THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 15:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question regarding the post-singularity  (Read 5485 times)

Khuzor

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
A question regarding the post-singularity
« on: 07 Feb 2016, 14:01 »

I was wondering, and this is precisely what pushed me to register after 6 years of reading the comic, on the forums.

Surely I can tell that the integration of the new synthetic life has gone pretty swimmingly, at least the people we can see in the comic don't fuss at all over AI haveing equal rights and liveing just like humans.

However I was wondering, specyfically regarding AIs like Momo, very kind compasionate and seamingly attached to humans, and looking up to them as a sort of collective father and mother of the synthetic life.

How dose she feel about humans that are GENIUAINLY scared of AI? Not saying Fear that manifests in a form of bigotry or agressive opposytion: I mean just sheer fear, the way there pupils dialte when she or another robot enter the room, the instinctive recoiling if they get too close, the shivering voices, and heightened heart rates.

Dose she understand there fear? Surely she knows this isn't a case of basless fear, ever since the first concept of sentient machines entered Humanity's fictional work, humans feared them - machines can be tweaked and ajusted to be unstopable, far more effective and deadly than humans can be. Works of fiction like the Terminator, Portal and Portal 2, and ofcourse I have no mouth, and I must scream.

Dose Momo understand and try to reach out and establish dialogue with humans who witht here wild imagination can see how the AI species can eventually grow tired of abideing by there infriority and go the route of famous Sci-fi Horror on them?

the idea came to my ehad when I was babysitting my niece and she watches an Anime called DearS, the protagonist from what I saw there wasn't bigoted or hatefull, he was simply terrafied of Aliens as a whole, due to watching a lot of Horror flicks with aliens ( ex. Alien) and was more subconciously condytions to tremble before them than be geniuinely perjudaced.

How do you guys think Momo would react?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: A question regarding the post-singularity
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2016, 14:06 »

Momo has told Marten about a preacher in Northampton who has been orating pretty negatively about synthetics being soulless abominations. It has upset her very badly to be the target of such focussed hate, no matter indirectly.

A lot of her angst about Bubbles' military career is motivated by her fear that humans might one day decide AIs were a threat and turn on them in a war of extermination.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Khuzor

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2016, 14:18 »

Yes I know about that one, my curiosity is more towards, how would Momo deal with geniuine fear, not masked with selfrigthousness and Hatred. the kind of fear that varies from nervous stiff laughter and bouts of sweating, to outright knee weakening paralising terror.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2016, 14:51 »

You know, I find it hard to picture Momo inspiring that kind of gut-level fear in anything but the pathologically robophobic. She looks like a cute pre-teen girl, about as inoffensive as possible. The thing about pathological robophobes is that their fear is, well, pathological - it operates at a level below rational thought, so they really can't be reasoned out of it. About the only thing Momo could do in such a situation is apologize profusely and then remove herself from the situation as quickly as she could.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2016, 15:31 »

Momo would try to reassure them, I believe. She feels a sense of mission about being an ambassador.

Welcome, thoughtful new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2016, 18:02 »

To paraphrase Howard Tayler, I wouldn't want to be the reason for the extinction of humanity, but I'm the best reason I can think of.

At some level, Momo (and other AI) know that fear is at least potentially justified.  And I think *THAT* is why she''s so uncomfortable with Bubbles' military career.  Getting involved in wars means getting perilously close to becoming a potential exterminator of humanity. 

And try as she might to promote peaceful nonviolent interaction with humans and emotional health among AI, she's well aware that full sentience means the ability to go fully crazy, and that sooner or later there are going to be AI just as prejudiced and hateful as that minister she was talking about. 

This is something that AI researchers think about.  A lot.  I'm doing a paper for an upcoming conference about making artificial neural networks more stable with respect to poor initializations and badly chosen training parameters.  That's purely a technical improvement in how easy it is to make things learn, not an imminent danger to humanity.   But every one of these technical advancements puts one barrier out of the way, and sooner or later when somebody figures out how to make full-on strong existential threat to humanity, none of those relatively-trivial barriers are going to be left to stop her. 

And I'm one of those weirdos.  When I go home from work where we train neural networks to do translation of natural language, I work on my own time on the origins of will and desire and subjective experience. 

Sanity is a refinement.  It's not likely to be an attribute of any of the early AI.  Until we know something from experience about how and why they go insane, or why their starting state isn't anywhere close to sanity, we can't even get our hands around the problems.  And we go on even so, because we curious monkeys can't resist the tremendously interesting problem. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb 2016, 21:12 »

There will be abused AIs, and there will be AIs radicalized by abuse.

Momo and those who think like her can take away the fear of the unknown, but that will leave large problems unsolved.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2016, 07:42 »

This is something that AI researchers think about.  A lot.  I'm doing a paper for an upcoming conference about making artificial neural networks more stable with respect to poor initializations and badly chosen training parameters. 

Sounds like an ideal cauldron for chaotic behaviour (mathematically speaking).  Despite the similarity in language, being unstable in a chaotic system usually means some parameter or another is running off to infinity, which may cause a system to lock up or hit limiters of some sort, changing the system's behaviour unpredictably, and adding to the chaos.   :-P

The "locking up" part is probably the best outcome in such a situation.  At least, it's "mostly harmless". 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2016, 09:31 »

Oh joy. When we invented AIs in the QC world we may have invented new forms of mental illness.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #9 on: 04 Mar 2016, 18:20 »

What might be the symptoms of the AI psychopathy known as Kugai Syndrome?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2016, 14:22 »

i would like to point out one fact, I am NOT an AI

Please take note.

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #11 on: 05 Mar 2016, 14:27 »

One of the symptoms is the delusion that one is not an AI.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #13 on: 05 Mar 2016, 16:16 »

I'm a perfectly normal human being.  I have a T-shirt that says so. 

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2016, 20:26 »

You have a t-shirt that can talk??? Wow!!! I have to buy ones with words printed on them.  :-(

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2016, 05:40 »

You have a t-shirt that can talk??? Wow!!! I have to buy ones with words printed on them.  :-(
I have one that lights up and if I can get the drivers to behave, flashes subliminal messages why scrolling meme based nonsense.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2016, 18:52 »

I used to have one of those Pop-Tart t-shirts you mailed away for, with the dinosaur and a microphone and the soundbox that made it sing when you pressed a button on the shirt.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2016, 00:42 »

Singing dinosaur t-shirts -- what a concept!  :psyduck:
Pages: [1]   Go Up