THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which video game would you like to have a QC Mod?

The Sims
Civilisation/Age of Empires
X-Com
Fallout
Pokémon
Legend of Zelda
Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball
Kerbal Space Program
RWBY - Grimm Eclipse
Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter
Other (please specify in comment)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3216 to 3220 (9th to 13th May 2016)  (Read 47228 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 3216 to 3220 (9th to 13th May 2016)
« Reply #200 on: 13 May 2016, 03:09 »

My question is why would you keep texts?

Only because keeping them requires zero effort, deleting them requires some small amount of effort, and it doesn't otherwise matter either way.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #201 on: 13 May 2016, 06:45 »

I kinda hope that Bar Lady becomes a regular, but they never give her a name, or even a nickname. Like, it just never comes up.

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #202 on: 13 May 2016, 07:18 »

I kinda hope that Bar Lady becomes a regular, but they never give her a name, or even a nickname. Like, it just never comes up.

It will come up in the next comic when Clinton invites her back to his place. I wonder if she'll bring her harpoon.
Thinks too much.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #203 on: 13 May 2016, 07:27 »

I'm just happy to hear it wasn't Clinton's fault.

Dude needs to catch a little bit of a break now and again.
oh god

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #204 on: 13 May 2016, 07:28 »

The way she talks... I realized she reminds me of Rei from Evangelion. Clinton would be the perfect whiny Shinji for sure.

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #205 on: 13 May 2016, 08:37 »

Clinton's a man of action, not to mention a risk-taker, and she's a woman of few words.  I wouldn't call it a match made in heaven, but there's possibilities.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #206 on: 13 May 2016, 09:06 »

Hmmm... Betting Clinton is going to miss the last bus and they will be looking for a place to stay together.

Pintman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #207 on: 13 May 2016, 09:18 »

Hmmm... Betting Clinton is going to miss the last bus and they will be looking for a place to stay together.

Worse comes to worst, though, he does have a sister with a car...

It will come up in the next comic when Clinton invites her back to his place. I wonder if she'll bring her harpoon.

I am completely failing to not reply to this with "if you know what I mean"

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #208 on: 13 May 2016, 10:02 »

If you want to go this route, Clinton and Bar Lady could share a room at the Hotel Northampton.

Or, you know, Clinton also has a mom who lives in Northampton. He could always just walk home and explain why he needs to crash there for the night. But where are the wacky hijinks in that story?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #209 on: 13 May 2016, 10:21 »

Or, you know, Clinton also has a mom who lives in Northampton. He could always just walk home and explain why he needs to crash there for the night. But where are the wacky hijinks in that story?

Mrs A likes matchmaking for her kids and is a pro at casual manipulation in a way that Claire can't imagine. If Clinton turns up with a strange girl for whom he is acting the White Knight, she may decide to push matters in the direction she wants them to go.

BARLADY: "Your mother is strange. Kept looking at me funny. Told me that she's looking forward to having a second daughter."

CLINTON: "MMMOOOMMM!!!"

BARLADY: "Also told me you like the colour green and tall girls. Why tell me that?"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #210 on: 13 May 2016, 10:30 »

In the same way, some people don't clean out the "trash bin" on their computers either. Personally, I delete my all my texts as I go, keeping them only as long as they are needed.
Well, that's quite a bit different. Trash is trash. Duplicate files, incomplete files, superseded files, etc. Texts are communication records, and you never know when prior communications will be important.
Indeed, that's why I delete it.  I would hate to have to call up everyone I know and warn them that some asshat who stole my phone or hacked it now has a copy of everything they ever wrote to me.  Some of that is extremely personal stuff, and risking their privacy would be damned rude to my correspondents.  Anything I think I need to keep goes somewhere a LOT more secure than a phone.  I would hate to think that anyone I correspond privately with doesn't delete old texts.
At first it seemed like her punctuated syntax was to make a point, but it continues to be odd. It seems likely that English is a second language for the bartender. I wonder where she's from?

Her affect is extremely flat.  I suspect  (if this is as a result of Jeph having done his research as usual) that it indicates that she's probably not neurotypical.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that the spelling dictionary used on this particular board counts "Jeph" as a misspelling?

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #211 on: 13 May 2016, 10:35 »

I didn't even know I *could* delete old texts until this conversation.

An education all around, I suppose.  Until this conversation I had no idea there would be anyone on the planet who didn't - and also expected that just because it would be astonishingly stupid in terms of liability for the service providers otherwise, if I were to forget then the messages would time out after a week or so if I didn't delete them. 

You're telling me they don't even protect themselves from liability in the least? 

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #212 on: 13 May 2016, 10:43 »

Clinton: Your finest beer please.

Beerista: One Antarctic Nail Ale coming right up.

*Clintons wallet self-combusts and quickly immolates the bar*

I'm actually more impressed with the fact that Australia has a 'Ministry of Racing, Gaming and Liquor' ...

Well done! (I guess?)
« Last Edit: 13 May 2016, 21:56 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #213 on: 13 May 2016, 12:00 »

You're telling me they don't even protect themselves from liability in the least? 
They're being stored on the phone, which is your property, not necessarily on the provider's servers (although IIRC they're kept there in case of subpoena). So, it's up to you to delete them if you want to.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #214 on: 13 May 2016, 12:36 »

Does it seem odd to anyone else that the spelling dictionary used on this particular board counts "Jeph" as a misspelling?

No, because it doesn't.  Although the forum software can be set to use the PHP spell-checker, it is not enabled for this forum (nor is the spell-checker installed anyway).  So it must be the spell-check in your browser that is objecting to Jeph - and mine doesn't.  I would expect you to be able to right-click it and add it to the dictionary anyway (maybe I did that).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #215 on: 13 May 2016, 12:39 »

Hmmm, a mysterious fire, and harpoon girl looses her apartment.  Is Faye anywhere in the vicinity? Is she  connected to Faye somehow?
« Last Edit: 16 May 2016, 11:57 by Roborat »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #216 on: 13 May 2016, 13:05 »

She's obviously evil mirror universe Faye. She even has the goatee, she just moved it to her eyebrows.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #217 on: 13 May 2016, 15:38 »

She's obviously evil mirror universe Faye. She even has the goatee, she just moved it to her eyebrows.

Hey! As someone with thick eyebrows, I find it offensive that people equate thick eyebrows with evilness.

It's wrong and it's hurtful and it's mean!

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #218 on: 13 May 2016, 15:57 »

Hmm. Clinton and Lady Bar.

.....could this be like Marten & Faye at the very beginning of QC again? 'Twould be a delightful way for the comic to come full circle. :evil: :-D

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #219 on: 13 May 2016, 16:34 »

Hey! As someone with thick eyebrows, I find it offensive that people equate thick eyebrows with evilness.

Hey, I have thick eyebrows too.

Muhahahaha!  :evil:

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #220 on: 13 May 2016, 17:32 »

And so, Clinton and still-unnamed Bar-lady become like Marten and Faye. Bonded by burning buildings, one kinda quiet, the other loud and violent, these things line up!

I just have to point out that this wouldn't be the first QC relationship that began with a girl's place being on fire. OR EVEN THE SECOND: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1552
Thinks too much.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #221 on: 13 May 2016, 17:53 »

Pretty sure the beerista does not own the bar. The 'No Water' policy was imposed from above. If she owned the place, she wouldn't have bothered to put a lemon wedge in the water she gave Clinton.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Storel

« Reply #222 on: 13 May 2016, 21:40 »

My Uncle Terry was one of the nicest, jolliest fellows you'd ever meet -- and he had the thickest, bushiest eyebrows I have ever seen on any human being, real or fictional. Even "Mighty Eyebrows" Smitty from Gunnerkrigg Court couldn't surpass him.  :-o My first wife was convinced that he deliberately cultivated them in some way, though I don't know how you would. Maybe a little mustache wax?

About halfway through my thirties some of my eyebrow hairs started sticking out at funny angles, as older people's eyebrows will do, and so of course she diagnosed me with "Uncle Terry Syndrome".  :wink:

And so, Clinton and still-unnamed Bar-lady become like Marten and Faye. Bonded by burning buildings, one kinda quiet, the other loud and violent, these things line up!

I just have to point out that this wouldn't be the first QC relationship that began with a girl's place being on fire. OR EVEN THE SECOND: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1552

Actually, that one was only a false alarm, not an actual fire.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #223 on: 13 May 2016, 21:54 »

Don't know if anyone's said this yet or not, but has anyone else noticed that Beerista's eyebrows have gone from relatively-normal thickness to overgrown caterpillers from 3210 to present?

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but I figured I'd interrupt my break from the forum for that observation.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #224 on: 13 May 2016, 23:44 »

(All this talk about Harpoonista's eyebrows reminded me of the commentary-track by Claudia Christian on a Babylon 5-DVD (Yes, I sometimes listen to the commentary track. Something wrong with that?) on how much the fashion regarding eyebrows had changed since the 90s.)

Personally, unless someone is sporting "The Waigel", I hardly notice ...
(click to show/hide)
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #225 on: 13 May 2016, 23:46 »

I dunno, they're kinda bordering on Waigel-level, to me. Especially compared to how they started.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #226 on: 14 May 2016, 00:00 »

I dunno, they're kinda bordering on Waigel-level, to me. Especially compared to how they started.

Thufir sez:

Always good to have a point of reference ...

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #227 on: 14 May 2016, 00:15 »

Alright. She has nothing on -that-.

Persephiroth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #228 on: 14 May 2016, 03:35 »

I appreciate "let us enjoy it in fiction", but I also don't think it's good to set a precedent of "to be happy, a trans woman must be X, Y, and Z", you know?

Without being ridiculous - and I do ask this as a question, not a statement posed as one - but by this measure, wouldn't any happy relationship a transperson was involved in automatically set a precedent that you 'must be x, y and z' to be happy, regardless of what 'x, y and z' were?

No. I see the point you're trying to make, but given that various media has very set parameters for what trans portrayals are (which is changing, albeit, slowly), there is very little variance. Were there more variety, the precedent wouldn't be as painfully obvious. For example, there are standard portrayals of cis relationships too, but there's enough variety in them that I can't put them in two solid categories.

To the general ether: I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, and I'm not trying to start fights. I'm merely stating my opinion on a portrayal I find slightly bothersome. I am still a fan of the comic and Jeph's writing and art in general. However, I AM a part of the group he is portraying with Claire, and I feel justified stating any misgivings I may have. I don't mean to make people defensive about it--giving a critique does not mean I'm saying the comic is bad, or that Claire herself is a terrible character. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #229 on: 14 May 2016, 05:44 »

That is how I took it.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #230 on: 14 May 2016, 07:44 »

I appreciate "let us enjoy it in fiction", but I also don't think it's good to set a precedent of "to be happy, a trans woman must be X, Y, and Z", you know?

Without being ridiculous - and I do ask this as a question, not a statement posed as one - but by this measure, wouldn't any happy relationship a transperson was involved in automatically set a precedent that you 'must be x, y and z' to be happy, regardless of what 'x, y and z' were?

No. I see the point you're trying to make, but given that various media has very set parameters for what trans portrayals are (which is changing, albeit, slowly), there is very little variance. Were there more variety, the precedent wouldn't be as painfully obvious. For example, there are standard portrayals of cis relationships too, but there's enough variety in them that I can't put them in two solid categories.

To the general ether: I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, and I'm not trying to start fights. I'm merely stating my opinion on a portrayal I find slightly bothersome. I am still a fan of the comic and Jeph's writing and art in general. However, I AM a part of the group he is portraying with Claire, and I feel justified stating any misgivings I may have. I don't mean to make people defensive about it--giving a critique does not mean I'm saying the comic is bad, or that Claire herself is a terrible character.

1. Nobody that I saw was getting defensive, if they were then we'd step in because you weren't being an instigator. Many of us as mods criticise the comic for all sorts of reasons, many far less valid than yours in particular, and I'm pretty sure Jeph himself welcomes these discussions when they remain civil, or at the bare minimum is used to them by nature of having been putting this comic online for over a decade.
2. As a member of that group you refer to, your opinion carries significant weight in a which mine, as a member of LGBTQI but still cis male, does not, which is why we value your insight on matters such as this.
3. In response to your answer to my particular question, I do see your point - quite frankly as someone relatively new to all the concepts of trans in general (I've only really known about any of it for three to four years, more or less since my return to this forum in late 2012), I see barely any portrayals of trans people in the media, even though they are increasing every day as best as I can see it. All I was thinking was a response to something our very own ZoeB posted a while back when Claire and Marten first began as a couple, in which Zoe's argument in favour of their relationship running smoothly was that this would be the only example she knew of for a cis/trans relationship running smoothly in the media, and so however that was going it was still a step in the right direction. For me, and I know we are a LONG way away from this, the ideal would be simply that transfolk were so accepted that it doesn't need to be a storyline focus, it simply is, and that's cool, as is any kind of loving, legal relationship.

In fairness, I apply that principle to all sorts of different minority things. One of my favourite things about an old animated series called Home Movies was that the main character had a younger, mixed-race, adopted sister. The adoption and her racial background were acknowledged perhaps once in four seasons that I remember, and never featured in a storyline. It was simply a fact of their family that she was adopted and mixed race, and that was fine. It didn't NEED to be a storyline. And I loved that because too often people in real life, and especially in the media, become only what they are instead of who they are. Everything has to be a storyline rather than merely a character trait that is just accepted and then doesn't require in-depth acknowledgement.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Storel

« Reply #231 on: 14 May 2016, 13:54 »

(click to show/hide)

Thufir sez:

Always good to have a point of reference ...

Okay, that's almost certainly movie make-up, but even so I can finally say I've seen a fictional human being with bushier eyebrows than my late Uncle Terry. Most impressive!

Still looking for a real human who can beat him, though. And no, the Waigel brows didn't quite make the cut.

Persephiroth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #232 on: 14 May 2016, 22:25 »

Thrillho: Haha, Home Movies. I completely forgot about that show.

And to your point, yes, that is true, but there also problems in not acknowledging things, which can lead to all sorts of erasure. That is a little bit further than I think is needed for this discussion, though.

As for media portrayals of trans people, thank god they're increasing. There is so much media misinformation about trans people that people take to heart, and I really hope that switching the narrative will eventually help with that.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #233 on: 15 May 2016, 12:37 »

The Great Game X-Over Poll Results
1. The Sims - 30 (22.1%)
2. Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball - 20 (14.7%)
3. Kerbal Space Program - 16 (11.8%)
4. Pokémon - 15 (11%)
5. Fallout - 14 (10.3%)
6. Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter - 11 (8.1%)
7. Civilisation/Age of Empires - 9 (6.6%)
8. Other (please specify in comment) - 8 (5.9%
9. Legend of Zelda - 7 (5.1%)
10. X-Com - 5 (3.7%)
11. RWBY - Grimm Eclipse - 1 (0.7%)

Well, the poll result is pretty unequivocal this week with more that one in five voting for our winner! Modders, get developing those QC characters and houses for The Sims! You have a lot of customers waiting for you on this site at least!

As for the runner up? Well, all I can say is that it doesn't surprise me in the slightest! :evil:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up