Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 02 Jun 2020, 08:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes 'good' music?  (Read 8695 times)

Apathy

What makes 'good' music?
« on: 07 Jan 2005, 08:42 »

As a music fan of varying genres, and as an avid writer of music (albeit probably crap), it struck me to put to others the question - What makes a good song?  Need it even be a song?  Some are of the opinion a good song is decided upon whether it fires up a stirring sensation in the soul, i.e strikes a chord (if you'll excuse the pun) with something that means something to you personally, others tend to lean more towards a song that simply serves to get people moving.  

Personally I'm with the crowd who say that a song has to really mean something, to justify it's existence, because otherwise I tend to often feel a cheap 'cash in' song is simply serving to abuse what music is all about.  It's an art form like any other and as such can afford to be abstract in many ways, and I can appreciate the simple sounds of rain and thunder accompanied by tranquil sounds, as much as I can appreciate Kirk Hammet taking us to school as he rips into a solo.  

Opinions?

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2005, 10:21 »

The passion the artist(s) has about their music while they play/sing it comes through more than people realise.  The more passion they put into it, the better it tends to be.  I mean look at Pearl Jam... their first album, Vedder gave those songs everything he had, and each subsequent release you could tell he lost more and more of the passion he had for it.  Same with Reznor doing Nine Inch Nails... He kept the passion he had for his music almost up to his album "Closer" and it rapidly declined thereafter.
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

rynne

• The Tickler
  • Hey, nice marmot!
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2005, 10:40 »

I can't really find a good answer for this.  The closest approximation I can think of is that a good song is one which stimulates the listener in a pleasing and novel fashion.  That's so subjective as to be almost meaningless, but the idea of a “good? song is also equally subjective.

If I gave any more concrete a definition, I'd almost certainly find a song that I think is good that would fall outside of that definition.  :(
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

geoff

What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2005, 11:09 »

One thing that really helps is being able to connect to the song. It's cheezy an all, but hearing a song that could've been my exact words really makes a song stand out.

And then also songs that place as much (if not more (but then again I'm a huge post-rock fan)) emphasis on the music as the lyrics tend to get me as well.

I like music that feels like hugs.

ForteBass

• Asleep in the boner patch
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jan 2005, 13:22 »

But there's also a matter of personal taste. The "cash-in" songs aren't just popular because it's a force feeding.  It appeals to the group of people who enjoy that music.  I mean, who among us can say we don't like some of the cash cow crap music?
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2005, 13:35 »

good is pretty damn subjective is the thing, basicaly as rynne and chuck point out there are people who can form an emotional attachment to a song that others would deem crap (example i have known someone who was moved emotionaly by "i'd do anything for love" by meatloaf even though i my self was more moved to stabbing out my ear drums).  even passion is a failable point for concensus on what is considered good; "fuck the police" by NWA is full of passion but there are quite a few people who wouldn't consider it a good song as there are people who would.

ForteBass

• Asleep in the boner patch
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2005, 13:43 »

I'd have prefered the use of Body Count's Cop Killer. But then again I'm an early Ice-T fan
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jan 2005, 14:27 »

fuck yeah chuck.  then again, sadly, i haven't heard that in years.

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jan 2005, 14:42 »

ForteBass, Cop Killa is for yes, especially the archival news footage of Charlton Heston reading off the lyrics to a press conference. "Die, die, die... die, pig... die."

Good music is ridiculously subjective. I personally think that good music is the type that grabs your attention, fascinates you, and is able to keep you listening. However, I know a guy whose essential philosophy is that if it does not involve a whammy bar and is not liked by a lot of sweaty guys in black, then it is crap. I highly disagree, but it remains his opinion on good music.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Malphas

What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jan 2005, 15:22 »

I'm going to have to go with 3Z3VH on this one.  This is also why most bands' first few albums tend to be the best.  That is where the artists are most passionate about their music and that comes through in every song.

meganjo23

• Emoticontraindication
What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jan 2005, 18:56 »

For me, good music is music that interests me. It has to have a creative tune, creative lyrics, and make me think. Also, I like to be able to relate to it. If i have no personal experience with what the song if about, then I wont be able to listen to it in the same depth that I would other songs, which makes the song less cool.
-Hey, what time is it?
-It's shirtless o'clock!

http://www.myspace.com/staticlove23

aekastar

What makes 'good' music?
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jan 2005, 01:01 »

Well, I have to feel intensely like I'm in love to deem something a good song.  I usually give a lot of things I listen to silent ratings based on my physical reaction towards the song.  the rating could lower over time depending; sometimes it's more lust than love, but if a song stands the test of time, I'll still feel affected by it years later.

That is rather vague, but if I gave a definite definition, I'd most likely like something totally different a few months from now, so yeah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up