THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SPOILERS - Star Wars The Force Awakens Discussion and Overanalysis  (Read 42259 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I have to agree with that.  Rumor has it it was his then wife who tended to rein him in when he got too .... ebullient, hence the Original Trilogy.  Cue several years later when he and she had parted ways and you get the Prequel Trilogy.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Actually there was a Mandalorian named Satine that shared romantic attractions with Obi-Wan. However it never went any further than them declaring love for each other, since he was a Jedi and she was a politician. (Sound familiar...) She died during the Clone Wars series, so there's no chance they got together after the fall of the Jedi.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The only official romantic relationship with which Obi-Wan is linked is with another Jedi, Siri Tachi, who died during the Clone Wars, about 3 years before Luke and Leia were born.
"official"?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened

I'm guessing it's from the books. Honestly, I don't know what Disney is considering canon for the new trilogy, so... :-\ I don't know what is and isn't "official" in terms of story, because, well, it's been taken on by a lot of people now.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

I'm guessing it's from the books. Honestly, I don't know what Disney is considering canon for the new trilogy, so... :-\ I don't know what is and isn't "official" in terms of story, because, well, it's been taken on by a lot of people now.

nope, clone wars TV show, which is still canon.

Pretty much the original movies, rebels, clone wars, and a few concepts here and there are canon after the Disney acquisition. Everything else is no longer canon.  An example of a concept is Darth Revan did exist according to the new canon but the events that took place in KotOR are not.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I find it easiest to consider the movies canon, and everything else secondary canon.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Sure, if you want.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened

nope, clone wars TV show, which is still canon.

Pretty much the original movies, rebels, clone wars, and a few concepts here and there are canon after the Disney acquisition. Everything else is no longer canon.  An example of a concept is Darth Revan did exist according to the new canon but the events that took place in KotOR are not.

Ah, OK. I need to watch that. I heard it was good, I just never got around to it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I recommend both the Clone Wars and Rebels. Both are awesome shows that fill in a lot of important gaps between movies.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Clone wars was rough to start for me.  Very cheesy.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I've only seen the movie-pilot, and while I've heard it gets better, that was atrocious. Also no amount of Disney execs are going to make me think non-movie stuff is movie-level canon.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage

I respect your headcanonicity.  :-D
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Something I came across on tumblr and hadn't really thought about before:

I was just thinking – and please, correct me if I’m forgetting something relevant – but does Finn even know about Rey and her Force-sensitivity / Jedi potential?

He was outside the temple when she had the vision and talk with Maz, he got knocked out before she picked up the lightsaber to fight Kylo Ren. …Is he going to wake up in the infirmary and receive a huge shock when she’s not only gone, but gone to train with Luke freaking Skywalker?

(and then my brain starts wondering if he’d feel a little uneasy about it despite himself, because his experience thus far with Force users is all through Kylo Ren and Snoke and mind control tricks are maybe a little too close to reconditioning – I just think it would add a really interesting tension to their relationship)
(Source)

!!!!!

I need to see this movie again.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Clone wars was rough to start for me.  Very cheesy.

I've only seen the movie-pilot, and while I've heard it gets better, that was atrocious. Also no amount of Disney execs are going to make me think non-movie stuff is movie-level canon.

Pretty much any episode centered around the Clones is amazing, the rest run the gambit from amazing to eh. Though episodes with Jar-Jar and the Droid Square are down right awful.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I'm going to go with no, Finn isn't aware by the end of the movie that Rey is Force sensitive.  From the time she started to find out about it, she was on the run/being captured by Ren and then escaping from Starkiller base. There was the time when they were reunited till he was taking out in the fight with Ren where she could have mentioned it. But they were quite busy, and it was never done on screen, so I'm going with he doesn't know. That said, I'm sure when he wakes up people will explain where Rey has gone and why. He might have an initial freak out, but I'm sure Leia or someone will set him straight that Luke and the Jedi are not like Snoke and Ren.

That said, I don't think Rey and Finn will see each other again in the first, maybe second act of part 8. It's looking set up to be similar to Empire Strikes back. Rey is off training to be a Jedi. Or at least trying to convince Luke to train her. Finn, Poe and the rest of the Resistance are now suddenly going to have to relocate bases because the New Order knows where they are, and are going to be coming for blood after the destruction of Starkiller Base. Ren will probably be training with Snope, and Captain Phasma (And maybe FN-2199, if they decide he survived?) will be hunting down Finn in particular for his part in her humiliation. So paralleling the Boba Fett hunting Han and Leia in Empire...

Mind you... I would like to be wrong about this. I would like them to go an original route with the story instead of just copying the original trilogy. I would like Rey, Finn and Poe not be related to any of the existing franchise characters. I just don't think Disney will do that. I think they'll go for the safer 'stick to what worked before, tie everything together' route.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Saw the movie tonight. Finn is NOT aware.

Lol i forgot to write not before the edit

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

FN-2199
I believe you mean TR-8R :parrot:

Actually JJ Abrams capitalized on the unintentional 'Fetting' of the fan named TR-8R and said he is actually FN-2199 'Nines'. He was part of FN-2187's training squad, along with the trooper that dies right in the beginning and smears his blood on Finn's helmet. That's why the whole 'TRAITOR!' thing seemed so personal, supposedly.

Personally I think they made all this up when they realized how popular the character was.. which makes me think they might fight a way to bring him back. Sure he got shot with a bowcaster, but he could have been med evaced after the battle and survived.. now a super cyborg hell bent on revenge against that traitor, FN-2187!

Small edit: FN-2199 and the rest of the training squad was actually in the 'Before the Awakening' anthology book about the main character's lives before the events of the movie. So apparently it was in from the start. But I don't think they knew it would be as big as it turned out. And odd that Finn didn't say something before their big fight. Wookiepedia also says Nines was wounded, not killed in the fight at Maz's castle.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2016, 16:16 by Neko_Ali »

Tova

• coprophage

Small edit: FN-2199 and the rest of the training squad was actually in the 'Before the Awakening' anthology book about the main character's lives before the events of the movie. So apparently it was in from the start. But I don't think they knew it would be as big as it turned out.

Really? Obsessing over details like this is kind of what Star Wars nerds do. Look at that scene again and tell me that they didn't intend that character to become hugely popular. I don't believe it for a moment.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ehhhh, his name wasn't in the movie, so as far as I'm concerned, he's TR-8R until proven otherwise.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Small edit: FN-2199 and the rest of the training squad was actually in the 'Before the Awakening' anthology book about the main character's lives before the events of the movie. So apparently it was in from the start. But I don't think they knew it would be as big as it turned out.

Really? Obsessing over details like this is kind of what Star Wars nerds do. Look at that scene again and tell me that they didn't intend that character to become hugely popular. I don't believe it for a moment.

As a Star Wars nerd, thank you. :) And no, I don't think they intended Nines to be the 'Fett' of the series. They were clearly trying to set up Captain Phasma in that role. But you can't Force a Fett. They just happen....

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Saw the movie tonight. Finn is NOT aware.

Agreed. However, I suspect that, when he wakes up, Poe won't let that situation persist: "Finn! You're awake! Good, I want to talk to you! Damn it, don't hide from me in the future important stuff like the fact that the girl you picked up on a sand-heap backwater is a Jedi!"

Finn will then more-or-less quote Han Solo's from Return of the Jedi: "Luke? A Jedi Knight?!? Ah, Luke's just a kid! Man, I'm out of circulation for a while and everyone starts getting delusions of grandeur!"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

No one's quite sure if that's a thumbs up or a middle finger from BB8

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ha, what? He went along with the plan, so clearly it's a thumbs up. Either way, it's adorable.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened

Yeah, I took it more as a threat than a thumbs up. Didn't Finn stumble back after BB-8 did that?

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Industrial Light and Magic’s Patrick Tubach describing the creative process they went through to design the moment:

Quote from: Patrick
One of the difficult things with animating something like that is you have to be very careful that it doesn’t look like he’s giving you some other sort of gesture! We moved all the pieces around to make sure it was very clearly a thumbs-up over any other kind of ‘salute.’

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Well I saw it as a middle finger and that's my head cannon.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Star Wars 7.5 fancomic  :laugh:
http://imgur.com/gallery/G0yRy

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Everyone hates Jar-jar.

Everyone.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Including Ahmed Best apparently. He's on record to refuse to play him ever again... I kinda feel bad for him though, having acted possibly the most hated character ever...

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

At least the character doesn't actually look like him. I bet most people don't know who played Jar Jar and won't recognize the actor in other movies.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Including Ahmed Best apparently. He's on record to refuse to play him ever again... I kinda feel bad for him though, having acted possibly the most hated character ever...

He probably still has it better than Jake Lloyd...
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Tova

• coprophage

Well I saw it as a middle finger and that's my head cannon.

I see it as a middle finger.

No, no. Not the scene.  :clairedoge:

Lines

• Awakened

Yeah, I took it more as a threat than a thumbs up. Didn't Finn stumble back after BB-8 did that?

So I saw this again today and having closely watched this scene, it's definitely a thumbs up. And Finn didn't move, so I don't know why I thought he stumbled. *shrug*

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Everyone hates Jar-jar.

Everyone.
Less so since the Darth Jar Jar interpretation came into existence.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

On BB-8 and digital signalling

We did several different prototype ideas of what that could look like, and we had various amounts of metal and plastic on there,” added Patrick Tubach, another ILM visual effects supervisor for the film. “One of the difficult things with animating something like that is you have to be very careful that it doesn’t look like he’s giving you some other sort of gesture! We moved all the pieces around to make sure it was very clearly a thumbs up over any other kind of ’salute.'
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tova

• coprophage

I really would like to know, of those who claim that it is a middle finger, how many genuinely interpreted it that way, and how many are stirring the pot 1.

Because it's beginning to sound like some kind of a Star Wars inkblot test.

1. I find myself asking this kind of question fairly often, which possibly says a lot about me in turn.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

Gladstone

• The Tickler

In the context of the film itself, BB-8 is helping Finn after he pleads with him to do so. Giving him a negative gesture after their interaction would make no sense.

BB-8 could still be mad/exasperated.  I mean, Finn did kinda put him on the spot.  "Fuck you for making me lie to this precious cinnamon roll."  That said, I interpreted the gesture as a thumbs-up both times I saw it, but I can still see how it could be otherwise.

In other news, Episode VIII has been pushed back to December 2017 opening, both to give the filmmakers more time (reworking script to give us more Rey, hooray!) and to avoid competing with other movies.  This puts it up against Avatar 2 instead, but ha, like that's ever really coming out.

Lines

• Awakened

In the context of the film itself, BB-8 is helping Finn after he pleads with him to do so. Giving him a negative gesture after their interaction would make no sense.

BB-8 could still be mad/exasperated.  I mean, Finn did kinda put him on the spot.

Honestly, that's how I'd interpreted it the first time I saw the movie. More of a, "I'll save your ass, but you better watch out or I'll cut you."

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

And on a different note, a short, simple, Fan Film knocks JarJar Abrams, Lucas and Disney into a cocked hat.

James The Kugai 

Tova

• coprophage

It was excellent, but I wouldn't get that carried away (you don't like Abrams, I take it).

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

Not since he and Paramount fucked over Star Trek, no.
James The Kugai 

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist

Now that I think about it, they never showed the Death Star enter hyperspace. How did it get from system to system? Space is unfathomably big.

I read that they cut scenes showing the bigger Death Star flying near lightspeed, because it broke the illusion of size to see it zipping around.
Thinks too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up