THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 04:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The last two weeks of QC...  (Read 3147 times)

sfsdfd

The last two weeks of QC...
« on: 05 Feb 2016, 03:55 »

...are some of the best QC I've read in years.

So much to love! Hannelore's super floof, Emily's fun dippiness, Bubbles's newfound personal growth and germinating social niche, Faye's consistent "nonplussed" look. Everyone's in full character and the drawing is fun. All so, so good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: The last two weeks of QC...
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2016, 09:37 »

I wonder if her newly developing social niche is going to say "Oh, crap, we adopted another one!".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

lummo

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2016, 12:39 »

Yea, really top notch. The artwork and storytelling overall, and Bubble's Tea cup epiphany in particular.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2016, 12:57 »

mmm. Bubble tea...

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2016, 17:09 »

I'm wondering if Bubbles just discovered a function intended as a control measure or a joke or something.

I can picture some general going for it as an emergency control system;
"Sir, the AI have turned on us!  They're attacking!" 
"Oh, are they?  Get that fifty-five gallon drum, brew this five pounds of tea into it, and set this hose on mist!" 
"....what?...."
"Classified as Hell, son, but trust me on this one."

Of course I can picture the same general flatly rejecting the idea on the grounds that the enemy might find out about it, too.  It's hard to know what to be paranoid about when you're a professional paranoid.

On the other hand, I can picture a late-night coding run trying to solve a synasthesia symptom where somebody took a break, got stoned, watched My Little Ponies for three hours, and continued coding after getting the bizarre idea that this would be cool.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2016, 06:56 »

I really doubt it was a counter measure or anything. The talk between Bubbles and Momo implies that AIs joining the military is not that common, and a contested subject between AI-kind. On the other hand, Hanners says there are several AI customers who visit just to sniff the tea. It is entirely possible they experience something similar visions. So it may well be something common to all AI bodies with olfactory sensors. Also the visions didn't seem disabling.. if anything it was extremely easy for Faye to interrupt Bubbles enjoyment of Unicorn Grove.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2016, 10:24 »

Yeah, if it's a countermeasure, it's not very effective. Which, IMO, lends credence to the Programmer-got-stoned-and-thought-it-would-be-clever scenario. 

Of course that opens a whole different ethical can o' worms.  Given that your code directly affects someone else's perception of reality, it would be really scummy to put something like that in there without basic things like discussion and consent.  Thinking it would be cool, or even making it enjoyable, is not enough.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2016, 10:54 »

Yeah, if it's a countermeasure, it's not very effective. Which, IMO, lends credence to the Programmer-got-stoned-and-thought-it-would-be-clever scenario. 

Of course that opens a whole different ethical can o' worms.  Given that your code directly affects someone else's perception of reality, it would be really scummy to put something like that in there without basic things like discussion and consent.  Thinking it would be cool, or even making it enjoyable, is not enough.
Well since the AI does not come with built in olfactory or other senses built in on its own to begin with I think that if you are even partially correct that whatever it is is part of either the sensor package itself or, more likely in my opinion, that the driver interface has a stack overflow error somewhere.

My idea is that since smell always calls up some sort of imagery from memory for use meat machines that the AI equivalent driver does the same thing but there is an inherent error in the memory pointer when dealing with highly complex scents, which herbal infusions and really good quality teas both qualify as.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up