THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP John Glenn  (Read 5647 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
RIP John Glenn
« on: 08 Dec 2016, 14:35 »

The first American to orbit the earth in space, later a senator, has died, age 95.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-glenn-first-american-to-orbit-the-earth-dead-at-95/
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: RIP John Glenn
« Reply #1 on: 08 Dec 2016, 14:43 »

#fuck2016

Stop taking all our heroes away.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2016, 15:32 »

Eh, 95's doing pretty well, even for now; but yes, sure...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2016, 15:32 »

My friend got a picture with him during her graduation from.. well grad school.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2016, 23:43 »

There was a time when 'Astronaut' and 'John Glenn' were synonymous but the life of a publicity symbol is not an easy one and made it politically impossible that he would ever be allowed to go into space again.

In some ways, it is his political career that will more define the legacy of the man - He was chief author of the 1978 Nuclear Non-Proliferation Act. On the negatives side, was involved (or even implicated) in many of the defining American political debates of the late 20th Century, especially improper corporate influence on Congress and the Senate as well as the looming fear of Chinese financial interests influencing politicians as highly-placed as even the President.

Like all real people, John Glenn was imperfect and could make mistakes but, at this time, it is worth focussing on the good that he did try to do in his life.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2016, 14:37 »

I cannot forget that John Glenn threw the weight of his fame and heroic status decisively against the participation of women in the USA's space programme, even to the point of making a condescending sexist joke in his testimony before the House Space Committee. Of course he was not alone in his sexism, which was even more ubiquitous then than today, but it is the responsibility of our heroes to move us forward, not hold us back, so he was no hero to me.

"I think it gets back to the way our social order is organized really. It is just a fact. Men go off and fight the wars and fly the planes and come back and help design and build and test them. The fact that women are not in this field is a fact of our social order." And never mind the fact that women had demonstrated that they could quite competently build and fly aircraft throughout the Second World War.

"If we can find any women demonstrating better ability than the men going into this program, we will welcome them with open arms." <the committee room erupts with laughter> "For the purposes of my going home this afternoon, I hope that will be stricken from the record." Ha bloody ha...

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2016, 14:55 »

"If we can find any women demonstrating better ability than the men going into this program, we will welcome them with open arms."

And how will you find them if you keep the doors locked against them?  That question was not often asked back then, and is not asked every time it should be even now.

Sad; I didn't know about that aspect.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2016, 16:11 »

For me, it is the business of heroes to swim against the current of injustice and oppression in their time, rather than use their position to reinforce it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2016, 03:14 »

and so does the perfect become the enemy of the good

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2016, 09:17 »

1 of my earliest memories was watching Apollo 11 lift off from the Cape. I was almost 4.
I thought things would be different by the time I got to be this old.
And I guess they are.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2016, 17:05 »

Well, he got an obituary in The Economist.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2016, 07:58 »

"If we can find any women demonstrating better ability than the men going into this program, we will welcome them with open arms."

And how will you find them if you keep the doors locked against them?  That question was not often asked back then, and is not asked every time it should be even now.

Sad; I didn't know about that aspect.

Charles Yeager was quite vocal about Jackie Cochrane's achievements - IIRC, in his autobiography, he did mention that it didn't hurt Cochrane to have a billionaire husband and both of them being good friends with Mr. Right Stuff, as well as a host of the top Air Force Brass of the time (and he did make fun of her complaining of a fighter's cockpit stinking of men's sweat & bathing it in perfume), but he was adamant that he hadn't "dragged her around the course", as other pilots insinuated, and that her records were self-accomplished without a doubt.

Given that Yeager is only two years younger than Glenn, and not really known as a bleeding-heart liberal feminist (IIRC, the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School was investigated by a Congressional Comitee  due to an NAACP-complaint during Yeager's stint as Commander), the latter's attitude cannot even be explained as "sign of the times".
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2016, 08:03 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin
Pages: [1]   Go Up