• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

WWBD (What Would Bubbles Do)?

Punch Faye's head off of her shoulders and use it as a basketball
- 2 (4.3%)
Have a nervous breakdown and sob (or the Synthetic equivalent) on Faye's shoulder
- 0 (0%)
Observe a chilly silence and be happy to have that
- 7 (15.2%)
Deliver a monologue to Faye about how dangerous she is and how she understands Faye wants nothing to do with her
- 2 (4.3%)
Act like a scolded puppy-dog and hover around Faye, being sour and biting but hoping for Faye to talk to her
- 3 (6.5%)
Act like an adult and apologise for losing her temper (Yeah, I know, unlikely)
- 15 (32.6%)
Avoid Faye like the plague, going so far as to lock herself in the supply closet whenever Faye is in their work-space
- 1 (2.2%)
Quit and apply for a new, peaceful gig as a DORD
- 5 (10.9%)
None of the above.
- 0 (0%)
Install herself in a Firefly-class transport ship and become a big damn hero
- 11 (23.9%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: 15 Nov 2015, 12:28

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3086-3090 (9th to 13th November 2015)  (Read 23993 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT Strips 3086-3090 (9th to 13th November 2015)
« Reply #150 on: 13 Nov 2015, 15:30 »

Better than a loose seal.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #151 on: 13 Nov 2015, 15:37 »

Is no-one else hoping Momo's come there to fight? She's small, but she could probably kick ass like River. Not a power in the 'verse can stop her :P

A large piece of me hopes she takes the title.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #152 on: 13 Nov 2015, 17:50 »

I wonder if her electrical discharge is a legal weapon in robot fights. Her ring name could be "The Electro-Cutie".  :claireface:

a much better question is this: how many of her old components got ported over to her current chassis?

Given that she shocked Clinton so much that his shoe ended up on the top of City Hall...

(EDIT: Had to search for the exact comic...)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #153 on: 13 Nov 2015, 18:01 »

Can I be a bio-droid?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #154 on: 13 Nov 2015, 18:12 »

Y'know, this comic has me wondering if the Robot Fighting arena is even a secret or if like everyone actually knows about it but they just go, eh, why bother them. Cause they're not so good at keeping said secret from the looks of it.

"Secret" AKA "better here, where we know about it and at least there are some form of rules to ensure safety, and no bystanders are injured".

Corpse Witch could stand to host a few seminars on what "secret" means though.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #155 on: 13 Nov 2015, 18:28 »

"He turned to the robot, and said
'You picked a fine time to leave me loose eel' "

"Four hundred amperes, just for copping a feel ..."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #156 on: 13 Nov 2015, 19:28 »

Well this is one poorly managed skate park.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #157 on: 13 Nov 2015, 19:41 »

Well this is one poorly managed skate park.

I dunno, I've seen worse. Like the one near where I lived that had to be closed because (1) they had no insurance, (2) it was in an indoor carpark with nothing separating the skate park and the cars (seriously, a high enough jump and you went from skate park to car park) and (3) left the surfaces for skating in a deplorable state. The walls were like the bastard children of coarse sandpaper and pebbledash

Fun times (watching people crashing while trying to skate).

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #158 on: 13 Nov 2015, 19:44 »

Did the fact that it was closed stop people from skating there?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #159 on: 13 Nov 2015, 19:51 »

Now that I noticed, isn't the dude in panel 3 that's talking with Barry (it was Barry right?) in what appears to be a male version of May's chassis? I wonder if 1.- he's an ex-convict and 2.- how many ex-convicts are in this situation (that of having to fight to earn some money).
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #160 on: 13 Nov 2015, 19:56 »

Are you saying all blue robots are ex-cons? Dangerous thinking there :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #161 on: 13 Nov 2015, 19:59 »

Not really. I'm saying that, based on the data that May provided (cheap chassis given to her) and that Jeph provided (The specs), he could have been in that situation. It could also be that he couldn't find a cheaper chassis ofc.

And it could also be that it's 5am and my thoughts aren't as clear as they should be.

EDIT: I also thought at the moment that maybe they weren't available for public purchase (as in this being a government contract or something like that). Again, not my finest hour.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #162 on: 13 Nov 2015, 20:02 »

"He turned to the robot, and said
'You picked a fine time to leave me loose eel' "

"Four hundred amperes, just for copping a feel ..."

I felt obliged to explain to my wife why I was laughing so hard.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #163 on: 13 Nov 2015, 20:36 »

she shoulda stayed with May.

May can't go anywhere near robot fight club while she's still on parole.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #164 on: 13 Nov 2015, 21:26 »

i do believe that's the point kugai was trying to make

Not really. I'm saying that, based on the data that May provided (cheap chassis given to her) and that Jeph provided (The specs), he could have been in that situation. It could also be that he couldn't find a cheaper chassis ofc.

And it could also be that it's 5am and my thoughts aren't as clear as they should be.

EDIT: I also thought at the moment that maybe they weren't available for public purchase (as in this being a government contract or something like that). Again, not my finest hour.

somehow, i doubt that a cheap'n'shitty prison-issue chassis would do well in the illegal pit-fighting circuit. letting people enter who aren't at least marginally combat-ready really doesn't make for much in the way of entertainment value, or profits for the bookies.

unless it was like a 50 on 1 match, or something like that i suppose. "Tonight only, DEATHBOT v5.2.11b vs THE ARMY OF N00BS"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #165 on: 13 Nov 2015, 21:34 »

Good point.  If Gordon/Gary is a spider, and there are all the obviously non-human looking chassis around, it's safe to say that AIs probably have a different standard when it comes to personal looks.  Momo wants to pass, and be considered like a human.  May probably doesn't care, considering that she probably still wants to be a fighter jet.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #166 on: 13 Nov 2015, 21:39 »

TOMORROW
is your reward for working safely Today.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #167 on: 14 Nov 2015, 06:31 »

Did the fact that it was closed stop people from skating there?
Yeah, it did, mainly because the car park bought the skate park and extended the number of spaces it could offer.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #168 on: 14 Nov 2015, 11:51 »

On the other hand if you're entering a car in the Demolition Derby you don't enter the most expensive car you own. We could be looking at the chassis he wears for the fighting ring because when it gets broken the parts and repairs are inexpensive.  Even if it's not powerful/fast enough to make much prize money, that's all right if the prize money it makes can keep it repaired. 

He may have another chassis that looks like a puppy, or a gothic-lolita doll two feet tall modeled after Rozen Maiden.  Or, you know, he might live on a server downtown, spends his weekdays optimizing utility usage for city buildings, and this is how he goes out on the town on weekends.

As for the robot fighting ring being "secret", that's crock.  No place that relies on customers being present can be secret from the customers.  No coordinated action that recruits people can be secret from the population they're recruiting from.  And the police are members of the same populations.  QED.  That's sort of like the idiot BART protesters last year who couldn't figure out how the cops always knew where they were going to be - of course they were coordinating the whole deal on social media and that was all public, but they were still convinced the cops couldn't know unless somebody was ratting them out. 

In most cities across the US, prostitution is illegal.  But a traveler in an unfamiliar city can pick up a darn phone book and immediately identify places to call for a temporary partner of negotiable affection.  Seriously, just look!  If actual prostitution is illegal there, they'll be under some easily-identifable misclassification like 'massage' or something, and while the adverts won't actually say sex-for-money, they'll use pretty much every euphemism short of that.  Are the cops actually dumber than the average traveling salesman, or would busting the hookers just interfere with their profits?

And this is why I think any law which isn't 100% enforced at every opportunity should be repealed instead.  If something is neither clearly legal nor illegal with quick and effective enforcement, it merely promotes government corruption because the agents of the government will be able to shake it down for a cut of the profits in exchange for failing to do their jobs.

Underground fighting ring?  Same deal.  Customers know where to come, competitors know where to come, QED Cops know it too.  Not being busted means there are cops on the take, just like with prostitution.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #169 on: 14 Nov 2015, 13:34 »

Someone once pointed out that honest cops do just the same thing, only they get paid with information and tipoffs instead of wrinkly heavily used cash.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

« Reply #170 on: 14 Nov 2015, 14:10 »

Let me understand; you're saying that "honest" cops only engage in extortion for information? 

Sure, that sounds legit.  But that only makes me want to repeal the extortion laws if they're not going to be enforced.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #171 on: 14 Nov 2015, 14:49 »

You know that you need actual proof of illegal conduct to arrest someone right?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #172 on: 14 Nov 2015, 15:17 »

You know that you need actual proof of illegal conduct to arrest someone right?
No, you need "reasonable suspicion" to arrest them. Proof is only required for conviction.

The problems happen when officers interpret "reasonable suspicion" to include such things as "he just looked like the type, y'know" and "my boss told me the guy was a crook" and the courts interpret "proof" to include stuff like "well they must have arrested him for some reason" and "the newspapers said they were a bad'un" especially when the alleged crime is a capital one and you're in a executing state.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #173 on: 14 Nov 2015, 16:53 »

Of course that is the problem. What I was saying is that even if you have reasonable suspicion of some of the acts Morituri mentioned, they're very hard to prove. Specially the prostitution example he's giving, because you don't know if the worker wasn't actually providing <insert service advertised here> and afterwards have sex because it's amazing or a similar reason.

Morituri

« Reply #174 on: 14 Nov 2015, 19:14 »

Anyway, my point was that there is absolutely, positively NO WAY the cops don't know about the illegal fighting ring.

You can speculate all you want about why they're not making arrests.  My speculation is that the police and/or judicial, as usual where there are laws that are not vigorously enforced, are engaging in extortion. 

Storel

« Reply #175 on: 14 Nov 2015, 21:12 »

Anyway, my point was that there is absolutely, positively NO WAY the cops don't know about the illegal fighting ring.

You can speculate all you want about why they're not making arrests.  My speculation is that the police and/or judicial, as usual where there are laws that are not vigorously enforced, are engaging in extortion.

Or the cops may just not be very interested because, as May points out, "It's only illegal for boring reasons. Nobody gets killed or anything." They may be more interested in stopping crimes that actually hurt people, like murder and robbery. Nobody gets big promotions for busting a business for not having insurance.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #176 on: 14 Nov 2015, 21:17 »

Actually, promotions are based partly on the number of arrests the officer makes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

« Reply #177 on: 14 Nov 2015, 21:20 »

But do they arrest people for not having insurance? If you don't have car insurance, they just suspend your driver's license until you get some insurance. If a business doesn't have some required insurance, I'd assume they'd just close the business until the insurance was obtained.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #178 on: 14 Nov 2015, 22:23 »

If the fight club doesn't have a business license then official responses could range all the way up to the Santa Ana marijuana shop raid.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #179 on: 15 Nov 2015, 13:48 »

As I've said before, it may be that the Robot Fight Club is technically illegal, with the appropriate laws on the books, but it may be one of those activities that, while illegal, has a 'Blind Eye' turned towards it for various social reasons.

Undoubtedly, law enforcement will, on occasion, move in to to a raid or two, but I would suspect that that's more a PR Exercise just to keep the anal retentives happy, and unless something really serious is going on, it'll be more a case of 'Catch and Release' with a fine or a 30 day sentence kind of enforcement.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up