THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What archetypal RPG role would you place the OC Cast in?  (Read 5949 times)

Hideka_Valheim

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

• Faye - Berserker
  • Dora - Necromancer
  • Momo - White Mage
  • Bubbles - Knight
  • Sven - Bard (kind of obvious...)
  • Marigold - Warrior
  • Dale - Rogue
  • Claire - Scholar
  • Steve - Agent
  • Veronica Reed - (man)Beast-mistress
  • Penelope - ???
  • Marten - ??? (not really sure what Indie guy would translate to)
  • Hannelore - ??? (id say whitemage but blood would just make her panic attack...)
  • Pintsize - ???
  • May - ???
  • Emily - ???
  • Tai - ???

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Marten has appeared as bard in certain one-offs and/or guest strips iirc. In the case of Hanners, she seems too natural at it to be a mage, maybe sorcerer? Enchantress?

Tai is definitely a Rogue.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Hideka_Valheim

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Marten has appeared as bard in certain one-offs and/or guest strips iirc. In the case of Hanners, she seems too natural at it to be a mage, maybe sorcerer? Enchantress?

Tai is definitely a Rogue.

Maybe Hanners could be a Chemist? instead of throwing potions, she throws vials of bleach and cleaner >_>

dale is already the rogue of the group, and i didnt want to double down.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Pintsize is clearly the Jester of the group. People groan and roll their eyes at him all the time, and he makes himself the punching bag to get his message across quietly. Nobody takes him seriously, but he gets people to think and act certain ways...

Emily would be a Chaos Mage. duh. It's Emily. Penelope probably a Paladin or Cavalier. Someone way to serious and Lawful for the rest of the party, but feels she needs to stick by them.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Emily would be a Chaos Elf
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Lines

• Awakened

Pintsize is definitely a warlock. Emily is a wild magic sorcerer. Martin is a bard. I can see Penelope being a paladin. Hannelore is a wizard, because I can see her locking herself in a tower full of books to learn all of the cleaning spells. ALL OF THEM.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I played Traveller, so none of the above apply. In D&D stereotype terms Hanners would surely be a Cleric, channelling healing and buffs, but also "cleaning" zombies, animated skeletons, liches etc.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Would this mean that Blinding Light is just super-powerful detergent?
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I played Traveller

ohmygosh we have so much in common!

Seriously though, I thought Traveller was fairly obscure and noone else was playing it. To have a person on this very forum who also played it kinda floors me.

In Traveller terms, Veronica would very obviously be a Noble (or is it called Socialite in English?)

In D&D terms, Clinton would be an Alchemist (remember how he lost his hand?)
Why is Marigold a Warrior, though?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

How he lost his hand? Something something withered claw?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Seriously though, I thought Traveller was fairly obscure and noone else was playing it.
Well, although Traveller has been around almost as long, and is still supported by new rule editions and supplementary materials, it certainly isn't as popular as D&D, and has never established popular-culture tropes in the same way. The fact that Traveller doesn't really have character-classes, and their attendant stereotypes, is probably one of the reasons that the popular image of "a bunch of geeks sitting round a table playing an RPG" pretty much revolves around fantasy-RPG themes established by D&D, rather than SF games.

In a Traveller game, the QC characters could simply be doing whatever they are doing in the comic, but in THE FUTURE and probably IN SPACE. Faye wouldn't be "a berserker", for example, but a mechanic working on power-loader mechs at the downport (possibly moonlighting in illegal mech-MMA, smuggling etc.). If you wanted something a bit less mundane, how about Dora as a free-trader skipper, with Tai as her pilot, and Faye as ship's engineer? Steve would be an Imperial agent; Veronica a very high-class courtesan turned madame; Hannelore might be a patron, backing archivist Claire who's translated something in a ancient alien inscription. Cosette would die in chargen. Repeatedly.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Marten - Human; Bard - Pawn of the Higher Powers; basically, I see Marten as being the sort of quest-driving character who always finds the map to the dungeon that someone left in his room in the inn or gets a Mystic McGuffin of Power dropped in his hat as payment when he's busking in the town square. Lawful-Neutral
Pintsize - Halfling; Rogue - Marten's long-term travelling partner and headache who is always getting them thrown out of towns either for thievery or propositioning the baron's virginal daughter. Is a lot smarter than he acts. Chaotic-Good
Steve - Human; Fighter - Freelancer who has done lots of dangerous missions for the local overlord/king. Lawful-Neutral
Faye - Human; Barbarian - Warrior with secondary skill-set in equipment maintenance. Chaotic-Good
Dora - Human; Merchant - Travelling treasure-hunter with a dark past and serious angst issues - True Neutral
Hannelore - Human; Cleric - The somewhat-unworldly daughter of the Grandmaster of the Guild of Mages and the local Black Queen who is always trying to help people and control her huge Dark Side (Human; Berserker; Chaotic-Evil) inherited from her mother; mix of magery and merchant skills. Lawful-Good
Winslow - Imp; Hannelore's NPC familiar; a gift from her father. Lawful-Good
Marigold - Ork; Fighter - Wannabe Barbarian who's actually a cobbler's daughter. Chaotic-Neutral
Momo - Green Elf; Ranger - Marigold's old chum, travelling companion and thinking-brain sidekick; skill with fire/electric-based spells. Neutral-Good
Claire - Human; Mage - Apprentice Mage/Scholar in the concluding part of her studies. Lawful-Neutral
May - Dark Elf; Rogue - A career thief with a heart of gold and a potty mouth. Chaotic-Neutral
Bubbles - Human; Paladin - Blessed warrior of the Weld, God of Craftsmen; from the 'emotionally distant repentant atoner' school of White Knights. Lawful-Good
Dale - Human, Fighter - Another wannabe; not brilliant but honest-hearted and makes up for lack of skill in enthusiasm and determination; tries to fake 'Lawful-Evil' but can't. Lawful-Good

Notes on Hannelore - Turning her into a sort of 'Jekyll and Hyde/The Incredible Hulk' character seems a way to work in her psychological issues. She doesn't like being touched, disorder and dirt for fear that it will trigger Dark Hanners and her bloodstained shovel to come to the surface. Character background should include the very public murder of a townswoman known as Juicy and some workmen; Queen B wasn't able to cover it up and the degree of horror felt by the people of her hometown led Hanners to go into effective exile. She initially stalked Marten, Pintsize, Steve and Faye for some time before formally joining the travelling party.

Hannelore is a priestess in the cult of Virga, the Goddess of Purity, which also drives some of her hands-off behaviour. Priests of Virgia aren't required to be chaste but the cult's requirements of being strictly clean at all times makes having any kind of relationship difficult to say the lest.

Other Major NPCs:
John the Wise (Dr Elicott-Chatham) - Legendary-level mage;
Citadel (Station) - John the Wise's familiar/summoned spirit aide;
Queen Beatrice (Beatrice Chatham) - vile but incredibly successful queen (very, very Lawful-Evil);
Vespavenger - Human fighter; currently serving out a 'prison sentence' as Queen B's personal and deniable enforcer; Neutral-Evil;
Veronica Vance (Veronica Reed) - Marten's mother; High level rogue and courtesan who is now semi-retired;
Jolly Tai (Tai Hubbard) the librarian at the local branch of the Mage's Guild as well as Claire, Emalai and Clinton's tutor in the Arts. Employs Marten and Momo as a combination of security and lackeys to do the stuff she can't be bothered to do; another quest driver thanks to the interminable errands she keeps throwing at her lackeys employees;
Emilai the Chaotic (Emily Azuma) - White Elf summoner & mystical artificer, schoolmate of Claire's and general chaos driver;
Clinton - Human apprentice mage, Claire's younger brother and Emilai's... well, no-one is really sure about that;
Jim Bean - Human merchant; owner of base town's main inn, Samantha's father (as well as Marten's potential future stepfather) and a 'competitor' of Dora's; also owns hall of residence and livery stable as well as having shares in the local craftsmen's shops so he's a significant figure with whom to do business when you're starting a quest; swap Dora for Claire in the primary party and he may hire the party to do some fetch-and-carry or enforcement work;
Samantha - Innkeeper's daughter living in the team's base town and another quest driver (she's the one who tells our PCs about the mysterious figures hanging around town or the strange conversation she heard in her father's inn);
Padma Two-Fist - Human fighter and a former lover of Marten's; useful NPC to put in a Town Guard if you want to give the PCs mixed feelings about breaking and entering.
Cossette - Clumsy bar-wench at the base town inn and Steve's lover; yet another 'You'll never guess what I saw yesterday' quest driver.

Suggested Default Party:
Marten, Pintsize, Steve, Faye, Hannelore; Dora - With Dora as the boss (she hired everyone to help her find some treasure);
Marigold, Momo, Claire, May, Bubbles, Dale - Wannabe/student team if you want a comedy campaign;
Swap Pintsize for Claire if you want to put her in the main team; Pintsize would fit in very easily with the 'accidental chaos' theme of the B-team.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2016, 08:16 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: [1]   Go Up