THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What will happen this month?

Ardent meets new lovely ladies, attempts to woo them.
- 9 (39.1%)
Gavia meets new people, attempts to set them on fire.
- 2 (8.7%)
Alice punches out a mountain.
- 2 (8.7%)
Night Walker: "Hey, guys! Wait up!"
- 6 (26.1%)
Ugly fight between Cora Goodwell and Margaret Wheelwright.
- 4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Grove MCDT - November 2015  (Read 40681 times)

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: Alice Grove MCDT - November 2015
« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2015, 13:01 »

And, argh, don't get me started about your 'th' consonant!  NOBODY (except German, again and some further-north European languages) has a consonant like that!
German doesn't have that sound, actually. We have soft and hard ch to compensate. On the other hand, with Spanish and Arabic two of the most widespread languages on earth do have soft as well as hard th sounds, afaik.

I wasn't talking about the amount of consonants (growing up with Angstschweiß and stuff), but rather about the specific syllable 'blernd' (or blearned or however you would want to spell it).

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #51 on: 21 Nov 2015, 14:06 »

The "th" sound is closer to a middle ground between "d" and "c/z" in Spanish, honestly. Just because people from Madrid say "madriz" it doesn't mean it isn't a "d" sound in the end.

And Morituri, exactly what do you mean by "Sane" language? Because I think only Italian and Spanish fall under your description.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #52 on: 21 Nov 2015, 16:07 »

And, argh, don't get me started about your 'th' consonant!

Boring.  How many distinct British pronunciations of "ough" can you come up with? (You can hear me speak ten in the second half of this recording, listed in this post.)
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2015, 16:18 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #53 on: 21 Nov 2015, 16:34 »

Eh.  Whatever. 

While people following English spelling rules would never come up with 'blernd', people who grew up pronouncing English words have no reason to have trouble with it. 

And for everyone else:  Math is easy.  French was easy.  English is HARD.

In a few months study you can make yourself understood, which is a lower bar for basic communication than most;  but really being good at it; understanding people at full speed and speaking properly with the right sounds so you don't sound like a foreigner, and the right grammar and the spellings and everything, is RIDICULOUSLY hard. 

And whatever you claim, any language where you can have five consonants in a row at the end of a syllable that started with three consonants in a row, IS crazy. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #54 on: 21 Nov 2015, 16:36 »

The Czech word for ice cream has no vowels, as I recall.

I knew a Pole who would sometimes spell his name Christoph, and sometimes Krzysztof.  I never discovered the function of that z.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #55 on: 21 Nov 2015, 17:07 »

One of my colleagues is Polish, first name Krzysztof, but he usually goes by Kris. The "sz" is pronounced like English "sh". If the name were Czech, the "rz" would be a really rare sound, which I can't describe; Polish and Czech are closely related, so I suspect that at one time the Polish "rz" was pronounced like the Czech one, but by this time it's simplified to just "zh". (Kzhishtof, in other words.)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #56 on: 21 Nov 2015, 17:10 »

The Czech word for ice cream has no vowels, as I recall.

I knew a Pole who would sometimes spell his name Christoph, and sometimes Krzysztof.  I never discovered the function of that z.

Yes, but that's not a consonant, for speaking purposes.  That's just a spelling convention.  I don't know about what Polish does with it, but I suppose that It's probably like English where certain spellings are not part of your possibilities, or where you signal which version of a vowel you used by sticking in letters that usually stand for other sounds, but which aren't pronounced when they are used as signals. 

That's the kind of rule 'blernd' violates - 'ernd' isn't allowed as a _spelling_, so you stick an 'e' and an 'a' that you don't pronounce into words like 'earned' when you write down a syllable that uses that _sound_.   

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #57 on: 21 Nov 2015, 18:08 »

IIRC, in Sanskrit (still sticking with the Indo-European language family), what are commonly translated as ṛ or ṝ are considered semi-vowels, with the former being much like the "re" in pretty. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #58 on: 22 Nov 2015, 07:33 »

'ernd' isn't allowed as a _spelling_
In a regular word, but you're ignoring the fact that names aren't bound by language rules.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 22 Nov 2015, 18:28 »

Math is easy.  French was easy.  English is HARD.

And Finnish is impossible.  :-\
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #60 on: 23 Nov 2015, 13:27 »

I thought that was Welsh?!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #61 on: 23 Nov 2015, 13:43 »

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #62 on: 23 Nov 2015, 13:46 »

Thank you for making my point for me

:-D  ;)
James The Kugai 

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #63 on: 23 Nov 2015, 13:47 »

Ydy, mae'r Gymraeg yn amhosibl.

Mwy o dystiolaeth.

Since I was a little late with this.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #64 on: 23 Nov 2015, 13:48 »

T'hoH??
James The Kugai 

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #65 on: 23 Nov 2015, 20:06 »

Y'know, I'm really starting to lose faith in Alice as a caretaker. What's-His-Name's worry about Gavia burning the town while Alice was distracted is proving more and more to be legitimate, since twice now in the past minute has Ardent ended up in mortal danger while she was looking the other way.
Don't mind me.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #66 on: 23 Nov 2015, 23:23 »

... since twice now in the past minute has Ardent ended up in mortal danger while she was looking the other way.

You're missing the real point: She was distracted with Gavia. I suspect that Gavia isn't anywhere near as likely as Ardent is to be able to get up to mischief/in trouble without Alice being around.

I'm not sure what kind of relationship is developing between the two of them; big sister/bratty younger sister is the closest I can get. My guess is that Gavia shares lots of personality characteristics with Alice. This fascinates her; she hasn't had a disputant to debate with on her intellectual level probably for millennia so she's really the focus of Alice's attention right now.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

mikmaxs

« Reply #67 on: 24 Nov 2015, 10:30 »

... since twice now in the past minute has Ardent ended up in mortal danger while she was looking the other way.

You're missing the real point: She was distracted with Gavia. I suspect that Gavia isn't anywhere near as likely as Ardent is to be able to get up to mischief/in trouble without Alice being around.

I'm not sure what kind of relationship is developing between the two of them; big sister/bratty younger sister is the closest I can get. My guess is that Gavia shares lots of personality characteristics with Alice. This fascinates her; she hasn't had a disputant to debate with on her intellectual level probably for millennia so she's really the focus of Alice's attention right now.
Sure, that's nice, but she was only distracted with Gavia the *first* time that Ardent was put in danger. The second time, she was actually talking directly to Ardent, and got caught up in her monologue.

It's not necessarily a bad character trait, having her be so old and overconfident that she actually doesn't consider the dangers all around her, leading to other people being injured or put at risk. I'm just pointing out that, good character or no, she isn't shaping up to be a good caretaking figure.
Don't mind me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #68 on: 24 Nov 2015, 10:37 »

At what point was she supposed to be? Her handling of the town seems to be hands off until they get into trouble or her authority is challenged. Then she goes for the throat. She does the same for the kids. She lets them get into trouble, then steps in to fix it when real danger is about to happen. Also, as far as the giant chameleons go, she wasn't expecting them to be active, so wasn't looking out for an attack from them. It wasn't like  the batsloth where it was right in front of her. And the fact that she didn't immediately react and kill the giant chameleon likely means Ardent isn't in that much danger from them.

mikmaxs

« Reply #69 on: 24 Nov 2015, 10:54 »

At what point was she supposed to be?
Maybe when she told Gavia "You're with me this time, you have nothing to worry [about]." Or when she physically threatened Jebediah for questioning the safety of her actions, and used the fact that she was the one in charge as a reason why she shouldn't be questioned.

Also, as far as the giant chameleons go, she wasn't expecting them to be active, so wasn't looking out for an attack from them.
Is this supposed to help my confidence in her? "She wasn't arrogant, just incompetent!" The fact of the matter is, she assumed she had things under control, and then was immediately surprised by something happening that she didn't expect. I doubt Jeph is going to kill someone off, especially this early in the overarching story, but if the Chameleon is something that would kill Ardent quickly, or if it had been some other viscous predator that was more immediately threatening, or if the Batsloth had attacked a second before Alice reacted...
Don't mind me.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #70 on: 24 Nov 2015, 11:03 »

Apparently they're Chamelee-Yummy!

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #71 on: 24 Nov 2015, 13:17 »

The blood on Alice' arm disappeared rather quickly.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 24 Nov 2015, 14:07 »

Just a subtle reminder there that Alice has pretty much seen it all in her time. Watching a girl use nanotech-magic to kill a giant chameleon? Well, she's more worried that the best cuts get salvaged for provisions!

Yeah, well Jeph isn't on the top of his game right now; I think that we need to make allowances for that.
~~~~

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #73 on: 24 Nov 2015, 14:11 »

Well, that's Dinner taken care of.
James The Kugai 

mikmaxs

« Reply #74 on: 24 Nov 2015, 16:47 »

Well, Gavia gets points for rescuing her little brother.

And we have confirmation that she is actually up for combat beyond scaring a few natives!
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #75 on: 24 Nov 2015, 16:52 »

"You are not eating my delightful tail!"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mikmaxs

« Reply #76 on: 24 Nov 2015, 16:57 »

Unrelated to the Chameleon, but... Is Gavia gaining weight? Her hair is certainly more unkempt than it was in her first appearance, (Nice subtle touch on the art, by the way,) but comparing her first appearance on (what is currently) Comic 91, she's gotten less skinny. She's almost twig-like there, with a narrow face, tiny neck, scrawny (almost emaciated) arms, and really thin body, but as of the last few comics, she's gained some mass and looks a lot healthier. I'd chalk it up to art development, except that Ardent and Alice look almost identical to their first appearances. (Minus wardrobe changes for Ardent and the addition of shading after Gavia's introduction.)

So... Maybe Gavia is putting on a little muscle now that she's actually having to be active and do things? (Even if she has micro machines do all the work for her, she's still moving around more than I presume she normally would.) Or am I reading too much into this?
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #77 on: 24 Nov 2015, 17:16 »

Maybe!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #78 on: 24 Nov 2015, 17:20 »

It wouldn't surprise me really. I imagine their diet changed quite a bit after being abandoned on Earth as well. They don't seem to have pie up there after all. So it stands to reason the kids might start putting on a bit of weight and muscle mass. It just might not show on Ardent yet because some of those extra calories went into rebuilding his delightful tail.

mikmaxs

« Reply #79 on: 24 Nov 2015, 17:34 »

It just might not show on Ardent yet because some of those extra calories went into rebuilding his delightful tail.
Then again, Ardent is also doing actual physical labor and was (presumably) physically active before the comic started, so the different diet probably wouldn't be as much of a system shock for him and he's likely to be burning a lot more calories than his sister.
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #80 on: 24 Nov 2015, 17:55 »

Oh, he's physically active alright.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 24 Nov 2015, 22:57 »

It wouldn't surprise me really. I imagine their diet changed quite a bit after being abandoned on Earth as well. They don't seem to have pie up there after all. So it stands to reason the kids might start putting on a bit of weight and muscle mass. It just might not show on Ardent yet because some of those extra calories went into rebuilding his delightful tail.

I suspect that Gavia's attitude towards herself was that she was a floating, biological computer that interacted with its environment via nanotech, so she probably subsisted on vitamin and other supplements (perhaps even taken intravenously) rather than real food. Now, that's changed; she's having to eat real food and, whilst she's still mostly relying on her nanotech, I've got the feeling that Alice may be requiring her to do stuff physically. So, her body is bulking up. I'm wondering if she'll even recognise herself in a few months' time.
~~~~

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #82 on: 25 Nov 2015, 13:09 »

Indeed

I wonder if there will come a point where Gavia actually stops relying so much on her Nanotech abilities.  This may be part of the lesson that the Praeses wanted Alice to teach her.
James The Kugai 

Verteiron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #83 on: 01 Dec 2015, 08:06 »

Obviously she licked it off. No sense in wasting protein, is there?

I wonder if there will come a point where Gavia actually stops relying so much on her Nanotech abilities.  This may be part of the lesson that the Praeses wanted Alice to teach her.

I think the Praeses is targeting Alice for lesson-teaching, myself.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #84 on: 01 Dec 2015, 12:42 »

Not to dig up an old argument, but I found this thing which claims to identify origins of names by their phonetics. It identifies "Blernd Frith" as "GreaterEuropean, British."

edit -- On the other hand it also rates "Kim Jong-Il" as British.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2015, 15:13 by cesium133 »
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #85 on: 01 Dec 2015, 21:14 »

At least we know that if she'd accidentally killed someone while burning the forest down when she arrived, she'd have felt really bad about it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up