THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random ads preventing access  (Read 3441 times)

EspyPsyche

• Not quite a lurker
  • Stalker in the night...
Random ads preventing access
« on: 27 Nov 2015, 14:20 »

I was looking at some old strips (right around when May meets Hanners for the first time), and every time I pressed "next" an ad would come up and take up the entire browser window. It said it would close in 10 seconds and return me to the site, but it didn't. I tried to follow the "go to site" link on the ad, but it didn't work. It was just the ad. I had to use the browser's back button and return to the previous comic, which then got covered by a different ad.

Is anyone else having this issue? It's not pop-up ads, they're in the actual QC browser tab, preventing access.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Random ads preventing access
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2015, 15:30 »

IIRC, Jeph can ban ads that cause problems.  Personally, I just use an adblocker and toss him money via Patreon.  Edit:  I actually *have* whitelisted projectwonderful.com, who serve other webcomic artists as well.  I haven't seen any crap or malware coming from them, the offenders seem to be through google's adverts.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2015, 15:51 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2015, 15:39 »

The best advice I can think of is to make a note of who the ad is from and email Jeph about it. He's blocked troublesome advertisers before.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2015, 05:29 »

You should, unfortunately, block ads on qc. They're just too malicious too often. Especially in the archives(I think they actually avoid the main page so they won't get noticed by Jeph. Of course it could just be more hits, more likely the bad ones come up).

You could also try navigating with the arrow keys instead of clicking forward. That might bypass them. And it's much more convenient.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2015, 03:43 »

Do you use Chrome, by any chance? I had this problem constantly with Chrome until I finally gave up on it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2015, 13:48 »

Ad Blocker is the best option if you don't want to dump Chrome.  I use Firefox myself and have Ad Blocker installed as well. 

I use Ad Blocker Plus and Ad Blocker Plus Popup Blocker addon
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2015, 02:00 »

uBlock origin is also good.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2015, 03:39 »

I use AdGuard which does well for me.

2018 update - my browser, Opera, has a built-in ad blocker now which works as well as the add-ons.  So I use that.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2018, 00:50 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2018, 23:01 »

Not sure if there is a better place to report this but I was viewing today's strip on mobile and the page got hijacked by a phishing ad claiming I'd won a prize. Can't back out of it either.

Is there a good place to notify site admins about malicious ads appearing on the strip?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2018, 00:49 »

Email Jeph at the address given on the contact page.  He will not respond, but he does read and react.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: [1]   Go Up