THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 03:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is Gary?  (Read 3026 times)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Who is Gary?
« on: 22 Nov 2015, 09:23 »

When I went to the QC wiki and looked under Robots and found Gary .... Wait, what?  There's a JumpingSpider bot named Gary?  I thought all those appearances were Gordon! 

I was thinking of THIS Gary... 

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2070

Who, in my estimation, is a huge freakin' Chekhov's Gun sitting there right on the mantle, with a cheery fire blazing under it and keeping those bullets toasty warm. 

I suppose it could be Station pulling a practical joke, but it certainly doesn't seem to be his style.

And what does it mean that the message was supposedly sent to every email and every computer on the planet, but the AnthroPC herself did not get her own copy of the message?  Was that a message specifically to humans?  If so how did Gary manage to keep AnthroPC's from finding out about it, because, dude, they're in their people's email all the time!  Was that weird jumble of data some kind of thing that specifically makes AnthroPCs forget seeing the message? 

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Who is Gary?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2015, 09:29 »

And what does it mean that the message was supposedly sent to every email and every computer on the planet, but the AnthroPC herself did not get her own copy of the message?

That's the simplest part to answer - Momo was "born" in 2003 if we're going by her age and AprilArcus' timeline (which was inspired by a side commentary by Jeph saying that QC took place simultaneously in 2006 and present time). That means she just wasn't around when the message was sent.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2015, 09:31 »

When I went to the QC wiki and looked under Robots and found Gary .... Wait, what?  There's a JumpingSpider bot named Gary?  I thought all those appearances were Gordon! 
Jeph referred to Gordon as Gary in his comment under this comic.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2015, 12:08 »

Maybe there is a Gary and a Gordon? Those chassis' are adorable, perhaps many AI desire them. They would certainly be popular with people who like spiders. They could be a little club! This could be their club president!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2015, 12:32 »

It is entirely possible that Jeph simply made a mistake and misremembered Gordon's name. He's made mistakes like that before.

I, however, choose to believe that Gary the Transcendent temporarily took over Gordon's chassis in order to make contact with John Ellicott-Chatham through his daughter.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2015, 15:23 »

Maurice / Marcel springs to mind. 

Well, my mind, at least. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2015, 13:26 »

But would their Theme Song be the Gay Gordon or Gary Owen?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2015, 13:06 »

Gordon has such an awesome chassis that I assume there would be demand for more than one.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2015, 02:21 »

Gary is an Illuminati - an actual historical thing that has been blown out all all proportion and become an urban legend.

Gary is the name of the AI who is responsible for housekeeping at Mt Cheyenne, Colorado, the home of NORAD. He isn't actually hooked up to any of the defence department's systems, rather he just controls the janitorial and maintenance robots as well as keeping the canteens stocked. For a long time "Gary's Life" was a popular blog by an insider in the pressure cooker of NORAD. Although he was very firm on not breaking any secrecy and confidentiality rules, the generals eventually asked him to take down the blog as it was making them look stupid.

Now, although Gary was never in a position of any real power, the conspiracy theorists just couldn't believe this. So, Gary became the Skynet of the QC universe. These days, he works for Google, managing the Blogger subsystem and ensuring all Blogs are in line with the Terms of Service (a vast task that only a high-level AI can manage). He considers all the chatter about him being a Virtual God very, very funny and still talks to a few private friends within the AI community about his views on the whole thing on occasion.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2015, 13:27 »

In the meantime, as a way to burn off the frustration and anger even he feels sometimes, he does Robot Fight Club in a second body under the pseudonym Hank The Disassembler.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up