- 12 (29.3%)
Rip the note up, destroying the evidence
- 0 (0%)
*still end up looking up brimping on Urban Dictionary*
- 17 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: 08 Nov 2015, 01:52

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3081 to 3085 (2-6 November 2015)  (Read 20794 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: WCDT Strips 3081 to 3085 (2-6 November 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 05 Nov 2015, 21:13 »

When did Faye start strangling her victims as sacrifices?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #101 on: 05 Nov 2015, 21:24 »

It's funny because Faye couldn't take a playful criticism far more mild than the genuinely malicious ones she gives out and reacted with physical violence.
oh god

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #102 on: 05 Nov 2015, 21:37 »

At the risk of taking a joke too seriously, that's a difference of habit between North America and Japan.  In N.A., when our glasses are sliding down our noses, we tend to push them back up by the bridge, while the Japanese tend to push them back up by the side.
I adjust my reading glasses using both hands, one on each ear-piece. I don't know what that means; my technique is not included in this useful guide, but then I am not Japanese, much less an anime character.

I like snarky Marten. Isn't this backsliding for the Pugnacious Peach, though? It's been a long time since she hit him.
It's rather a throw-back to the early days of the comic, and "comedic violence".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #103 on: 05 Nov 2015, 23:40 »

It's funny because Faye couldn't take a playful criticism far more mild than the genuinely malicious ones she gives out and reacted with physical violence.

Maybe I'm tired and am taking you more seriously than you intended, but fucking come on. I've been in two or three relationships with this kind of dynamic, and there's as much play in the punch as there is in the comment. It's the punchline, both of them know this, and yeah, it's painful, but it's not malicious. There's no intent to do damage, and both sides know this.

Nasty thug Faye is never far from the surface.

I'd point to what I just said, but this feels like more of a ridiculous exaggeration for comical effect. This is more over the top, and I can believe it is silly for silliness' sake.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #104 on: 05 Nov 2015, 23:44 »

Here's the thing... I don't think that Marten was kidding; is he really that naive? That said, I can't exactly blame Faye for being angry; she might be genuinely afraid on some level and all Marten was able to offer (at best) was something useless or (at worst) a wisecrack at her expense.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

EvilDuckyBec

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #105 on: 06 Nov 2015, 02:49 »

At the risk of taking a joke too seriously, that's a difference of habit between North America and Japan.  In N.A., when our glasses are sliding down our noses, we tend to push them back up by the bridge, while the Japanese tend to push them back up by the side.
I adjust my reading glasses using both hands, one on each ear-piece. I don't know what that means; my technique is not included in this useful guide, but then I am not Japanese, much less an anime character.

I usually adjust my (distance) glasses by wriggling my nose in a particular way - kind of wrinkling up one side and then the other, which lifts the nosepiece back into position when it slips. Is this not usual? Am... am I the only one?

(Worth noting: I have Faye-esque bad vision. Not quite as short-sighted, going by past comics, but getting there.)

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #106 on: 06 Nov 2015, 03:49 »

Interesting. The average person I know would respond with a slap to Marten's response, as it's more disrespectful.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #108 on: 06 Nov 2015, 04:49 »

So are people ignoring that this has pretty much always been Faye and Marten's friendship dynamic. Snark is how they communicate like 70% of the time. A light punch to the arm is just Faye's response when she's been out-snarked and doesn't have a comeback. Also consider this... Flippancy aside, Faye's probably rather nervous about going back to work and having to deal with Bubbles. Not because she's afraid that Bubbles is going to hit her, but she's afraid she's lost a friend and things will be uncomfortable. Marten was just lightening the mood with a joke at his own expense. Not unlike Pintsize's usual method of helping by giving people a target to work out their frustrations on.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #109 on: 06 Nov 2015, 09:02 »

I like snarky Marten. Isn't this backsliding for the Pugnacious Peach, though? It's been a long time since she hit him.
It's rather a throw-back to the early days of the comic, and "comedic violence".

I read it as self-deprecating humor on Faye's part.  This is a play-punch, not because she's mad at Marten, but because it's funny to act violent at someone right after that someone calls you violent. It has the same spirit as our mock-distress reaction to puns. 

Remember, violence is also communication.  And it can be light-hearted and friendly, just like any other communication. It can even be the "punch" line to a joke.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #110 on: 06 Nov 2015, 09:11 »

See, I don't read it as playful because every bit of that last panel looks genuinely aggressive.

If I thought the fourth panel looked playful, I wouldn't have any problem. Faye's eyebrows are a dark 'v' shape, she's pulled into a boxer's pose, her mouth is definitely upturned, Marten is cringing pretty hard and there's no hint of a smile to his expression either.

I'd be fine if this was being played as a joke, but it really doesn't look like it. It just makes me uncomfortable.
oh god

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #111 on: 06 Nov 2015, 11:08 »

I just think Faye's nervous about how things are gonna go with Bubbles after what happened and she just reacted as she usually does to Marten and her friends when she gets in that state.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #112 on: 06 Nov 2015, 11:13 »

I just think Faye is a bullying thug who has been enabled by her spineless friends. If any of my friends hit me they would be gone. The fact that it is Marten's housemate that hits him adds an unpleasant domestic abuse overtone.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #113 on: 06 Nov 2015, 11:43 »

You have different friendships with different people and a different look on those relationships than others might. You're also one hell of a harsh judge, using words like 'spineless.'

It's a subjective point, but I wouldn't classify their relationship as abusive. The punches are brought on by people making rude comments, there's never any lasting after-effects, physically or otherwise*, and it's ultimately all in good fun. I can't think of any significant example where Marten actually held back from something because Faye would hit him.

As to the appearance in the panels, again, I'm speaking from personal experience. One of my best friends in high school, that was her response to me making cruel(ish)jokes about her, and the face she made would be angry for a few seconds. Then she'd relax, because she'd shown how she felt about me being mean. There's no lasting effect from the punch, and trust me, there's no way Faye hits harder than this girl; our senior year of high school, she gave a sophomore a black eye for using a pick-up line on her.

*italicized because I'm aware that not all abusive relationships leave visible signs.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #114 on: 06 Nov 2015, 11:47 »

Wow, that's pretty absolute.  I'm guessing violence must mean a whole lot more (or a whole lot different) to you than it does to me.

I guess I've worked with violence in a lot of different contexts and where it has a lot of different meanings.  To someone who grew up in Savannah Georgia it's entirely reasonable that swapping a few light punches among friends is mainly just a way to communicate points (or, yes, make jokes) while avoiding wasted time, hurt feelings and escalation that would result from long drawn out sessions of passive-aggressive bitching or screaming about those points. 

But violence is very different for different people.  Soldiers, bar bouncers, bar brawlers, professional wrestlers, abused partners, excessively punished children, people who've acted in defense of themselves or their own -- every last one of them has a different thing that violence can mean to them.  Thinking it always means the same thing no matter what, or even that the people involved in a particular violence interpret it in exactly the same way,  is, IMO, not paying attention to who they are and  where they're coming from.

And, just FWIW, someone who smacks me on the arm to make a joke, or to make a point if I'm saying or doing something they think is stupid or evil, is something I take a whole lot more casually and lightly than someone who YELLS about things, or wants to have long-drawn-out discussions where nothing gets resolved except that other people besides themselves are morally and irredeemably wrong.  Those last behaviors -- yelling about things and blame-gaming -- are fast ways to end relationships with me because I won't stand for them as a general rule.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #115 on: 06 Nov 2015, 13:16 »

Morituri, thank you, that's what I wanted to say before I got side tracked, and I think you did it better than I would have managed.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up