THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 23:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where is Clinton Going from the Bar?

The drunk tank (because he can't hold even weak watered-down beer)
Bar Lady's Bedroom on an ill-advised Rebound
To Marten's place to tell off Claire some more (only to be punched by Faye)
On to become a part of the new adversary group started by Bar Lady
Back to Amhurst, where his roomie will give him lots of bad advice
Miss the bus and end up being picked up by some character for an unexpected adventure
Get drunk and Emily's is the only number Bar Lady can find on his 'phone to pick him up; consequences ensue
Inspired by Bar Lady's dismissive comments, he actually does something positive with his life!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3211 to 3215 (2nd to 6th May 2016)  (Read 55621 times)

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
Re: WCDT Strips 3211 to 3215 (2nd to 6th May 2016)
« Reply #250 on: 06 May 2016, 04:46 »

Do I detect a bit of 4th wall gamery about the last frame today?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #251 on: 06 May 2016, 05:00 »

Also, for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that it's not really a Windex martini, and that's just a joke about the color.
(And possibly - fact check me here, please? - a ref to drinks and food in TV/movies/advertising that aren't actually going to be consumed often actually being made of inedible material that photographs well?)

Ysobel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #252 on: 06 May 2016, 05:46 »

We've had a Windex drink (see Jeph's sub-comic comment) at Bubbles's party back in Strip #3071 (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3071).
There is also an existing cocktail with that name and appearance; it's vodka, lime, Blue curacao and triple sec. Or apparently gin, in the case of #3071.

Speaking of Cocktails, poor D.J. Barry  prob had one too many Blue Dolphin (v similar to Windex) ...
« Last Edit: 06 May 2016, 05:59 by Ysobel »

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #253 on: 06 May 2016, 06:16 »

The fact that Claire was expecting Emily to provide a response in the affirmative does not justify her actions.

It entirely justifies her actions.  The only person who feels wronged here is Clinton.  If Emily had said yes, Clinton would not feel wronged, and thus no wrong would have taken place.

So... recklessness is not, in general, a wrong, merely because the bad outcome wasn't guaranteed?

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #254 on: 06 May 2016, 06:17 »

Here ya go, a handy reference: http://www.completecocktails.com/DrinksByColor/BlueColoredDrinks.aspx

And in regard to other comic issues: I think that Clinton just learned a valuable lesson about ends vs. means. It's a lesson Claire learned a few comics ago. This is a valuable bit of self-discovery type information, we all benefit from learning just where we draw the line in actions that might get us an intended result.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #255 on: 06 May 2016, 07:16 »

The only thing I am sure Clinton just learned is what he is actually angry about. Whether he will forgive Claire is still yet to be seen.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #256 on: 06 May 2016, 08:18 »

"Not mad, just irritated." Irritation, however, gradually erodes tolerance.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #257 on: 06 May 2016, 08:53 »

We've had a Windex drink (see Jeph's sub-comic comment) at Bubbles's party back in Strip #3071 (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3071).
There is also an existing cocktail with that name and appearance; it's vodka, lime, Blue curacao and triple sec. Or apparently gin, in the case of #3071.

Speaking of Cocktails, poor D.J. Barry  prob had one too many Blue Dolphin (v similar to Windex) ...

http://mixthatdrink.com/windex-cocktail/
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

dilbert719

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #258 on: 06 May 2016, 10:10 »

Okay, let's all take a step back here, because  most of you seem to be missing the entire point of this strip.

It's not trying to say that Claire manipulating Clinton was right. It is simply Clinton realizing that that isn't what he's actually mad about. Period. End of story.

Yeah, Claire was still wrong to do so. But deep down, what really got under Clinton's skin is the rejection from Emily.

And that, friends, is all. Any additional meaning is supplied entirely by the mind of the reader.

That's the part that disappoints me about this entire storyline. Claire manipulating Clinton is what he (or, really, anyone in that situation, IMO) should be mad about, what the story so far made it look like he actually was mad about... and now it turns out that if Emily had said yes, Claire would never have been told not to manipulate people in the first place. I suppose, for the sake of Claire's character development, at least she did get called out on it, but now it's going to get walked back, at least some, because Clinton now feels that the problem wasn't the manipulation, but the fact that it didn't work.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS
« Reply #259 on: 06 May 2016, 12:38 »

Okay, let's all take a step back here, because  most of you seem to be missing the entire point of this strip.

It's not trying to say that Claire manipulating Clinton was right. It is simply Clinton realizing that that isn't what he's actually mad about. Period. End of story.

Yeah, Claire was still wrong to do so. But deep down, what really got under Clinton's skin is the rejection from Emily.

And that, friends, is all. Any additional meaning is supplied entirely by the mind of the reader.

That's the part that disappoints me about this entire storyline. Claire manipulating Clinton is what he (or, really, anyone in that situation, IMO) should be mad about, what the story so far made it look like he actually was mad about... and now it turns out that if Emily had said yes, Claire would never have been told not to manipulate people in the first place. I suppose, for the sake of Claire's character development, at least she did get called out on it, but now it's going to get walked back, at least some, because Clinton now feels that the problem wasn't the manipulation, but the fact that it didn't work.

This. The epiphany that Clinton seems to have had was, "If it had worked out, I wouldn't have been mad at Claire. Therefore, I shouldn't be mad at her, because she was just trying to help!" The epiphany I was hoping he'd have was, "If it had worked out, I wouldn't have been mad at Claire. I should be mad at her because she manipulated me, not because it went badly!"

Either way, Clinton should go home, sleep on it, and apologize to Claire for overreacting when he sees her tomorrow. However, there is a difference between "I got mad at you when I shouldn't" and "I overdid it, and I'm sorry, but I had a legitimate reason to be mad that we need to talk about."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #260 on: 06 May 2016, 12:44 »

The epiphany that Clinton seems to have had was, "If it had worked out, I wouldn't have been mad at Claire. Therefore, I shouldn't be mad at her, because she was just trying to help!" The epiphany I was hoping he'd have was, "If it had worked out, I wouldn't have been mad at Claire. I should be mad at her because she manipulated me, not because it went badly!"

I don't see anything that defines which epiphany Clinton has had; the forum happened to take it one way because of what it had been arguing about.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #261 on: 06 May 2016, 12:52 »

Given the context of the expression on Clinton's face and the recent conversations he has had, it can be easy for it to be construed as Clinton thinking "Hey, would I be angry if Emily had said yes?"

Which would be in line for his character as someone who doesn't really think things through or clearly, its clear that any potential backstep could lead to people getting somewhat annoyed.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #262 on: 06 May 2016, 14:00 »

Even if she had said yes, doesn't make Claire any less of an asshole.

Uh. Little bit much.

And a whole lot of subtext interpretation going on throughout this thread that seems to really be lacking in faith in our writer.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #263 on: 06 May 2016, 15:02 »

She's very good at her job
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #264 on: 06 May 2016, 15:06 »

I feel there is only way to resolve the whole Claire bad/Clinton bad thing:

Harpoons.

It's what I'm taking away from this story arc.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #265 on: 06 May 2016, 15:17 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #266 on: 06 May 2016, 18:42 »

What I'm trying to say is that maybe take a step back and stop simplistic painting of one party as the bad guy, eh?

And I'm saying we need more simplistic painting of one party as the bad guy.  It can't be Clin-ton because he's the victim.  It can't be Barry because he was jacking off a dolphin (perfect alibi).  It can't be Emily because feminism.  All that leaves is Barkeep and Claire.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #267 on: 06 May 2016, 18:44 »

And the windex cocktail.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #268 on: 06 May 2016, 19:28 »

I'd like to see Clinton go back to Coffee of Doom without Claire for a quiet chat with Emily.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #269 on: 06 May 2016, 20:24 »

Bear in mind as well that Clinton is getting advice from a woman who had just forced him to buy a beer and threatened him with a harpoon.

This is probably just me, but I don't think the bartender is qualified to dispense deep and profound advice.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #270 on: 06 May 2016, 21:31 »

Bear in mind as well that Clinton is getting advice from a woman who had just forced him to buy a beer and threatened him with a harpoon.

This is probably just me, but I don't think the bartender is qualified to dispense deep and profound advice.

She didn't give him advice; she just asked him a question. He put it together on his own.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #271 on: 06 May 2016, 21:37 »

She didn't give him advice; she just asked him a question. He put it together on his own.

She's also proven that she isn't a very good listener.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #272 on: 06 May 2016, 23:41 »

How so? in one carefully aimed question, she got to the heart of the matter. And the real problem was not simply that Clinton was wrong about why he was angry; it was that he was so blinded by his  disappointment at rejection (and maybe embarrassment because it was rather public) that he hadn't the perspective to step back and consider whether what Claire did was really right or wrong (a bit of both, it seems to me: good intentions, poorly executed)
Whatever Clinton's answer might have been, forcing him to think through an alternative scenario gave him a new perspective on what happened. Also he's learned that in the future he may have to face the discomfort of rejection without anyone to blame for it.

I'm starting to like Bar lady's 'rough diamond' character.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #273 on: 07 May 2016, 00:49 »

He also had to raise his voice and begin storming out before being heard out and getting the drink he initially ordered, so I don't know if she's the best anger-management advocate. (With or without the harpoon japery.)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #274 on: 07 May 2016, 08:20 »

http://mixthatdrink.com/windex-cocktail/

Huh.  Okay.  I'd drink that.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #275 on: 07 May 2016, 09:53 »

I'd rather say that her attitude regarding listening to people probably resembles her approach to most other problems in life:
Have a stab at it, often, and best skewer it with something pointed.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #276 on: 08 May 2016, 16:25 »

Well, no, you're not very good at your job, Bar Lady, but you occasionally have your moments.

How so?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #277 on: 08 May 2016, 23:19 »

I think that she was just jumping the gun in her eagerness to help Clinton. I think that she's decided to like him!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up