THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 03:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is going to let Brun stay with them? (Two choices)

Hannelore (Because two strange girls make for plenty of interesting stories)
- 17 (16.7%)
Dora and Tai (Why not?)
- 0 (0%)
ClaireMom (She has rooms free now, after all, and she thinks having a roommate will make Chad more circumspect)
- 18 (17.6%)
Veronica (Because it turns out she has lots of savings and can easily afford the lease when VV moves out)
- 3 (2.9%)
Dale (Because he needs a house-sitter when he's at Marigold's place)
- 8 (7.8%)
Marten and Faye (Because who needs living space anyway?)
- 5 (4.9%)
Steve and Cossette (Surprise!)
- 4 (3.9%)
One of Brun's out-of-town friends (Because 'out of town' doesn't mean 'out of reach')
- 14 (13.7%)
Corpse Witch ("I'm always here for you, Little Miss!")
- 7 (6.9%)
The other new character from Jeph's development sketches (Because he really is rejigging the cast)
- 17 (16.7%)
Elliot from the Secret Bakery. Everybody loves Elliot, right?
- 9 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3231 - 3235 (30th May to 3rd June 2016)  (Read 64469 times)

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT Strips 3231 - 3235 (30th May to 3rd June 2016)
« Reply #300 on: 04 Jun 2016, 22:23 »

Stand down.  You know who I think are WORTHY of seeing my comments?

Do you even know who I am?

Eh, you'll figure it out.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #301 on: 05 Jun 2016, 00:35 »

Wouldn't the discussions be spoilers?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #302 on: 05 Jun 2016, 00:44 »

I agree that it would be pretty hard to discuss it without pretty much giving it away.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #303 on: 05 Jun 2016, 03:04 »

The benefits of the Patreon are a privilege given in exchange for your contributions; it would be an abuse of that privilege to discuss privileged matters outside the paywall.  If you feel the comments areas are not enough you could ask Jeph to set up a forum for Patreon subscribers, I suppose, or you could wait a day before discussing the comic (I presume its content will be as worthwhile tomorrow).  It would technically be possible to set that up within this forum, but it would need considerable work to integrate access to the Patreon login server to make it practical.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #304 on: 05 Jun 2016, 03:55 »

For what it's worth, I am happy to wait until I can discuss it with all forumites.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #305 on: 05 Jun 2016, 06:27 »

The benefits of the Patreon are a privilege given in exchange for your contributions; it would be an abuse of that privilege to discuss privileged matters outside the paywall.
I honestly don't get this logic, though. How is it different from say, discussing Game of Thrones with someone who doesn't have HBO? Or buying an issue of a comic book and showing it to a friend?
Wouldn't the discussions be spoilers?
Yes, but we have spoiler tags that can be clearly marked.
(click to show/hide)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #306 on: 05 Jun 2016, 06:55 »

I honestly don't get this logic, though. How is it different from say, discussing Game of Thrones with someone who doesn't have HBO? Or buying an issue of a comic book and showing it to a friend?

I think the difference is subtle, but still there:  what the patrons have paid for is not the comic; the comic is free.  The patrons are seeing the comic early because the artist has decided to give them that reward for donating.  Displaying or discussing the early comics ahead of when they are published for free sort of negates the reward aspect, in my opinion, and so it's less about sharing something you've bought than going against the wishes of the artist.

Again, that's all opinion - I don't have a window into Jeph's intentions, or know how he feels about the issue.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #307 on: 05 Jun 2016, 07:05 »

It also matters who the creator is.

HBO won't be sunk by people discussing Game of Thrones episodes during an early release period.

Jeph could be.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #308 on: 05 Jun 2016, 07:12 »

I think this is all fairly petty. Can't you just wait 24 hours to talk about it?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #309 on: 05 Jun 2016, 07:13 »

I think the difference is subtle, but still there:  what the patrons have paid for is not the comic; the comic is free.  The patrons are seeing the comic early because the artist has decided to give them that reward for donating.  Displaying or discussing the early comics ahead of when they are published for free sort of negates the reward aspect, in my opinion, and so it's less about sharing something you've bought than going against the wishes of the artist.

Again, that's all opinion - I don't have a window into Jeph's intentions, or know how he feels about the issue.
I'm a patron of both QC and DoA, and in the DoA thread, I tend to write a response and just keep the tab open until it goes "live" and then post.  It's just basic courtesy. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #310 on: 05 Jun 2016, 07:20 »

Unless you're using Tapatalk.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #311 on: 05 Jun 2016, 07:49 »

As long as people don't leak the comic itself, I'd say commenting on it, even transcribing it textually would be okay and would only promote the patreon. It would be unconvenient for the non-patrons, but hey, Shelby must eat.
Man!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #312 on: 05 Jun 2016, 12:21 »

We are missing the one opinion that actually matters here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #313 on: 05 Jun 2016, 12:32 »

Not really.  Does the process of joining the Patreon give you access to stuff that people who don't contribute do not have access to?  Yes.  There it is - Jeph has taken the trouble to restrict certain content at certain times, so distributing it (or engaging in discussion that could give it away) is clearly going against his wishes.  This is plain.

Do you sign any terms and conditions when you join the Patreon?  What do they say?  (I mean Jeph's, not Patreon's which are almost entirely about themselves).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #314 on: 05 Jun 2016, 12:45 »

hey, Shelby must eat.

I think you mean "Shebly".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #315 on: 05 Jun 2016, 12:51 »

so distributing it (or engaging in discussion that could give it away) is clearly going against his wishes.  This is plain.

The first, distribution, absolutely. I hope few are going to dispute that. (Someone is bound to, there are always Google's useful idiots who believe (although they don't often realise it) that creators shouldn't be paid, only advertising billionaires)

The second I can imagine going either way, in that discussion (ie spoilers) before release might discourage readers altogether, or alternatively might motivate more signups.  However to my mind only the creator's opinion on the matter has value. Without his OK I submit its better manners to keep quiet.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #316 on: 05 Jun 2016, 13:01 »

Do not spoil upcoming pages you've seen on Patreon. Do not talk about upcoming pages you've seen on Patreon. Wait until the page goes live. This is not something that's difficult or needs discussion. By being a Patreon member you get the privilege of seeing the pages a day early. With that comes a responsibility not to be a jerk to Jeph and spoil his comic.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #317 on: 05 Jun 2016, 13:33 »

(click to show/hide)

Spoiler tags? Then I must resist pressing them. Also don't quote posts that have spoiler tags as you'll see the content.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #318 on: 05 Jun 2016, 15:03 »

Fair enough. I'm ok waiting.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #319 on: 05 Jun 2016, 22:43 »

I would post an unspoiler i.e. A teaser reference to something that isn't in the comic such as

"I thought Jim and Veronica were getting on well."
"Poor Henry, to die of drink and agriculture."
"Why is Pintsize green in panel 7?"

In order to annoy the non-patreon fans.  Just a privilege of membership.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #320 on: 06 Jun 2016, 05:35 »

I mean, is it really okay to show Hanners using a rectal thermometer on Clinton to determine his level of hotness?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #321 on: 06 Jun 2016, 05:54 »

So THAT'S why the bar burned down. RIP Coffee of Doom.  :cry:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #322 on: 06 Jun 2016, 23:36 »

Do you prepare your questions too? Usually I get to ask them one thing (if I'm lucky) as I don't come up with any follow up question easily, especially if they ask me something in return. But recently I'm going over entire dialogue trees as well, and figured out you can force a certain dialogue path if you ask things you already know.
I do try to predict where a conversation could go and have some answers ready. It can get extremely quiet around me and I have to remind myself to keep giving and asking for information even though I don't really need that data. Small talk was very difficult but it's gotten easier because of the repetitive dialogue.

Ditto.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #323 on: 07 Jun 2016, 06:37 »

It took me a while to realize that lots of people get uncomfortable when no speaking is happening.  It was a very frustrating thing to understand because mostly the pauses were happening because I was trying to think of something I could say that wouldn't make them uncomfortable. 

So I watched to see how other people handle it and eventually learned a repertoire of irrelevant but non-threatening noises to make.  I really dislike it when people make irrelevant noises at me, but I suppose that's because I never really perceived silence as threatening.

It all comes under making allowances.  People make the noises because they think I'll be reassured by them.  I can forgive that.  And I like it when people aren't threatened, so I can make the noises too even if I don't like them.

Sort of a catch-22.  And I'm not even anywhere on the Autistic spectrum, I'm just "incompletely socialized." 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up