THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 20:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The PT410X thread: Linux/BSD and Open Source Software for users and beginners!  (Read 38427 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Pretty much. Well, it's Poettering software, so what else would one expect.

I still resent him for bringing shame on my first name…

I once tried to get used of that resampling. I spent a few hours on it and ultimately ended up uninstalling pulse. I'm glad I'm using Arch Linux, so I never even installed Pulse in the first place.

And if I ever need more features than ALSA I'll just use JACK.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Alright, I just updated my server to Debian Jessie (the current stable branch). That was relatively painless. I had to change a few Apache settings, but apart from that the update just went through.

Sadly that means that my server is now also running systemd. But well. At least that's Poettering software which actually has some advantages. I don't like the whole systemd package, but at least the init part of it is relatively practical.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I've been bitten by systemd as well, going from Scientific Linux 6.5 to 7.  But it's here to stay so... <shrug>

The screen built in to my rack at work is seven years old, and is 800x600.  It's a pain these days, but it's still OK to run a Windows install on, or to use when necessary.  However, the current Scientific Linux starts its install with a 1024x768 graphical screen, so even though I want a non-graphical setup, I can't install it without plugging in a spare monitor, which is pretty inconvenient in the server room.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I'm actually very intrigued by uselessd, a fork of systemd which reduces it to its bare core, the init system. That would be a real improvement over sysvinit in my book, and it cuts away all the magic I don't want.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Things I've already done today:

• Leased a dedicated server
  • Installed FreeBSD on it
  • Managed to get Syncthing up and running
  • Managed to set up Apache, PHP, MySQL
  • Managed to get an Ampache up and running

Seriously, I'm starting to love FreeBSD. It feels so much more clean and structured compared to the chaos of the GNU/Linux userspace. I mean, of course that's kinda the point with BSD, but still, amazing.
Also: Ampache is the best thing ever, and together with Syncthing I now have my music wherever I want and synchronised on all my devices. And I can share music with people without having to use external hosters! It's amazing!

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

My everyday, carry-everywhere machine is an Eee 1000h netbook I found in a university dumpster some months ago - XP refused to boot. So I put Crunchbang on it and upgraded it both with a small SSD and some memory I  had spare.  I now use if for email and light Matlab development, even though the resulting numbers from the Matlab 'bench' command are somwhat painful.

The only real downside is the machine has a Norwegan keyboard - someday I'll get round to binding the Ć Ř and Ĺ keys to something useful.

Of course, Crunchbang is no more. Disappointing as I really really liked it.   Any suggestions as to where to go now? What's lightweight and similar? The SSD is big enough for several small Linuxes.

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2015, 03:34 by katsmeat »

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I upgraded to Linux Mint 17.2 on Saturday.  It works fine enough on my laptop, but for some reason it's slightly flaky on my desktop.  I'm currently doing a backup to downgrade my desktop back to 17.1.   I should have done a backup BEFORE I upgraded to 17.2.  Hindsight is 20/20.

Stoon

My everyday, carry-everywhere machine is an Eee 1000h netbook I found in a university dumpster some months ago - XP refused to boot. So I put Crunchbang on it and upgraded it both with a small SSD and some memory I  had spare.  I now use if for email and light Matlab development, even though the resulting numbers from the Matlab 'bench' command are somwhat painful.

The only real downside is the machine has a Norwegan keyboard - someday I'll get round to binding the Ć Ř and Ĺ keys to something useful.

Of course, Crunchbang is no more. Disappointing as I really really liked it.   Any suggestions as to where to go now? What's lightweight and similar? The SSD is big enough for several small Linuxes.
My old netbook eMachines 355 running an Atom N455 processor and 1GB RAM ran Linux Mint 17.1 32 bit no problems before it died.  It's ever so slightly better performance-wise than your machine, but your machine is a lot more energy efficient.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/710/Intel_Atom_N270_vs_Intel_Atom_N455.html

<shrug>

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

My old netbook eMachines 355 running an Atom N455 processor and 1GB RAM ran Linux Mint 17.1 32 bit no problems before it died.  It's ever so slightly better performance-wise than your machine, but your machine is a lot more energy efficient.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/710/Intel_Atom_N270_vs_Intel_Atom_N455.html

<shrug>

A slightly depressing thing somebody pointed out to me is that his phone is at least an order of magnitude more powerful than the nebook.

But it's still useful enough for me to solder a appropriately sized plug onto a spare 12v power brick a couple of days ago, to replace the Eee's own psu which died on me.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I had been doing dist-upgrades on OpenSUSE for the past several versions, and had been dealing with quite a number of annoyances for some time now on my desktop.  Instead of just doing a clean install and clearing out most of the dot files in ~/ , I decided to give Mint KDE a shot.  I figured, "what the hell, should be easier to get the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, and maybe Pipelight will actually work properly"…  I should have taken the installer as a bit of a warning, but pressed on.  After a full backup, I even nuked the HDD that has ~/, and went through the pain of restoring everything.  I am finding myself missing many of the features already.

Since then, I'm seriously considering the switch back, doing the clean install that I should have done in the first place.  Probably will require another restore from backup.  I can compile the gfx drivers myself.  I'll keep giving Mint a try until next week, just to let myself get used to a different way of working, and see if I can overcome my habits and see if my "problems" from habituation can be overcome.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Stoon

The problems I was having with Linux Mint 17.2 only my desktop apparently were caused by my NVIDIA video card.  They seemed to have fixed it with 17.3.  Works great.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Odd.  I've never had a real problem with the Nvidia cards on Mint.  And I'm actually in the midst of the computer chugging away dding a backup to switch back.  Partially because IME, KDE isn't just an afterthought, and the Build Service.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2016, 14:30 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I had to give up on an old notebook yesterday. The partner of my mother wanted to have Lubuntu on his old Notebook. So far so good, but X only ran with the VESA driver. I looked into lspci to discover that the notebook had a GPU from SiS, a SiS 671Gx to be precise. There is no xserver-video-sis package in the Ubuntu repos, so I found an article describing the driver availability for this hardware. Long abandoned by the manufacturer, not common enough for people to write an open source driver for it, the only way to get it running was supposedly to install the driver RPM from Mageia. After fiddling with alien a while I got it installed. As the driver was named differently from the name X expects I had to create an xorg.conf with a full Device, Monitor, Display and Screen config. Rebooted, and it froze long before the X server was even supposed to start. In the failsafe mode it booted, but the screen was really glitchy and unusable. I looked into the logs and found out, that the ABI version of the xorg server was too recent. It seems you can only use this driver on Ubuntu up to version 12.04.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I just made the switch to OpenSUSE Leap, in hope that drivers for my Wacom tablet will land before they do on Mint.  Well, that last bit didn't work out so well, save that they'd actually compile, but hope springs eternal.  It *is* however my first experience with Plasma 5.  Now I had been a KDE 3 holdout until a couple of years ago, and now that I had finally stopped complaining about 4, now 5 has a few things that are already driving me spare.  The top of the window menubar failing to work as of now is one of the big ones.  It's not as critical on my desktop where I have two large screens, but the Mac-like menu is pretty much needed on a laptop.  Oh well, I can wait.  Most distros are still using older versions of KDE.

The good: Very clean, very stable, fast even with all the eye-candy.

The bad: Much of the desktop is less configurable, and more than a few things had to be done to make it stop looking completely flat. 

Oh well, back to trying to get that tablet to work.

Edit:  Wacom tablet is now working quite well.  Now I just need to configure the thing.  Sadly, with all the time I have spent trying to find an "easy" way to do it, I could have just fixed the config file.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2016, 16:25 by hedgie »

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker
  • I certainly hope he got both eyes.
    • My url for random crap (yes i know its empty)

I, to this day, still despise SiS with a passion. (also love the graph)
I use linux mint as my main distro on a Lenovo x220 which works really nicely (and play on windows works flawlessly with SWTOR).
Got 2 Jump vms at work with CentOs 7 (shell only) and Ubuntu 15 which has OpenBox installed (got really into OB)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Hopefully that wasn't a recent install of mint  :evil:

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I heard it only affected versions taken from the web, not torrents.

This reminds me tho. I finally got around to set up my Debian partition into "user accepting" state (that being with a proper sudoers file and all). Installed the thing like 8 months ago, might be time to dist-upgrade next time I boot it up.

On the question of "why Debian", used to have #! and thought I'd need more VM stuff in my degree. On the question of "why 8 months without using it", I didn't need more VM stuff in my degree. On the question of "What desktop manager are you using?", I chose Cinnamon for two reasons:
1.- Installed Mint (also forever ago) on my sis' laptop (it's old, circa 2004) so I thought that having a similar desktop would help for phone customer service.
2.- Installed Mint on my sis' laptop and the interface was so beautiful
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker

I had mint installed before Christmas and just upgraded. Also Cin is very beutifull and just nice to use. that combined with Guake :3

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Ofc, guake (or any dropdown terminal really) is a must once you first use it. Even if you don't do much console stuff, it just makes life that much easier.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Agreed.  I'm ashamed to admit that having used some *nix variant since 2001 (Mac), and Linux since 2008 that it wan't until last year that I actually discovered Yakuake.  I find myself using terminal applications *more* now than I did before[1].  Far less clutter on the second display, and not having to muck around with a bunch of GUI apps to do the same thing.

[1] Right now, I have 2 terminals split in each tab.  shell/rootshell, emacs/mc, pine/yast, htop/iftop, and irssi/finch

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker

ah good old irssi. might make an IRC server if im bored again now.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Once you start using tiliing WMs, you don't need dropdown terminals anymore. Mod + Enter opens a new terminal immediately on most, and if you need to switch back and forth between a terminal and something different, you just switch to a different workspace.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

If I was able to tile display 2, but not for the other, I'd try it, since it'd make life easier.

Rhodderz

• Not quite a lurker

I used guake alot that i find it oddly nicer. Also i may of got bored. Built an IRC server (which people are free to use) and then started building a irc bot called Zuth.....which has a command !pintsize...........

<Rhodderz> !pintsize
<Zuth> I'm always naked!

i have a list of quotes but if you have more that should be added im willing to add them.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Hmm.  A good idea.

So this evening, I found yet another attempt to recreate all the functionality of Opera 12.x, Otter (otter-browser.org).  It's not as polished as Vivaldi yet, and doesn't support extensions (both a good and bad thing).  But I never *needed* extensions in opera since there was already built-in popup blocking, and the option to only load plugins on demand.  It looks like when it's finished, I won't *need* addons.  Always a plus in my book.  It's also much snappier than Vivaldi, so I'll probably switch when it's complete.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Using a rolling version of *nix now (Opensuse Tumbleweed, instead of it's versioned Leap).  I'm impressed so far.  Now I just need to get the system to a "normal" state for me.

Tumbleweed Diary the first:
On day two, there was a *massive* update.  I already knew going in it that I'd have to rebuild my nvidia drivers, but I had time to do that before bed.  Oh gawds, the black screen (after bootloader, after unlocking drives, before a login prompt).  Me:  Oh fuck.  Conveniently, the bootloader allows me to go back to a system snapshot.

Unfortunately, that meant a fair number of numbered but unnamed snapshots which I had to do a split-search through in order to find the most recent working one.  From now I'm probably going to name 'em before a major update.  I have three naming conventions to choose from: pleading, pleas to the gods, and swearing.

Additional: 
After about a month, I'm quite liking TW.  I haven't had any issues that I wasn't forewarned about, and even those were pretty minor.  Everything is quite stable, especially for being so close to the bleeding edge.

Edit again:  new laptop arrived, and is now dual-booted b/n TW and ugh, I hate to type this, but Win 10.  it may come in handy at some point.  Still, the dual-boot was easy enough to do now that I know what I'm doing, and I don't expect to be using windows much, but it may come in handy for some of my Steam games.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2016, 10:14 by hedgie »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up