THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *IMPORTANT* DMCA vs FairUse (VERY time-sensitive link in 1st post) NOT APR FOOLS  (Read 5443 times)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

TLDR: If you are at all familiar with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act or the #WTFU issue going on at the moment & have anything to say on the issue, now is the time. Click on this link & follow instructions to say your piece. At the time of this posting, there are less than 21 hours left in order to do so! further details below.

Make your voice heard comment via https://www.takedownabuse.org/
Call them Toll Free – 1 (877) 476–0778 and press 0

Email them at http://copyright.gov/help/index.html

Let’s get the comments into the thousands. Tell the Copyright Office your issues with the DMCA! It’s time to take a small step forward and try and begin to start real change. This is really only the first step, and while this whole battle won’t be easy we must try and fix these problems at the source. Even if you don’t live in the United States, you can comment on the form anyway!

Original comment form link HERE!

if you don't know anything about #WTFU, see the next post, and subsequent discussions

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
DMCA vs FairUse Doctrine, #WTFU discussion
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2016, 01:03 »

in order to comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act while still being able to cope with the absolutely massive amount of data they deal with on a daily basis, youtube has implemented an automated system for supposed copyright holders to report alleged copyright infringements. this system is extremely open to abuse because it automatically removes the video in question from youtube, and imposes harsh punishments against the alleged infringer, who is effectively guilty until proven innocent. while the alleged infringer can open a dispute & attempt to clear the claim, this must be done manually by contacting an actual human being within youtube, which can take a very long time. if/when the video is cleared, the claimant faces absolutely no negative consequences for false-claims.

this system creates a massive power differential between the two parties, and as such has of late been extremely abused (see accompanying videos). the primary offenders seem to be movie studios attempting to prevent negative reviews of their films from being seen by filing complaints en masse. many videos are getting pulled despite containing absolutely no infringing content whatsoever. from what i understand, many of them are contracting smaller companies to do this for them, companies who may not even fully know that their clients do and do not own rights to.

this is a major problem for people who make their livings via youtube, particularly those who do so via advertising, as one of the punitive consequences that may be enacted is the redirection of ad-revenue toward the claimant. that money is not returned if/when the claim is successfully disputed & the claim is cleared.

this is a problem for the rest of us because unfortunately, youtube has a virtual monopoly on video hosting services. as such, until a viable alternative comes on to the scene, almost all online video communication is going to be governed by youtube's polices.

what follows is the original #WTFU video, which explains the issue better than can at the moment.

(click to show/hide)

another video, which explains just how ridiculous this can get

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

Published on Feb 18, 2016

Many of you have asked for my thoughts on #WTFU. Here I offer my comments from the legal perspective.

Nostalgia Critic's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqFA...

I hope Google will step up and offer solutions to the problems. But I don't have high expectations.

What do you think? Leave your thoughts and comments and questions below, or message me through the channel or on twitter @leonardjfrench

Thanks for watching!
Pages: [1]   Go Up