THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

April Fool Friday! How Will Jeph Prank Us?

QC is going biweekly and Allice Grove is to become daily!
Pintsize finds (AI) religion!
Yelling Bird returns to announce the cancellation of QC!
Marigold IS pregnant...with Hannelore!
Dora sells CoD to Jim!
Hannelore IS Beatrice's clone!
Marten and Claire sign up for Mars One!
Multi-character off-panel carnality because the strip is ending!
Someone gives Pintsize espresso

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3186 to 3190 (28th March to 1st April 2016)  (Read 35902 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: WCDT Strips 3186 to 3190 (28th March to 1st April 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 29 Mar 2016, 15:34 »

At this rate it should be late April when the first of Hanners Roasted Coffee Beans are done.

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #51 on: 29 Mar 2016, 15:49 »

So like 2019 our time?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #52 on: 29 Mar 2016, 16:28 »

I don't see earning enough cash to get by while working in an unfulfilling job and not doing anythong about getting a fulfilling job as particularly happinees affirming. Surrounded yourself with similar people mey help you get by, but you still are going to wonder what the hell happened when you are 40, in a dead end job, lice in a shared home with nothing, no accomplishments, no family, no job, to show for it.

Lack of (or attempting to find) direction and ambition is a long-running theme of QC. So I do actually think this is a reasonable enough concern, but I do have a few quibbles with your examples.

But most of them aren't particularly happy.
Faye's job is dodgy as hell and her boss sucks.

Faye's move was the best one I've seen in the history of the comic. She's learning a trade in a craft she loves and in which she possesses obvious talent. Yeah, her boss sucks, but her immediate superior and her work she loves. She won't go down as the very first talented person who had to endure a crappy boss in order to learn to ply her craft.

Marten does not want to be a librarian.

He is the one clear example of what you are bringing up. You could fill a book with this forum's previous discussion of Marten's lack of ambition. But I thought he was pretty content, actually. As others have pointed out, not everyone has huge career ambitions. Claire does, of course.

Penelope wants to work in publishing, but is doing nothing about it.

Do we know that?

Will is a bar man, but does nothing about being a published poet.

Again - I don't think we know that. Actually, working in a bar could be the ideal job for a poet. Plenty of raw material available there. I can certainly imagine him being happy enough working there.

Long story short (too late) - I don't think you've quite adequately supported your assertion that "most of them aren't particularly happy."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #53 on: 29 Mar 2016, 17:26 »

Other QC characters also have things that they want to achieve in life, which are quite important, but still matter.  Hanners most likely has access to more money than Bill Gates, but she just wants to be able to cope with her anxieties.  Speaking as someone who has to deal with the anxiety thing (no billions, sadly), it's a major struggle.  Momo wants to be treated as a person, and not an artificial person.  Claire not only wants to be a librarian, but also to be treated just as any other young woman. 

When it comes to success, Jeph seems to be going with what brings one happiness, not something that is easily quantified.  Sven seems to have no problems at all, but is increasingly hating his shallow existence. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #54 on: 29 Mar 2016, 18:02 »

As my father likes to say "so what if you aren't happy and hate your job? No one is happy, and you're lucky you have a job at all." Paraphrasing, but it's true. No person trying to provide for themselves is pathetic. That includes you, person on government assistance doing their damnedest to find work or improve skills or just getting up everyday, doing what you can!

Define "accomplishments." Not everyone finds fulfillment in a large bank account or kids. Hanners and Faye are working on some mental issues. How far they have come is an achievement, to me. Wil and Penelope have founded a pretty strong relationship and have overcome a number of personal difficulties and personality clashes. And Penelope is an assistant manager, which is a perfectly respectable thing to be. Maybe they will be forty and wonder what happened. Or maybe they will turn forty and think they did pretty alright.

« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2016, 18:13 by War Sparrow »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #55 on: 29 Mar 2016, 18:06 »

or a pack of brats.
I just realized I've now been in Wisconsin for too long, because what my mind read that as is probably not what you meant.  :clairedoge:

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #56 on: 29 Mar 2016, 18:13 »

I realized it just now, ya. I will change it for politeness, but it is an amusing mental image.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #57 on: 29 Mar 2016, 18:13 »

Nah, don't change it. I prefer it that way.  :-D

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #58 on: 29 Mar 2016, 18:54 »

Cartoon!  Wolf urine!  Claire gets one on Pintsize!  Exclamation point!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #59 on: 29 Mar 2016, 18:57 »

It's not Granny's lemonade, that's for sure.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #60 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:04 »

Better wolf pee than worf pee.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #61 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:13 »

By the way, as a card-carrying member of the post-forty crowd, I would like to point out that it is not too late at the age of forty to send your life in a new direction. Not even close. The world has seen many late bloomers, and some people simply take longer than others to find their life goals.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #62 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:13 »

Do we know that?

Here's the strip where Pennelope talks about it:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1649
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #63 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:14 »

Hannelore’s big fear in the basement

I've never heard that particular song, but it turns out they're the same group that did "Don't Let the Rain Come Down". Wow, I haven't heard that song since I was a kid in the '60s, but I remembered it surprisingly well -- even the way they pronounce "drown" as a 2-syllable word.  8-)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #64 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:16 »

Aaaand that's how you shut down a Pintsize prank and a really dogged effort by Claire to do so.
Heh
 :clairedoge:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #65 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:18 »

Do we know that?

Here's the strip where Pennelope talks about it:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1649

I knew I was just asking for someone with archive-fu to demonstrate their prowess.  :lol:

So, that is likely to still be the case. That was a long time ago, though, so it's vaguely possible that something has changed.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #66 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:21 »

In the end "life goals" and "accomplishments" are meaningless, the same fate awaits us all. What matters is if you enjoyed the journey. All the money, so-called success, and legacies in the world count for nothing. Enjoy what time you have. And don't judge other people for how they choose to live thier lives if they aren't hurting anyone.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #67 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:27 »

In the end "life goals" and "accomplishments" are meaningless, the same fate awaits us all. What matters is if you enjoyed the journey. All the money, so-called success, and legacies in the world count for nothing. Enjoy what time you have. And don't judge other people for how they choose to live thier lives if they aren't hurting anyone.

The goal is the destination of the journey, and thus is far from meaningless when it fundamentally affects where the journey takes you.

Of course the journey is what counts, but that doesn't preclude setting goals.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #68 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:30 »

Wait, is this the first time we've seen Claire with an off the neck updo? I don't think I'm a fan.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Fen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Pregrinating flâneur
    • Blog!
« Reply #69 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:30 »

While eonjoyin Hanners discomfort something struck me: The complete lack of ambition amongst people in the QC-verse. Outside of Dora, a succesful Businesswoman, the only one who seemed to accomplish anything, Angus, was shipped of to Mandyville. While in my 20s I wasn't surrounded by the most dynamic of people, they mostly had worthwhile goals and were striving towards them. Allowing those still in college a pass, the rest are absolutley pathetic. Fun, adorablem, enetertaining, but pathetic. they will end up in their 40s, still working minimum wage, sharing shitty flats/apartments and not having a clue what happened.

The thing that I realised reading this webcomic for (oh my god) 12 years is that not only does Jeph's stance change, but also that of his demographic. At first, sure, the point was to look at some hipsters having a good time after work, with some quirky sense of humour and hijings on top. But then Faye started getting called a bitch, and not in a good way (I used to look up to Faye so much when I was 14; looking back, it was not my smartest social move... but I needed about 5-6 years for that epitome). Marten started getting called out for his passive nature. Faye and Angus had the career talk, etc. Momo came along and replaced the 'casually running around' robots with issues related to cyberrights. The fact that they are kind of at a pathetic place is totally a theme of this comic. And a bit of social commentary :P
Think about it, when the characters were made, jeph was working a shitty job and drawing the comics as stress-relief. Then he actually started working like crazy on his (then) hobby and turned it into a job where he gets to display his work to millions of global readers. That's pretty damned badass, but time passes faster IRL than in the QCverse. To boot, the people reading this comic are also growing up, so the way that people read it also changes how their actions are perceived.

Basically, yeah, they are kind of pathetic. But that is one of the underlying themes in the comic. And, as other posters have stated, the small narrative of the character's personal fulfillment is also important; it's why Sven is miserable but Dale is feeling great.
(as for Penelope, remember that she used to work in a library and thus was on course for her dream, but she had problems with her manager. She would like to work in publishing but it's a field that's pretty hard to get into, and involves spending your first 5-10 years in a pretty poor position... the need for the realisation that some dreams are maybe not worth pursuing is, I think, pretty important for us millenials)

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #70 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:47 »

Wait, is this the first time we've seen Claire with an off the neck updo? I don't think I'm a fan.
Her first appearance looks pretty much like an off-the-neck updo?

She was also sporting it back in the late 2700s. (or is that just a ponytail?)

I think the main difference is that she's somehow figured out how to tame that jagged floof that usually hangs out over her right eye.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #71 on: 29 Mar 2016, 19:48 »

The goal is the destination of the journey, and thus is far from meaningless when it fundamentally affects where the journey takes you.

Of course the journey is what counts, but that doesn't preclude setting goals.
My point is, decrying someone's lack of accomplishments or direction is stupid if that person is satisfied and happy. Yes, for some people having a goal and pursuing it is a source of happiness and fulfillment, and more power to them, but it's not true for everyone. The goals and accomplishments themselves are meaningless, which isn't to say they don't have an effect. The destination of the journey is the same for everyone.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 29 Mar 2016, 20:03 »

I think I understand what you're saying, and I agree that different people get entirely different things out of life, so one shouldn't look down on someone else's values.

I guess I was provoked into replying because saying that goals and accomplishments are meaningless because we all die in the end is disturbingly nihilistic. I can only assume that you meant to say that goals and accomplishments are meaningless to you personally. Obviously not to everyone. This is the flip side of what you've already said.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #73 on: 29 Mar 2016, 20:19 »

Later that day, after sending several long emails further dissecting the "prank," Claire returns home with a jar labeled "Wolf Urine," walks up to Pintsize, sets it on the couch beside him (while maintaining eye contact throughout), and walks away without a word.

Pintsize never bothers Claire again.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #74 on: 29 Mar 2016, 20:22 »

Her first appearance looks pretty much like an off-the-neck updo?

She was also sporting it back in the late 2700s. (or is that just a ponytail?)

I think the main difference is that she's somehow figured out how to tame that jagged floof that usually hangs out over her right eye.

I think each of those was a high ponytail, this however looks like a poof sticking out of the back of her head.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #75 on: 29 Mar 2016, 20:38 »

All I can think of is, Claire and Hannelore joining forces -- attention to detail and a wicked, wocked sense of humor -- woukd probable create the Future Evil Hannelore QC has taught us to gleefully anticipate fear.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #76 on: 29 Mar 2016, 20:49 »

Aaaaand Claire once again demonstrates why she's my favorite character  :-D
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #77 on: 29 Mar 2016, 21:02 »

Claire seems to be channeling Faz here. Anyone else would have used Pintsize to make a new dent in the drywall.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #78 on: 29 Mar 2016, 21:23 »

I guess I was provoked into replying because saying that goals and accomplishments are meaningless because we all die in the end is disturbingly nihilistic.
To be fair, I am a nihilist. Among other things.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 29 Mar 2016, 21:30 »

Well, that would explain it. Carry on. 8-)

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #80 on: 29 Mar 2016, 21:42 »

Claire is busting Pintsize's balls.

I'm quite certain there's a joke or two in there, but I'm equally certain that if I make any of them, I'll be banned.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #81 on: 29 Mar 2016, 22:42 »

*somewhere at the National Folical Agency, an alert sound has been triggered. The computer attendant checks the data and, his face slowly turning pale, rechecks it. The supervisor is called over.*

"Ma'am, it's as you predicted. Claire's hair has moved from Category 2 to Category 3 floofiness."

"I see. If the enfloofification continues at this rate, the conseques for the rest of QC cast could be catastrophic."

"What would the timeline be?"

"By the end of Day 1, it fills the apartment. Day Four, the building. In two weeks, the entire QC universe will be drowned under a sea of fluffy red hair."

"Mother of God..."

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #82 on: 29 Mar 2016, 23:02 »

Claire just dragged Pintsize's attempt through the dirt, and she did it with a smile. I love it. nowifonlyshewouldgetridofthosehorridplugsandthebullringpiercing

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #83 on: 29 Mar 2016, 23:41 »

I have only one thing to say to Pintsize right now: "Brother, with her, you're going to have to seriously up your game...

"If you can!"

What blows my mind is the amount of effort Claire put into this. Just doing the visual aid was probably a couple of hours' work all in itself! I'm supposing that she's one of those believers in "A pound of prevention is better than an ounce of cure". I think that the work may pay off, though. At this rate, Pintsize is going to start associating pranking Claire with such traumatic experiences that he'll develop a phobic response to them!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #84 on: 29 Mar 2016, 23:46 »

Later that day, after sending several long emails further dissecting the "prank," Claire returns home with a jar labeled "Wolf Urine," walks up to Pintsize, sets it on the couch beside him (while maintaining eye contact throughout), and walks away without a word.

Several long emails? Hah.

More like 2 seconds on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Pee-Urine-Trigger-Bottle/dp/B01AL5GZV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1459320080&sr=8-4&keywords=wolf+urine

Best part would be waiting for it to arrive, Pintsize would've forgotten about it by then. :evil:
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #85 on: 30 Mar 2016, 02:49 »

I like how she references Freud in her presentation.
Francisco

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #86 on: 30 Mar 2016, 09:29 »

Stay away from my rug. It really ties the room together.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #87 on: 30 Mar 2016, 09:40 »

Stay away from my rug. It really ties the room together.
The nihilists didn't soil the rug, Wu did, he worked for Jackie Treehorn. The nihilists had the marmet. Besides, I'm housebroken.
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #88 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:43 »

You're good at breaking houses?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #89 on: 30 Mar 2016, 11:59 »

I have many talents.
@syleegrrl

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #90 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:44 »

This explains soo much about Claire, so much. On the one hand - we're back to wall-o-text-comics! Has an early-QC-feel to it, now that we're talking history. On the other, if all that it takes to have a productive conversation with Claire is to agree with her it explains why Marten and her are still lovey-dovey with each other after months (?).

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #91 on: 30 Mar 2016, 16:21 »

Aaand Pintsize is shut down and we all learn the Claire has learned how to deal with the bugger
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #92 on: 30 Mar 2016, 16:23 »

It's interesting to see a completely confident Claire. (It suits her well, I'd say.)

Would I be wrong in saying that it feels like Marten's apartment, at least when Faye isn't around, is now her territory - and possibly the first time she's really had something she could treat as "her territory"? Especially considering Marten's passivity (sure, he took the lead early in their relationship, but ultimately he's still Marten), and Pintsize's fear of her, and both of their acceptance of her with the knowledge that she's trans?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #93 on: 30 Mar 2016, 21:53 »

Then there's a bunch of people whose last words were "Here, hold my beer, watch this...".
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #94 on: 30 Mar 2016, 23:36 »

Now I think that we are getting an insight into the origins of Hannelore's neuroses: She spent too much time in her dad's laboratory as a girl. There is nothing better for teaching a child to be afraid of everything than to be in an environment where everything is potentially lethal! After being told "Don't touch that! It's dangerous!" enough times, she just got into the habit of preemptive fear!

The unanticipated downside of being the child of a mad scientist!

Would I be wrong in saying that it feels like Marten's apartment, at least when Faye isn't around, is now her territory - and possibly the first time she's really had something she could treat as "her territory"?

She's certainly the Beta in the pride, I think.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2016, 23:43 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #95 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:09 »

What's that large pink bubble in the basement above their heads?

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #96 on: 31 Mar 2016, 01:54 »

It's the Shame Orb! Or more likely just a strange-looking fixture.
What do you know about Pokémon?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #97 on: 31 Mar 2016, 06:33 »

The cocoon in which Sara's slowly-dissolving corpse is kept while Dora feeds on it.

Actually, it's probably just some sagging Owens-Corning Fiberglas insulation, but what's the fun in that?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #98 on: 31 Mar 2016, 06:36 »

I also figured it was insulation, but Hanners would freak if insulation were hanging from the ceiling right above the coffee roaster.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #99 on: 31 Mar 2016, 06:47 »

It's the Shame Orb! Or more likely just a strange-looking fixture.

Probably a lawn umbrella to keep the spiders out of the bean hopper.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up