Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wilco  (Read 13068 times)

SeanBateman

Wilco
« on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:12 »

I've been getting into a lot of arguments about them recently, specifically in relation to A Ghost Is Born. I fucking love that album, but I know a lot of people just can't get into it. The point being, if any of you guys are into them, I'd love to get a furthur opinion on the album. And those of you who don't listen to them are missing out in a huge way

Rhomboid

Wilco
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:49 »

Yeah I've been considering buying that....I wish I had a job.

arkturus

Wilco
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:50 »

I need to give A Ghost is Born some more time. I can't get into it, but that's my own fault, not Wilco's. So, I will listen to it more.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Wilco
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:57 »

It did not take me long to get into that album at all. My biggest problem with the whole thing was the packaging... too hard to open.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Wilco
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jan 2005, 17:05 »

It's not a bad record, but I still like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot more.

Also I think Summerteeth is really, really overrated.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

exliontamer

Wilco
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jan 2005, 17:08 »

Seriously, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the best albums ever...like Remain in Light or Thriller or something.

A Ghost Is Born is just mediocre.

LoveandaMolotovCocktail

Wilco
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jan 2005, 18:32 »

I recently got into them since my friend is like forcing me to listen to them.  I like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot alot.  Still haven't heard A Ghost Is Born though.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Wilco
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jan 2005, 19:44 »

I really enjoy Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but it's also one of those albums that makes me feel, “This is enough to enjoy this band.â€?  I never really considered getting anything else by Wilco; YHF completely satisfies my urges for them.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

AltCountryGuy

Wilco
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jan 2005, 20:04 »

I think Tweedy was the weaker half of Uncle Tupelo anyway. Always, liked Jay Farrar more. I did, however, like the album Mermaid Avenue that Wilco did with Billy Bragg.
Anyone agree?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Wilco
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jan 2005, 20:34 »

Disagree. Tweedy can do a hell of a job of pumping out Tupelo at live shows, from the couple of bootlegs I have heard.

Also, I thought AGIB was a stellar album. YHF comes with the highest recommendation, although it requires a bit more of an ear for the experimental considering how much of what is known to average listeners as "crazy computer noise" is present on the album.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

upupdowndown

Wilco
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jan 2005, 20:59 »

In talking to my friend, I have decided, that in SAT Terms:

Wilco :: A Ghost Is Born
Velvet Underground :: White Light / White Heat

Sister Ray :: Spiders (Kidsmoke)
The Gift :: Less Than You Think
Here She Comes Now :: Muzzle of Bees (Ok this one is a stretch, but still.)

SeanBateman

Wilco
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 2005, 21:54 »

The Mermaid Avenue Albums are fucking boss as hell. The first ones a lot better than the second though.

ethank

Wilco
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jan 2005, 01:20 »

Love Wilco, can do without A Ghost is Born, although it does have its moments. It is rather too self indulgent for my tastes. Put away the powerbook!

I seem to have seen Wilco a lot and they always put on a great live show. I am deeply in love with Summerteeth, and I don't understand how it can be considered overrated. Hmm.

I do not think Wilco is long for this world though, sadly.

Ethan

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Wilco
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jan 2005, 01:52 »

I bought A Ghost is Born and the music is alright.  None of the songs really stand out to me though.

Disko

Wilco
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jan 2005, 03:30 »

I've not heard A Ghost Is Born, yet, though I have been recently on a little Wilco buying spree, it's all good.

I should really see someone about my Heavy Metal Drummer addiction though...

Thal

Wilco
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jan 2005, 04:37 »

Seen the album a few times but never got around to buy it since I have quite a few other bands on the list aswell as not knowing much about that album.

Any song you can recommend to do download to I can get a general picture of what the cd sounds like (or several tracks).

Disko

Wilco
« Reply #16 on: 07 Jan 2005, 08:57 »

I'd say download Heavy Metal Drummer and Red-Eyed and Blue, as they're two wonderfully crafted songs.

CammyKnoxville

Wilco
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jan 2005, 10:18 »

FYI:

Wilco plays tonight on The Late Show with David Letterman.

Thought you'd all like to know.

SeanBateman

Wilco
« Reply #18 on: 07 Jan 2005, 14:22 »

From Ghost is Born, Check out Late Greats, Muzzle of Bees, and if you are feeling daring Spiders(kidsmoke)
Ethan, why is wilco not long for this world!

exliontamer

Wilco
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jan 2005, 15:22 »

If you liked the Mermaid Avenue albums you should check out "Man In The Sand" (the documentary about the making of the albums). Its pretty damn good...but I still can't tell what the big fallout was between Wilco and Billy. Its probably that Jeff Tweedy is a flake and Billy is kind of a hard ass, but they never say what specifically set it off.

ethank

Wilco
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jan 2005, 19:15 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
From Ghost is Born, Check out Late Greats, Muzzle of Bees, and if you are feeling daring Spiders(kidsmoke)
Ethan, why is wilco not long for this world!

Because they've imploded as many times as the Verve basically. Tweedy is so volatile that if it came out that they were breaking up for good tomorrow, I wouldn't in any way be surprised.

aekastar

Wilco
« Reply #21 on: 08 Jan 2005, 01:12 »

Well, AGIB got #13 on my top albums list which I s'pose is a mid-range.  there were some boring tracks, but the stand outs really up the quality IMO.  yes, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was fantastic (I especially liked the knowledge I found out later about where the title / clip of the repetition of the title at the end came from.. rather creepy radio blips of sorts.. I dled a couple which involved counting in diff. languages as a spy code and literally couldn't sleep.. shudder.), but it doesn't make this album shite.

I'm surprised my favourite tracks on the album weren't mentioned;  Company in My Back, Hell is Chrome, Hummingbird, Theologians.

I want the Mermaid Avenue albums.. that'll have to be my next "old school" album purchase... recently it was a Pixies album... ahah.

Icarus

Wilco
« Reply #22 on: 08 Jan 2005, 21:04 »

Did anyone else see em on Austin City Limits on Saturday?

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wilco
« Reply #23 on: 08 Jan 2005, 21:57 »

Aekastar: "Theologians" is the shit (positive connotation). It was the only leaked track I could get ahold of and it dominated my mixes for a month. If anyone ever says they do not like Wilco, I pull out "Theologians" and say "How can you hate this band."

RaideR

Wilco
« Reply #24 on: 09 Jun 2005, 10:07 »

I just got Yankee Hotel Foxtrot , and i kinda fell in love with the song I'm the man who loves you.

i'm curious about they're other albums now :P

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Wilco
« Reply #25 on: 09 Jun 2005, 12:58 »

Quote from: jeph
Also I think Summerteeth is really, really overrated.

Despite the fact that my message is from that album, I highly agree with Jeph.  Can't Stand It is one of the only stand out songs from the album.  
I personally LOVE A.M., followed closely by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but those two albums are so different from each other. It's like they're by two different bands. My opinion on A Ghost Is Born is, its good, but like Jeph and many others said, not as good as the album that came just before it.
I like the way you work it.

Merkava

Wilco
« Reply #26 on: 09 Jun 2005, 15:41 »

Quote from: exliontamer
Seriously, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the best albums ever...like Remain in Light or Thriller or something.

A Ghost Is Born is just mediocre.

There is obviously something wrong with me, as I CANNOT get into Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Wilco
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:23 »

I keep forgetting to check Wilco out what so ever.  It's something I've been meaning to do since I started to read QC actually.

Jooooosh

Wilco
« Reply #28 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:26 »

theyre playin at ACL in september
fast-food for thought

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Wilco
« Reply #29 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:36 »

At what?

Jooooosh

Wilco
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:38 »

Austin City limits, its a music festival
fast-food for thought

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wilco
« Reply #31 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:17 »

Use YHF as your starting point, HBG. You can go forwards or backwards as you please from there.

blindsuperhero

Wilco
« Reply #32 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:19 »

Downwards?

SeanBateman

Wilco
« Reply #33 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:42 »

I'm going to see them in about 4 days at the Greek theater with the roots. My excitement is overwhelming

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Wilco
« Reply #34 on: 09 Jun 2005, 19:47 »

I hate you.

Quote from: blindsuperhero
Downwards?

Haha, this made me remember the quote "we must go forwards, not backwards, upwards and not forwards and always twirling, TWIRLING towards freedom!"
I like the way you work it.

SeanBateman

Wilco
« Reply #35 on: 09 Jun 2005, 21:05 »

If by hate you mean, heart, then I agree.

La Creme

Wilco
« Reply #36 on: 09 Jun 2005, 21:36 »

Smuggle me in in a suitcase please oh please.

Psiogen

Wilco
« Reply #37 on: 09 Jun 2005, 22:26 »

Gotta agree with Jeph here.

Summerteeth is okay, but I find it a very unsatisfying album—cluttered, samey, overlong, and overwrought. I like most of the tracks individually, but their other records hold together much better, and have higher highlights.

Sister Ray :: Spiders (Kidsmoke)

I like "Spiders (Kidsmoke)", but that song would not survive an encounter with "Sister Ray".

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
Wilco
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jun 2005, 03:50 »

Saw them in Nawlins in April, first night of the tour. They were great, and the visuals were t3h shiznit, but it was one of those shows where it went on and on and I'd kinda had enough after an hour and a half and just wanted it to be over. Although that was prob'ly 'cos I was hating the dickheads in the crowd (yes, I am a crowd nazi), and had been busting for a piss since the minute they walked on stage..... Wound up going to leave during the first encore, discovered the bathrooms were upstairs, and (once my bladder was drained) watched the rest of the encores from the balcony. Much more enjoyable for this boring old fart!
We didn't bother going to see them at Jazzfest the next day, 'cos we were exhausted, and flying back to Australia the following day. And I hate festivals anyway....
What the hell are YOU staring at?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Wilco
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jun 2005, 05:44 »

I keep thinking of downloading some of this stuff...but I know I'd loathe it utterly and get accused of being a narrowminded one-dimensional person if I said so in the thread.

So meh.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

-sam

Wilco
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jun 2005, 07:48 »

I'll be catching the Wilco/My Morning Jacket show in a couple of weeks up at Meadowbrook.  Tape will be rolled so keep an eye out for it.  Can't really say I'm anything resembling a fan though, caught their set last year at Bonnaroo, but I spent most of it in a bad way from heat stroke.  I think I'll have to run to the record store to settle this debate. :)

-sam

Merkava

Wilco
« Reply #41 on: 11 Jun 2005, 09:28 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I keep thinking of downloading some of this stuff...but I know I'd loathe it utterly and get accused of being a narrowminded one-dimensional person if I said so in the thread.

So meh.

I don't like them either, but you're a biased, one-dimensional metal-head; so yeah.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Wilco
« Reply #42 on: 11 Jun 2005, 11:02 »

Holy shit, I am? I'd better throw out these Pink Floyd CD's then...and these Genesis CD's...ooh, and let's not forget the Blackmore's Night, and the Steeleye Span, and old Bob Dylan...OH SHIT, I FOUND MY EBM COLLECTION! Argh, all this electronic stuff is clearly not the stuff a one-dimensional metal-head would listen to.

Do I have to throw out my Queen Adreena vinyl too?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Merkava

Wilco
« Reply #43 on: 11 Jun 2005, 11:07 »

Ok. Fine. You win.

Two-dimensional.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Wilco
« Reply #44 on: 11 Jun 2005, 11:31 »

I love Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born, but the latter keeps me coming back more. I'm not sure why but I wrote a thing for a site I like to write for to try to explain it.

(The writeup of YHF there, by someone else, is great and by all accounts probably much better than mine of AGiB).
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Peter Linfield

Wilco
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jun 2005, 12:20 »

Quote from: Rhomboid
Yeah I've been considering buying that....I wish I had a job.

Check out http://mp3search.ru/, it's been a godsend for me. It's Russian or something, but that doesn't really matter. Legal music downloading [I think...] for $0.10/song, or complete albums with discounts [making them usually less than $1.20].

SeanBateman

Wilco
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jun 2005, 17:11 »

Tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night tonights the the night tonights the night!

godbowstomath

Wilco
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jun 2005, 18:37 »

Quote from: upupdowndown

Wilco :: A Ghost Is Born
Velvet Underground :: White Light / White Heat

[/travesty]

godbowstomath

Wilco
« Reply #48 on: 14 Jun 2005, 18:39 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Holy shit, I am? I'd better throw out these Pink Floyd CD's then...and these Genesis CD's...ooh, and let's not forget the Blackmore's Night, and the Steeleye Span, and old Bob Dylan...OH SHIT, I FOUND MY EBM COLLECTION! Argh, all this electronic stuff is clearly not the stuff a one-dimensional metal-head would listen to.

Do I have to throw out my Queen Adreena vinyl too?

oh man, thats like, 4 kinds of rock.

GOLLY

saturnine1979

Wilco
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jun 2005, 14:19 »

AGIB is a good album, but never got me addicted the way YHF did.
i crave songs from that album all the time. not quite so with AGIB.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up