THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode VIII  (Read 48631 times)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII
« Reply #150 on: 08 Jan 2018, 03:48 »

Just seen the movie.
Did I hate it? Nah.
Did I LOVE it? Nah.

Am I astounded at the (to my mind) ludicrous arguments that the backlash is down to misogyny? You bet yer bum!
MY problem with the movie is simple.

Bad directorial decisions... (now read on.. IF YOU DARE!) :)
(click to show/hide)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #151 on: 08 Jan 2018, 10:41 »

I think my biggest problem with the opening bombing run and Poe's demotion was the number of bombers sent. If just one craft's bombs was sufficient (and it evidently was), why sent the entire fleet? I get needing to send multiple so they could cover each other but given that they did have a fighter screen as well, why risk all of the bombers when just a handful would have sufficed?

I didn't mind the way the bombs moved (it's a film about space wizards with laser swords; scientific accuracy isn't the point here), or the unexpected "please hold" jokes (it's Disney, what are you going to do?). But the loss of the whole fleet is a fairly major plot point that didn't really need to happen.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #152 on: 08 Jan 2018, 19:11 »

Am I astounded at the (to my mind) ludicrous arguments that the backlash is down to misogyny? You bet yer bum!

I've seen a number of discussions about the backlash, but I've managed to miss this particular argument somehow.

You spend a lot of time speaking against the flaws for a film you allegedly don't hate?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #153 on: 09 Jan 2018, 03:06 »

I've seen a number of discussions about the backlash, but I've managed to miss this particular argument somehow.

You spend a lot of time speaking against the flaws for a film you allegedly don't hate?

Yep...
If I had *hated* it I would have gone on for far longer nit-picking the thing to shreds and having nary a good word for it.
My ire is more at "What the hell are they doing to star wars!!!" I didn't hate the film... but I severely disliked the shift in ... *feel* of some portions (and characters) of it... and the lazy film making in places. (It's too easy to point to enormous flaws, is my main problem.)

Oh... that article... (I envy you - I've been seeing it EVERYWHERE!)
https://bittergertrude.com/2018/01/04/why-so-many-men-hate-the-last-jedi-but-cant-agree-on-why/

And now.. SO HAVE YOU !!!

MUUUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, it's been a hard week!) :-)

ETA:
When I went to find the above article, this one popped up...  https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/19/the-last-jedi-why-star-wars-fans-hate-one-of-the-best-star-wars-movies/#2bb74c895658

Which AGAIN is running out the same old "reasons" that they "think" people are disliking the film for... and even *thisd* one falls onto the "the white older male audience" disliking it "because women!"

And I think that kind of garbage is only fuelling my ire! :)
I'll say it once more though...
BAD FILM-MAKING, bad logic and bad characterisation are my reasons.
I don't give a damn who is doing what or if "The men all fail"... I really don't... I just want to see a well crafted, logical movie without plot-holes you could drive a "fleet destroyer" through and scripted in a way that is as realistic as Sci Fi can be.

I am also annoyed at the "Ah but it isn't being made for *you* it's being made for the "new generation" of Star Wars fans...
Aye, right... because the new generation are different in what way, exactly, when it comes to expecting a well told tale?
Again, the pundits are commentating more on what they *think* people are annoyed about. (THEY'RE KILLING OFF OUR FRIENDS!)
Maybe some people are miffed at that... I kinda expected it!

« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2018, 03:18 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #154 on: 09 Jan 2018, 03:30 »

So, just to clarify: because you don't like the film due to subjective criticisms of the way it is written and shot, that means nobody at all is moaning about it being an SJW Star Wars movie?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #155 on: 09 Jan 2018, 03:53 »

So, just to clarify: because you don't like the film due to subjective criticisms of the way it is written and shot, that means nobody at all is moaning about it being an SJW Star Wars movie?

No, it means *I* am not.
It never even entered my HEAD that it might end up being tagged with the SJW label.

But I think that might just be the way I think...
I don't see there being any problem female leads, or females in positions of power...

(I dunno if that comes from being Scottish and the female being a strong character anyway? EG, until Kesia's implosion all three major political parties in Scotland were helmed by women - two of them Lesbian.)

...but when Poe was being hauled over the coals for what he did, I was shouting (inwardly) "HELL yeah!" because he was WRONG.
And the whole mutiny thing??? Leia should have just shot him. (Had it not been Disney Wars she might well have. If he had been on the Razor he'd be floating in space by now! :) )
But again, this plays into the bad characterisation element... Playing characters against type, to create drama, to then be able to *solve* this drama.

Looking at it with SJW in mind... you know what, if I actually take a moment to think about it, maybe it *was* created to deliberately pit the women-folk agin the men-folk.

But I don't care.
I just want good stories well told. And this failed to vault that hurdle.
It even failed to put forward a good new strong female character, showing her to be indecisive after such a STRONG intro, and then watching melancholically as the ships float away... and only to slam dunk herself when it's nearly too bloody late. (Better idea? "One of us has to stay behind to pilot the ship" "What? No, leave a droid!" "Trust me, the ship has to be piloted away from this fleet"... hugs hugs hugs. one shot of watching the fleet head toward s the planet. One shot FROM the fleet, seeing the ship turn around. "What's she doing?" "Oh no...!"
WHAM !!!! (YMMV, but I think that would have made for a far better *end* to her arc. Strong woman, tough decision made prior to being forced into it.)

A friend of mine said she didn't like the fact that Fin is being hailed as a hero for attempting to escape the ship and then being dragged into a "heroic" scenario.
I didn't even think he *was* trying to escape! I thought he was trying to head over to the big shop to sabotage it himself! But, again, we're looking at cookie-cutter characters here, deliberately side-lining those better known (Chewbacca, anyone?) pushed aside to shift focus. (I did have problem with TFA when Rey took control of the Falcon... not because she's female, but because Chewie's been flying it far longer than she has! You can be as strong in the force as you like, but I don't; see why that give inherent ability to fly starships with no previous knowledge of them other than as salvage)

But I digress...  :)
Maybe I should just pour all of this into a blog post and put up a link so you guys aren't forced to suffer this stream of semi--consciousness and you can all ignore the link!  :)
 :-D
Covenant

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #156 on: 09 Jan 2018, 04:20 »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #157 on: 09 Jan 2018, 04:23 »

???
Covenant

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #158 on: 09 Jan 2018, 04:53 »

Isn't that sentence literally you saying that it's ludicrous to suggest that the backlash against the film is misogyny related?

Or by 'backlash' are you referring to just your own opinion of the movie?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #159 on: 09 Jan 2018, 06:08 »

Isn't that sentence literally you saying that it's ludicrous to suggest that the backlash against the film is misogyny related?

Or by 'backlash' are you referring to just your own opinion of the movie?

I'm saying "to my mind" to suggest the backlash is based on misogyny is ludicrous.
Because I'm backlashing a bit and in no part does "the cast" even come into it.
Covenant

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #160 on: 09 Jan 2018, 06:53 »

That still sounds to me like my point stands - that you are saying that because your own objections are not misogynistic, then nobody's are.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #161 on: 09 Jan 2018, 06:57 »

Some people do have legitimate issues with the movie over writing, some complain that it's not what they were expecting and yes some do complain over sexist or racist issues. There is never just one opinion on everything.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #162 on: 09 Jan 2018, 08:49 »

That still sounds to me like my point stands - that you are saying that because your own objections are not misogynistic, then nobody's are.

Then I'm can't be making myself very clear. (Sorry.)

I have no doubt that a small (VERRRRYYYY small) number of people may view it that way.

But I *do* I doubt VERY much that it's the big deal this article seems to make out that it is because I have seen NO-ONE making any of the points that article makes...

And I've actually looked.

But no, none of the above is what I am trying to say.
Just to my mind that those who (apparently) ARE saying it's misogynistic are idiots.
But those saying "Why Men hate this..." are also idiots. (Maybe it just comes down to "NOT ALL MEN!" ?? But if it is, it's the worst example I've ever seen of it.)

Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #163 on: 09 Jan 2018, 14:04 »

But I *do* I doubt VERY much that it's the big deal this article seems to make out that it is because I have seen NO-ONE making any of the points that article makes...

Yeah, well. I thought no-one was making the claims you're complaining about. And yet you're making a very big deal out of that. So, I'd be careful in drawing conclusions. Yes, I've been reading reactions around the place (admittedly not comprehensively). Maybe the proximity of this film's release with the Tilly story has made me utterly fascinated with the kind of angry reaction we've seen towards both.

So, obviously you disliked the film. Actually, you spend so much denying you hate it, I wonder if you protest too much. It's fine if you hated it, it's fine if you disliked it. It's a pity that you felt unable to say so explicitly. My impression is that you disliked the film due to its numerous plot holes and inconsistencies. Is this very roughly correct?

This is one article about the backlash that I have retained. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/18/16791844/star-wars-last-jedi-backlash-controversy

You will note that one of several reasons for the backlash noted (the very first, as they are ordered from least to most significant reasons) is that the film is "too progressive." That specific backlash is out there. Not here, but I've seen it around. You can't discuss the backlash without at least noting it. But it's also obvious that different people disliked the film for different reasons.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #164 on: 09 Jan 2018, 18:26 »

While I'm at it, I'll put this one up for reactions as well. A post in another thread brought this article to mind.

The ‘Last Jedi’ backlash provides a useful primer in how not to watch a movie

Try not to get too upset at the provocative title.  :wink:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #165 on: 09 Jan 2018, 18:31 »

I like the glow sticks that go "Fwoom!".

(click to show/hide)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #166 on: 09 Jan 2018, 18:53 »

(click to show/hide)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #167 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:23 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #168 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:28 »

Yeah, well. I thought no-one was making the claims you're complaining about. And yet you're making a very big deal out of that. So, I'd be careful in drawing conclusions.

So, obviously you disliked the film. Actually, you spend so much denying you hate it, I wonder if you protest too much. It's fine if you hated it, it's fine if you disliked it. It's a pity that you felt unable to say so explicitly. My impression is that you disliked the film due to its numerous plot holes and inconsistencies. Is this very roughly correct?

That is not very roughly correct, that is almost my entire beef! :)
But there were also bits I liked! (Honestly, if I had hated it, I would have had no qualms in saying so.)

I think all it is , is, that I am disappointed in it. Which can often be worse than hatred.
And I'm kicking against the "official" 'this film is for the new generation', because all I see is dumbing down and pandering, and MY newer generation viewers are complaining about the same things that I did.

(Also... this just hit me... I think a part of my annoyance is the wiping out of Luke's "history" of becoming this amazing and worthy Jedi, due to "New Canon". But that is secondary to the craft being .. just... bad.)
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #169 on: 10 Jan 2018, 02:55 »

Long response coming, but I've noticed that the precise phrase "bad story telling" is probably the one thing in common between the vast majority of complaints.

Influencing each other?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #170 on: 10 Jan 2018, 03:57 »

Long response coming, but I've noticed that the precise phrase "bad story telling" is probably the one thing in common between the vast majority of complaints.

Influencing each other?

Quite possibly...
Re: the articles above... The second I have already read, but under a different title and site (!)
The first, (surprise, surprise!) opens with exactly what I have not seen anywhere... "People are complaining because the white male heroes are failing and the women are not!!" Seriously, I have not seen that anywhere else other than in these articles decrying it! Other than that, the article seems to be saying.. all these things have been changed and people are hating it. (It does touch on the humour, and does make the distinction that the humour of *older* star wars was different and not so brutally LOOK! LOOK! THIS IS FUNNY! But then tries to say "So what!?" Well.. that's kinda ther p[oint... Star wars isn't a comedy, and this movie opens with it trying to be one... It's almost as if they are trying to emulate the Marvel movies and their humour... except their has ALWAYS been out-and-out humour in Marvel. Star Wars had "amusing asides", and of course R2 and Threepio... who were (again) all but ignored in this one.

One of the articles ends by saying the filmmaker "Made star wars his own... and what's the problem with that?"
Well.. *I* would say when that filmmakers vision is so far removed from (to all intents and purposes ) around 50% of the franchises 'fans' (and probably of the higher age brackets who made it the success it was) *I* would say that's half the problem right there.

Tova, I'm looking forward to your post...
I just wish I had time to compose these responses more fully... (I only really access this site when I am at work ! :) :) :)  )

Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #171 on: 18 Jan 2018, 01:36 »

Sorry that I haven't got to this! In between a potentially life-changing a career switch and adopting a kitten, along with various minor home renovations, I've barely had time to sneeze. Better later than never! Regardless, here are some of my thoughts.

Spoilers within.

(click to show/hide)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #172 on: 18 Jan 2018, 02:17 »

Sorry that I haven't got to this! In between a potentially life-changing a career switch and adopting a kitten, along with various minor home renovations, I've barely had time to sneeze. Better later than never! Regardless, here are some of my thoughts.

Spoilers within.

(click to show/hide)

Nice piece.
I'm honestly glad you got that out of the movie.
I just don't agree with the premise you put forward. :)

However, as I've said often, my major problems with this film were in the craft. Bad film decisions and plotholes you could fly a star destroyer through.
(As well as abandoning/ignoring/wilfully discarding almost everything set-up in EpVII)

A "study in failure" doesn't make a compelling movie, to me...
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #173 on: 18 Jan 2018, 08:45 »

I've just seen the film for the first time and, after thinking about it, my overwhelming response was 'Ho-hum'. It wasn't good and it wasn't bad but it was mediocre, sometimes confused and I really didn't like the writing. What I liked the least was the constant juggling of idiot balls leading to bizarre plot devices whose only apparent purpose was to justify future plot devices or SFX set-pieces.

(click to show/hide)

There were a few moments that I liked:

(click to show/hide)
These things aside, my overwhelming sense was, as I have already said, was a film that was mediocre. Perhaps it is because I am somewhat involved in the Star Wars online community and that a lot of the philosophical issues regarding the weaknesses of and possible/probably corruption of the old Jedi Order have already been done to death on discussion forums, particularly around the time of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones led me to be unimpressed by the philosophical musings. Add in unimpressive battle scenes (with one notable exception), too much fourth wall-straining comedic one-liners and far too much 'this must not work or we won't have any reason for the next plot point' narrative convenience, I was generally dismissive of the script.

I suppose what sticks in my craw more than anything else is the ongoing policy to have the OT lead characters go out with a whimper: defeated and failures in their own minds. I find it a somewhat dispiriting act of cynical iconoclasm (clearly with the intent of making the newer characters seem more genuinely heroic) and it turns me off of the sequel films.

BenRG's Rating: 5/10
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #174 on: 18 Jan 2018, 14:00 »

Well, I agree with one thing. This won't win me any friends, but I do think there's an element of groupthink among hardcore fans.

Edit: A New Old Skywalker
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018, 17:42 by Tova »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #175 on: 19 Jan 2018, 02:54 »

Well, I agree with one thing. This won't win me any friends, but I do think there's an element of groupthink among hardcore fans.

Edit: A New Old Skywalker

"laughable animal husbandry and death-defying spearfishing"

I am so glad he put this in... because it's (as I've said) part of my main problem with the movie.

People can wax lyrical as much as they like about whether "The Changing of the Guard" was a brave or stupid move, but Levitt seems to change his mind half way through his own article.

BUT... he lets the whole thing down with this little holier-than-thou sentence...
"I think there’s a certain enjoyment to be had from taking a subversive stance against the biggest “Big Hollywood” movie of the year. And I know I couldn’t kill that buzz even if I wanted to. "

I'm afraid MY answer to that would be "Screw" quickly followed by "YOU!"
Because I WANTED to LOVE this movie.
And (as I think my very first comment on it said) all it left me with was a feeling of disappointment.
I take NO enjoyment in my criticisms of it... because I don't want to be making them!

I can't (and wouldn't think to) talk for everyone... but I never knew there WAS a backlash until after I had seen the movie and formed my own opinions because I stayed FAAARRRR away from anything to do with the movie until I had seen it.

But again, none of these articles I am seeing lauding the film happen to touch upon the awful plot holes or the bad humour too much, apart from side-lining those points before rambling on about how it's really *brave* to change everything everyone knows about Star Wars!

And that opinion is just as valid as those of us who think it was Stupid to do so...

I can't agree with your "groupthink" comment though, Tova. We're not all sitting in a room planning how to demolish this.
It's just as easy to point that accusation at those looking to make a silk purse out of this particular sow's ear.

I haven't taken the time to sit down and compose some massive about the damage the alterations to characters and bad plot could be...

(Highlights apart from the things mentioned above would probably be the insidious Millennial Entitlement shown in the movie. Rey gets all she wants... "Because she's a strong-free-single woman y'awl! She doesn't need to WORK to be the hardest bad-ass saber wielder in the 'verse. She just TAKES it, grlfrnd!"
Not the best message to be putting out there...)

And I probably never will... :)
All I can do is hope that IX does what VIII did to VII :)

ETA:
This dude here, from the comments on the LEvitt article)  kinda encapsulates most (but not all) of my problems with the film...
https://medium.com/@robbie.johnson/the-idea-of-the-risks-wasnt-bad-the-execution-was-11f3e429571e

ETAA:
I've just read all of the comments on the article.
I don't need to write anything now, a LOT of these guys get it (from my POV).
(And - look - NONE of it being "Why are these women/not-white-people getting all the glory!!??")

It's the craft... all to do with the (lack of) craft.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2018, 03:20 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #176 on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:10 »

I can't agree with your "groupthink" comment though, We're not all sitting in a room planning how to demolish this.
It's just as easy to point that accusation at those looking to make a silk purse out of this particular sow's ear.

Ha ha.
Of course I don't think anyone is doing that.
And yes, absolutely (your charactarisation of people who like the film notwithstanding).
In that order. :)

Edit: The article you linked. Some comments I agree with. Some I disagree. And some I find weird and nitpicky, like they are just grappling onto any flaw they can think of.

Just to make myself clear, with my groupthink remark, I'm not trying to say that people who hated the film are wrong and those who liked it are right. I'm just not convinced that the majority of people who disliked (or even liked) the film really know exactly why, let alone have the capability to explain it well. So they look to other reviews to try and explain it. So many SW geeks convinced they are great film critics. 
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2018, 03:16 by Tova »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #177 on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:25 »

I can't agree with your "groupthink" comment though, We're not all sitting in a room planning how to demolish this.

Ha ha.
Of course I don't think anyone is doing that.
And yes, absolutely (your charactarisation of people who like the film notwithstanding).
In that order. :)

Edit: The article you linked. Some comments I agree with. Some I disagree. And some I find weird and nitpicky, like they are just grappling onto any flaw they can think of.

Just to make myself clear, with my groupthink remark, I'm not trying to say that people who hated the film are wrong and those who liked it are right. I'm just not convinced that the majority of people who disliked (or even liked) the film really know exactly why, let alone have the capability to explain it well. So they look to other reviews to try and explain it. So many SW geeks convinced they are great film critics.

I can't agree with that, Tova.
I dunno if you have read the rest of the comments under that article - But I think those explaining why they dislike it are doing so VERY well.

When I first heard that Disney had taken this over I worried a bit.
Then I saw TFA and I thought.. okay, not bed.. let's see what happens.
And then I saw Rogue One and I thought WOW !!! Yes!!!
And I was So looking forward to TLJ...
Now, I'm worried about the last episode in the 'Saga'.
And fear that Star Wars will become another "straight to DVD" event... a sad end.
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #178 on: 19 Jan 2018, 12:28 »

Here is something from Rian Johnson's twitter that I thought was funny. I remember getting this book back in like 2011 or was it 2012 before Disney got Star Wars.

(click to show/hide)
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #179 on: 19 Jan 2018, 12:54 »

I've read more of those comments than I care to admit.

For someone who found the film 'average', you're saying all the things being said by people who detested the film.

Anyway, we're moved from explanation into hyperbole, so I think we're done here.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #180 on: 22 Jan 2018, 02:35 »

I've read more of those comments than I care to admit.

For someone who found the film 'average', you're saying all the things being said by people who detested the film.

Anyway, we're moved from explanation into hyperbole, so I think we're done here.

Meh, what can I say?
Some people clearly have stronger reactions! :)
But remember, some people liked Jar-Jar... :)
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #181 on: 22 Jan 2018, 10:40 »

Speaking of the prequels:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/mark-hamill-star-wars-prequels-the-last-jedi.html

I wouldn't wish this kind of response on any creator. I really wouldn't.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #182 on: 25 Jan 2018, 04:32 »

To be fair, he is a sith lord. Maybe.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #183 on: 26 Jan 2018, 02:16 »

To be fair, he is a sith lord. Maybe.

I'll tell ya... I love that theory.
(The misdirected shots of the robots being (to me) the largest nugget suggesting it might be true.
Reason being... those robots were animated to do EXACTLY what they did... this wasn't an *extra* looking the wrong way by mistake, this was a deliberate action.)

And it would have been STUNNING to have seen it play out.

I reckon the whole "people hate him too much to follow this through any longer" is only a weak excuse for the truth.
That being: that it was thought the force of 300 million jaws DROPPING on opening night might have shifted the axis of the earth,
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #184 on: 12 Feb 2018, 18:46 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #186 on: 13 Feb 2018, 02:59 »

That is what you get if you had attempted to insert common sense (something that I pointed out needed to be surgically extracted at every step in the actual shooting script of Episode VIII in order to actually make the next plot point necessary). I also agree that Luke and Rey smashing the First Order ground strike unaided would have been awesome... and a lot better than what we got. I also think that Rey should have switched from 'pull' to 'push' when fighting Kylo Ren for the lightsaber and knocking him out by crashing the hilt into his face.

Isn't it worrying that a parody made suggestions that would have made the film 10x more palatable and plausible?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #187 on: 13 Feb 2018, 03:06 »

That is what you get if you had attempted to insert common sense (something that I pointed out needed to be surgically extracted at every step in the actual shooting script of Episode VIII in order to actually make the next plot point necessary). I also agree that Luke and Rey smashing the First Order ground strike unaided would have been awesome... and a lot better than what we got. I also think that Rey should have switched from 'pull' to 'push' when fighting Kylo Ren for the lightsaber and knocking him out by crashing the hilt into his face.

Isn't it worrying that a parody made suggestions that would have made the film 10x more palatable and plausible?

Spot on, Ben...
Though, I don't, view this as a parody (other than the Akbar bits)...
I view this more as a... "Um, Mr. Disney... You *do* see that all these things were *wrong* ...surely?"

Dumbing down. Pandering.

If this film had been written as a novel it would have been panned for the plot holes.
(which the animation above only addresses a few of)

Why do films (in general!) seem to be getting away with this kinda nonsense more and more?
(Maybe it's not any more prevalent than before, but it does seem to be.)

Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #188 on: 13 Feb 2018, 20:02 »

Guys,

Have you subscribed to his channel? All of his videos are this way. Including every other Star Wars parody. And others. It's what he does.

I found it hilarious btw.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #189 on: 14 Feb 2018, 02:46 »

Guys,

Have you subscribed to his channel? All of his videos are this way. Including every other Star Wars parody. And others. It's what he does.

I found it hilarious btw.

I've not subscribed, but I've seen a few...
I think the difference with this and some of his other works is that this one (other than the Akbar scenes) were more a comic rendition of some of the things previously discussed.

I'm actually more impressed with the animation work! :)
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #190 on: 14 Feb 2018, 02:56 »

Yes, that is true. This film being a bit more divisive, it would make sense for him to play into that.

His animation work is pretty good.  8-)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #191 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:46 »

They even have their own "spin off" type series that involve Batman and Superman's constant coffee shop appearence at the end of every super hero HISHE and they interview the hero(s) fromt he film.  Now they interact with the villain pub too.  :-D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up