• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Valentine's Weekend Coming!

Marten proposes to Claire
Dora proposes to Tai
CLAIRE proposes to MARTEN (because she's a modern, liberated woman)
Emily asks Faye and Bubbles if this is their first date; stuttering ensues
Pintsize - The AnthroPC Who Stole Valentine's Day
Jeph reveals a half-dozen new ships in a matter of a few strips as if we should have known about them already
Mr Burny the Espresso Machine announces his love for the cash register
Sven writes a sugary love ballad and invites his sister to work out who its about

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3151 to 3155 (8 - 12 February 2016)  (Read 35550 times)

scandina

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT Strips 3151 to 3155 (8 - 12 February 2016)
« Reply #150 on: 11 Feb 2016, 14:51 »

Good to see Jeph stretching the art to new locations; that first panel just works somehow.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #151 on: 11 Feb 2016, 15:05 »

That is not coffee - that is burned coffee beans cooked into a soup with flavored sugar syrup added and hidden under layers of cream, fat and who knows what else.

Starbucks does sell regular coffee. It's not bad, but there is a thing called Bridgehead here, and it supersedes all other chains for me now.
As Thrudd pointed out, even without the sugar and fat, the beans are burnt to hell.  Easy to mask the flavour of shit product.  I tend to prefer lighter and medium roasts for the reason that it's easier to see GIGO in action if the beans are bad than it is with darker roasts.  I pay far less going into local places that roast their own and use better beans.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #152 on: 11 Feb 2016, 15:08 »

Coffee? Starbucks? What? They serve burning caffeine-water and also caffeinated sugar. They do not serve coffee.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

ShaenTheBrain

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #153 on: 11 Feb 2016, 17:06 »

This storyline is infuriating.  I never expected Faye to be this weak or this stupid.  I expected Dora to continue to be an irredeemable monster, but I'd hoped that maybe, for once, someone, anyone, would call her on it.  No such luck.  No, once again, no one, in the comic or in real life, can see through the Hot Barista fantasy (or the small business owner self-insert fantasy) to the disgusting reality within.

Dora has always been too weak to keep her employees at a professional distance, to keep her professional and personal lives separate.  Instead, she indulges herself by letting them bleed into each other.  She blurs what should be clear lines.  By trying to have her cake and eat it, too, she puts herself in the impossible position of having to choose between her personal and professional obligations at every turn.  Her employees and so-called "friends" are the ones who suffer for it.

Dora betrayed Faye.  Dora's betrayal left Faye so desperate that she had to resort to survival-crime to stay alive.  In the real world, where underground robot pit-fights don't exist, Faye would be whoring herself out on a street corner right now, because of Dora.  Dora even acknowledged that Faye needed help.  But Dora didn't help her.  Dora kicked her when she was down.  Dora looked at a bad situation, and decided to make it worse.  She had power, and instead of using it to help, she abused it, so that she could re-assert her precious "authority" and put her insubordinate subordinate in her place.  Instead of saving what was left of Faye's life, Dora destroyed it, by giving in to her most petty emotional impulses.

Dora is Faye's enemy.  But Faye still insists on treating her like a friend, on buying into the bullshit fantasy that is "forgiveness."  Trusting someone who betrayed you is stupid and weak.  The only thing you can "trust" a betrayer to do is to betray you again.  And why wouldn't they?  By taking them back into your life, you've removed any consequences they might have suffered for their betrayal, and by doing so, you've quietly condoned that betrayal.  The moment it's more convenient for them to betray you than to not betray you, they will stab you in the back again.

Dora doesn't deserve Faye's forgiveness or her friendship.  She doesn't deserve anyone's friendship.  She's a toxic, insecure control-freak who lashes out at anyone who, in her diseased mind, threatens her authority over her petty little fiefdom.  She poisons anyone who makes the mistake of letting her into their life.  She's a terrible person, and she deserves to suffer for it.

Their mutual "friends," especially Marten, have all proved that they don't deserve the title.  They proved it when, the very second they found out what Dora did, they didn't cut her off forever.  Marten proved how weak and stupid he is when he didn't break off all contact with Dora forever, once he found the good sense to finally dump her.

The only satisfying conclusion to this story would be if Faye skinned Dora alive and set what was left on fire.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #154 on: 11 Feb 2016, 17:28 »

I never expected Faye to be this weak or this stupid.
I don't see how she's either, please explain.
She blurs what should be clear lines.
Why should they be? Why intentionally not be friends with someone?
Dora's betrayal left Faye so desperate that she had to resort to survival-crime to stay alive.
Even ignoring Faye being sober now, Faye has a much better job than she did before. She's getting paid to do something she did as a hobby, and while we don't have numbers, it's gotta pay more than a barista gig.
(various bits about betrayal)
I suppose it could be debatable whether Dora firing Faye was the right thing to do. Do you know who never doubted that it was the right thing to do? Faye. Faye needed help, and she needed motivation to get better. She's making constant progress, and getting back in touch with her friend is definitely a step in the right direction for both her and Dora.

Your view on forgiveness itself is rather depressing, and the last sentence is rather terrifying.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #155 on: 11 Feb 2016, 17:29 »

Dora has always been too weak to keep her employees at a professional distance, to keep her professional and personal lives separate.  Instead, she indulges herself by letting them bleed into each other.  She blurs what should be clear lines.

Weak?  That's a fantasy.  Sure, the CoD atmosphere isn't like that of an office or a more corporate establishment.  It fits the scenario, and is frequently what I have encountered working in a variety of small coffee shops.  I prefer to keep my personal life and work at arm's length, but I have certainly gone out for drinks after work with supervisors, and hung out (and hung over).  This is quite realistic.  I don't see how one management style that some, including myself, don't follow is weakness.

Dora betrayed Faye.  Dora's betrayal left Faye so desperate that she had to resort to survival-crime to stay alive. 
Dora is deeply flawed.  Jeph hasn't shied away from that.  She has control issues, and is even only speaking to her brother because Hanners staged an intervention.  But she can't be an enabler for Faye, as a friend, and especially as a boss.  Friends hurt each other.  Sometimes deeply.  It's infuriating, it's painful, and it sucks.  But c'est la vie.

Dora is Faye's enemy.  But Faye still insists on treating her like a friend, on buying into the bullshit fantasy that is "forgiveness."

<snip>
I don't even see why I responded as I did without reading in full first.  Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted precious moments of my life with a troll.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #156 on: 11 Feb 2016, 17:35 »

Global Moderator Comment Yes, we got three moderator reports on that one. I will send a PM next, and will discuss further action with the rest of the team.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #157 on: 11 Feb 2016, 17:41 »

Do what you guys need to do.  I just thought it best that I stop ere I post something that'd get me smacked with a mod-hammer.  Then again, I think it *has* been a couple of years since I last told someone here off.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2016, 17:46 by hedgie »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #158 on: 11 Feb 2016, 17:58 »

Scene change incoming, BTW...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #159 on: 11 Feb 2016, 17:59 »

Lol that dude is fuckin gross :mrgreen:
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #160 on: 11 Feb 2016, 18:46 »

What dude?  :-D

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #161 on: 11 Feb 2016, 18:56 »

coffee stuff

The Starbucks back home's coffee was a better option than Tim Hortons, if I could get it. And my sister got a discount for working there.
There wasn't a whole lot of other options until I moved to the city proper, and Starbucks sells fair trade coffee.
 And the Orange Spice Iced Coffee was fantastic when available, and I wish they'd bring it back. Maybe Starbucks isn't "good", but it did what I needed it to do.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #162 on: 11 Feb 2016, 20:32 »

Ah, the concerns over domestic tranquillity, and dungeons.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #163 on: 11 Feb 2016, 20:35 »

No, no, no. Jim's man-cave in the basement is where the dungeon will go.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #164 on: 11 Feb 2016, 20:49 »

Veronica lies!

New Rule: If a door is locked, DO NOT PICK IT.

New Rule #2: Same goes for all closets, strongboxes, chests, etc. etc.

New Rule #3: That Is Not A Toy.

New Rule #3, Addendum: Okay, fair, so it is a toy, but please set it down anyway.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #165 on: 11 Feb 2016, 20:53 »

Oh goody! Forum hijinks!

*grabs a comfy spot and some popcorn*

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #166 on: 11 Feb 2016, 20:58 »

Is Bean their last name, or Sam's middle name?

I fuhgot.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Deadcoder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #167 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:01 »

That last panel shows why she's a good parent. She doesn't just dismiss a child's concerns blindly. She actually knows when someone's fears or emotions have a basis in reality, and she works with that. Huh, the dominatrix has good people skills.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #168 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:02 »

I... I'm pretty sure it's her middle name, but I cannot remember Jim's last name ever being stated.

That said, Jim Bean is a terrible name and if that is actually his name I'm going to glare really hard at my cat.  (Because I want to punch something but the only other living creature around is my cat and I'm not going to punch a cat.)

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #169 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:07 »

Cats are bastards. Chances are better than average, he'd deserve it if you did.

If it's their last name, are they related to Leslie Bean from the Willis-verse?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #170 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:11 »

Important questions are important. And also relevant. But it's probably a poor choice to set up that business at home, with a child in it. Some people would get the wrong idea. It's interesting that we have another confirmed long-term couple here though...

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #171 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:15 »

Do not punch cats. That is a mean thing to do. I see why you are angry now, mad cat, someone punched you, didn't they?

I am interested in the fact that Jeph is making the Veronica move-in a plot point. This would suggest that she, Jim and Samantha are about to become more important to the plot at hand, and I like this idea.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #172 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:16 »

It's interesting that we have another confirmed long-term couple here though...

Maybe Jeph is trying to set up that 2014 cast poster as an actual party.  Twist: it's a Welome Home party for Angus.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #173 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:36 »

I'm sure that Sam's only concern about having a dungeon in the house was whether she'd have to give up her bedroom.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

solemnwar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #174 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:42 »

It's interesting that we have another confirmed long-term couple here though...

Maybe Jeph is trying to set up that 2014 cast poster as an actual party.  Twist: it's a Welome Home party for Angus.

I would like to see Angus again. Not necessarily reintroduced to the cast, but maybe a bit of closure for Faye. "Sorry it couldn't work out" or something. I always felt his leaving was kind of... abrupt. Like, I feel he should've at least tried a little harder with Faye? Considering how long it took him to win her over... lol

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #175 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:51 »

"Sweetie, dungeons go in the basement, not in children's bedrooms. Most of the time. There are niches."
oh god

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #176 on: 11 Feb 2016, 21:53 »

At least she's asking relevant questions.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #177 on: 11 Feb 2016, 23:12 »

It's sort of disturbing that Sam seems to have worked out what is Veronica's career. Of course, she's a teenager with an internet connection, so I suppose it was inevitable that she would find out about it sooner or later. It was also inevitable that she would know about and casually discuss the more... er... technical details.

New trivia: I think that this is the first time we've had Jim and Sam's surname confirmed.

@Shaen,
Whoa! Such anger! Mate, I'm thinking that this is personal for you in some way!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #178 on: 11 Feb 2016, 23:39 »

Veronica *did* tell Sam that she spanked people for a living.  I don't think that the kid would have to do much work to find out.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #179 on: 11 Feb 2016, 23:42 »

It's sort of disturbing that Sam seems to have worked out what is Veronica's career.
Veronica told her the first time they met.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #180 on: 12 Feb 2016, 00:07 »

My ability to remember celebrity names is not strong, so my first reaction to today's strip was: "Sam Bean? Isn't that the actor who keeps dying?"

This is why I don't have a job as a gossip magazine writer.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #181 on: 12 Feb 2016, 00:59 »

"THAT'S IT, YOUNG LADY! GO TO YOUR DUNGEON!"

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #182 on: 12 Feb 2016, 01:39 »

Head-canon note: Over on the Subreddit, someone pointed out that Jim and Sam have the same surname as Prof. Leslie Bean in Dumbing of Age. Interestingly, although Leslie is a lesbian, in the Walkyverse she explained that was once married to a man but was unable to make it work, even though he was basically a nice guy. We know that Sam's mother left and is rarely mentioned anymore. Remember that Dumbing of Age characters have been seen in Coffee of Doom, so an argument could be made that QC and DoA are occasionally-intersecting continuities.

Until a canon mother for Sam is in some way introduced or identified, my head-canon is that Sam is Leslie's daughter. At least she doesn't have to worry about college, I'm sure that Leslie could get her into IU and, who knows? Maybe Dina or Becky would be the TA in her biology class!
~~~~

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #183 on: 12 Feb 2016, 02:09 »

I've also wondered about a possible connection between Sam and Leslie. Your headcanon now exists in more than one head. That practically makes it truth, doesn't it?  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #184 on: 12 Feb 2016, 03:49 »

Until a canon mother for Sam is in some way introduced or identified, my head-canon is that Sam is Leslie's daughter. At least she doesn't have to worry about college, I'm sure that Leslie could get her into IU and, who knows? Maybe Dina or Becky would be the TA in her biology class!

Leslie Bean's ex-husband Leo was was introduced in Shortpacked! and there is no reason to believe that the name of the character has changed. He was a passive-agressive jerk in Shortpacked! and from things DOA Leslie has mentioned she recieved absolutely no support from DOA Leo or her family and might have spent time homeless after she came out if not for friends, so it seems that the DOA versions were totally intolerant assholes.

Jim doesn't seem like that sort of person

EDIT: homeless, not woman's shelter
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2016, 03:59 by Eternal_Newbie »
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #185 on: 12 Feb 2016, 04:59 »

Plus Sam spends some times with her mom, doesn't she? That'd be hard if her mom lives in Indiana.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #186 on: 12 Feb 2016, 05:10 »

Plus Sam spends some times with her mom, doesn't she? That'd be hard if her mom lives in Indiana.

Hard, but not impossible.

FWIW, I've already got a few ideas in my head of Sam going to IU for an access visit and ending up hanging out with Dina and Becky. After all, what are dinosaurs but bigger sorts of reptiles?

Then there's the fun she could have with Joyce!

JOYCE: "So, your dad's thinking of remarrying?"

SAM: "Uh-huh. She spanks people for a living."

JOYCE: SLACK-JAWED BSOD
~~~~

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #187 on: 12 Feb 2016, 05:16 »

I realize that this week has probably been just Jeph showing us where our friends are post time-skip. But I am also worried about the "then they lived happily everafter" vibe I'm reading into this. Ok, may be "mildly concerned" rather than worried. If we next see Steve pushing a baby-trolley, and then Sven & Hanners holding hands, then I would be worried that the end is near.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #188 on: 12 Feb 2016, 05:47 »

I'm guessing Jim is a big Nirvana fan... can't remember if his music tastes have been addressed in the comic or not.
Samantha Bean
Frances Bean Cobain
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #189 on: 12 Feb 2016, 07:33 »

I realize that this week has probably been just Jeph showing us where our friends are post time-skip. But I am also worried about the "then they lived happily everafter" vibe I'm reading into this. Ok, may be "mildly concerned" rather than worried. If we next see Steve pushing a baby-trolley, and then Sven & Hanners holding hands, then I would be worried that the end is near.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's the calm before the storm. The cast dynamics are stabilizing because the focus is about to turn to an external threat.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #190 on: 12 Feb 2016, 07:57 »

Totally read it as "Beam" at first.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #191 on: 12 Feb 2016, 09:48 »

She borrowed a teleportation machine from Raven.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #192 on: 12 Feb 2016, 17:55 »

Veronica lies!

New Rule #3, Addendum: Okay, fair, so it is a toy, but please set it down anyway.

#4: Snakes and other little friends stay in their homes and do not wander into lingerie drawers.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #193 on: 12 Feb 2016, 19:22 »

Veronica lies!

#4: Snakes and other little friends stay in their homes and do not wander into lingerie drawers.

5) Froglord is not permitted in the Bathroom.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #194 on: 12 Feb 2016, 20:18 »

I'm pretty sure those were already existing rules.. Veronica said no new rules.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #195 on: 12 Feb 2016, 21:17 »

With all the people contemplating if Bean is Sam's middle name, I'm wondering if I'm the only one who can see Jeph's note at the bottom right of the strip or something.

"Yes, his name is Jim Bean"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #196 on: 12 Feb 2016, 21:26 »

Perhaps, but the newspost isn't part of the comic itself :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #197 on: 12 Feb 2016, 21:29 »

The comment he's talking about actually is part of the comic (at least it's part of the image).

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #198 on: 13 Feb 2016, 02:53 »

The comment he's talking about actually is part of the comic (at least it's part of the image).

Right, the newspost confirms it again, just saying 'The Bean family.' Bean is definitely the last name.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #199 on: 13 Feb 2016, 05:22 »

Oh right. The alt text does have it. I guess that's good enough for me.

I wonder if he has a friend named Jack Damiels.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up