THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dawn of War 3  (Read 8237 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

Re: Dawn of War 3
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2016, 09:16 »

I'm flipping tables. Especially at the 2:20 mark.
KNIGHTS! FREAKING IMPERIAL KNIGHTS!
« Last Edit: 03 May 2016, 10:45 by TheEvilDog »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2016, 09:28 »

Not gonna lie. The low angle shot of the Wraith Knight walking by game me chills. And then the Knight Titans came running on.....

That space marine though. "Lemme just block this with my chainsword."

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2016, 10:49 »

I thought he was saluting

since the knight just saved his bacon.

anywho, the bodies all seem to be dropping into the volcano looking thing.  I wonder if its something more sinister...like something tyranid related to harvest the biomass...
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2016, 11:33 »

Or a throne of bones and skulls...

No, the Space Marine knew he was dead. Two knights were crashing down on top of him, and he couldn't get out of the way he thought. So he raised his weapon and closed his eyes to die on his feet like a warrior.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2016, 13:10 »

Now, that is an advertisement for the sale of Terminator armour if ever I saw.

Hell, if he had been wearing Terminator armour, he would have survived a Warlord titan stomping on him.

As for the bodies being dropped into the volcano thingy, I'm going with the pointlessness of war, that everyone who dies ends up in the same place.

Or Chaos. Creepy stuff like that is usually Chaos.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2016, 20:33 »

Terminator Armor sounds all nice and stuff, but in a Space Hulk, the 'nids will rip right through it like tissue paper and steal your genes.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2016, 21:04 »

See, that's what happens when you give Genestealers Rending claws.

I'm about to show my age here, so you're warned.

I remember in 2nd edition 40k when Terminators were unholy bullet magnets that would just not stop. This was back in the day of complicated dice roll equations to work out how much you could penetrate armour. Likewise, units could have ridiculous saving rolls and if I remember correctly, Terminators topped the list: 2+ on 2 d6.

Which essentially meant that 95% of the time, Terminators were pretty much indestructible, you basically had to fire artillery point blank into the face of a terminator to have a chance of hurting them.

The 3rd edition happened and common sense reigned for all of 15 minutes.

Good time.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2016, 05:09 »

Anyone else hoping that the Pirate Ork guy comes back and not the generic one from DoW1?

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2016, 03:39 »

Well, Orkamungus from DoW 1 can't come back, but Gorgutz 'Ead 'Unter from WA, DC, & SS can. I'm not really up to seeing that waddling git. I get what you mean though; Bluddflagg was great, but I'm not one for bringing back any of the previous DoW characters. What I'd love would be either a Goff Warboss or a Kult of Speed Warboss on a big fat warbike.

I'm also not really looking forward to any Chaos Lords. Those have, by and large, been terrible:

IMO, they really need a bit of restraint on the ham on this one for it to be taken seriously.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2016, 08:08 »

IMO, they really need a bit of restraint on the ham on this one for it to be taken seriously.
..........Its 40K, it practically runs on ham, its so over the top. This is a setting where guys use what amounts to chainsaw swords as regular melee weapons. Where they have mecha that come down to cathedrals on legs. You can't turn around in the setting without seeing some meme-worthy incident.

40K hasn't been taken seriously since the 1980s. That's why people love it.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2016, 09:13 »

Ham and cheese is the preferred flavor of Warhammer. Preferably in the shape of a skull, mounted on a spike on the oversized shoulder of a ridiculous large speesh mahrin.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2016, 09:21 »

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2016, 18:21 »

Well, yeah, but it looks from the launch trailer like they're trying to have a bit more gravitas in III. If they did want it to be serious, they need to reign in the goofy-assed lines.

If you want the full-stop goofy-assed WTF WH40K experience, I've got a better idea:

Dawn of Racing I: Necromunda
Dawn of Racing II: GORKAMORKA
Dawn of Racing III: Craftworld: Rainbow Road

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2016, 11:19 »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2016, 19:31 »

I still long for a day when it is the Dark Angels who get their very own game, smiting heretics for the Emperor.

Dawn of Racing II: GORKAMORKA

Also, interesting 40k video game fact - there was in fact going to be a Gorkamorka video game years ago on the Dreamcast and it was going to be a vehicle combat heavy game with touted features including being able to harpoon rival vehicles, as well as a random chance of the skorcha blowing up. The game was scrapped because the developers realised that the Dreamcast had been all but abandoned by Sony, so of course we'll never know if that's how things would end up.

Anyway, point being, while the games are being made by a third party, ultimately it would be Games-Workshop dictating the tone and content of the game. Even if there is a degree of gravitas to the game, its only because the setting itself is so GRIMDARK, which is in itself so damn cheesy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up