THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

♪ It's a new poll, it's a new day, it's a new liiiife for me.... And I'm feeling.. ♪

good *♫duh duhh, duh duhh, duh duh dah dah dah♫*
Stars when you shine, you know how I feel
Scent of the pine, you know how I feel
yeah, FREEEEDOOOM is miiine, and you know how I feel
It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me
*sings in jazz scat*
And I'm feelin'... good.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3071 to 3075 (19th - 23rd October 2K15)  (Read 19949 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Strips 3071 to 3075 (19th - 23rd October 2K15)
« Reply #100 on: 23 Oct 2015, 10:59 »

Even in the original robot gender comic they referred to them having three settings. Male, Female and Neither.

Well, that's basically the same as us, in the end, isn't it?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #101 on: 23 Oct 2015, 11:14 »

Nah, there's a whole spectrum of genders out there.  It doesn't even touch on bigender people.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #102 on: 23 Oct 2015, 13:06 »

Jeph, in some long ago Q&A, said (if memory serves) that humans and AnthroPCs probably did fall in love with each other but that he wanted to stay far away from discussing robot sex.

He also said that the standard companionship contract specifies "nothing creepy".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #103 on: 23 Oct 2015, 13:35 »

Even in the original robot gender comic they referred to them having three settings. Male, Female and Neither.
The intended joke was 1s and 0s binary, being computers and all.  I wasn't trying to enforce a gender binary on the QCverse robots.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #104 on: 23 Oct 2015, 15:12 »

Humble May has Humility! (regarding what Dale did for her and herself as an "asshole" at the time)
Grateful May has Gratitude! (to Dale)
Insightful May is insightful! (Immediately understanding the Faye/Bubbles dynamic and the nature of the problems, and giving good advice!)
Friend May actually gives a crap about Faye's Survival! (Warnings are in order when you start messing with military training and PTSD)
and Horny May thinks Bubbles is awsomely sexy!

Whoa!  Five out of five for character development into a genuinely good person!  It turns out that May really and truly IS good  once you get past the rough presentation. 

And I don't know which way Bubbles swings (or WHETHER Bubbles has that kind of attraction to anyone at all) but knowing that someone thinks she's desirable and sexy rather than scary and threatening might be a darn good thing for her, even if "someone" expressed it crudely and probably wouldn't dare tell her in person until they knew each other a lot better.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #105 on: 23 Oct 2015, 20:39 »

Why do the robots have gender at all?  Their reproductive process can be reduced to copy/paste.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #106 on: 23 Oct 2015, 21:01 »

Why do the robots have gender at all?  Their reproductive process can be reduced to copy/paste.
IIRC it was already explained in a much earlier comic that AIs are born in some sort of AI creche.
Copy and paste just doesn't work with a dynamic system using unspecified processor technology.
It would be like doing an MRI using slow scan on a working pocket watch.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #107 on: 23 Oct 2015, 21:05 »

Also, gender isn't even needed for human reproduction - two agender people can have children just fine.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #108 on: 23 Oct 2015, 21:11 »

Some AIs, those that interact with humans a lot certainly, tend to emulate human behavior. Why is Pintsize so obsessed with butts? Why is any AI interested in human body parts. Why do most Anthro PCs stick with humanoid forms when they could be almost literally any shape they wanted. Part of it is to interact easier with humans.  Part of it does seem to be innate, likely from the fact that they are in part born from humanity, and have inherited some of our flaws and foibles. Consider the time Pintsize went on a date with a pink AnthroPC and things got weird because he assumed they were female, but it turned out they were male. Even through there was no physical interaction, and it really shouldn't make any difference.

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #109 on: 23 Oct 2015, 23:54 »

Getting away from the subject of human-cyborg relations (+10 cool points if you get that reference), does any one besides me find Dora and Tai conspicuous by their absence?  Were they not invited?  I know it's not been a whole lot of time since the firing but it saddens me to think that Dora and Faye's friendship (a relationship that apparently predates the QC series as a whole) might come to an end over it.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #110 on: 23 Oct 2015, 23:57 »

Why do most Anthro PCs stick with humanoid forms when they could be almost literally any shape they wanted. Part of it is to interact easier with humans.

As Gordon knows all too well.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #111 on: 24 Oct 2015, 00:25 »

It has nothing to do with reproduction and everything to do with social identity.
~~~~

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #112 on: 24 Oct 2015, 02:39 »

Getting away from the subject of human-cyborg relations (+10 cool points if you get that reference), does any one besides me find Dora and Tai conspicuous by their absence?  Were they not invited?  I know it's not been a whole lot of time since the firing but it saddens me to think that Dora and Faye's friendship (a relationship that apparently predates the QC series as a whole) might come to an end over it.

Yeah, it was Faye doing the inviting to this party, and things haven't been resolved between Faye and Dora. I expect Jeph will get around to having them patch things up some time in the next three or four years.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #113 on: 26 Oct 2015, 04:39 »

Besides Hanners, who's "family" anyway ("we adopted another one"), no one from CoD was there. Penelope would have said no, but now that you mention it, Cosette might have attended with Steve ... I suspect further developments when Marten next interacts with Tai at Smif, or more likely when Dora questions a hung-over Hanners.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #114 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:10 »

Why didn't Steve bring Cosette? It seemed like she wasn't there, or at the very least left while Steve was still there.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #115 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:18 »

Why didn't Steve bring Cosette? It seemed like she wasn't there, or at the very least left while Steve was still there.

Considering this was the last time we've seen Steve and Cosette together, I'm wondering if things may not be going well between them (and considering Steve's history, it would explain why he got sufficiently drunk to consider the bathroom floor a suitable bed...)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #116 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:20 »

One possibility: Conflicting shift at CoD.

Another possibility: Doesn't like Faye, won't go to her parties. She'll gladly pick up a drunk-ass Steve, though, which is why we might see her within a strip or two.

Considering this was the last time we've seen Steve and Cosette together, I'm wondering if things may not be going well between them (and considering Steve's history, it would explain why he got sufficiently drunk to consider the bathroom floor a suitable bed...)

Purely IMO, I don't think that this sequence had any reason to believe that the SS Stevcette is on the rocks. She walks out into the kitchen buck naked to ask Steve (with a cute affectionate nickname) what the noise was. Seems to be running smoothly to me!
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #117 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:24 »

Maybe she had to work? Remember this party was thrown together at the last minute. Since it appears to be taking place at night, it's not a surprise that Momo, Marten and Claire are there, they work days at the library. Marigold works from home and sets her own hours apparently. At least we've never really seen her working. The others seem to work different shifts, and at least in Dale's case he works a couple of jobs. So it's more surprising that they are all that. Steve has an unusual job, and apparently just got back from Canada, so not terribly surprising he's available, but that doesn't mean Cosette is. Besides, she's really only friend-adjacent in the comic. Kind of like Penny or Raven, they only show up when they're needed for the plot. Steve bounces back and forth between tertiary character and plot backup these days himself.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #118 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:28 »

The work reason works, but the "doesn't like Faye" doesn't because she does like Marten and probably most of the other people there.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up