star Ocean 2 may well be the best RPG available for the PSX. The third iteration is playing pretty alright, but item creation feels bulkier and just generally a lot more bother.

It is unfortunate that you purchased any Twisted Metal title past Twisted Metal 2.

c1utch

« Reply #7 on: 04 Jan 2005, 17:39 »

Quote from: osaki
Grand turismo 3: a-spec
GTA: San andreas (DUH.)

well thats what I would have said off the top of my head

burnout 3, ssx 3 (or tricky, pretty much the same)

my sister likes kingdom hearts

KID

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan 2005, 17:45 »

FFIX, if you like rpgs. i also recomend kingdom hearts. sure it has disney charachters, but c'mon. its Square. they rock. on that note, maybe you should tell us your personal tastes on games, in order for us to better help you.

fin

« Reply #9 on: 05 Jan 2005, 08:52 »

I agree with Ozymandias and Digs on GTA. VC has better charachters/story but SA has some cool planes and other new stuff. They are both *excellent* games and i'd recomend getting both heh. Tommy is wittier, i mean, its Ray Liotta doing the voice you cant get much cooler than that. CJ is cool too, but he's a bit boring - tommy's got that loveable rouge thing going on. Even thougn san andreas is a larger game i found by the end i didnt really feel like i'd done much, i miss being able to buy up half the town. Vice city is probally pretty cheap now, and the VC/GTAIII doube pack is pretty cheap too. GTAIII is also *very* good, but the others are even better.

I'd agree with burnout 3 too, its immense fun.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jan 2005, 11:28 »

I'd say San Andreas is a better game than Vice City, just because running around "doing stuff" is most of the GTA games for me, and you can just flat out do more in SA.  And being a teenager in an urban area of California (not LA) in the early 90s, San Andreas holds a bit of nostalgia for me.

Anyway, if you like fighting games:

Guilty Gear XX
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Street Fighter Anniversary/Third Strike
Soul Calibur 2

Each one is just so very very good in its own ways.  Just in those four there's literally an unending amount of playtime if you get some friends into them.

Platform-ish:

Sly Cooper 1-2
Ratchet and Clank 2-3 (1 was good, but the others are just sooooo much better)
I'm not a fan of the Jak and Daxter series, but some are.

I second just about every recommendation in this thread, especially Ozy's.  Man knows what he's talking about.

EDIT: Christ, people!  I forgot them too. :(

RPG:  SUIKODEN SERIES.  If you can find 1 and 2, 3 should be easy enough to get hold of, and 4 is coming out soon, I think.
UNF.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jan 2005, 12:26 »

all i have to say is, what the hell is everyone smoking?!  not as much to do in SA as Vice?!  did you miss the lowrider contest, or maybe haven't found the courier mission, or haven't been dating, or haven't found the arcade machines, bars and restraunts, pool tables, gang tags, gang wars, gym, clothing stores and i could go on.  and that is just los santos.

there is plenty property to buy later on.

and fighting games i'll also add marvel vs capcom and SNK vs Capcom.  not as cool as the arcade but if you enough cash you can if you're so inclined by the big aracade style controllers.

and i still haven't got over the fact kingdom hearts exists, it makes me want to weep.  square-E is going down the toilet.  

also there is twisted metal black if you happen to have a modem attached to your PS2 but i'm not sure if that is around still or not

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jan 2005, 12:30 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
and i still haven't got over the fact kingdom hearts exists, it makes me want to weep.  square-E is going down the toilet.

Have you played it? It's a fantastic game. One of the best action RPGs I've ever played and the Disney worlds are just so impressively done. The storyline is actually really deep and interesting and the voice acting is actually among the best I've ever seen in a video game. I was geniunely surprised by it. Chain of Memories, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. I haven't played it yet but a card-based battle system? Eh. I've never been a big fan of them.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jan 2005, 12:38 »

nope.  i loath disney.  maybe if a friend owns it and maybe if i play through all the games i'm occupied with i'd give it a chance.  i kind of doubt it though.

the voice acting being good, let alone best would be really suprising.  i could get better voice acting out of poking a corpse with a stick then the crap that was in FF X and X-2.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jan 2005, 12:58 »

I could not give less of a damn for Disney, and I've found Square's recent titles mediocre.

I played the SHIT out of Kingdom Hearts, one of the few games that it was a joy to finish nearly 100%...Still couldn't beat the last arena match, but I did absolutely get everything else there is to get.

I haven't played Chain of Memories, because I've put a moratorium on myself for buying games.  I have a tendancy to spend money and then not play them.
UNF.

KID

« Reply #15 on: 05 Jan 2005, 14:35 »

Ozy: I could not agree more

HBG: give it a chance. it deserves it.

Trinary: get it, but make sure you have time to play it. it is very good

yes i love square, but they make really good games. and no, i am not a big fan of disney

osaki

« Reply #16 on: 05 Jan 2005, 15:52 »

Quote from: Trinary

Soul Calibur 2

good

those two ideas should not be uttered in the same post. it's a travesty i say... soul calibur 2 was sad.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jan 2005, 16:11 »

and...how so is a good fighting game sad?

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jan 2005, 16:16 »

Seriously.  What?

SC2 is one of the best balanced and well executed fighters ever made.  Just ignore the console-specific characters and Necrid and it is completely awesome in pretty much every way.
UNF.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 05 Jan 2005, 16:17 »

It's not.

It was doomed from the start though. The original game was so revolutionary and innovative for the genre plus so perfectly crafted that even making a sequel was a bad idea, because they really couldn't do anything new. They could improve the graphics and flow of the game, but ultimately it wouldn't be nearly as impressive and, thus, generally looked down upon.

I think fighting games are a stale genre in general, though, so I don't really care that much.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jan 2005, 16:39 »

Original game?  Do you mean Soul Blade or Soul Calibur? :)

I don't think either of those were perfectly crafted, especially balance wise.  SC2 comes closer.
UNF.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jan 2005, 16:49 »

ah ha, that's what i thought.  i use to have soul blade for psx.  was their a difference or was it that they just had different names for the game on different systems?

(damn you tenchu:  wraith of heaven/tenchu:  return to darkness)

oh and that's another decent series, at least worth renting to see if you like it.  the first 2 tenchu games were psx and wraith of heaven is ps2.

i'm also a fan of the legacy of kain series.

oh and psx is ps1.

Digs

« Reply #22 on: 05 Jan 2005, 18:58 »

Argh. How did I forget the Guilty Gear series? Shame strikes the house of Sen.

Ray, try Kingdom Hearts, forilla gorilla. I loved it and I've been raised anti-Disney from birth. Did you not watch the Nightmare Before Christmas because of the Disney association?

How has no-one mentioned Armored Core? Armored Core is awesome.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jan 2005, 21:24 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
It's not.

It was doomed from the start though. The original game was so revolutionary and innovative for the genre plus so perfectly crafted that even making a sequel was a bad idea, because they really couldn't do anything new. They could improve the graphics and flow of the game, but ultimately it wouldn't be nearly as impressive and, thus, generally looked down upon.

I think fighting games are a stale genre in general, though, so I don't really care that much.

Kinda noobish statement.  Yes soul calibur on dc was revolutionary and new,  but not everyone had a dreamcast.  sure sc2 is essentially a rehash, but as the phrase goes, ah i forget the phrase, but anyway why mess with a goood thing.  soul calibur didnt NEED any drastic changes.  they souped it up and balanced it out, made it available on every console, accessible to someone who just picked up a controller, but able to be refined by someone who takes the time to play the hell out of it.  thers nothing at all bad about this game.

darklighter

« Reply #24 on: 05 Jan 2005, 23:39 »

Prince of Persia:  The Sands of Time for some truly excellent platforming action.  You might try PoP:  Warrior Within, as well, although I'm slightly into it and just not as impressed with it as I was with it's predecessor.  Also good are Primal and Beyond Good and Evil.

Pfilosophy

« Reply #25 on: 05 Jan 2005, 23:59 »

Ace Combat 5 and Katamari Damacy. Especially Katamari Damacy.
Also, I've been having fun with Sonic Mega Collection Plus because... it's got lots of Sonic The Hedgehog games. Basically.
Guilty Gear: Isuka is also a lot of fun, mano. ^_^

- Pfil.

krug

« Reply #26 on: 06 Jan 2005, 01:18 »

Ahh it warms my heart to see three nominations for Burnout 3 :)

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #27 on: 06 Jan 2005, 07:17 »

Quote from: darklighter
Prince of Persia:  The Sands of Time for some truly excellent platforming action.  You might try PoP:  Warrior Within, as well, although I'm slightly into it and just not as impressed with it as I was with it's predecessor.  Also good are Primal and Beyond Good and Evil.

I played that game for a while, and honestly, I was about to throw the controller through the damn screen.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

fin

« Reply #28 on: 06 Jan 2005, 08:34 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
all i have to say is, what the hell is everyone smoking?!  not as much to do in SA as Vice?!  did you miss the lowrider contest, or maybe haven't found the courier mission, or haven't been dating, or haven't found the arcade machines, bars and restraunts, pool tables, gang tags, gang wars, gym, clothing stores and i could go on.  and that is just los santos.

Yeah, the side missions are better in SA, but they are side missions, the whole of SA is better apart from the charachters and storyline which i dont think were as good as VC. I may have missed some stuff, as i have not completed the zero missions - although i have finished the rest of the storyline and seen the end credits. I looked through some mission guides to the game, and the only things i didnt recognise were two zero missions, there may be some other stuff that the zero missions unlock but i doubt it.

Maybe i'm jaded by playing VC on the PC and SA on the PS2, as the graphics are better on the pc and i prefer keyboard and mouse control, especially for shooting and moving around - it made just screwing around driving and shooting shit up more fun. Maybe i miss the florida sunshine, SA's environment looks beutifull but the orange/grey hues get a bit depressing. Dont get me wrong SA is an excellent game but i found the storyline wasnt as good as VC.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jan 2005, 11:45 »

Try Sands of Time, but for the love of God, don't go for Warrior Within.

Warrior Within being good at all is because it was based on Sands of Time. It survives in spite of all the horrible crap they added, the focusing a combat, making the prince an asshole, adding the most incredibly annoying Disturbed soundtrack, and giving it a ridiculous plot,
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #30 on: 06 Jan 2005, 12:24 »

Quote from: Digs
Argh. How did I forget the Guilty Gear series? Shame strikes the house of Sen.

Ray, try Kingdom Hearts, forilla gorilla. I loved it and I've been raised anti-Disney from birth. Did you not watch the Nightmare Before Christmas because of the Disney association?

How has no-one mentioned Armored Core? Armored Core is awesome.

forgot the guilty gear series as well.  shame shame shame.

thank you adam, that's all i needed to hear was an endoresment from a trusted endorser.  i'll find a friend with a copy after i have more time and don't have a platefull of my own games.

just to make a statement even though i'm anti-disney it's mostly to due with the facts:  i liked the black cauldron movie.  and a friends dad who did background art for it was sacked after it was finished.  well there are alot more then that.

alas, armored core, yes.  for the love of mechs.  have you played...umm...i believe it is front mission or some name like that.  square-E mech game where the mechs have weird names that sound like wang or something.

fin, that is all and well.  differing opinions are a wonderful thing.  i can't stand a mouse/keyboard interface for gaming though that's because i'm on a computer all frickin day for work.  better graphics don't always make one version of a game better in my book.  the first mortal kombat may have had a better polish on the SNES but the sega version is always where it was at.  same with the shadowrun RPGs on each system.  i use to love the SNES one as one of my favorite RPGs but after playing the graphicaly inferior yet still better version on the genesis it's a steaming pile comparetively.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #31 on: 06 Jan 2005, 12:43 »

^ Oh, man I love the Genesis Shadowrun. I played it first and couldn't even kind of get into the SNES one. The Genesis Shadowrun is like GTA3's predecessor in so many respects and was incredibly fun.

I want someone to make a Shadowrun game based on the Genesis version, GTA style. It would absolutely rock.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #32 on: 06 Jan 2005, 13:38 »

yeah if i found a genesis and a copy of shadowrun i'd have to buy both.  i'd like to see an open ended charecter creation for it similar to morrowind but yeah i agree with you on all acounts there needs to be a new shadowrun.  

i was completly disapointed when i found out that the matrix was not a shadowrun movie.

darklighter

« Reply #33 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:21 »

Quote from: Spike

I played that game for a while, and honestly, I was about to throw the controller through the damn screen.

Er, which game?  I listed 4 of them there.

tehpie

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jan 2005, 18:36 »

Sorry if this is repeat, I didn't read the entire postage.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night for ps1 - OMG OMG

And either Final Fantasy tactics or Front Mission 4 - both are super time consuming, and quite frustrating. I just beat the latter... I don't think I've ever been so profane to my TV before.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jan 2005, 18:42 »

^ I totally remembered to recommend SotN a couple days ago and forgot to do it. :P

All of the GBA Castlevania games are along that vein too and rock.

And now there's gonna be a DS sequel to the GBA ones!

I'm so happy!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Hoborg

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jan 2005, 20:30 »

Metal Gear Solid 2 (3 is good too apparently but get 2 first, its cheaper anyway. Play MGS1 first if you'd like, it has an awesome story which overlaps 2 a bit, but its just not as good as 2)

Katamari Damacy (new game, 20 dollars, lots of fun)

Silent Hill 1/2 (3/4 probably too but i havent played them)

Thats it. maybe the GTA3/ViceCity double pack too.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jan 2005, 21:08 »

I think MGS1 is the only Metal Gear worth looking into, actually, and even then the GameCube remake is preferable. But that's just me. I find the PS2 ones to be much too long and, uh, "cinematic" in the name of trying to tell a story. It's like Hideo Kojima wanted to tell a crackpot story, but never learned for to make a video game.

Silent Hill 4 suffers from that a bit too.

Silent Hill 3 is the best Silent Hill as far as puzzles and actually playing a game, but it has the weakest story and is definitely the least scary. Silent Hill 4 has a great story and fantastic atmosphere that I adore, but sucks as a game.

It's a delicate balance that the first two games managed a bit better.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jan 2005, 09:53 »

oh man, i just picked up front misson for on a lark as it was used for 18$.  i have yet to play it though as my brother took our ps2 back over to our moms with him.

Digs

« Reply #39 on: 11 Jan 2005, 17:34 »

Front Mission 4, is it? I've not played it. I kind of liked Front Mission.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jan 2005, 10:12 »

i believe the number is four, so it seems as someone else has mentioned it.  I've yet to play it.  I've been playing Fable a bit more then else lately.  Quite dastardly.  Everythings I sees i takes.

Hoborg

« Reply #41 on: 12 Jan 2005, 14:42 »

I think MGS1 is the only Metal Gear worth looking into, actually, and even then the GameCube remake is preferable. But that's just me. I find the PS2 ones to be much too long and, uh, "cinematic" in the name of trying to tell a story. It's like Hideo Kojima wanted to tell a crackpot story, but never learned for to make a video game.

I thought exactly the opposite. I liked the story a lot better in MGS1, but the gameplay was better and more fun in MGS2.

RayRay

« Reply #42 on: 12 Jan 2005, 14:51 »

Personally, I swore off video games when production of River City Ransom, Crystalis and the ORIGINAL Final Fantasy stopped, and I lost my copies.

Then, all kinds of Final Fantasy titles started coming out, so of course, I had to check them out and beat the snot out of them.

Now... best titles (in my humble opinion) for PS1, PSX (they're considered different platforms) and PS2

Anything Squaresoft
Chrono Cross
GTA: Vice City (SA just doesn't have the same appeal for some reason)
SOCOM
Metal Gear Solid (Gameplay was great, even if the story was a little short)

There are several others, but I can't seem to think of them right now.

Digs

« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2005, 14:56 »

Quote from: RayRay
Anything Squaresoft
Chrono Cross
Heh.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #44 on: 12 Jan 2005, 15:51 »

Anything Squaresoft?

There's a lovely little ball of crap called "The Bouncer" that would like a word with you.
UNF.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #45 on: 13 Jan 2005, 05:45 »

I'm mostly repeating other people here, but here we go:

Burnout 3
ICO
REZ
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Beyond Good & Evil (the closest you'll get to a Zelda feeling game on PS2)
Metal Gear Solid (I've only played the first two (stupid delayed UK release dates), but I prefer the setting and story from the first one.)
Soul Calibur 2 (not a huge improvement over SC1, but still better.)
GTA: VC (SA is just too overwhelming if you haven't played the games before, VC grows a little more slowly)
Grandia II (excellent combat system)
Devil May Cry (feels like Resident Evil made by John Woo)

Also, if you like a good story in a game, check out the Legacy of Kain series, the voice acting in those is fantastic.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 06 Feb 2005, 14:53 »

There's a lovely little ball of crap called "The Bouncer" that would like a word with you.

I actually liked The Bouncer. I mean it wasn't amazing, but "Ball of Crap"? It was a fun night. At least rent it and beat it. It's probably pretty cheap to buy now.

Erm... I wil list by genre for the games that I like on that system.

Racing:
Midnight Club II
XGRA (It's all right, I'm not a racing game fan and I found it alright)

Sports:
Grab NOTHING, all games are too outdated, and I fear that EA will blow the NFL to hell.

RPG:
Go Square

Fighting:
Soul Calibur II
Tekken (Wait for 5 or pick up Tag)

Action:
Rachet and Clank (Whatever one)
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #47 on: 06 Feb 2005, 16:19 »

Quote from: James
Ico

Just wanted to emphasise this one, since it's unlikely you'll get every game that's mentioned in this thread. How's this for an endorsement: I could probably count the number of games I've completed more than once on a ninja turtle's hand, but Ico I finished twice consecutively. In one sitting. It is gorgeous (proper gorge).

Double-quoted for Emphasis.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Vertical Stripes

« Reply #48 on: 06 Feb 2005, 19:58 »

Quote from: KID
FFIX, if you like rpgs. i also recomend kingdom hearts. sure it has disney charachters, but c'mon. its Square. they rock. on that note, maybe you should tell us your personal tastes on games, in order for us to better help you.

What this guy said.  FFIX and Kingdom Hearts are some of my all-time favouritest games.

ALSO, this title may be a little hard to acquire, but if you can hunt it down, Okage: Shadow King.  It was one of the earlier titles for the PS2.

It's a cute and quaint RPG about this kid who's shadow gets possessed by the Evil King Stan.   YEAH.   Trust me on this, it is 100% awesome.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #49 on: 07 Feb 2005, 00:36 »

Quote from: ironoxide887

I actually liked The Bouncer. I mean it wasn't amazing, but "Ball of Crap"?

I bought it for $55 or something like that.  That Square thought their  audience would be satisfied with that game for that amount of money causes this to fall into the Ball of Crap category for me.  Shame on me for not waiting for reviews and all, but as a huge fan of fighting/beat-em-up games I'd been waiting for a good Square action game for a while and this was it...minus the "good".  I wanted a story-driven Tobal 3, I got anything but.

Anyway, I've been playing Disgaea again recently, and if you like strategy RPGs, buy it.  Just find it and buy it as fast as you can.
UNF.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up