THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where is Clinton Going from the Bar?

The drunk tank (because he can't hold even weak watered-down beer)
Bar Lady's Bedroom on an ill-advised Rebound
To Marten's place to tell off Claire some more (only to be punched by Faye)
On to become a part of the new adversary group started by Bar Lady
Back to Amhurst, where his roomie will give him lots of bad advice
Miss the bus and end up being picked up by some character for an unexpected adventure
Get drunk and Emily's is the only number Bar Lady can find on his 'phone to pick him up; consequences ensue
Inspired by Bar Lady's dismissive comments, he actually does something positive with his life!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3211 to 3215 (2nd to 6th May 2016)  (Read 55039 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT Strips 3211 to 3215 (2nd to 6th May 2016)
« Reply #150 on: 04 May 2016, 07:00 »

Comic!

I'm absurdly pleased that Barry is now officially canon.

Notice the tatoo on his arm...   :laugh: :roll:

I'd also like to be the first to note that the perspective in panel 3 is pretty awesome.

Agreed!  And the doorway take in panel 4 is awesome as well. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #151 on: 04 May 2016, 07:09 »

I find myself wondering (again) what various pieces of literature/cinema/television would have been like had their creation been attended at every little increment with the backseat driving, carping, prijection of personal issues and other opinionation of the audience/readership -- or indeed, whether they would have been made at all or given up as a bad job.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #152 on: 04 May 2016, 09:51 »

I find myself wondering (again) what various pieces of literature/cinema/television would have been like had their creation been attended at every little increment with the backseat driving, carping, prijection of personal issues and other opinionation of the audience/readership -- or indeed, whether they would have been made at all or given up as a bad job.
I don't think that particularly applies here. Jeph did the shotgun version, looked at it, thought it wasn't riight, and revised. No reader feedback involved. We only saw the earlier version by accident.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #153 on: 04 May 2016, 10:31 »

Except (certain) people are criticizing the intended page in pretty much the same way.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #154 on: 04 May 2016, 11:29 »

depending on to what extent much the change was a reaction to feedback

Not a reaction to feedback at all - he changed it before putting it up publicly (I think Patreon people saw it earlier), but then made the wrong one publicly visible by mistake; he corrected it within minutes, but the CloudFlare caching meant that far more people saw it than might have been expected.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #155 on: 04 May 2016, 16:09 »

Except (certain) people are criticizing the intended page in pretty much the same way.

As I posted earlier, I expect that their view of the intended page was irreversibly distorted by the retracted one.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #156 on: 04 May 2016, 17:13 »

Barry is known to the regulars.
Notice the tatoo on his arm...   :laugh: :roll:
Could it be a Yelling Bird tattoo? I'm not sure I want to know.

Beerista is attempting to be reasonable. I have a bad feeling about this...
Run, Clinton! Escape while you can!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #157 on: 04 May 2016, 18:45 »

Nah, Clinton is going to become a regular there. Barry's tall tales/hallucinations ought to be good for lots of gags.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #158 on: 04 May 2016, 19:33 »

Comic's up.

The real question is, are the problems that can't be solved with a harpoon worth solving?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS
« Reply #159 on: 04 May 2016, 19:42 »

Ah, OK--she's not an asshole, she's just a psychopath. I feel like she would fit in well with Sweet-Tits and Yelling Bird, with their ridiculous cartoon violence.

Also, her expression in the first panel (before Clinton is looking at her) looks distinctly non-hostile, compared to her expressions in the rest of the comic & previous ones. Supports the belief that her hostility is a persona she puts on to deal with the bar patrons.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #160 on: 04 May 2016, 19:43 »

I briefly wondered if the bartender had given Clinton a glass of mop-water or something, or otherwise why it would be gray.  Even Flint water doesn't look like that.

Then I realized water is clear and the gray was his hand behind the glass.

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #161 on: 04 May 2016, 19:48 »

I'm still looking at Clinton's face at the start of this debacle and trying to figure out how that expression translates to 'Angry'.
Don't mind me.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #162 on: 04 May 2016, 19:49 »

Given her appearance immediately after a rejection from Emily, I thought the barkeep may have been introduced as a potential romantic interest.  Then I noticed that ship was headed for an iceberg.  :claireface:

blt

« Reply #163 on: 04 May 2016, 19:58 »

Rather than a communication/social disorder as someone mentioned before, I'm starting to feel that maybe English isn't her first language?  I wonder if we'll ever get a diffinitive answer on that.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #164 on: 04 May 2016, 20:42 »

Are we certain that the bartender is not an AI? She sounds like Bubbles after a robo-lobotomy or something.

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #165 on: 04 May 2016, 20:48 »

That went better than expected. Maybe I'm too puritanical about the 'tone' of the comic, heh. But this is going steady.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #166 on: 04 May 2016, 20:56 »

I wonder if she is just a throwaway character as well, but like most other characters in this strip, I imagine people will view her more sympathetically if they get to know her more.

I'm still sticking with this prediction. Our view of her will change markedly once we have more than just a single data point.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #167 on: 04 May 2016, 21:04 »

Where does one even get a harpoon?

Asking for a friend.

(And myself.) 

((We're gonna have some harpoon fights!))
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #169 on: 04 May 2016, 22:09 »

She's not a terrible character, she's just quirky.

Clinton's being chill about the whole thing at least.
oh god

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #170 on: 04 May 2016, 22:17 »

She's not quirky, she just has a job she doesn't like all that much.

https://youtu.be/E9PSg0sQyfs

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #171 on: 04 May 2016, 22:22 »

Arrrr, this be Captin' Ahabs daughter no doubt

:-D

Amd it looks like we have another eccentric Northamptonite in the comic
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #172 on: 04 May 2016, 23:18 »

This is the experience that teaches Clinton that the only (non-related) girls who will ever show any interest in him are the quirky ones! Just roll with it, Clinton. You just cannot escape some destinies! :lol:

FWIW, I'm sticking with my prediction that Bar Lady has some sort of social disorder. She just doesn't have any instinct for human social interaction. She's basically forced to just go with a series of best guesses and, regrettably, they're not particularly good ones. For example, this is her being nice, as best as she knows how!

Re.: The nautical theme - The 'picture of a ship' is the Titanic about to hit that fateful iceberg. Possibily this serves as foreshadowing about the immediate future of this arc. :-P
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #173 on: 04 May 2016, 23:28 »

For the record, while you can't solve EVERY problem with a harpoon, you can solve a lot of problems with a harpoon.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #174 on: 04 May 2016, 23:35 »

FWIW, I'm sticking with my prediction that Bar Lady has some sort of social disorder.

Yeah, well.

hey guys, which female character am i

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #175 on: 04 May 2016, 23:44 »

I am confused by my attraction to Clinton the way Jeph's been drawing him lately  :psyduck:

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #176 on: 05 May 2016, 00:19 »

I love the "NO WATER" at the bottom of the specials board.

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #177 on: 05 May 2016, 01:23 »

Harpoons are only useful against very large and fat sisters.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #178 on: 05 May 2016, 01:43 »

Ultimately I think this is a case of where QC's pacing suffers from, well, being a daily comic. If we were reading all these pages at once, none of this "controversy" would have happened.

Exactly. After reading last Friday's comic, I didn't read QC again until tonight, after 3214 was already out, and I was amazed by all the brouhaha in the forum.

For the record, while you can't solve EVERY problem with a harpoon, you can solve a lot of problems with a harpoon.

Really? I don't think I've ever had a problem that could be solved with a harpoon. What sorts of problems do you have?

BTW, doesn't today's harpoon seem longer than the one on Tuesday? How many harpoons has she got??

gopher

« Reply #179 on: 05 May 2016, 01:58 »

BTW, doesn't today's harpoon seem longer than the one on Tuesday? How many harpoons has she got??
Enough.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #180 on: 05 May 2016, 02:27 »

Enough.

That is the basic trick with any weapon you throw; always have another one...

katsmeat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #181 on: 05 May 2016, 02:33 »

Really? I don't think I've ever had a problem that could be solved with a harpoon. What sorts of problems do you have?

I think it's quite correct to say a large number of problems *can* be solved with a harpoon. However what hasn't been mentioned is that tends to introduce a new problem of years, if not decades of jail time.  So overall, the non-harpoon solution is best, if one can be found

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #182 on: 05 May 2016, 02:37 »

If it can't be solved with a harpoon, it can be solved with a sufficient amount of explosives.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #183 on: 05 May 2016, 02:46 »

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #184 on: 05 May 2016, 02:47 »

Well, of course people are going to ignore the "no water" on the specials when you keep Old Rat and Blood God at the front of the bottles.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #185 on: 05 May 2016, 03:00 »

I have a theory about Bar Lady.

If the speculation is correct that she has a condition that impairs her ability with social interaction and communication (perhaps she's on the autistic spectrum somewhere), then she's probably not had an easy life. Not everyone is as lucky to have parents as loving and supportive as Emily's. If she's been abused and/or neglected, then she's probably quite defensive and this might explain her being so aggressive. It's virtually a survival instinct in a subtly to overtly threatening world.

Having not been supported through education or treatment, her condition has left her stuck pretty much at the bottom of the social and employment ladder, with a low-paying service job provided by a kindly business owner and dependent on what little she can scrape together in tips. I doubt that's much, although something tells me Barry might be as helpful as he can.

It's thoughts like this that make me wonder if she's going to be a new regular character. Slice-of-Life stories tend to always be evolving. As character arcs come to an end, their protagonists start to fade in the background and they become more supporting characters (as we're seeing with Marten and Dora). To keep the story fresh, sometimes you need to add new blood because, too often, giving existing characters new arcs can sometimes seem arbitrary (Jeph was lucky that Faye's new arc with Bubbles is working so well but he might not want to push his luck by taking other existing characters in new directions). So, it's possible that Bar Lady is not only going to be a character foil for Clinton but her journey is going to become a long-term character arc in its own right.

If it can't be solved with a harpoon, it can be solved with a sufficient amount of explosives.

Taken from "The Wit and Wisdom of Lt Gen John J 'Jack' O'Neill, USAF".
« Last Edit: 05 May 2016, 03:57 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #186 on: 05 May 2016, 04:18 »

Ok, bartender is less shitty now. I wouldn't blame Clinton for never going back to the bar, but at least this should make him feel better about the whole thing with Claire.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #187 on: 05 May 2016, 05:00 »

When your only tool is a harpoon, all your problems begin to look like whales. :claireface:

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #188 on: 05 May 2016, 05:19 »

Grief folks, cool it a bit. The harpoon running gag just made me laugh and brightened up my morning.  Isn't that pretty much what a web comic is for? Actually I kinda fancy a T shirt with some sort of harpoon gag on...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #189 on: 05 May 2016, 06:10 »

She's... not a very good bartender is she? Though I noticed she was filling an entire ice tea glass with whiskey there.... That could explain why some of her patrons keep coming back...

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #190 on: 05 May 2016, 06:38 »

Apropos of absolutely nothing...
Might I suggest we all take a deep breath, calm down and wait to see where Jeph takes this Storyline before we all start reaching for the Tar and Feathers?

When I read this I first saw it as "Tai and Feathers" and took a few moments to picture that before rereading what you posted.

Though my vote is now officially that we need a Tai and Feathers storyline.

Especially if it is this Feathers
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #191 on: 05 May 2016, 08:04 »

I'm reminded of something I read a while back:
"Violence doesn't solve anything... yes it does. Violence solves everything. If you have a problem that violence doesn't solve, you're not using enough of it."
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #192 on: 05 May 2016, 08:17 »

I think various authors use fan-base reactions (for various purposes - inspiration, gauging reactions, personal amusement) to pre-published pieces of the whole during the creative process - IIRC, William Gibson e.g. likened it to "putting a cake on the windowsill overnight".

I got a good laugh out of the barkeep saying "and you're angry because you lost". She has all the social grace of a run over badger corpse that's been left in the sun for three days.

:mrgreen:

Reminds me of this (glorious) guest-strip by Danielle Corsetto of Girls with Slingshots-fame.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2016, 08:37 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #193 on: 05 May 2016, 08:26 »

Quote from: The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #194 on: 05 May 2016, 10:03 »

Harpoons were not the solution to landing on a comet.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #195 on: 05 May 2016, 10:10 »

Harpoons were not the solution to landing on a comet.
There was, however, quite a lot of explosives involved.
@syleegrrl

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #196 on: 05 May 2016, 10:39 »

It could have been, with a long enough trailing rope....

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #197 on: 05 May 2016, 12:21 »

I'm reminded of something I read a while back:
"Violence doesn't solve anything... yes it does. Violence solves everything. If you have a problem that violence doesn't solve, you're not using enough of it."
There are few situations in life that cannot be honorably settled, and without any loss of time, either by suicide, a bag of gold, or by thrusting a despised antagonist over the edge of a precipice on a dark night - Ernest Bramah
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #198 on: 05 May 2016, 13:21 »

Actually, harpoons can solve every problem. You know, problems like 'I need to harpoon some shit and I don't have a harpoon' or 'how do I leave a massive fucking hole in this thing, but do so from a distance' or 'I need to change the channel but the goddamned remote is all the way over there, and also somehow inside of a dolphin' jeez dude he just isn't thinking big enough what a fucking dweeb
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #199 on: 05 May 2016, 14:44 »

Let's be specific. Are we maybe talking about
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up