THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOILERS - Star Wars The Force Awakens Discussion and Overanalysis  (Read 42232 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

It was that ol' standby  THE PLOT DEVICE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjpm79BNB0c
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Now that I think about it, they never showed the Death Star enter hyperspace. How did it get from system to system? Space is unfathomably big.

I read somewhere that they made a conscious policy not to show the Death Star using its hyperdrive as it would disrupt viewers' sense that it is moon-sized. Apparently, we have an instinct that big=slow and showing The Magic 8-Ball O' Doom going to lightspeed breaks the illusion of scale.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Ironically, this destroys the sense of galactic scale and makes the fictional universe feel smaller than it should.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That might be intentional to make the coincidences more palatable. Also I think it all takes place in a single galaxy.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage

That might be intentional to make the coincidences more palatable. Also I think it all takes place in a single galaxy.

It never ceases to amaze me just how fast hyperdrive is. The Millennium Falcon (which, admittedly, manages the upper end of FTL velocities, in-universe) goes from Tattooine in the Outer Rim to a core system (a distance of tens of thousands of light years) in a matter of a few hours at best. Even a lumbering giant like the Death Star 1 manages the flight from Alderaan to Yavin so quickly that the Rebels only have a few hours at best lead time to prepare their counter-attack before it arrives in-system.

No wonder so many Warsies rag Trekkers off about their "snails' pace" warp drive! :wink:

Seriously, almost everything about how Starkiller was presented in The Force Awakens was messed up. There were lots of better ways in in-universe technical terms for it to be portrayed. However, there is one thing J J Abrams is good at and that is visual spectacle. He certainly chose the method that looked most dramatic.
~~~~

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Galaxies are 10s, if not 100s, of thousands of light years across.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well, yeah, I know, but that's nothing compared to the distance between galaxies.

@Benergy - Does hyperdrive go FTL or just take a shortcut? I thought it was the latter.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Well, yeah, I know, but that's nothing compared to the distance between galaxies.

@Benergy - Does hyperdrive go FTL or just take a shortcut? I thought it was the latter.
Han Solo refers to making the jump to light speed.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage

Some Warsie physicists have suggested that an intergalactic flight at observed hyperdrive speeds would take no more than several months, including several stop-offs to take navigational references and correct their course. That's why the Outbound Project (a crewed intergalactic probe ship in the dying days of the Old Republic) was possible.

There is some question about the nature of hyperspace as it has never been explained in a canon source. What we do know is that it is travel through a realm close enough to the 'real' universe that objects like the gravity wells of stars and planets as well as stellar eruptions like supernovae are navigational hazards.

I wonder if it is something like the Mass Effect FTL drive where the drive creates a 'bubble' around the ship where it is not affected by the wider space-time continuum. Whilst travelling in normal space, it is thus isolated from inertia and relativistic effects and allowing it to 'snap' to its destination at a speed determined by the energy of the bubble. Gravity wells, being space-time topographical distortions, disrupt the structure of the bubble and make it unstable, potentially causing the ship to become affected by relativity again and forcing it sub-light.

The best assumption that I've seen about speeds is that the 'point five past lightspeed' that Han specifies as the Falcon's FTL cruising speed is a logarithmic scale where zero is lightspeed and one is infinite velocity (like the revised Warp 10 in Star Trek).
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2016, 04:03 by BenRG »
~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Han Solo refers to making the jump to light speed.
They might be able to reach light speed, but not surpass it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Which is why you either have to bend space or shift to a different plane of existence where distances are reduced. Interstellar travel by necessity would have to involve reducing the distance traveled since even at the speed of light travel would to 100s or 1000s of years.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Right, that's my point. They can't travel FTL, but they don't need to because hyperspace.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

The problem is that they actually reference going to light speed or past it in the movies. Which can be handwaved as poor scripting by persons who don't understand how physics works, of course.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Quote from: something I made up
Han Solo: I wasn't there for you when I should have been, and for that I'm sorry. But I'm still your father, and I love you.
Kylo Ren: I know (stabs)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage

In RL physics, there is no mathematical reason why an object can't travel faster than light (there is even some disputed evidence that there is a particle that travels faster than light and backwards in time, the Tachyon). The trick is accelerating past light-speed, which General Relativity specifies requires infinite energy. Most sci-fi either hand-waves it off or comes up with a tech-babble work-around.

Star Trek has an entire chapter in the show bible dedicated to the subject. Star Wars just chooses the hand-wave route and focusses instead on character interactions and action scenes.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well they never showed the Death Star moving at all. But they did talk about 'setting course' so clearly it does. The first two super lasers were powerful, but still direct fire weapons. They had to be in the system they wanted to attack, and move around planets. Hence the whole count down thing in episode 4 where the Rebels were racing to blow it up before it could destroy Yavin 4. So it moved and had to use hyperspace. It was just so big and moved so slow it seemed stationary unless you were viewing it from very far away.

Starkiller Base through throws out any kind of physics or concept of distances in space. It could fire tracking energy beams that would travel across interstellar distances, curving to hit their targets and destroy them in a big, dramatic group shot. Something that would never happen. You never see five planets close enough together to be visible in one shot. Even if they are all part of the same system. And that's without even getting into the ridiculousness of the power supply and the likelyhood they would need to relocate every time they fired.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

They call it a "hyperspace weapon" so I guess it is supposed to shoot through hyperspace, but the visuals did not back that up. One of my biggest complaints about the film was the complete and utter lack of understanding of scale on the part of the filmmakers.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

How do you aim a weapon made out of a planet? Do you just wait until it rotates to the position you want? And that doesn't take into account the fact that space is three dimensional. What about the z-axis?

[Edit]
Now that I think about it, they never showed the Death Star enter hyperspace. How did it get from system to system? Space is unfathomably big.
maybe they used the force

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Maybe I should just accept "The Force" as the default response to any unanswered questions in the film series
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Like in Xena... a wizard did it.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Maybe I should just accept "The Force" as the default response to any unanswered questions in the film series
Randall: I wonder why the light sabers only go yea high, what stops them from going on forever?
Dante: I dunno, the Force?
Randall: That's your answer for everything!

(I think it was that order, it's from Clerks: tAS, which may be the best thing Kevin Smith has ever done)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

Travel between galaxies is totally possible in Star Wars. Although it is no longer canon, there is an invasion from a species outside of the galaxy, taking place during the time of the New Republic. I forgot the details, though, and am too lazy to look it up right now.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Although it is no longer canon
I find it interesting how quick people are to accept what is and isn't canon just on Disney's word. I never really considered any of the books canon (at least not movie-level canon), but Disney can't make those books not matter. At most they can say that the old books were their own canon, but they're still Star Wars, and the movies were never bound to the books anyway.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage

Although it is no longer canon

I find it interesting how quick people are to accept what is and isn't canon just on Disney's word. I never really considered any of the books canon (at least not movie-level canon), but Disney can't make those books not matter. At most they can say that the old books were their own canon, but they're still Star Wars, and the movies were never bound to the books anyway.

Purely FWIW, I didn't always accept Lucasfilm's word on what was and was not canon. I've long preferred Timothy Zahn's version of the Clone Wars - an uprising by the Republic's clone army against its masters that started a 'we want more security' societal movement leading to the rise of the Emperor - as being a more fascinating narrative possibility than the movie canon Civil War against the Separatists.
~~~~

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Why Lupita Nyong’o Didn’t Want To Be Seen In “Star Wars”

I was originally disappointed that Lupita Nyong'o was playing a CGI character, but I didn't realize that it was her decision.  Disappointment rescinded.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Can I give her a standing ovation for that article?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

So people are suggesting Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter. If that's the case, why can't she be the daughter of Obi-Wan's daughter and Luke Skywalker?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page

Is there any evidence to suggest Obi Wan has children?

(Outside the extended universe)
I dunno..

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

None at all! Doesn't mean he doesn't, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

So people are suggesting Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter. If that's the case, why can't she be the daughter of Obi-Wan's daughter and Luke Skywalker?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Edit: I kind of want a BB-8 giving a "thumbs up" tattoo.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2016, 09:45 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Nothing like Wikipedia vandalism by whatever they're calling the Empire now.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

Kylo must have WiFi at the hospital where he's recovering.
@syleegrrl

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Probably The Dark Side Net
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I am altering the wiki. Pray I do not alter it any further.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Lines

• Awakened

Why Lupita Nyong’o Didn’t Want To Be Seen In “Star Wars”

I was originally disappointed that Lupita Nyong'o was playing a CGI character, but I didn't realize that it was her decision.  Disappointment rescinded.

I think she's becoming one of my new favorite people...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

How is Kylo a wuss for being defeated by Rey? He was hit by a direct shot from Chewbacca's Bowcaster and managed to walk away barely flinching.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

And he was bleeding out the whole fight and still almost won. He had her on the run until right up at the end.
@syleegrrl

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page

Also he was arrogant as fuck, as well as seemingly not trying to kill her, for recruiting purposes.
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Never thought of it before I saw this, but of course Chewie helped raise Ben. So sad :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

On a happier note:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page

Saw this a second time yesterday and noticed a couple of things I missed in my first viewing;

Rey in her (cabin? shack? nest?) has a doll of a person wearing a rebellion flightsuit. Possibly a clue as to who her parents might be?

In her vision when she touches the lightsaber, one of the last things I heard among the mess is Obi-Wan (with a very Alec Guinness style voice) quite calmly saying "Rey..."

I suspect she's going to turn out to be related to Luke (because the Star Wars universe has always been incredibly small, in movie canon) but hearing the theories about her being Obi-Wan's granddaughter seem plausible I guess.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I honestly don't see any indication from previous movies that Obi-Wan has kids, but there's nothing making it explicitly impossible, so I guess it could work. But if Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter, then I still stand by this:
why can't she be the daughter of Obi-Wan's daughter and Luke Skywalker?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage

The only official romantic relationship with which Obi-Wan is linked is with another Jedi, Siri Tachi, who died during the Clone Wars, about 3 years before Luke and Leia were born.
~~~~

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist

1. What was Lucas's story about?
2. And why the hell didn't he make them himself, if his ideas were (supposedly) so much better?

A theory I subscribe to is that Lucas is a great ideas guy, but (like most writers) he needs editing and co-writers to achieve greatness.  So Lucas + Leigh Brackett + Lawrence Kasdan => The Empire Strikes Back

Lucas + a few yes-men => Jar-Jar Binks.
Thinks too much.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

In her vision when she touches the lightsaber, one of the last things I heard among the mess is Obi-Wan (with a very Alec Guinness style voice) quite calmly saying "Rey..."

I have read that they snipped that bit of dialogue from Alec Guinness saying "afraid." Pretty neat.

At the very end of the flashback, there is a bit more from Obi-Wan: "You've taken your first step..."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up