THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halp - the IT support thread  (Read 18280 times)

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: Halp - the IT support thread
« Reply #50 on: 25 Feb 2015, 21:20 »

I got Linux Mint 17.1 for free  :-P

...and I donated $3.14 out of the goodness of my heart.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #51 on: 26 Feb 2015, 16:52 »

Microsoft Exchange Server 14, 13, 12 and more, Microsoft Lync Server 2010, 13, Microsoft SQL Server 14, 12, 08, Microsoft Sharepoint Server 13, 10, 07, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012, R1 and R2, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2012 R2, Technical Preview.

And some of the more obscure ones, like the Business ones, Project Server and Office ones.

WOWZERS!  :-o

that is quite the haul... how DID you manage that, and can I cash in too ?    Puh-leeeeze?
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #52 on: 26 Feb 2015, 18:08 »

As a student of Informatics in the LMU, I get access to Microsoft Dreamspark.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #53 on: 27 Feb 2015, 00:57 »

Ditto.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #54 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:38 »

Are you also a student of informatics at the LMU? If so, why haven't we met?

This message is coming from Tapatalk inside my phone!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #55 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:46 »

Ah, no. Not the location, but the Dreamspark access.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #56 on: 08 Feb 2016, 15:53 »

Okay, this is one for the *nix gurus, since I'd rather ask here before I go on the OpenSuSE fora.  I'm having a hell of a time configuring my Wacom tablet (and especially trackpad).  The problem is that kcm-tablet5 seems to only work when it wants to, and the rest of the time, pretends the thing doesn't exist, even though the device is working fine. 

The xsetwacom command is working for setting both the pressure curve and screen mapping, but none of the options work (it gives me an error about the device not having that option).  The command also isn't changing my button mapping which is a pretty important thing for a left-hander like myself.  At this point, I'll probably just use the CLI to rotate the device 180° degrees, since even having the buttons in a somewhat inconvenient place is still better than having to move my hand to operate the ones I need most.

In short, I need to figure out why kcm-tablet5 seems to work intermittently, since it's the only way I can seem to get the configuration working.  There's also probably some obvious solution to this problem that I just haven't thought of.

Info dump on system:
OS info
KDE Plasma 5.4.3
Qt: 5.5.1
Kernel: 4.1.15-8-default

Drivers/software
driver: input-wacom-0.30.2
libraries: libwacom-0.18
KCM: kcm-tablet5 version 3.0.0_beta-4.4

Hardware info
Processor: AMD FX-8320 8 core
Memory: 15.6 GiB

Edit:
I have edited both tabletdblocalrc and tabletprofiles.rc (wacomtablet-kderc only contains one line with the name of the device) by hand, and tried both simply unplugging/replugging the tablet as well as restarting X.  The overrides on the buttons still don't function, but I *was* able to get the touchpad to record right-clicks by tapping properly. 

By this point, I suspect that perhaps the device is too new, and perhaps some of the options have changed for configuration.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2016, 22:06 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #57 on: 09 Feb 2016, 08:10 »

I had a nasty BIOS error beep and my PC refused to go beyond the initial BIOS start-up. It was one long, three short, a "Conventional/Extended memory failure".

I removed the dust from the innards and now it seems to work fine. I don't get PCs anymore.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #58 on: 09 Feb 2016, 11:37 »

I don't get PCs anymore.

They tend to give you more diagnostic info than Macs, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #59 on: 09 Feb 2016, 11:46 »

Not to mention tending to have more user-serviceable parts inside.  Hell, the new MacBooks require you to set RAM and HDD capacity for the life of the machine at purchase.  This *really* sucks for people who can barely afford one.  With the Macs I had in the past, I just bought the highest performance CPU I could afford with minimum RAM and HDD, and went to Fry's or NewEgg or something to buy larger amounts. 

Edit:
Update from my previous post.  I have isolated the problem, and it's just the buttons on both the stylus and tablet.  At least now I'll know exactly what I'll be emailing the people who write libwacom about.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2016, 22:15 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker
  • I certainly hope he got both eyes.
    • My url for random crap (yes i know its empty)
« Reply #60 on: 16 Feb 2016, 07:27 »

Hey, i can try and help. when its plugged in and apparently "not existing" in terminal what does lsusb return with (or lsusb -v)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #61 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:24 »

Oh, it exists as far as lsusb is concerned.  It's basically the KDE module that is fucked.  And even using the CLI, the buttons can't be configured.  I have managed to improvise by turning the thing upside down and just using the rotate command in my configuration shell script.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #62 on: 25 Mar 2016, 20:11 »

New post because new bloody problem.
System is OpenSUSE Leap, KDE

Up until last week some time, Netflix was working fine under Chromium, and it started giving errors. 
I had worried that an update broke everything, so I reinstalled both Chromium and Widevine.
Progress! … The error message changed to "Error Code: M7361-1254"

I giggle that, and their first recommendation is to disable Pulseaudio, which produced no change. (It is now reenabled)
Their second was to reinstall the driver for the sound card.  Okay, I'm holding off on that for the moment, since I presume that since the driver is part of the "vanilla" kernel that either I should simply reinstall alsa, or *shudder* recompile the kernel.  I'll get around to doing the alsa thing when I can stomach another reboot.  I haven't done the latter in ages, and have pretty much forgotten (or repressed) the experience. 

Not sure how to proceed, advise please.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #63 on: 25 Mar 2016, 22:34 »

two of these and call me in the morning.

Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #64 on: 25 Mar 2016, 22:58 »

To my head, or the machine?  Either sounds good at the moment.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up