THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What We Were Not Meant to Know - Your QC brain-bleach trigger

The secret to the unique taste of CoD's coffee is very possibly spider droppings and dead bugs
Momo actually considers May her friend
Faye likes to imagine Bubbles in different get-ups
No-one knows what Marten, Hannelore and Faye's landlord looks like; it could be JUICY!
Steve may be the most normal character in the strip
Marigold discusses her sex life with Hannelore in quite disturbing detail
Claire has the sort of mind that Pintsize fears
Sven and Hannelore may be the most healthy and normal friendships that the other has ever had

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3191-3195 (4th to 8th April 2016)  (Read 57524 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT Strips 3191-3195 (4th to 8th April 2016)
« on: 03 Apr 2016, 12:24 »

Yeah, it's a dry week so I tried to list some of the oddest and most disturbing thoughts that have occurred to me whilst reading the strip (whist maintaining a strict NSFW and shipping filter).

What could happen next in the strip? Jeph seems to have  three foci right now:
  • Hannelore's training in new duties;
  • Claire's becoming a regular fixture at the apartment;
  • The evolution of Bubbles as a character.
So, I imagine that the next arc will probably be from one of these three basic themes. FWIW, I've already explained what I'd like to happen next with Bubbles.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
Re: WCDT Strips 3191-3195 (4th to 8th April 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2016, 19:56 »

Holy handprint, Emily!

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2016, 20:00 »

I'm just wondering how the government keeps finding out about all these Emily-created threats to national security just after the fact. Could it be someone's a mole? I nominate Pintsize; his clownish antics would be a perfect cover.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2016, 21:00 »

Emily apparently got away with it this time. I hope.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2016, 21:25 »

I'm just wondering how the government keeps finding out about all these Emily-created threats to national security just after the fact. Could it be someone's a mole? I nominate Pintsize; his clownish antics would be a perfect cover.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2016, 21:32 »

I do hope Emily is eccentric enough that people actually BELIEVE she's being crazy with these things instead of telling the truth and narrowly catching herself
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2016, 21:59 »

Her professor informed on her http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3180
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2016, 22:16 »

To be fair, she *did* nearly summon Cthulhu, so there is a solid reason to keep up on her activities.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2016, 23:13 »

That self slap...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2016, 23:15 »

Poor little Emily! An innocent abroad in a world where the nice things that she tries to do for people are considered threats to national security! Bless her that she'll never understand why; she just plays along with the game that the silly, stern men in cheap suits are playing. Sweet-natured girl that she is, this situation will never entirely make sense to her!

Based on their previous interactions to date, Bubbles has good reason to worry if Emily may be an accidental self-harming risk! Worse, Emily doesn't even seem to be aware that she's being injured sometimes (or, at least, that this is a cause for concern)!
~~~~

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #10 on: 04 Apr 2016, 05:36 »

I wonder if Emily may have congenital analgesia...

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #11 on: 04 Apr 2016, 05:59 »

"No, no. It's an analgesic. The pills go in your mouth."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 04 Apr 2016, 06:20 »

I think that bhtooefr is asking if Emily may have reduced or even absent pain sense. I don't think so; people with that condition tend to be a bit of a mess because of little scrapes and scratches that they never notice and get infected.

I just think that she has a mental 'threshold' of pain and/or injury beneath which she just doesn't bother worrying about. That's why she didn't panic about the snake: She knew that she wasn't in danger from venom so the pain was just a data point to be dealt with later on. That Marten was cutely chivalrous for her as a result of the injury was a bonus.

I suppose it is a bit worrying for Emily's friends. After all, if she assesses any pain beneath a certain threshold of possible harm as irrelevant, she could do some pretty alarming stuff to herself on the grounds that repairing herself afterwards is fairly trivial. The rubber mallet incident comes to mind. Or possibly: "Fingernails grow back and I hate messed-up manicures."
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2016, 07:04 by BenRG »
~~~~

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #13 on: 04 Apr 2016, 09:33 »

Also, what could it possibly be, that allows the government to step in to classify something that someone independently develops that's "too similar" to it? The only stuff that's born secret in real life is nuclear weapons technology.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #14 on: 04 Apr 2016, 10:16 »

National security holds on patents have been around for a while.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #15 on: 04 Apr 2016, 13:39 »

I just think that she has a mental 'threshold' of pain and/or injury beneath which she just doesn't bother worrying about.
This is pretty much how I am. I have built up a remarkably high pain tolerance over the years. Pain is useful, but unless it exceeds a threshold that suggests critical damage, it isn't much to be bothered by.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

President Peaches

• Plantmonster
  • Professional snarky college student
« Reply #16 on: 04 Apr 2016, 14:21 »

My thoughts when I had heart problems and was scrambling for my phone to call an ambulance were basically a calm self-diagnosis and annoyance.

The time my dad infarct'd out he just drove himself to the hospital and managed to point the pocket with his ID to the person at the front desk before collapsing.

The several times my grandfather fell off his house roof in a misguided attempt to fix a perceived defect he just got back up, had a beer, then took a nap, until he impaled himself on the fence. After that he stopped climbing on the roof and said that the stitches were unpleasant.

Clearly there is some hereditary pain treshold nonsense on my dad's side.
I don't know which I hate the most. Pugs or children?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 04 Apr 2016, 15:04 »

I hope the NSA's hidden mikes didn't catch that near slip.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #18 on: 04 Apr 2016, 15:38 »

The time my dad infarct'd out he just drove himself to the hospital and managed to point the pocket with his ID to the person at the front desk before collapsing.

A tough man, got to respect that, but it's a mistake to drive yourself if it's something that might make you pass out. Same with anaphylaxis -- if you stop breathing, would you rather be behind the wheel, or lying down with an EMT watching you?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

President Peaches

• Plantmonster
« Reply #19 on: 04 Apr 2016, 16:12 »

A tough man, got to respect that, but it's a mistake to drive yourself if it's something that might make you pass out. Same with anaphylaxis -- if you stop breathing, would you rather be behind the wheel, or lying down with an EMT watching you?

Well, he thought it was just a chronic stomach problem he had back then going quite bad and only started sweating profusely and getting dizzy near the hospital. On the plus side his heart didn't have time to take permanent damage before a stent was installed. I made sure to explain how much damage a Chevy Silverado modified for logging work can cause in a city if the driver falls unconscious with his foot on the accelerator. It's easily several million dollars.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #20 on: 04 Apr 2016, 17:23 »

I'm glad he is okay now.  Is your father a farmdad? He sounds familiar. My father crushed his ankle feeding/milking his friend's cows. He finished what he was doing, then drove himself home. Then my sister took him to the hospital. He then whined for two weeks about how he had stuff to do! How he was fine!

Then he got pneumonia and a bladder infection, and the complaining about how he was behind really racked up.

Why do you hate pugs, Peaches? Do you hate joy, somehow?

President Peaches

• Plantmonster
« Reply #21 on: 04 Apr 2016, 17:35 »

Although my dad grew up in a farming/logging community he spent 30 years in the navy to avoid spending his life in a boring village. He's a few flavours of badass and immortal.

Dogs, with the exceptions of a few breeds, are basically defective wolves. Pugs, with their inability to breathe properly, facial bone issues, maintenance requirements (cleaning their face folds to prevent infection), and such, are basically defective dogs, which is really defective. By my standards they're at the point where euthanasia is the merciful choice. Try playing with a husky, qimmiq, keeshond, or shiba inu instead.

Edit: Actually be careful if you play with a qimmiq, they're great for hunting polar bears.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #22 on: 04 Apr 2016, 17:39 »

What's your take on malamutes?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

President Peaches

• Plantmonster
« Reply #23 on: 04 Apr 2016, 17:48 »

Malamutes are good. Basically any dog that is on the wolfish end of the spectrum and is fully functional is good.

I'm more of a cat person, however. The average housecat is elegant, sleek, graceful, and self-cleaning. It is also a highly efficient and stealthy killing machine, and almost all cats show quite clearly that they are basically a less omnicidal version of the african wildcat and demand only worship, food, and cuddles from sub-feline shaved apes.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #24 on: 04 Apr 2016, 18:06 »

Not that much less omnicidal.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #25 on: 04 Apr 2016, 18:15 »

Oh, I grew up with "real" dogs-a freind of mine has a wolfdog hybrid, it was all rotties and shepherds and collies growing up. I wouldn't consider any dog breed bred with a purpose defective though. The dacshund was made to burrow, the collie to herd. Provided the gene pool is deep, anyway. Of course, I'm a sucker for critters in general.

The domestic cat is one of the worst things to happen to songbirds, because cats kill for fun. My cat stays inside dmfor that reason..of course, he is awful at being a cat, so birds have nothing to fear from him.

President Peaches

• Plantmonster
« Reply #26 on: 04 Apr 2016, 18:18 »

Housecats sometimes give you a warning before mauling you, and a bell collar will usually sort out the mass-murder issues.

Then again I remember the time one of my cousins put his overweight lazy cat-like pillow (because she could actually be used as a pillow and didn't care) on a diet. She didn't lose weight but feathers and bird bone fragments started appearing all over the place. No one ever saw her move quickly.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #27 on: 04 Apr 2016, 18:19 »

Depends on the cat. One of the house cats here is a serial animal murderer and always takes great pride to display his kills for us. When he's not hiding them for us to find a few months down the road...

President Peaches

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 04 Apr 2016, 18:21 »

And I have a friend with two cats and a few birds. The birds are often free in the apartment and the cats don't react to the flappy squawk-squawk things fying around.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #29 on: 04 Apr 2016, 18:25 »

Perhaps they don't perceive the birds as prey, because they are in their home? I have never considered whether that would make a difference.

Maybe Jeph will feature Meiville again, and didn't Sven have a white cat named Princess or something? Kitty playdate where Sven and Dora rebond could be heartwarming.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #30 on: 04 Apr 2016, 18:38 »

Kitty playdate? Mieville and Princess would probably spend the first twenty minutes hissing at each other and the rest of the time ostentatiously ignoring each other.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #31 on: 04 Apr 2016, 19:13 »

Depends on the cat. One of the house cats here is a serial animal murderer and always takes great pride to display his kills for us. When he's not hiding them for us to find a few months down the road...

A friend of mine has eight cats under her care. They're pretty much exclusively indoor cats (there's an enclosed patio where they can lounge in the fresh air, and the oldest gets regular walks in the yard), and they've been raised around other animals for years.

The result being that a degu can get loose and jump into their food bowl, and the cats will just stare confused at them. But every bug that wanders into view is destined to be consumed.

In my household, on the other hand, our bird and squirrel feeders have attracted a lot of small creatures, and their activity has attracted a black and white cat who loves to chase them. The squirrels seem to love the chase, and will actually look back and chitter if he stops. The birds, not so much. He's killed a couple, but he hasn't eaten any that we can tell.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #32 on: 04 Apr 2016, 19:42 »

Yay Harriet!

And I'm pretty sure the freak was that chick(?) with the bad dye job.

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #33 on: 04 Apr 2016, 19:49 »

As sad as it is, you'll be surprised how many scifi tropes or cliques actually exist already, and in the comic, would only be more so.... Just the other day someone legitimately said if there was ONE microbe on Mars, or Venus, we should not settle there, because apparently we have no right to interfere, or some silly bull like that. And discrimination against Cyborgs is already a thing - some can go securely far placing it as an extension of discrimination against disabilities and - I can only imagine that discrimination and hate towards sapient AI walking around would be, too, especially if there's a lot of angry workers and unemployment issues laying about for a politician or a group to tack onto the AI, and so on and so on.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #34 on: 04 Apr 2016, 19:51 »

A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #35 on: 04 Apr 2016, 19:59 »

Comic.  Bubbles unfortunately passes by creeps, although I'm not sure whether the girl with dyed hair is actually anti-AI.  And is that Sweet Tits in the first panel?

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #36 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:04 »

Comic.  Bubbles unfortunately passes by creeps, although I'm not sure whether the girl with dyed hair is actually anti-AI.  And is that Sweet Tits in the first panel?

We call her Harriet now.

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:05 »

It looks like -from their positioning and the speech bubbles thereof - that the guy not smoking said the worst, the guy smoking laughs along, while the girl wit the dyed hair was telling the discriminatory dude to shut up.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #38 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:12 »

It would be interesting if she came running after Bubbles to apologise for her friends, but I doubt Jeph is going to intro another female character right now.  More likely Corpse Witch will find out about this somehow and use it as another lever to manipulate Bubbles.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #39 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:16 »

As sad as it is, you'll be surprised how many scifi tropes or cliques actually exist already, and in the comic, would only be more so.... Just the other day someone legitimately said if there was ONE microbe on Mars, or Venus, we should not settle there, because apparently we have no right to interfere, or some silly bull like that. And discrimination against Cyborgs is already a thing - some can go securely far placing it as an extension of discrimination against disabilities and - I can only imagine that discrimination and hate towards sapient AI walking around would be, too, especially if there's a lot of angry workers and unemployment issues laying about for a politician or a group to tack onto the AI, and so on and so on.

I doubt we need to worry about microbes on Venus, as the surface is a lead-melting high pressure acidic hellhole. Mars is nearly airless, though once it had liquid water on the surface. If you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, part of it is the conflict between the "Red Mars" faction (who want to keep the place as much as possible as-is) and the "Green Mars" faction (full speed ahead with terraforming). We'll have to see if the issue ever comes up, since there's a whole lot of irradiated distance from Earth to Mars, and it's not clear we could get anybody there alive.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #40 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:21 »

It looks like -from their positioning and the speech bubbles thereof - that the guy not smoking said the worst, the guy smoking laughs along, while the girl wit the dyed hair was telling the discriminatory dude to shut up.

Someone should introduce them to May. She'd fit right in with them, and maybe convince them AI's are people too.

President Peaches

• Plantmonster
« Reply #41 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:22 »

Hey, as long as there are no cryptic messages like "ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS—EXCEPT EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE" being sent on all frequencies I assume it's safe to travel around.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #42 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:25 »

"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS—EXCEPT EARTH / ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE"
"But we're from Earth..."
"AWKWARD."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #43 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:26 »

Welcome, new person with bird and squirrel feeders!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #44 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:26 »

I doubt we need to worry about microbes on Venus, as the surface is a lead-melting high pressure acidic hellhole. Mars is nearly airless, though once it had liquid water on the surface. If you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, part of it is the conflict between the "Red Mars" faction (who want to keep the place as much as possible as-is) and the "Green Mars" faction (full speed ahead with terraforming). We'll have to see if the issue ever comes up, since there's a whole lot of irradiated distance from Earth to Mars, and it's not clear we could get anybody there alive.

Of course we can get anyone there alive. The radiation dosage is pitiful, and even in events such as solar flares there's a reason why 'storm cellars' are part of spacecraft concepts to get to Mars - protected rooms to bunker down in rad-flare ups.

The readings performed by the Curiosity rover on the way to Mars show that the astronauts would be exposed to a total of 1.8 milllisieverts per day, with surface levels being about 0.64 mSv per day. Assuming a 500 day surface stay and 360 days in space, the total radiation dose the crew would be exposed to is roughly 1.01 Sievert over the total duration of the trip. This is associated with a total death risk by cancer of... five percentage points. It would go up from 21% to 26%. The radiation limit for ESA astronauts is 1 Sievert, which means that ESA astronauts would be only barely out of the limit, even if provided only with the thin metal shielding on Curiosity. Only a relatively small amount of radiation protection would be required to get the mission dose under the acceptable limit. According to an ESA study from 2004, only 9 grams per square centimeter of radiation protection is required to get within the acceptable limit, which actually is no additional shielding at all for their habitat design. The NASA limit of 2/3rds of a Sv are more problematic, however.
From

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/2ok6zv/radiation_on_the_way_to_mars_and_why_it_isnt_such/

And that's with a long trip with barely new tech - Nuclear Thermal Rockets, VASIMIR, and Nuclear Gas Core Open Cycle rockets can decrease travel time to around 30, 40, 80 days either way, with all the radiation cutting - and needed food stores, water stores, and mental stress - that entitles. For some reason, the ESA didn't TOUCH electric or nuclear propulsion in their study, maybe for political and social reasons, but it's sadly self-castrating not to, but even so, Chemical rocketry and the technology is, apparently, well enough for the mission. Still, I'm pro-nuclear propulsion in space. All Chemical rocketry should do is help lift it up from here to there, and be discarded thereof on such journeys save for RCS needs.

As for the Mars trilogy - I know about it. The Red Mars faction was so cliche I could never get into it, though the whole universe he built up - and the book 2312* as well - was very illustrative, though in my own eyes very....optimistic. Expansion in a relative sense will occur, but every rock, every Laragarian point might very well stay empty, not to even begin with the genetic engineering, the fusion drives, the meta-nats, etc.* Of course, I'm biased towards space expansion in general, as you can possibly tell - It's hard for me to imagine anyone who would halt our species just on the offhand chance of another species existed. We've always expanded, we'll always continue to expand, until we drop dead as a species.

« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2016, 20:44 by danuis »

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #45 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:49 »

Unless I missed something, ST/Harriet and 'Recurring Redhead' are different characters.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #47 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:54 »

Friggin' jerk-ass teens :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #48 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:54 »

True, but I think Harriet would be more interested in a book about killing birds than caring for them.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #49 on: 04 Apr 2016, 20:55 »

She's reading the instructions so she can do exactly the opposite of what it suggests.  :-D

edit -- holy crap, I just realized that comic is from 5 years ago.  :psyduck:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up