THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 04:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How is May Doing?

She's developed an addiction to electric shocks and is constantly trying to anger Momo into zapping her again
She's been recruited by Steve's old employers who are thinking of uploading her into an old Decepticon Seeker chassis
She crashed because of the taser jolt and is currently stuffed in Dale's closet until (if) she reboots
The Taser jolt has massively corrupted her personality settings and she's now "Miss May Sunshine"
Somehow, the Taser knocked her 'language' setting to 'Spanish (Mexico)'
She's her usual ornery self
She's decided that, if she's not going to be allowed to be a fighter jet, she's going to do the next best thing: She's taken up freefall parachuting
She's decided that the convenience store isn't right for her; Dora is about to get a robot Deputy Manager

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7th-11th December 2015 (Strips 3106-3110)  (Read 25981 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT 7th-11th December 2015 (Strips 3106-3110)
« on: 06 Dec 2015, 10:56 »

You can tell that I didn't have any original ideas for the poll, don't you?

As for the strip this week, I'm thinking that we're going to see phase 2 of Tai's attempt to get Dora out of her indecision loop. I've not a nasty feeling that, as usual, poor Marten is going to be drafted into helping Dora sort out the drama that is her life. Again. If things go that way, I've got an idea of him getting together Faye, Hannelore and Sven so they can jointly knock some sense into her head. This will lead to... catharsis, especially for Faye. It might also lead to some unexpected outcomes for several characters.

BTW - The thought of May working at CoD as a sort of Synthetic Faye does appeal to me. Her interaction with Hannelore 'The Daughter of God' Ellicott-Chatham may also be an interesting character arc.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

swapna

• Curry sauce
Re: WCDT 7th-11th December 2015 (Strips 3106-3110)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2015, 11:47 »

Well, I hope Marten isn't drafted, for four reasons:

one:   Dora has Tai now, and she can work things through with her. She should, because Tai is actually much better for her than Marten
two:   Since the Hospital-Faye incident, I'm having a lot less faith in Martens decision-making skills
three: It's getting old.
four:   When Dora sees that Faye is better off than if she hadn't fired her, it might lead to all kinds of complicated emotions.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2015, 11:49 »

The mayhem caused by May at CoD will be world ending

And I think we'll finally see Dora at her Therapist - with Tai dragging her there by her ear.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2015, 12:35 »

You can tell that I didn't have any original ideas for the poll, don't you?

It's my favourite poll in awhile, actually!
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2015, 15:30 »

Well I'm calling shenanigans this week.

Either that or more discourse from the players of this little show.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec 2015, 16:39 »

I'm in favor of May becoming the resident Faye-placement at CoD.

I'm only slightly more optimistic as to what that would mean than Kugai.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2015, 18:38 »

So, Comic.

I can already feel Penelope tell Emily "well, it's how we do the hirings here. You can ask Dora about my training day".

Also for some reason we're back to comic number 3104.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Spiritz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec 2015, 18:39 »

Wow, this is the first time I've liked Dora in a while.  Also, really like how Penelope looked in the comic. 

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #8 on: 06 Dec 2015, 18:47 »

Is it just me, or does Cosette look like she has terrible posture in panel 1?

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 06 Dec 2015, 18:50 »

In panel 5 too, now that you've mentioned it.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #10 on: 06 Dec 2015, 19:00 »

Dora may have a messed up personal life, and serious issues, but yeah, she knows how to make the right decisions WRT her business.  Pen2 is the only sane choice for manager (Dale is too new, Hanners might not be able to do with the anxiety, and Cosette is a walking disaster area), and Hanners is certainly fastidious enough to learn the roaster.  And hell, if Pen2 can be press-ganged into employment, so can Emily.  Which is an excuse for Jeph to keep her regularly in the comic, now that the summer internship is over.

And, I'm sorry other QC characters, Hanners in panel four ensures that she will be the most adorable cast member for quite some time.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

dreed

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #11 on: 06 Dec 2015, 19:10 »

hanners can handle books of multi-national mega corp.  Roaster isn't going give her single challenge.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec 2015, 19:12 »

Knowing some of Cosette's misadventures I wouldn't be surprised if she has weird posture as a result of one of them.

I wonder if Raven won't make a re-appearance, and we'll see a battle between her and Emily for the final CoD position.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #13 on: 06 Dec 2015, 19:36 »

Dora embraces crowdsourcing!
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2015, 19:56 »

Knowing some of Cosette's misadventures I wouldn't be surprised if she has weird posture as a result of one of them.

Her terrible posture also might be the result of trying to look smaller.  Okay, I'm tall, and she's rather short, but I do notice my posture frequently get worse when I'm anxious, just from trying to hide from whatever it is that is bothering me.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #15 on: 06 Dec 2015, 19:57 »

Please note, "everybody" doesn't include Raven.

Also, really like how Penelope looked in the comic.
Seems like she's had a redesign. She looks... wrong somehow.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #16 on: 06 Dec 2015, 20:00 »

If Everybody doesn't include Raven, then is Raven not Somebody?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Deadcoder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #17 on: 06 Dec 2015, 20:12 »

Well, we know Raven cuts back her hours for the school year, and we know that school is back, since the librarian internships have ended and everyone is all summery, so maybe Raven is back down to the rank of "Coworker we never see unless Jeph feels like it because he got tired of her and there's a reason not to have her in here right now". Emily will fill the role of Raven until next summer.

On a related note, I would have broken the position of Ass. Manager into two cheeks: one for pen^2 and one for hanners. Penelope would handle the scheduling and admin work. Hannelore would deal with the accounting and inventory. We know Hannelore kicks ass at counting stuff and doing finances, having done both for her previous and possibly second job.

Holy shit. I just realized: Raven and Emily are meant for similar roles. Does that mean we will one day loose Emily? VERY NO!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #18 on: 06 Dec 2015, 20:37 »

hanners can handle books of multi-national mega corp.  Roaster isn't going give her single challenge.

It's not a matter of being a challenge, but of having someone "particular" enough to ensure that a precise and delicate roasting process is carried out to the letter.  If Dora's to trust anyone with her "secret" process, Hanners is really the only choice. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #19 on: 06 Dec 2015, 21:08 »

I AM 112% IN FAVOR OF EMILY HAVING A NEW JOB AT COD
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 06 Dec 2015, 21:12 »

Indeed.  Hanners will be very particular in following Doras instructions.

Penelope really is a good choice for the AM job.

And it seems that Emily now has a paying job.  Timings everything it would appear.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #21 on: 06 Dec 2015, 21:25 »

"Now I know we had a flighty brunette working here... well, Emily's standing there, so I guess she'll do."

scandina

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 06 Dec 2015, 21:45 »

I'm pretty sure it's the hand. The hands have been getting shrunken for a while now, but it hasn't been that bad until Penelope this comic.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #23 on: 06 Dec 2015, 21:46 »

"Now I know we had a flighty brunette working here... well, Emily's standing there, so I guess she'll do."

And Emily *does* know how to make a banana smoothie.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #24 on: 06 Dec 2015, 21:52 »

The staff looks somewhat concerned at the announcement of the "Staff Meeting" in Panel 1.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #25 on: 06 Dec 2015, 22:33 »

I don't know what it is about the art today, but I cannot look at Penny and not see a younger blonde Veronica Reed.  I can't put my finger on why.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 06 Dec 2015, 22:44 »

The staff looks somewhat concerned at the announcement of the "Staff Meeting" in Panel 1.
I imagine it'd probably be due to the fact that Dora's never called a staff meeting outside of the announcement of Faye climbing the managerial ranks (that we're aware of. At least, not that I can recall - someone correct me if I'm wrong, please). If it's something that rarely happens, it tends to make people nervous. It always does me when a meeting is called (our store doesn't have them often), but that may be attributed to my anxiety and general paranoia regarding screwing something up.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #27 on: 06 Dec 2015, 22:51 »

Yesss, Emily joins the force, making the specials on the blackboard real, with a possible return of the hammered down banana smoothie...

I love panel 1, with the troops standing to attention!

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 Dec 2015, 23:05 »

i'm alwayse happy to see emily. but is it me, or is there something slightly off  about her face in that last panel?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #29 on: 06 Dec 2015, 23:26 »

Her eyes might be a little wonky. But then, that seems to be happening a lot lately.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #30 on: 06 Dec 2015, 23:38 »

I imagine it'd probably be due to the fact that Dora's never called a staff meeting outside of the announcement of Faye climbing the managerial ranks (that we're aware of. At least, not that I can recall - someone correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Wasn't there that time that she called a meeting to think up ways of bringing in more business that led to accusations of mutiny?
Francisco

Yhelta

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #31 on: 06 Dec 2015, 23:39 »

COD hiring policy has converted completely to the "press gang" model. You walk into that shop, you might have a job before you leave (regardless of your intent for being there). :)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 06 Dec 2015, 23:45 »

Dora is obviously one of those managers that doesn't let piffles like whether or not someone actually works for you to impact on the details of a reorganization! Fortunately, Emily loves spontaneous, so this won't be too much of a problem in her case. Now comes the hard part: teaching her to make and serve real stuff, rather than the imaginary things that she thinks the shop serves!

Yeah, both Penny and Cossette's body language is interesting. Cossette looks so anxious that I suspect that she thought that Dora was announcing lay-offs. Meanwhile, Penny seems genuinely shocked at her promotion! She probably (wrongly) thought that it was a popularity contest.

Meanwhile, only Hannelore would gain childlike joy from the thought of being allowed to operate the coffee roaster!
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #33 on: 06 Dec 2015, 23:58 »

COD hiring policy has converted completely to the "press gang" model. You walk into that shop, you might have a job before you leave (regardless of your intent for being there). :)

Welcome, new person!

Maybe they can use that as part of their marketing. "Not only will we treat you with contempt, we may enslave you as well."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #34 on: 07 Dec 2015, 00:13 »

I'm pretty sure it's the hand. The hands have been getting shrunken for a while now, but it hasn't been that bad until Penelope this comic.
Actually, looking back, it's three things:
1) Her hair - and hair colour - have changed (she used to be blonde-blonde, closer to Hanners' colour than here. Now she's strawberry-blonde and almost into red).
2) She's being given what looks like heavy mascara now. Possibly also top-heavy glasses frames, it kinda blends in.
3) Her (three-quarters) profile has been softened. Granted, that's partially general art evolution, but it adds up.

EDIT: Compare her in Dora's last promotional announcement, f'rinstance: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2524
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2015, 00:34 by Somebody »

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #35 on: 07 Dec 2015, 00:34 »

Hmm, if Emily joins the wage slave team of Coffee of Doom...

Well, Between there being two people with naturally dark hair on staff, and Faye not working there anymore anyway, Cosette can now probably get away with not dyeing her hair.
...How the hell do I still remember that?  It wasn't even a plot point; it was a joke in a single strip...
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #36 on: 07 Dec 2015, 01:18 »

Is it just me, or does Cosette look like she has terrible posture in panel 1?

To be fair Cosette looks like she's fallen out of bed.
Which given previous form, wouldn't be out of the norm for her.

Also, with regards to the comments about character models looking off, do remember that Jeph has switched drawing tablets and is still getting used to the new one. And as he has said before, give him two weeks, the art will have changed.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #37 on: 07 Dec 2015, 02:33 »

So... am I the only one who think that we're coming to an end of an era? Specifically the summer that began with Marten and Dora breaking up and the Interns arriving at the library something like... what, 1500 to 2000 strips back? Jeph really seems to be tying off the loose ends and setting up for the next phase of the story.

What might that phase be? 'Growing and Healing', I think. Specifically, Faye and Dora confronting their demons (with Bubbles possibly as a sort of an extreme-foreground reflection of this in a far less subtle way). Maybe Claire confronting the 'growing up' angst of deciding to move out of her mother's house. Also, possibly Emily getting acceptance for her weirdness (thank to Coffee of Doom where everyone, staff and customer alike, is weird). Additionally, maybe Sam having to deal with the reality of a cheerfully not-evil stepmother and Veronica realising that having a daughter isn't the "sugar, spice and all things nice" deal that she always thought it would be.

Well, Between there being two people with naturally dark hair on staff, and Faye not working there anymore anyway, Cosette can now probably get away with not dyeing her hair.

We probably need a mini-poll about how many here think that Jeph has forgotten that Cossette dyed her hair brown for the job.
~~~~

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #38 on: 07 Dec 2015, 04:46 »

Yeah, but wasn't her earlier color dyed? Maybe she was just dyeing it back to her natural hair color and just kept it since.

And speaking of her earlier color, that is what Penelope's hair reminds me of. New Penelope looks kinda like old Cosette.

Also 3104 again :parrot:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #39 on: 07 Dec 2015, 06:26 »

I hope Veronica doesn't try to treat Sam the way she's treated adult Marten.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #40 on: 07 Dec 2015, 06:36 »

For those wondering if there are actual places with the same laid-back attitude about hiring as Coffee of Doom, let me tell you the story of how I got my current job.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 07 Dec 2015, 06:42 »

I hope Veronica doesn't try to treat Sam the way she's treated adult Marten.

There is a huge difference between what you can get away with in how you treat your sexually active adult son and how you treat a barely-pubescent girl. That said, everything I've seen suggests that Veronica didn't do a very good job with keeping young Marten separate from her vocation and that scarred him in some ways. Does Veronica regret that in hindsight? Could Sam ultimately be the beneficiary of her attempt to be 'Mama Veronica Mk2'? Might she go too far in the other direction? That is one of the stories that Jeph may choose to tell.

FWIW, I can see her being a very laissez-faire mother figure (and, indeed, a willing co-conspirator to help Sam go behind Jim's back if she thinks he's being unnecessarily restrictive). However, I also thank that she would be one who is very strict about keeping control of a relationship and not taking stupid risks or going further than you'll feel comfortable with the next day based on a passing moment of lust. After all, she's probably had associates or even friends in the sex industry who have ruined their lives in such a manner and I have no doubt that she'd allow it to happen to anyone she cares about.
~~~~

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #42 on: 07 Dec 2015, 08:09 »

I imagine it'd probably be due to the fact that Dora's never called a staff meeting outside of the announcement of Faye climbing the managerial ranks (that we're aware of. At least, not that I can recall - someone correct me if I'm wrong, please). If it's something that rarely happens, it tends to make people nervous. It always does me when a meeting is called (our store doesn't have them often), but that may be attributed to my anxiety and general paranoia regarding screwing something up.

There was one before. Very typical of Dora the Control Freak
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #43 on: 07 Dec 2015, 08:38 »

Pen2 is the only sane choice for manager

I take you you mean Pen2:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #44 on: 07 Dec 2015, 08:40 »

Fair point. Though Penelope was the only one present at both meetings, that explains the less-nervous expression on her face.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2015, 09:15 by Omega Entity »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #45 on: 07 Dec 2015, 10:09 »

It took over 2000 strips but Penelope finally gets to be Ass Manager.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #46 on: 07 Dec 2015, 10:15 »

Yeah, but the "witch" calls it a dye job.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ischaemia

• Plantmonster
  • Almost necrosis
« Reply #47 on: 07 Dec 2015, 10:29 »

Did anyone else see some strips early? I saw one with Emily at SMIF Library already talking to Tai and Claire, perhaps sometime yesterday, but it's gone now. Strip numbers were 3106, and 3108. 3107 wasn't up then, and that page looks the same now. D-do I have future vision?

Edit: As an emissary from the future, expect a super cute rendition of Claire to come. I suppose, however, you didn't even need me to tell you this; this path was inevitable.

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #48 on: 07 Dec 2015, 11:10 »

No Raven = lame comic.

Edit: And that's saying a lot because I really like Penelope.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #49 on: 07 Dec 2015, 11:17 »

I wonder if Penelope will have anything more to say about the position. Dora didn't offer it to her privately, like Faye. Doing it loudly in front of the rest of the staff is very grand but I wonder if she has any thoughts or compromises she'd like to express when given the chance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up