THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How is May Doing?

She's developed an addiction to electric shocks and is constantly trying to anger Momo into zapping her again
She's been recruited by Steve's old employers who are thinking of uploading her into an old Decepticon Seeker chassis
She crashed because of the taser jolt and is currently stuffed in Dale's closet until (if) she reboots
The Taser jolt has massively corrupted her personality settings and she's now "Miss May Sunshine"
Somehow, the Taser knocked her 'language' setting to 'Spanish (Mexico)'
She's her usual ornery self
She's decided that, if she's not going to be allowed to be a fighter jet, she's going to do the next best thing: She's taken up freefall parachuting
She's decided that the convenience store isn't right for her; Dora is about to get a robot Deputy Manager

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7th-11th December 2015 (Strips 3106-3110)  (Read 25569 times)

Somebody

• Curry sauce
Re: WCDT 7th-11th December 2015 (Strips 3106-3110)
« Reply #50 on: 07 Dec 2015, 12:00 »

...the Interns arriving at the library something like... what, 1500 to 2000 strips back?
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2203

TheEvilDog

« Reply #51 on: 07 Dec 2015, 13:23 »

Wow, nearly three years ago.

I wonder if Penelope will have anything more to say about the position. Dora didn't offer it to her privately, like Faye. Doing it loudly in front of the rest of the staff is very grand but I wonder if she has any thoughts or compromises she'd like to express when given the chance.

That's an interesting point. It puts Penelope on the spot, but is also more open.

Let's see how this goes.

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #52 on: 07 Dec 2015, 15:06 »

Yeah, but the "witch" calls it a dye job.

Her natural hair color might be red or black.  But, regardless, my main point still stands: Cosette can have whatever color hair she wants, now!  The world is her oyster!
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

firevisor

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #53 on: 07 Dec 2015, 15:55 »

I miss Raven...

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #54 on: 07 Dec 2015, 16:29 »

Man, I never noticed how short Cosette is, it's adorable, which fits since she mostly is such. :3

Also, does anyone else find her now light blue eyes perfect? I love her with them. :3

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #55 on: 07 Dec 2015, 17:07 »

Yet another employee shanghai'ed.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

TheCollector

« Reply #56 on: 07 Dec 2015, 17:45 »

Also, does anyone else think that Penelope's new design actually makes her more distinctive? I think she looks amazing.

And if you ask me, I kinda think it makes her look more English, I dunno if she is, but with lines on Finishing Schools and stuff like that I've always thought she may be from the UK. Unless her birth place has been said and I'm either wrong or correct, lol.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2015, 17:50 by TheCollector »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #57 on: 07 Dec 2015, 18:00 »

I don't think her home place has been said in comic because the QC Wiki doesn't have info on it, but considering her religious upbringing, I doubt she was born in the UK.

Dust

« Reply #58 on: 07 Dec 2015, 18:14 »

Given her roots as a pizza-themed vigilante, I want to say Chicago.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #59 on: 07 Dec 2015, 18:30 »

That's deep.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #60 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:17 »

I dunno, I thought it was cheesy.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #61 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:17 »

That's deep.
I was waiting for someone to dish out that pun.

In other news: comic! It seems Penelope has her work cut out for her. Though Dora's sudden shift to such a laissez-faire attitude after the events of the past week or so of strips is a little odd, to say the least.

Lioness

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #62 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:23 »

Wow, talk about going from one extreme to the other (Dora's shift in management style)!

ThinksTooMuch

• Plantmonster
« Reply #63 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:24 »

I have viewed yesterday's comic several times, and despite my best efforts I find myself utterly unable to view Hanners in today's comic without going *squeak* as some kind of involuntary response.  My roommate has gotten progressively more confused, since I am not typically the source of such noises. :-)
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."  Lemony Snicket

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #64 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:35 »

Also, does anyone else think that Penelope's new design actually makes her more distinctive? I think she looks amazing.
I'm sure that's the intent (well, that or JJ forgot to check his colour palette!), but I'm not sure it actually does...

Wow, talk about going from one extreme to the other (Dora's shift in management style)!
It's been five minutes. Give her another five (and a decision by Penelope she doesn't like). 'Sides, Penelope's whole rant is showing she takes the job seriously.

QuestionableIntentions

« Reply #65 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:44 »

I would have preferred May.

The clashes between her and everyone would have been epic  :lol:

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #66 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:46 »

I wonder how can Penelope say, with a straight face, that such things don't happen. Like, go back to your own hiring lady. Those things happen. And the "victims" of such "accidents" (for lack of a better word) eventually get promoted to Ass. Manager.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #67 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:48 »

Penelope was hired very much on purpose. More on purpose than most, actually.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #68 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:48 »

I wonder how long this new relaxed attitude will last.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #69 on: 07 Dec 2015, 19:52 »

She's going to take a relaxed attitude toward work and watch the baseball match. The Nye Mets are her favorite squadron!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #70 on: 07 Dec 2015, 20:09 »

Dora can't seem to do things in moderation, can she?
oh god

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #71 on: 07 Dec 2015, 22:40 »

I wonder how Penelope would react when she remembers that being Assistant Manager has perks?
Francisco

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 07 Dec 2015, 23:14 »

Welcome to the Dora Bianchi School of Management.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #73 on: 07 Dec 2015, 23:36 »

You know, I actually think that this will work. Penny is sane enough to counteract Dora's infrequent episodes and seems to know "what cannot be done", a rare and valuable management skill. Seriously, I think that the shop needs someone to take charge of things when Dora gets anxious or melancholy.

As for Emily, has anyone bothered to ask how Dora knew her name? I'm wondering if they have been talking when Emily comes in for a 'Smoothie' so that Dora knew that Emily wanted to find a new job to keep her in Northampton. I've got a feeling that Dora has been meaning to hire Emily for a while. Besides, she's ideal to be Raven Mk2.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #74 on: 07 Dec 2015, 23:49 »

I wonder how long this new relaxed attitude will last.

Until Penelope makes a decision Dora doesn't like. Then Controlling!Dora will be back with a vengeance. I wonder if Penelope's new position will survive this first clash.

Meanwhile, Dora has done a good job of passing on the stress of running the shop (of managing the employees, anyway). That is true delegation. Well done, Dora, well done.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #75 on: 08 Dec 2015, 04:13 »

As for Emily, has anyone bothered to ask how Dora knew her name?

No, since they met way back at the lake house party.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #76 on: 08 Dec 2015, 04:16 »

Plus, she's pretty much a regular customer these days.

Where else would she get her "banana smoothies"?
What do you know about Pokémon?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #77 on: 08 Dec 2015, 04:55 »

And she works with Tai. Even if Dora isn't that close to the circle of friends anymore, I'm sure she still hears all about them

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #78 on: 08 Dec 2015, 06:51 »

Well, I hope Penelope doesn't forget to ask for a raise, or demand one. It hasn't been mentioned with Faye, and the additional responsibilities warrant one. Also, it would be absolutely necessary to have some  savings, since Dora is not very loyal to her employees.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #79 on: 08 Dec 2015, 06:56 »

Well, I hope Penelope doesn't forget to ask for a raise, or demand one. It hasn't been mentioned with Faye, and the additional responsibilities warrant one. Also, it would be absolutely necessary to have some  savings, since Dora is not very loyal to her employees.

Dora's given her control of the budget for salaries; that call is now hers! :evil: Seriously, so long as it isn't extravagant and doesn't significantly impact the cash flow of the business, I'd expect Dora to rubber-stamp it.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #80 on: 08 Dec 2015, 08:03 »

Not very loyal to her employees? She's fired one person during the entire course of the comic and that person was drunk on the job.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #81 on: 08 Dec 2015, 08:51 »

Ah, the freeing feeling of "that sounds like a you problem"

I doubt it will last long. One does not create a successful small business by not caring about it, and for all her flaws, Dora cares very strongly for her business. In fact, I sort of wonder if Dora is behaving this way to see if Penelope can handle the stress of assistant manager, and giving her the chance to back out now, before she is in over her head. Not the way I'd have done it, but..

Or she is in the middle of a tiny manic episode, and when it's over will wonder what the hell she has done.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #82 on: 08 Dec 2015, 09:06 »

since Dora is not very loyal to her employees.

Really?

Dora tends to consider all her employees friends, especially Hanners and, still to some extent, Faye. Not to mention that when Faye was fired and ended up in hospital, Dora kept Faye on the books long enough that the shop's insurance would cover Faye's medical expenses.

Dora might be abrasive at times, but she is a person who has limits, like every one else. That she reacted in such a way to Faye drinking on the job is the fact that Faye went over that limit. Same with everyone else, if Dora explodes at someone, they've pressed some serious buttons in Dora's psyche.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #83 on: 08 Dec 2015, 10:44 »

Dora discovers the powers of delegation. And shiny new Artwork!

I'm so gonna keep this new kitten ... (wanders off, searching for a basket ...)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #84 on: 08 Dec 2015, 12:05 »

since Dora is not very loyal to her employees.

Really?

Dora tends to consider all her employees friends, especially Hanners and, still to some extent, Faye. Not to mention that when Faye was fired and ended up in hospital, Dora kept Faye on the books long enough that the shop's insurance would cover Faye's medical expenses.

Dora might be abrasive at times, but she is a person who has limits, like every one else. That she reacted in such a way to Faye drinking on the job is the fact that Faye went over that limit. Same with everyone else, if Dora explodes at someone, they've pressed some serious buttons in Dora's psyche.

Faye fucked up, once in the long history of CoD (yes, there were other problems, as usual with Faye, but Dora never indicated that those were grounds for firing), and she was Assistant Manager for a while now. Instead of giving her the chance of cleaning up her act, she's fired on the spot. I consider that disloyal - Dora owes a lot to her, including more business. I know that the hire-and-fire practices are a little different in the US, but still. And keeping her on health insurance for a day or so afterwards? I can't believe that you would lose your health insurance with your job, but if you did, it would be downright barbaric to leave your 'friend' with crippling debt in addition to losing her job, especially if it doesn't change anything for you.

She considers her employees friends? Well, depends. When she hired Hanners, she said it was a bad idea to hire friends, and while there was a joke afterwards, I don't think she considers Penelope a friend (she promoted her based on 'seniority', and without asking her if she wanted the extra responsibility first. And without training her.)

Also, she makes no effort to train her employees beyond basic coffee-making. Tai at least tried to give Marten extra responsibility, to prepare him for a better job.

I'm not saying she's a fundamentally bad person, she just doesn't take care of her employees very well. Which I consider disloyal.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #85 on: 08 Dec 2015, 12:31 »

Instead of giving her the chance of cleaning up her act, she's fired on the spot. I consider that disloyal - Dora owes a lot to her, including more business.

Pretty sure - though I don't have links - that she'd been warned about the drinking before.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #86 on: 08 Dec 2015, 12:34 »

Yes.  Her attitude towards casual booze at CoD seemed to take a shift into the "no way in hell" territory after Faye started crawling into the bottle post break-up.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #87 on: 08 Dec 2015, 12:37 »

Instead of giving her the chance of cleaning up her act, she's fired on the spot. I consider that disloyal - Dora owes a lot to her, including more business.

Pretty sure - though I don't have links - that she'd been warned about the drinking before.
Well, this is also the shop that had 'emergency burbon' under the counter, so there are very blurry lines here

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #88 on: 08 Dec 2015, 12:39 »

For lack of a better word, it was more the "quality" of the fuck-up than the quantity of them. Faye showed up drunk, intending to get even drunker, and lying to her boss about such state and intentions. It's also a public-facing job, and one where you operate dangerous machinery (even if nothing's lethal). To top it all off, she was warned about showing up drunk before.

Dora took a harsh route, but I remember a good portion of the forum saying they would've done the same in that situation. I honestly would have.

Warning - while you were typing, scraping and re-typing your comment the point has been evaluated in similar ways. You may wish to stop trying

Dammit forum y u do dis

Well, this is also the shop that had 'emergency burbon' under the counter, so there are very blurry lines here

Said "emergency bourbon" was always used on very specific situations and when closed to the public. Like having Marten and Steve re-enact a passionate kiss.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #89 on: 08 Dec 2015, 13:46 »

Dora did have a sort of relaxed attitude to her staff, and Faye was her closest friend.  She was willing to tolerate a fair amount from her and the others, but Faye eventually reached even Doras limits. 
James The Kugai 

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #90 on: 08 Dec 2015, 13:49 »

Faye fucked up, once in the long history of CoD (yes, there were other problems, as usual with Faye, but Dora never indicated that those were grounds for firing), and she was Assistant Manager for a while now. Instead of giving her the chance of cleaning up her act, she's fired on the spot. I consider that disloyal - Dora owes a lot to her, including more business. I know that the hire-and-fire practices are a little different in the US, but still. And keeping her on health insurance for a day or so afterwards? I can't believe that you would lose your health insurance with your job, but if you did, it would be downright barbaric to leave your 'friend' with crippling debt in addition to losing her job, especially if it doesn't change anything for you.

Do we really have to hash this out again after we did it in so much detail after Faye was fired? Yes, in the US most people have health insurance on employer-sponsored health plans, so if you lose your job you also lose your health insurance. It does not matter whether you believe it or not, or like it or not - that is the way it is. Also, Dora was  taking a huge risk in keeping Faye on for even a day after she fired her - if her insurance provider found out they would have been within their legal rights to drop CoD's entire insurance plan, leaving Dora and everyone else at CoD without insurance. Again, yeah, it sucks that they can do this, but that is how it is.

There have been some recent changes to health insurance law in the US that have mitigated some of these issues but not gotten rid of them altogether. But overall it still sucks. Please take that into consideration before you condemn Dora for a structural problem with the US health insurance system.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #91 on: 08 Dec 2015, 13:50 »

I don't really think that this has to be rehashed again
James The Kugai 

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #92 on: 08 Dec 2015, 16:54 »

I don't really think that this has to be rehashed again
Agreed. I was just explaining why I consider Dora not very loyal to her employees.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #93 on: 08 Dec 2015, 17:28 »

I miss Raven...

It's pretty definite now that Raven has been Put on the Bus to Mandyville. Jeph was never quite sure what he wanted to do with her. (A guest comic made a joke about this, with a switch in her arm.) Emily is Raven 2.0.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #94 on: 08 Dec 2015, 18:50 »

I refuse to believe that she's gone for good.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #95 on: 08 Dec 2015, 21:35 »

Comic's up. I'm not dealing with how cute Claire looks. Also I typed "Claire cute looks" the first time, so that was clever.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #96 on: 08 Dec 2015, 21:44 »

Claire's hair is adorable in this one.  I want Claire's hair... but where are her glasses?

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #97 on: 08 Dec 2015, 21:47 »

Claire's hair is adorable in this one.  I want Claire's hair... but where are her glasses?

To quote the news post:
Quote from: Jeph
Claire got contacts! Or she's just bumping into everything.

RetroRefractive Noodle

• Plantmonster
  • KEEP CALM AND BLOODY PANIC, ALREDY!
« Reply #98 on: 08 Dec 2015, 22:05 »

Not very loyal to her employees? She's fired one person during the entire course of the comic and that person was drunk on the job.

NO KIDDING -- Real world job would have fired Faye long ago for any number of things she did.    Dora is loyal to a fault,  she put up with quite a lot in the name of being a friend.

And quite frankly sometimes friends have to kick friends in the butt.  Been on both sides of that myself.  :)
If we are going to be damned let us be damned for what we really are.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #99 on: 08 Dec 2015, 22:10 »

Marten certainly knows how to push Tais buttons here.  He definitely does know her well.

Now she has to do the Assessment Forms while dealing with Dora.
James The Kugai 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up