THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where is Clinton Going from the Bar?

The drunk tank (because he can't hold even weak watered-down beer)
Bar Lady's Bedroom on an ill-advised Rebound
To Marten's place to tell off Claire some more (only to be punched by Faye)
On to become a part of the new adversary group started by Bar Lady
Back to Amhurst, where his roomie will give him lots of bad advice
Miss the bus and end up being picked up by some character for an unexpected adventure
Get drunk and Emily's is the only number Bar Lady can find on his 'phone to pick him up; consequences ensue
Inspired by Bar Lady's dismissive comments, he actually does something positive with his life!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3211 to 3215 (2nd to 6th May 2016)  (Read 55033 times)

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: WCDT 3211 to 3215 (2nd to 6th May 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 02 May 2016, 23:36 »

This strip has some very amusing racism.

Right? Especially since it's Clinton. Even Hanners seems to have more muscle.

And the bartender..."O M G someone is frowning into a drink. As an experienced bartender this is a warning sign of a psychopath"

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #51 on: 02 May 2016, 23:39 »

...If she isn't being mean to Clinton because they were in Elementary together and he did something odd then this bartender is coming off very, very, very strong.

What if it's because of his hand? What if she's an anti-cyborg?

But yea, if I was in this bar, I would just leave if the same happened to me. Just put the cash on the table and never return. I'd rather walk around the trees than be in there for long.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #52 on: 03 May 2016, 00:08 »

Unless I'm misremembering, the original version not only had her with a shotgun, it also had her hovering over him with it telling him not to "waste his beer," forcing him to drink it.

I'm a little shocked it even got drawn. It's been changed, and the humour is still a little wanting, but at least it's not the dreadful original.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jimwormmaster

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #53 on: 03 May 2016, 00:09 »

Am I the only one that's seeing 3211 and 3212 as identical?  Even the page for 3212 has the comic with the header of 3211 on it.  Was the wrong one uploaded by accident?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #54 on: 03 May 2016, 00:13 »

No, you're not the only one.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #55 on: 03 May 2016, 00:13 »

Yeah, for some reason, the 'Dolphin Jack' strip has been replaced with a duplicate of Bar Lady doing her tribute to Captain Ahab! I know that this current strip was meant for Monday but there was no need to delete a perfectly good (if somewhat surreal) filler!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #56 on: 03 May 2016, 00:29 »

She keeps the harpoon handy for when her customers start wailing.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #57 on: 03 May 2016, 00:31 »

She keeps the harpoon handy for when her customers start wailing.
*rimshot*
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #58 on: 03 May 2016, 00:34 »

Nobody could be this aggressively annoying without it being the start of a romantic comedy.

Whadda yall think?  Clinton on the rebound and the Barkeep lady who mistreated him and then threatened his life?  I ship it.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 03 May 2016, 00:39 »

No comment.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #60 on: 03 May 2016, 00:49 »

Lets call her Ismaëlla.

dreed

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #61 on: 03 May 2016, 00:53 »

Which page is canon?

Or we are getting the darkest timeline right now?

Ismaella is horrible human being BTW. 

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #62 on: 03 May 2016, 01:14 »

Frankly, even her response in the last strip (This. Is. A. Bar.) was more than a little dickish. She pressured him into buying alcohol, then threatened him into drinking it.
Or, alternately, she pulled a weapon on someone for being in a bad mood at a bar. In which case, I wonder what kind of clientele she would normally allow?
Don't mind me.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 03 May 2016, 01:16 »

I still think that Clinton is dealing with someone who has their own hallucination of reality and is dealing with a twisted perception of him. She's seeing all these subconscious cues that he's a troublemaker that aren't actually there.

I'm still expecting Jeph to finish this arc on a 'gotcha' of some sort where (in the last panel of the last strip of the arc) Clinton and Bar Lady end up in bed together, both wearing nothing but startled expressions on their faces. Because Clinton and Claire didn't think that this was a romantic comedy but they were wrong!

Actually, that might do for a good final line in the arc for Clinton, wouldn't it? "I thought that this wasn't a romantic comedy but I was wrong!"

[edit]
Fix'd typos
« Last Edit: 03 May 2016, 02:21 by BenRG »
~~~~

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #64 on: 03 May 2016, 02:46 »

This lady kind of reminds me of Faye when she worked at the Coffee of Doom. They have identical attitudes to patrons (they are either idiots or troublemakers).

vodyanoi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #65 on: 03 May 2016, 03:19 »

I'd be willing to laugh it off as the bartender being an awful person if Jeph's own words didn't offer a level of justification.  At the very least I hope the reaction to the strip prompts some level of self-reflection on Jeph's part.  The first version came from an especially dark place.

BenRG

• coprophage
Re: WCDT Strips 3211 to 3215 (2nd to 6th May 2016)
« Reply #66 on: 03 May 2016, 03:29 »

Okay, just to make something absolutely clear here: Jeph's footer notes on the strips (the text next to his copyright notice) are very rarely, if ever, serious. It's an author's extra punchline, that's all. So, he's not making a racially profiling comment about white men. He's not justifying Bar Lady's actions. He's making a humorous remark on the strip, that's all!
~~~~

blt

« Reply #67 on: 03 May 2016, 03:55 »

Okay, just to make something absolutely clear here: Jeph's footer notes on the strips (the text next to his copyright notice) are very rarely, if ever, serious. It's an author's extra punchline, that's all. So, he's not making a racially profiling comment about white men. He's not justifying Bar Lady's actions. He's making a humorous remark on the strip, that's all!

I think so too, but there's also a trend in "feminist"/social justice circles that you can say whatever uncool things you want about white men without a hint of irony. Even if just above it in the comic, he's been threatened with bodily harm/death, completely unprovoked, just for showing human emotions.  I wouldn't be surprised if people just nodded along with that at face value.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #68 on: 03 May 2016, 04:07 »

Unless I'm misremembering, the original version not only had her with a shotgun, it also had her hovering over him with it telling him not to "waste his beer," forcing him to drink it.
Yes, it did. And after Clinton had indicated his desire to leave the premises too, so she was constraining that too. Not cool at all. Perhaps the bartender is a latter-day Ahab, obsessed with the pursuit of vengeance over the Great White Male, though Clinton seems a bit small for the porpoise.

I wouldn't be surprised if people just nodded along with that at face value.
You mean apart from the people who remarked here on her inappropriate behaviour?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Momatottotiasos

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #69 on: 03 May 2016, 04:17 »

"To be fair, angry young white men ARE quite dangerous."
Dammit, what is wrong with you Jeph?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #70 on: 03 May 2016, 04:24 »

The second panel had me convinced she was concerned for him. 

So much for the bartender-as-shrink meme...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

brightwings00

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #71 on: 03 May 2016, 04:56 »

To offer another perspective:

I thought it was a commentary on how a lot of shooters that have made the news--Elliott Rodgers, James Holmes, et al.--have been angry white young men. There certainly have been a number of think pieces on the topic.

(It's always tough because people tend to treat all kinds of racism alike on the Internet, with equal weight. But I'd argue that a lot of the stuff we see about making fun of men/straight people/white people is a pushback against the kind of casual, unthinking bigotry in society, where white/straight/male/etc. is just sort of accepted and respected and deferred to without question--call me idealistic, but I doubt the vast majority of women hate the vast majority of men and think they're predatory creeps, for instance. Meanwhile, racism towards black/Asian/Latinx/First Nations people is an expression of that casual, unthinking bigotry, and has more long-lasting and pernicious consequences online and in the real world.

Saying stuff about "angry young white men" isn't a nice thing to do, to be sure. It fits the most basic definition of prejudice. But people will use the "prejudice + power" definition for bigotry, to which other people will come back with "horsesh**, the dictionary says this", but I think the greater context is being missed--that racism towards minorities has greater weight in terms of society's giant see-saw. It has bigger consequences. The young white guy who reads this may feel pissed off, and that's fair. But he can still go out and get his pick of jobs, or get a mortgage loan, or not be stopped--or worse--by police, or see himself in TV and movies and literature. And that's not unimportant to remember.

Personal anecdote time: I'm Christian. Whenever some atheist people talked about Christianity in that mocking "imaginary sky friend" way, I got ticked off. Then as I got older, I realized it really ultimately had no impact on my life or my belief, and some of the points they were making were pretty germane, and a lot of them were speaking from harsh experiences with the worst butt-ends of Christianity: conversion camps, homophobic nonsense, the Westboro Baptist Church. So I didn't take it personally.)

Right, WAY back on topic:

Faye versus Bar Lady--who wins?

vodyanoi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #72 on: 03 May 2016, 05:06 »

That's a lot of words to justify bigotry.

Even were I to accept the premise of your statement, which I don't since it is deeply fallacious: (Elliott Rodgers was not white and whitewashing him like that is gross.  The quantity of shooters that make the news is not a statistic of value and is outweighed by relevant statistics like actual quantities of mass shooters.  Fighting bigotry with bigotry doesn't seem to be working.  And your entire statement is contradictory since it assumes this "thinking" bigotry has no effect as compared to "unthinking" bigotry.  Why can't you just say "Hey that's kind of a dick thing to say" to your atheist friends?  Or do you go tirades about their need to make up for Stalinist Russia)

Even were I to accept those premises, I don't understand the vigorous need to complain about shitting on the rug while you piss on the carpet. 

BlueFatima

« Reply #73 on: 03 May 2016, 05:32 »

Holy major strip changes, Batman!

The weapon is different and so is Clinton's reaction. I thought the shotgun was fine (in a Warner Brothers humor kind of way). I'm wondering what was more behind that decision. There's been a lot of shootings in the US. Wondering why Clinton's reaction is different? Could it be the storyline is not going to end with him drinking too much after all?

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #74 on: 03 May 2016, 05:49 »

Faye versus Bar Lady--who wins?

I ship it.

brightwings00

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #75 on: 03 May 2016, 05:52 »

Even were I to accept the premise of your statement, which I don't since it is deeply fallacious: (Elliott Rodgers was not white and whitewashing him like that is gross.  The quantity of shooters that make the news is not a statistic of value and is outweighed by relevant statistics like actual quantities of mass shooters.  Fighting bigotry with bigotry doesn't seem to be working.  And your entire statement is contradictory since it assumes this "thinking" bigotry has no effect as compared to "unthinking" bigotry.  Why can't you just say "Hey that's kind of a dick thing to say" to your atheist friends?  Or do you go tirades about their need to make up for Stalinist Russia)

Even were I to accept those premises, I don't understand the vigorous need to complain about shitting on the rug while you piss on the carpet.

I went and looked up Elliott Rodgers, and you're absolutely correct on that front--my bad.

But if you want statistics on mass shootings, I looked those up too--the Washington Post says that out of 128 mass shooting perpetrators, all but three of them were male and the vast majority were between the ages of 20 to 49. Over here it says that between 1982 and 2015, 44 out of 75 mass shootings were perpetrated by white people. Am I saying that every single white young man should be profiled on this basis? No, absolutely not. But I don't think it's groundbreaking to say that there's a culture we've created--call it toxic masculinity or whatever you want--where people like these angry white young men, the kind of people you'd find in the darkest corners of 4chan or Reddit, are feeling increasingly disenfranchised by diversity ("I can't talk to girls anymore", "I got passed over for this job because they wanted to be politically correct", "I can't make jokes without someone getting offended") and that plays into their complex, and some of them are dangerous. That's something we need to address.

Look, I'm not trying to justify bigotry or say that jokes about men, or straight people, or white people are cool, fun things to do. I'm saying people treat them with the same gravity as insults against black people or women or gay people, when they don't have the same weight, and we (as a society we) need to recognize that. We're not yet at the point where the see-saw is equal. Jokes about 'angry white young men' don't have the same impact as jokes about women being wh***s or Asian people being all stiff and nerdy and mysterious. It strikes me as complaining about a spot on the rug when there's a giant, massive, steaming pile of crap on the carpet next to you that's just getting ignored.

USS Martenclaire: the sass would be even more epic than the time Angus got physically thrown out of the store by Faye's scorn. I kind of want to see it now.

BlueFatima

« Reply #76 on: 03 May 2016, 05:55 »

I thought it was a commentary on how a lot of shooters that have made the news--Elliott Rodgers, James Holmes, et al.--have been angry white young men. There certainly have been a number of think pieces on the topic.

This. I can't believe people are even mentioning "racism." I'm white. I don't find it offensive at all. And isn't Jephe white?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #77 on: 03 May 2016, 06:14 »

I'm white. I don't find it offensive at all. And isn't Jephe white?

Without wanting to commit myself either way, I feel the need to point out that neither of those facts prove the statement not to be racist.

I would have gone with "angry young men are quite dangerous" myself, but that's just me.

BlueFatima

« Reply #78 on: 03 May 2016, 06:25 »

I'm white. I don't find it offensive at all. And isn't Jephe white?

Without wanting to commit myself either way, I feel the need to point out that neither of those facts prove the statement not to be racist.

I would have gone with "angry young men are quite dangerous" myself, but that's just me.

Either he changed it or that's what he wrote.

Self deprecating humor I believe some call it. :)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #79 on: 03 May 2016, 06:43 »

Jephe? 

Jephie! 

Or Jeph-E? 

Naaaaaahhh...

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #80 on: 03 May 2016, 06:44 »

This. I can't believe people are even mentioning "racism." I'm white. I don't find it offensive at all. And isn't Jephe white?

It actually took me a minute or two to figure out why I was supposed to have become a victim of "racism" (fingers crossed that nobody mentions my age). Whenever I feel myself catching a sliver of the "Oh, so it's cool now to shit on white males"-paranoia, I chide myself to stop reading Jezebel/Gawker and to relegate those feelings to their proper drawer, labelled "Things I can (comfortably) not give a fuck about" (Hat-tip to Ally Fogg).

It's a bit like "ironic misandry" - Yeah, not particularly 'nice', but: "DANG! That is some first-class comfy *ism I'm suffering from!"

While I'm generally somewhat unenthusiastic about the unthinking application of the "*ism=prejudice+power"-formula, this is a virtually perfect example of where it is appropriate:
The "offense" is greatly outmatched by the real offense that lies in inappropriately labelling jokes like the one we are discussing as racism - which implicitly downplays the suffering of victims of actual systemic racism.

(Just in passing: Yes, Jeph is white. And the mods take a bit of a dim view about misspelling his name - whatwith him paying for the server & our fun)
« Last Edit: 03 May 2016, 07:28 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #81 on: 03 May 2016, 06:51 »

Actually, I think it was probably a typo.  "Isn't he white" became "Isn't Jephe white" in an attempt to be more specific. 

Dammed pronouns...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #82 on: 03 May 2016, 06:53 »

Also, is "Old Rat" really a top-shelf item?  I mostly drink beer, so I wouldn't know...  :angel:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #83 on: 03 May 2016, 07:12 »

That is a very EFFECTIVE barkeep.  I like her already. :-D

Actually, she would make an absolutely horrible bartender. Which is probably why she's there on the apparently afternoon shift with almost no customers in the place. Giving your customers crap and threatening them with deadly weapons for no reasons for most places is a fast track to being hired. I don't even think Dora would put up with that for the Coffee of Doom. They provide snark to their customers, not open hostility and threats.

Bartenders generally want to seem nice and friendly. Remember this is the US. Bartenders live on tips. You can bet with that attitude, she's getting none, and driving away customers. I'm a pretty lax person... but if I was treated like that the first time I entered a place, I'd turn right around and walk out without even buying anything. And most likely complain to the management about it.

As far as her being a bouncer... She has the attitude for it, sure. But there's a reason bars tend to hire big, burly, threatening looking guys... They're more likely to get through the alcohol-soaked brain of a belligerent drunk based on size and appearance, not on words. Basically, someone who looked like her would have to spend more time beating up or manhandling people to eject them, instead of just scaring them into leaving. Which also is bad for the bar.

TV4Fun

« Reply #84 on: 03 May 2016, 07:26 »

I can see some DBZ Abridged-style humor happening with this strip: "This a shotgun. Now it's a harpoon. Now it's a stapler. Now it's a dildo. Now it's Pintsize."

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #85 on: 03 May 2016, 07:33 »

Barkeep is picking on Clinton because he has a robot hand and she is racist. And angry. Everyone is angry and racist. All except Dolphin Jack. He's a free spirit.*

*There are no free spirits. This is a bar. We sell beer and liquor.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #86 on: 03 May 2016, 07:33 »

Also, is "Old Rat" really a top-shelf item?  I mostly drink beer, so I wouldn't know...  :angel:

It's a variant of "That Old Janx Spirit" - for the discriminating customer ...
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

vodyanoi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #87 on: 03 May 2016, 07:59 »

I went and looked up Elliott Rodgers, and you're absolutely correct on that front--my bad.

But if you want statistics on mass shootings, I looked those up too--the Washington Post says that out of 128 mass shooting perpetrators, all but three of them were male and the vast majority were between the ages of 20 to 49. Over here it says that between 1982 and 2015, 44 out of 75 mass shootings were perpetrated by white people. Am I saying that every single white young man should be profiled on this basis? No, absolutely not. But I don't think it's groundbreaking to say that there's a culture we've created--call it toxic masculinity or whatever you want--where people like these angry white young men, the kind of people you'd find in the darkest corners of 4chan or Reddit, are feeling increasingly disenfranchised by diversity ("I can't talk to girls anymore", "I got passed over for this job because they wanted to be politically correct", "I can't make jokes without someone getting offended") and that plays into their complex, and some of them are dangerous. That's something we need to address.

Your source is a chart without any information.  I on the other hand have:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

Which shows 44 of 80 to be white men, which is quite a bit less than US racial percentage.  Even your example has white men account for 58.6% of the shootings, which is still less than their racial percentage ought to be.  Your arguing that white men actually aren't violent enough, which is pretty amusing.  Asian men actually make up a out of proportion portion.  I suppose you should be joking about them, but that's the wrong kind of bigotry, huh.  Instead, you'd rather make assumptions and cast people into bigoted stereotyped roles to fulfill some kind of weird masturbatory fan-fiction.  The problem with the mindset of "lesser" bigotry is that seeks self-satisfaction and denies empathy. 

Random832

« Reply #88 on: 03 May 2016, 08:00 »

I think what's going on here is that people are assuming that - regardless of it's justified or not, it's meant to be the actual reason for her actions. And, given that, they're comparing Jeph's joking "to be fair" comment with the horrified reaction that she would get if she made a similar assumption about someone of a different race.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #89 on: 03 May 2016, 08:04 »

I can see some DBZ Abridged-style humor happening with this strip: "This a shotgun. Now it's a harpoon. Now it's a stapler. Now it's a dildo. Now it's Pintsize."
It would work well with a script like on that one xkcd comic that shows a different thing to each person depending on their web browser/location, etc.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #90 on: 03 May 2016, 08:09 »

Instead, you'd rather make assumptions and cast people into bigoted stereotyped roles to fulfill some kind of weird masturbatory fan-fiction. 

I have to say, that's some mighty fine transition element you got there, friend ...

She actually didn't claim any of the things you try to read into her post - what She did do was trying to build a bridge for you out of that "Oh Wey! I am a marginalized ethnicity/gender and nobody realizes it!"-mindset.

Edit: Corrected for stupid brain ending up misgendering random strangers.

I'm a she.

Fuck, sorry! I plead caffeine-deprivation & 2nd language processing errors. Thank you for setting me straight.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2016, 10:33 by Case »

vodyanoi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #91 on: 03 May 2016, 08:16 »

Instead, you'd rather make assumptions and cast people into bigoted stereotyped roles to fulfill some kind of weird masturbatory fan-fiction. 

I have to say, that's some mighty fine transition element you got there, friend ...

He actually didn't claim any of the things you try to read into his post - what he did do was trying to build a bridge for you out of that "Oh Wey! I am a persecuted ethnicity/gender and nobody realizes it!"-mindset.

It's funny that you assume I'm white.  I'm not.  I find it telling when people assume that having a problem with the "right" kind of racism has to be self-serving.

And reading into the post they claim that mass shooters are disproportionately white, a claim even their facts don't support.  Thus their fantasy of "toxic masculinity 4chan diversity haters" is a fairly transparent product of prejudice and bigotry.  Fan-fiction.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #92 on: 03 May 2016, 08:18 »

Okay, maybe we should all take a deep breath before any of us make the leap into thread derailment or even thread closure.

Its a hot button topic, yes. And certainly one that can cause more than a few shouting matches, but at the same time this isn't the particularly best place to discuss racism or gender stereotyping. That's in another part of the forum.

Let's just stick with what the WCDT does best, terrible jokes and character misinterpretation. :roll:

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #93 on: 03 May 2016, 08:19 »

Replacing the shotgun with the harpoon is a good author's saving throw on Jeph's part. Humor works, and Clinton doesn't have an actionable cause against the bar.

brightwings00

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 03 May 2016, 09:02 »

He actually didn't claim any of the things you try to read into his post - what he did do was trying to build a bridge for you out of that "Oh Wey! I am a marginalized ethnicity/gender and nobody realizes it!"-mindset.

I'm a she.

vodyanoi, seriously, chill. I'm not suggesting that all young white men are evil depraved creatures. I'm saying it behooves white people, like myself, and particularly white men to examine all the facets of racism in society--where it happens, how it happens, why it happens--and think about how humour plays into that.

And now, let's follow TheEvilDog's advice and write terrible Bubbles/Faye/Bar Lady love-triangle fanfiction.

blt

« Reply #95 on: 03 May 2016, 09:30 »

I wouldn't be surprised if people just nodded along with that at face value.
You mean apart from the people who remarked here on her inappropriate behaviour?
That could be why I said "people" and not "literally everyone", yes.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #96 on: 03 May 2016, 10:03 »

That there is one crap bartender, she is.

Brakkis

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #97 on: 03 May 2016, 10:15 »

So Bars don't legally have to offer tap water, but they are required by law to have the water running, which is still tap water. You're just not getting a cup for it. They are also legally required to sell bottled water at the least. They still make a profit from it in that way.

Not only that, but she seems far more angry than Clinton does. He's having a bad day and glaring at a glass of alcohol that he didn't even want in the first place, and she's threatening him with a harpoon after making him purchase said glass of alcohol.

This lady is a crappy bartender.

jaquio

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 03 May 2016, 10:32 »

Question:

Was the (now non-canon) appearance of the shotgun the first actual appearance of a gun in QC?

Faye's father's suicide was (mercifully) off panel.  I can't think of any other instance of a gun appearing in the strip.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #99 on: 03 May 2016, 10:48 »

Mod hat on.

There are some interesting thoughts and discussions above that would benefit the "Is this racist?" Thread in DISCUSS.

As for the rest, by the time I logged in it was past "cough" and into "clears throat" as the necessary response.

Whatever the disagreement, don't let it get personal.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up