THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 15:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The next generation of video games  (Read 39234 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The next generation of video games
« Reply #50 on: 11 Jan 2005, 17:59 »

I'm not even sure how the thread got off on this tangent. It was the PC guys who were just looking for a fight!

And I tell you what, that XBox could drop an elephant and the GameCube has always felt like it was specifically designed to be a weapon.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Phobos

« Reply #51 on: 11 Jan 2005, 21:53 »

The Ancient Art of War (Broderbund) was released 8 years before Dune II (Westwood Studios).

But I don't even care anymore.

Tearon

« Reply #52 on: 18 Jan 2005, 12:39 »

PS3 without a doubt. All good things come from Sony! (with the exeption of Halo, Twin Snakes, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Chocolate, and Monkeys)

Seriously though, I'm still looking forward to when the developers get of their asses and actually use the power behind the systems that are already out!

kidtsunami

« Reply #53 on: 20 Jan 2005, 14:21 »

I'm staying with Nintendo and XBox, mainly because XBox Live has served me well.

I'm also a console AND PC gamer, but this arguement is ridiciulous, it's two "elite" gamers talking nonsense. I went to gamerankings.com and looked up the top 50 games that had 50 reviews or more, and there were around 6 PC games on the whole list... Now thats not a definite "PC GAEMS SUCZ LOLZ" but it does say, shut your trap, you are not game design gods nor game critics, you aren't in the industry (I've actually worked on a shipped title, Rise of Nations), and therefor do not hold any weight to make extremely general claims about PC vs Console gaming. As for my opinion, I like both, they're both sweet and have their strengths, so I don't think people should be bi-polar about it. So once again, shut your trap and think about the fact that you're arguing on the internet.

nihilist

« Reply #54 on: 27 Jan 2005, 11:45 »

Love my Xbox.  Love it to death.  Especially when I can load games on to the HD.  Speedy shit, with such short load-times.  Was great with KotoR2 and Halo 2.  So I'll probably go with the successor to it, though I'll wait a while to see what kind of modding is possible.  I still use my PC for gaming, though, and have for a very long time.  I was playing games on my Apple II long before I got my first Nintendo.

Adressing the original talk about the Cell processor, it's not as was described.    It's not that you can just add another one into the system and away it goes.  The processor is a modified PowerPC with some other functions added in.  Nothing more.

airon

« Reply #55 on: 27 Jan 2005, 16:05 »

I own a mac so I can't say much about computer games since I only own (World of) Warcraft (III) and The Incredibles(the popcorn of video-games in my opinion).  and I cannot say anything on sony because I refuse to buy a PS2 because of all the asshats at my school who only play GTA

anyways, on consoles. I personally hate microsoft and sony, but I own an Xbox. And I have loads of fun on it. I like how I can play games w/ some of the best graphics and I don't have to buy an nVidia 69000 Overclocked super awesome video card w/ PCI Express for $600 (I'm guessing on the prices) and a Athlon 64 processor for about $200 or $300 and a new mobo. Ninja Gaiden kicks ass and i could not imagine it kicking as much ass on a keyboard. Halo 2 is a bit harder lets weigh things out:

$355 (Price of Halo 2 LE and Xbox w/ free Xbox Live card included) VS. $900-$1050 for a full upgraded PC and the PC version of Halo 2 which will come out in about 3 years.  I can use a keyboard and mouse!

So I either play Halo 2 now with a nicely tuned controller S  or pay $600 more and play it on PC with a keyboard and mouse.  The PC version of Halo 2 will look about the same  but won't have the analog pad for moving, if you want to slow down you'll have to press "shift"

Gamecube has very good games that are not on the PC but they are few and far between. I'm okay with Nintendo's image (hell, I prefer Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and old Disney cartoons over any of the "Mature" (and generic) stuff in anime) but they need to make more games.

I know I just attacked 5 sides of a bunch of stuff but I still think PCs are cool but consoles provide a better experience overall.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #56 on: 27 Jan 2005, 16:42 »

Even though this would be putting MS torward their dream of world domination, I wish they'd offer Live+broadband service at a fixed rate.  Or Live was also a broadband service.  I'd feel silly paying for broadband with out a computer.

I'd say Ninja Gaiden is a game that makes the Xbox worth having.  It makes you call it daddy and you go back for more.

nihilist

« Reply #57 on: 27 Jan 2005, 18:24 »

Note:  all prices are CDN.  Suck my teets if you can't grasp the exchange rate.

First, a top of the line computer won't run $900-1050.  It'll run $2500-3000.  However, it's multi-functional:  you can do a lot more then just games.  (And if it's an actual PC, you can play a LOT of games.  Next time, skip the Mac.  :p)  As well, you can hook an Xbox controller up to a PC.  Though you'd better only do that for a racing game.

My Xbox (four controllers, 3 games, DVD remote) cost me close to $1000.  It plays games, and only games.  And doesn't play FPS games well.  At all.  Any gamer who plays FPSs and claims to have some skill better do so on a PC, not an Xbox.  They'd get smoked by anybody with a keyboard and a mouse.  As a living room entertainment box, it's decent value.  As a replacement for a PC gaming platform, it's not.  Unless it had a keyboard and mouse.

So, my badly worded point:  an Xbox (or any console) isn't exactly cheap, nor can you compare it to a PC.  (And you are silly if you do.)  If you want to tout the benefits of having a few people clustered around a TV, with four controller, a variety of drinks, and a mad game of Burnout 3, go for it.  A PC will never compete with that.  Ever.  But otherwise, there's no real reason to choose a console over a PC.

ESDF + mouse = ownage.

Ask Jeph.

airon

« Reply #58 on: 27 Jan 2005, 20:23 »

You are right on FPSs in general. If a game is built for a console then it will work better on the console it was designed for than a PC. Halo 1 on PC didn't feel right Probably Gearbox's fault, wankers). Halo 2 was built for the xbox from the ground up. They had a PC/Mac port in mind but they were trying to make an excellent Xbox game, not a PC game.

But you are right about FPSs being better on PC for the most part. Max Payne, CS, Jedi Knight, and all those other 1st/3rd person games are better on PC... but thats because they were designed for PC.

oh yeah and that comment about the mac, Fuck you.

nihilist

« Reply #59 on: 28 Jan 2005, 07:15 »

Heh, I've been pretty snide with my Mac comments lately, my apologies.  I'm just a bastard.

I use ESDF for a few reasons:  I use W and R for leaning, A for use, T and G for zooming in/out, X to drop things, Z to go prone (when called for), CTRL to duck, space to jump, B and V are for team selection and outfitting.  Q and C are randomly assigned to things.  MB1 = fire, MB3 = reload, MB2 = alt fire, MWU/MWD = weapon scrolling, MB4/MB5 = primary/secondary weapons.

Yes, I've spent a long time perfecting that.  :)

kidtsunami

« Reply #60 on: 28 Jan 2005, 08:47 »

i've heard of much more confusing and fucked up keyboard layouts.... to each his own ;-)

nihilist

« Reply #61 on: 28 Jan 2005, 08:56 »

Well, yeah.  I have a friend who plays FPSs with a joystick and the number pad.  Nothing has ever compared to that.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #62 on: 28 Jan 2005, 16:14 »

I'm trying to imagine playing a FPS with an old Atari Pong style paddle.

tayker

Re: The next generation of video games
« Reply #63 on: 28 Jan 2005, 17:27 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
So....where do your allegiances stand?

I was initially a pro-PS2 nut for 2 years. When I pulled my head out of my but and ditched the "Bill Gates is in a secret room" paranoia and played Halo and DOA3, plus gotta love the hard drive, I became an Xbox convert. Although 3 flavors of Xbox2 I think is lame (still a rumor), they haven't put crap out about the Xbox2, and they chose to use the ATI graphics (hopefully they will make a new chip that supports 3.0 shaders and not used the gimped X8xx chip), I'm on the middle leaning towards Xbox2.
PS3 sounds impressive, but I don't want to buy 3 PS3s, or have a smart toilet, to play some new suped up game that needs the horsepower. 1 console, 1 game is the best option.
As for Nintendo, the GameCube was lame...especially the controller w/that BIG green utton that seems to hide the 3 that are around it. I just haven't been impressed w/Nintendo as of late. They aren't the trend setters anymore, they're followers, hence their position in the console market. Look at the stupid GameBoy for example. The basically the same crap screen since the first GameBoy. I'm reading about thin screens that can wrap around cans that Coca-Cola could use for advertising, yet Nintendo couldn't think of doing what Sony was doing? Nintendo is dying a slow painful death. They should just cave into the rumors and make games for all the consoles right now, because they will make money back that they've lost since they came out w/the GameCube.

airon

« Reply #64 on: 28 Jan 2005, 17:36 »

I think Nintendo should still make games because I still like Mario, but I think they should take him in a new direction. Mario should be all RPG all the time, that would kick so much ass. The Paper Mario games are on the top of my favorite games list. and RE4 (even though Nintendo didn't develop it) is perfectly tuned for the GC controller. Viewtiful Joe kicked ass. But, alas, this is like talking about how John Kerry(nintendo) would being a better president than Bush(sony). I think you're right about nintendo going the way of sega... but I don't want to believe it.

nihilist

« Reply #65 on: 29 Jan 2005, 08:26 »

ATI has a new generation of vid cards that isn't based on the 9700 core.  More info: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20919

I think ATI may be going with a common GPU that can be programmed to do anything.  That'd be just awesome.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #66 on: 29 Jan 2005, 12:04 »

"As for Nintendo, the GameCube was lame...especially the controller w/that BIG green utton that seems to hide the 3 that are around it. I just haven't been impressed w/Nintendo as of late. They aren't the trend setters anymore, they're followers, hence their position in the console market. Look at the stupid GameBoy for example. The basically the same crap screen since the first GameBoy. I'm reading about thin screens that can wrap around cans that Coca-Cola could use for advertising, yet Nintendo couldn't think of doing what Sony was doing? Nintendo is dying a slow painful death. They should just cave into the rumors and make games for all the consoles right now, because they will make money back that they've lost since they came out w/the GameCube."

They've made more profit than either Sony or Microsoft. Sega's actually lost more money since dropping out of the hardware business.

They're not going anywhere.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Finding Emo

« Reply #67 on: 29 Jan 2005, 12:56 »

PS2 was mostly a hunk of crap, so I suspect the PS3 to be as well. I'll be sticking with Microsoft and Nintendo.

Post-post Evaluation: Simple, yet effective.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #68 on: 29 Jan 2005, 17:53 »

Man the controler excuse is oldhat.  I think people underestimate Nintendo.  Maybe they don't stick to trend-setting because they think beyond trends.  Which stupid Gameboy?  Three sucessful variations.  I can only see improvements since the first GB up to just the SP.  I'd say that graphics on alot of games on SP are about par with the SNES.  The DS I believe is around par graphics with the N64.  I

t is all just matter of opinion on what you like to play.  I like all three current systems out.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #69 on: 29 Jan 2005, 19:14 »

I like the GCN controller. It's not adaptable to cross-platform games, but that's not what Nintendo cares about. All games specifically developed for the GCN use it beautifully.

All controller innovations in the past 15 years (except dual analog sticks) have been Nintendo's doing, and they already did it again this generation too(reliable wireless).

I think the GCN was one of the biggest mistakes they've ever made, not because it's less powerful than the XBox or PS2, but because they tried to keep their individuality while trying to fit in. It doesn't work. That's why they're going in a different direction, drastically apart from Sony and MS this next generation.

They're not going the way of Sega, simply because they're going to try to go the way of Apple.

Think different.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #70 on: 30 Jan 2005, 00:01 »

My mind gets kind of excited at what ideas they may be comming up with after the DS.

nihilist

« Reply #71 on: 30 Jan 2005, 09:23 »

At the end of the day, I like how the Xbox is pretty close to a PC.  Mod chip + big HD == all the fun you ever need.  Streaming xvid/divx movies across the network via the Xbox's wireless card...  All I could ask for.  Well, mebbe a TV-in, so I could use it as a PVR as well.  :)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #72 on: 30 Jan 2005, 12:44 »

Man, I just love how a bunch of you are saying how nintendo is dying and losing money and whatnot. They're making money, they're not going to go out of business. Jesus. You're acting as if they're not selling anything at all ever.

EDIT: And someone one the other page said the first RPG Was Carmen Sandiego or something; I'm pretty sure it was either Nethack or Rogue, whichever came first.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

nihilist

« Reply #73 on: 30 Jan 2005, 13:18 »

Nintendo isn't dying, no.  But it sure did lose dominance in the marketplace.  Badly.  PSP is outselling the DS.  Granted there's a huge installed base of GBA, but still, you don't want a competitor to change that.

Ah well.  Some of us grew up with the NES, but Nintendo didn't grow with us.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 30 Jan 2005, 15:37 »

Quote from: nihilist
Nintendo isn't dying, no.  But it sure did lose dominance in the marketplace.  Badly.  PSP is outselling the DS.  Granted there's a huge installed base of GBA, but still, you don't want a competitor to change that.

Ah well.  Some of us grew up with the NES, but Nintendo didn't grow with us.

The PSP is outselling the DS by about 10,000 units a week, for the past two weeks in Japan.

Before that, the DS had a 60,000 unit lead in just January alone, though, not to mention the 400,000+ unit lead it already had from December.

The PSP is slightly outselling it week to week now. The DS has already massively outsold it overall.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

« Reply #75 on: 30 Jan 2005, 15:42 »

The DS has the advantage of being released earlier than the PSP.  But will that lead hold out?  I guess we should revisit the question in six months time, and see what has happened.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #76 on: 30 Jan 2005, 17:37 »

Considering how much more the DS sold in the same amount of time after its release that the PSP has sold thus far, it's a fair bet that it'll maintain a decent lead.

The next wave of DS games is hitting Japan soon as well. Sales will increase, not decrease.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

tayker

« Reply #77 on: 30 Jan 2005, 19:26 »

They've made more profit than either Sony or Microsoft. Sega's actually lost more money since dropping out of the hardware business.

They're not going anywhere.

You crack me up.

tayker

« Reply #78 on: 30 Jan 2005, 19:31 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Which stupid Gameboy?  Three sucessful variations.  I can only see improvements since the first GB up to just the SP.

Adding a light, color and a new case doesn't make old tech revolutionary.

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
I'd say that graphics on alot of games on SP are about par with the SNES.  The DS I believe is around par graphics with the N64.  It is all just matter of opinion on what you like to play.  I like all three current systems out.

Saying the DS is on par w/the 64 and the SP is on par w/the SNES? Maybe when I'm drunk and I can't see clearly. Also, the GameBoy was only successful because of 2 factors, 1. no competion or 2. crap competition. When American consumers see what the PSP can do, except for GB loyalists, will be scratching their heads and asking why Nintendo didn't do this years ago...which they could've. To say otherwise, then I will ask you to share what you're taking.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 30 Jan 2005, 20:01 »

Quote from: tayker
You crack me up.

Congratulations on winning the Generic Internet Comeback Award!

You're well on your way to the Giant Forum Asshole Achievement Trophy!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #80 on: 30 Jan 2005, 23:19 »

You sound like some sorta creepy cultist in a way.  I play all video game systems and when I can afford it I'd be down with getting a PSP.  At the end of March I'm not dropping between $300-$400 dollars on a PSP because I have other priorties.  That would be almost to over half of my pay check.  

I said around par.  I'm enjoying it as much as my SP.  It's not like i'm OMGUDONT LIKE TEHSAME STUFASMEUSUCK.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #81 on: 30 Jan 2005, 23:37 »

The PSP will be $200, I'm pretty sure. Sony's been weaseling out of announcing a release date or price, but $200 is reasonable and competitive.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #82 on: 31 Jan 2005, 12:25 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #83 on: 01 Feb 2005, 12:20 »

He!  That would be pretty amusing if the controller made some sort of groaning like noise when you rub it.

Sounds pretty awesome.

nihilist

« Reply #84 on: 01 Feb 2005, 12:26 »

Yes, I always wanted to rub my console to make it happy.  Really.  Where's the spooge port?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #85 on: 01 Feb 2005, 12:28 »

That's what I thought the top of the Sexbox...I mean Xbox controller was for.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #86 on: 01 Feb 2005, 12:32 »

"Also the controller has a slot."
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

« Reply #87 on: 01 Feb 2005, 12:49 »

A slot, eh?  I dunno, round peg, rectangular slot?  :)

tayker

« Reply #88 on: 01 Feb 2005, 17:10 »

Congratulations on winning the Generic Internet Comeback Award!

You're well on your way to the Giant Forum Asshole Achievement Trophy!

Although I'm not here to stroke your balls, your reply was pretty funny.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up