THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The insomniac thread  (Read 8593 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
The insomniac thread
« on: 20 Jan 2016, 02:19 »

For posts during what would normally be the author's sleep time.

I get oddly creative or at least inventive sometimes on sleepless nights.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
Re: The insomniac thread
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2016, 03:58 »

It's approaching 7, I have yet to be able to fall asleep and I need to drive my gramma to the doctor at 8. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, grandma
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2016, 07:11 »

Update. Grandma made it. My heart's acting funny, what with the two energy drinks I had (I also worked out cause my gym happened to be right next to the doctor's office, so that was convenient, but certainly didn't help the jitters and my heart).

I got to sleep at 7:58 and woke up at 8:03. I'm debating on whether or not to just stay awake as long as possible and try resetting my sleep schedule, seeing as I don't think a 7am-3pm sleep schedule is particularly healthy.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2016, 11:34 »

Cold I think the majority of my best lyric ideas have come to me at appalling times. I've often been kept awake at night by a song lyric and sometimes even a full melody/chorus.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2016, 03:21 »

This is happening a lot lately. I've ruled out the usual problems like coffee after noon and blue LEDs in the sleeping area (and whose brilliant idea was it to put those on a CPAP?!).

I'll try thinking about cats. They're fuzzy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2016, 06:17 »

Never fell back asleep after second bathroom trip, and that's on a night I took Ambien and had exercise during the day.

Here I am, and it's not too bad. The phone doesn't ring, and I can tear down the hall at full speed without risking collision with my wife. I have to be quiet but I'm fairly good at that. A dimmed headlamp solves the illumination problem.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

The Shame Orb

« Reply #6 on: 01 Apr 2016, 00:10 »

So you can't manage a simple biological process that any life form more advanced than a nematode can handle.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #7 on: 01 Apr 2016, 14:52 »

It is 8 minutes to midnight, and I am staying up until midnight to congratulate someone to their birthday I no longer like.... and never really liked... but it is too awkward to say now.

I am a shitty person.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #8 on: 09 Apr 2016, 01:48 »

There's no obvious cause for tonight's insomnia. Next experiment -- avoid the computer for an hour or two before bedtime.

After all, there's plenty of time to get on the computer later when I can't sleep.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2016, 17:19 »

2am.
Messed up sleep schedule and muscle pain. Feels like sore miscles after exercising too much, except I did not do thst at all. Had them when I woke up in the morning.
Maybe I should take something against the pain, but I already took some meds this week :/
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2016, 01:20 »

The best way to recover from my current illness is probably to sleep a lot. I may be running a fever but I don't know since the only thermometer in the house is not necessarily accurate. My throat is so inflamed that I gag when I imagine gargling.

Amazon Prime will fix the thermometer problem soon. Did you know that if you search for quick-reading thermometers all the first half dozen results are meat thermometers?

It's not that my mind is keeping me awake. For example I have trouble spelling "thermometer".

EDIT: This time it's been an hour and a half since my bladder woke me out of a sound sleep and nothing has worked to get me back to that much-missed sound sleep. For heaven's sake, I was sleeping better on the train. It seems unfair that I'm getting neither unconsciousness nor insights.

EDIT: Aand again. Dark cool room. No late caffeine. The same thing happens with or without daytime exercise. No unusual stress, unless you count preparing for a meeting with my state representative about which I'm highly motivated. The cough isn't helping but it started after I'd been lying awake.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2016, 03:39 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2016, 18:12 »

Been getting work done in the back garden and the builders have been coming and going and leaving the gate unlocked. This sets off my paranoia but I’ve been at work all week and unable to keep track of keeping the gate locked. Last night my Partner and I were in the living room with the window open and I hear someone say my name and I near have a heart attack. This is one of my nightmares, a stranger trespassing into my home.
Turns out it’s my goddamn mother. Just popping in when they noticed the gate was open.

It scared the shit out of me and a day later, I am still freaked out. I went for a nap and had a nightmare about people breaking into my home.

I’m trying to sleep now but brain won’t turn off. Goddamn.

Also I can hear what sounds like it might be a dog snoring outside but it might be a bear summoning an Elder One.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2016, 21:16 »

Eek. I think I'd be scared too.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2016, 06:09 »

This is one of my nightmares, a stranger trespassing into my home.

A week after I moved into my new house, some guy just opened the front door and walked in, saw me (all 6foot 1, 350 lbs of me), said "Sorry, wrong house.", got in his truck (that was parked in my driveway, next to my car) and drove off.

Guess who now locks the door even when he's home?
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2016, 07:53 »

Holy crap. I've always locked the doors when I'm home, even when expecting people. Helps me feel safer.

A big part of it is that when we were first moving in, the old tenants barged in and started lifting stuff. They stopped paying rent and the landlord locked them out and then sold the house to us still full of items. It was mostly broken furniture. We let them grab some stuff that we'd already thrown in the skip but still had to argue about what was actually ours that we just brought in and some items we wouldn't let them take, since at this point it was all legally ours. Then a week or so later, we had the front door open while moving more stuff in and out and the same people sent their daughter into the house alone while the mum was outside watching in. She ran as soon as she saw my Partner. What kind of person makes their child do that?
We saw them scoping out the house a couple times even after calling the police but they eventually stopped showing up. Took me a long time to not think they were about to bust through the door at any moment.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2016, 07:56 »

This is one of my nightmares, a stranger trespassing into my home.

A week after I moved into my new house, some guy just opened the front door and walked in, saw me (all 6foot 1, 350 lbs of me), said "Sorry, wrong house.", got in his truck (that was parked in my driveway, next to my car) and drove off.

Guess who now locks the door even when he's home?

In grad school, I had a couple roommates who would never bother locking the door. One Friday night, some drunk girl wandered in (she thought it was her apartment, and was so smashed she had no idea she was in the wrong place). She found her way to my bathroom and puked in the sink.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #16 on: 01 Jul 2016, 02:24 »

Damn this is annoying. If I fall asleep immediately I'll still only get five hours.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jul 2016, 18:29 »

3.30 AM.

I have been completely out of synch since finishing my ER-night rotation over a week ago. This is fucking up my vacation :x
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:26 »

3:25, and that's with taking a Benadryl before bed.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #19 on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:07 »

It seems like the earlier I have to get up in the morning the more likely it is that I won't fall asleep.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:03 »

This one's hard because of the high likelihood that I may get forced tomorrow morning.

XP

Sent from my Nextbook

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: [1]   Go Up