THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK to post QC on other sites?  (Read 2163 times)

mandyk89

• Not quite a lurker
OK to post QC on other sites?
« on: 05 Mar 2016, 13:23 »

I was trying to find a thread about it but only got conflicting info. Is it okay to post QC comics to another site we use? I spend most of my web-surfing time on Aggro Gator (aggro-gator.com) and wanted to post a QC in there but I didn't want to get in trouble! I know it's copyright, but I just want to show it to people, not steal it or anything.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: OK to post QC on other sites?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2016, 13:31 »

Why not just paste a link to the QC home page? Or if there's a specific comic you want them to see, paste a link to that. That sidesteps the whole issue by sending people directly to Jeph's site.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2016, 01:50 »

I didn't want to get in trouble! I know it's copyright, but I just want to show it to people, not steal it or anything.

Then give them a link to the comic site (or the archive page if you're showing off a specific cartoon).  Otherwise you are depriving Jeph of income from clicks, which is a form of stealing, which you say you don't want to do.  He's had QC removed from an unofficial aggregator in the past, I think.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2016, 00:33 »

If itīs not explicitly allowed, you should assume it is forbidden.
For example it is allowed to post XKCD on other websites, as long as itīs non-profit and it is stated were the comic comes from. This is explicitly written on the XKCD-page. But there is no such text for QC.

You could post a link, as Zebediah and pwhodges allready have written. Or you could contact Jeph and ask him for permission. Those are the only legal ways I can think of.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up