Analysis of Clinton continues
Mystical Spathe Ham with Pizza and Lattes
Ohm mani Padma Ohm
Only The Architect knows
Mystical Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Jeph is God
Jeph is Life

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3241 - 3245 (13-17 June 2016)  (Read 64288 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 3241 - 3245 (13-17 June 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 14 Jun 2016, 17:43 »

ZoeB has mentioned here that she takes her son to father-son events. That's an example of a woman being a father figure.

Though this is obviously playing the role of a father in this specific event, I'm not convinced that this makes the woman a father figure to the child. It makes her a good mother, though.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #51 on: 14 Jun 2016, 17:58 »

The smile Faye has in the last panel though, it's so happy it might hurt someone.. though this wouldn't be abnormal for Faye I guess.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #52 on: 14 Jun 2016, 18:26 »

TacAirBnB?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #53 on: 14 Jun 2016, 18:43 »

The one under the airport in Seattle is C(++)TacAirBnB.  :claireface:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #54 on: 14 Jun 2016, 18:58 »

Ohmigod.  So THAT'S why they're finally allowing Gays in the military! 

If their 'genetically enhanced supersoldiers' can't join the military, then they'd have to muster out as civilians and the top secret program's cover is blown. 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #55 on: 14 Jun 2016, 18:59 »

That... that is NOT the Renee we were looking for.  :?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:02 »

ZoeB has mentioned here that she takes her son to father-son events. That's an example of a woman being a father figure.

Though this is obviously playing the role of a father in this specific event, I'm not convinced that this makes the woman a father figure to the child. It makes her a good mother, though.

Here's the exact quote:
Quote from: ZoeB
I will always be his father, both biologically and socially. He will always be my son. In a more sane world, I'd be his mother, but he already has one of those, and this universe is one of the weirder ones.

Bubbles is all set to be a strong and dependable presence in Faye's life, possibly a protective one. The Pugnacious Peach does have a hole in her emotional life shaped like that, where her father used to be.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #57 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:04 »

No, she doesn't appear to be the Renee from the Secret Bakery. Could be wrong - I mean, look how much Cosette's appearance has changed since she was first introduced. But for now I'm assuming she's a different person unless Jeph tells us otherwise.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #58 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:04 »

I think the reason nobody ever trusts me is that when someone asks if I'm a murderer and I tell them I'm not, I always add "as far as I know" to the end of that statement.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #59 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:28 »

i'm wondering what Renee's relationship is to Brun. At a guess, I'm thinking not immediate family (though this could be wrong). Therapist? Social worker? Old friend? Also, did Brun rescue the soggy phone number from the shower?

Renee, aside from being overprotective, seems destined to get into a confrontation with someone in the main cast. Maybe Claire, if Renee goes on the warpath accusing Clinton of being a sexual predator. Or maybe even Emily. May the wild rumpus begin.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #60 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:31 »

Here's the exact quote:
Quote from: ZoeB
I will always be his father, both biologically and socially. He will always be my son. In a more sane world, I'd be his mother, but he already has one of those, and this universe is one of the weirder ones.

Okay, this makes it pretty clear that taking her son to a father-son event is not why she is a father figure. I'm sure there are mothers out there who take their son to father-son events without being father figures. "ZoeB is an example of a woman being a father figure" would have been more accurate.

There's every reason to think Faye accepts Bubbles as a woman.

A woman, though, can be a father figure.

If the purpose of this post is to suggest obliquely that Bubbles could be a father figure, then you've failed to make your case. The reasons why ZoeB is a father figure don't (AFAIK) apply to Bubbles and Faye.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #61 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:43 »

For comic #3243...

If someone asks you if you are a murderer, they have to tell you.

Also, if someone asks if you are a god, remember to avoid the incorrect marshmellow-kaiju-summoning response.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:43 »

Pretty sure that's the same Renee, she just grew her hair out and got contacts over the same length of time Faye hulked out.  She's even got the same piercings.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #63 on: 14 Jun 2016, 19:52 »

Same piercings, same skin tone, same name. I don't have any reason to think it's a different Renee.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #64 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:03 »

That... that is NOT the Renee we were looking for.  :?

As the above folk have said, I'm not so sure it isn't. We can't know until she meets Marten and the gang, which would happen because Clinton stowed Brun's belongings at CoD.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #65 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:09 »

Yeah, I think this is the same Renee.  It would be pretty weird on Jeph's part to create a new black character with the same name.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:15 »

As the above folk have said, I'm not so sure it isn't. We can't know until she meets Marten and the gang, which would happen because Clinton stowed Brun's belongings at CoD.

Clinton returned Brun's stuff to the hotel. It is not at CoD anymore.

My bet is that it's the same Renee.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #67 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:29 »

YES, Tova, Brun's stuff is no longer at CoD. That wouldn't stop Renee from using them as a method of locating Clinton, which is what I was thinking.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #68 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:33 »

Also, it seems while Faye bulked up, Renee put on a tiny bit of weight, either that or just art difference. But either way I absolutely love her design. :3

Also love how she doesn't look like some Faye doppelganger anymore
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2016, 20:54 by TheCollector »

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #69 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:35 »

I got no problem with your 'spoiler,' TheCollector. Others might. I still have no idea what the context is. Context makes story. I still no nothing about tomorrow but baking.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #70 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:41 »

Do not talk about stuff you see as a Patreon member. Even  something as vaguely contextless as this. Seeing the comic a day early is a bonus and benefit of being a Patreon donor. Talking about the stuff you know because of that is rude to Jeph.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:44 »

I don't think Patreon material should be spoiled, even minor (?) details. Maybe consider editing that out of your post?

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #72 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:45 »

And the mods have spoken.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #73 on: 14 Jun 2016, 20:46 »

If the purpose of this post is to suggest obliquely that Bubbles could be a father figure, then you've failed to make your case. The reasons why ZoeB is a father figure don't (AFAIK) apply to Bubbles and Faye.

Bubbles could be, as a strong dependable presence, for someone who has been searching for one for a long time.

The Pugnacious Peach has even turned to Bubbles for emotional support, as when she went back to Coffee of Doom. That implies there's a side of Bubbles we haven't seen, perhaps one that would make her the kind of person to turn to when you accidentally kill Kenny Wallace's goldfish.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #74 on: 14 Jun 2016, 21:42 »

Not even with the cool design update I'm going to like her character. Looking forward for further introduction with the rest of the cast though!

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #75 on: 14 Jun 2016, 21:56 »

Who knew Brün was friends with Raven-Symoné?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #76 on: 14 Jun 2016, 21:59 »

i'm wondering what Renee's relationship is to Brun. At a guess, I'm thinking not immediate family (though this could be wrong). Therapist? Social worker? Old friend? Also, did Brun rescue the soggy phone number from the shower?

Renee, aside from being overprotective, seems destined to get into a confrontation with someone in the main cast. Maybe Claire, if Renee goes on the warpath accusing Clinton of being a sexual predator. Or maybe even Emily. May the wild rumpus begin.

If she's a therapist then she's not a particularly good one.  Being overly cautious is one thing, but she comes off as paranoid.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #77 on: 14 Jun 2016, 22:00 »

I'd been working off the assumption it was a different Renee, though I guess it's plausible they are the same. Assuming Chad the hunky boy-toy is the same as Chad the dorky store clerk, then we seem to have a certain latitude with character design.

Still wondering what Renee's connection to Brun is. (Although not interested enough to want Patreon spoilers.)

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #78 on: 14 Jun 2016, 22:06 »

If she's a therapist then she's not a particularly good one.  Being overly cautious is one thing, but she comes off as paranoid.

If I may defend Renee here, she knows nothing about Clinton, and there are plenty of predators out there. And Brun could well be vulnerable to them. The apartment above the bar arrangement suggests Brun was placed in the job/living setup by some sort of social services arrangement. Though I guess it does seem a bit strange that you'd place a vulnerable autism-spectrum client in a dive bar.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #79 on: 14 Jun 2016, 22:27 »

I'll have to agree there.  From Clin-ton's perspective it's mostly an annoyance, even if Brun didn't have social difficulties her Renee is right to be concerned.  In my own experience, it's better to look out for one's friends.  I've *been* in his situation[1] where after having to get my friend cut-off at the bar on her birthday, convinced her to have a couple of glasses of water whilst waiting for a taxi.  Her BFF[2] didn't trust me.  Yeah, it cost me in extra cab fare since I had to carry instead of one drunk person up to her flat there were two, and make sure that their flatmates were taking care of them.  Do I understand why her other friend thought the way that she did?  Hell yeah.  I would have done the same thing.

[1] nothing burning down, but dealing with someone who was in a vulnerable position
[2] I *really* hate that term, but it applies here
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #80 on: 14 Jun 2016, 22:33 »

So is no one going to talk about that breath-taking painting on the wall? That aside Renee (old or new) seems a bit less violent in this, probably as she's now actually next to Brun. Hopefully everyone keeps a level head.

kryptoknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #81 on: 14 Jun 2016, 23:06 »

I think Renee is totally justified in her caution of some strange guy who was with her friend through a very vulnerable moment.

Also, sort of unrelated, is anyone else finding Renee almost distractingly attractive?  Because daaaaaaaaaang.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #82 on: 14 Jun 2016, 23:16 »

She certainly does care about Brun, which is a good thing.

But I get the feeling she can be a bit over the top at times.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #83 on: 14 Jun 2016, 23:33 »

Fun fact about the german language: We dont even have a word for "creep". Well we have words for specific types of creepy behavior, such as "Spanner" for "Peeping Tom", but not a general term. Also "creepy" can only be very rudimentally translated as "gruselig", "schauerlich" etc, but that actually means only "eerie", not really "creepy".
Carpe Diem

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #84 on: 14 Jun 2016, 23:34 »

She must be fun at parties.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #85 on: 14 Jun 2016, 23:41 »

Ah! The joys of paranoid ideation, where denial is a confession and lack of evidence of a worst-case interpretation is suspicious!

In Renee's defence, she doesn't know Clinton or anything about him other than the fact that he inserted himself into Brun's life when she was at a low, vulnerable spot. A good friend should be at least concerned! I'll reserve judgement until we see how she reacts to him in person and whether she'll give him a chance.

FWIW, I'm expecting a show of protective aggression followed by suspicious glares and fretting.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2016, 23:52 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #86 on: 14 Jun 2016, 23:50 »

So is no one going to talk about that breath-taking painting on the wall?

Mine...

Or did you mean the empty sea painting? I think the ship went down with the bar.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #87 on: 14 Jun 2016, 23:52 »

Same piercings, same skin tone, same name. I don't have any reason to think it's a different Renee.

There are better images of her here and here.  Considering how much Jeph's art has changed since then, as well as the fact that even series regulars like Dora seem to change from one appearance to the next, I guess it's not too much of a stretch to say it's the same Renee. 

Which means that Marten's ex-girlfriend's ex-coworker and Marten's girlfriend's brother's once-bartender are friends, and this meeting between the two of them is probably the furthest removed from the original main cast (Marten/Faye/Dora/Steve) as we've ever been.  Weird but cool, eh?
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #88 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:06 »

The real question is of course if Renee would be as paranoid about a girl helping Brun?

Also, with all the AI talk lately, I wonder if Jeph watches Person of Interest?

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #89 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:40 »

Re: father figure: how about parental figure? Being a strong and grounding presence could just as well be a mother.

Renee: she's about as infuriating as the time we met her.  I get that she's afraid for Brun, but Brun has to make her own decisions on who to trust, and her criteria are pretty good - he was helpful, he didn't try anything, and he respected her wishes. Renee acts like this kind of paranoia is normal, but it really isn't; and she doesn't help at all calling Clinton a creep or maybe-murderer. She could help Brun hammer out a road map on what to do next, or what to do if she's ever in a similar situation again, but nah, she likes Brun depending on her...

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #90 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:59 »

"That Clinton creep." Renee has never met him and knows nothing except that he helped her friend in a crisis. Reasonable caution is fair enough; immediate certainty of bad intentions based on no evidence at all is not.  Whatever her (or Brun's) experiences the belief that everyone else in the world is evil is close to mental illness, and would make the holder intolerable company.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #91 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:03 »

Just a shot in the dark: I think it might be interesting if Renee has her own reasons for being suspicious of a helpful stranger. It could make for an interesting story if Renee tries to tolerate Clinton for Brun's sake but is constantly flashing back or reliving abuse that she suffered for trusting the wrong person. Then it stops being the aggressive, obstructionist friend and starts being about a woman trying to handle her own demons whilst still trying to be a to a vulnerable friend.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #92 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:28 »

Yes, my only proble is if enough QC time has passed for her to grow such long hair.
Man!

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #93 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:39 »

The apartment above the bar arrangement suggests Brun was placed in the job/living setup by some sort of social services arrangement.
Wouldn't be that unusual over here - or at least wasn't when I was younger. I've worked at shops which were converted houses with upstairs rooms hardly used for the business, and letting a member of staff who's OK as a keyholder live in them informally means there isn't a need to modify the building to provide separate access and there's someone you know on site. Much less work to do that than do a proper conversion with separate entrances for a tenant who's nothing to do with the business. I suppose it might be legislation has made that sort of casual arrangement more difficult these days.

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #94 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:51 »

Brun has good, if not particularly strident friends.  Best new character in some while.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #95 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:28 »

Yes, my only proble is if enough QC time has passed for her to grow such long hair.

It's been at least two time skips since we saw her, I think, so that shouldn't be a problem.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #96 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:48 »

I think people are getting "strong" mixed up with "masculine".

I think people are getting shitposting mixed up with a serious contribution to the discussion, unless I misinterpreted the original comment that spurred this sidebar on.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #97 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:53 »

Re: father figure: how about parental figure? Being a strong and grounding presence could just as well be a mother.

Renee: she's about as infuriating as the time we met her.  I get that she's afraid for Brun, but Brun has to make her own decisions on who to trust, and her criteria are pretty good - he was helpful, he didn't try anything, and he respected her wishes. Renee acts like this kind of paranoia is normal, but it really isn't; and she doesn't help at all calling Clinton a creep or maybe-murderer. She could help Brun hammer out a road map on what to do next, or what to do if she's ever in a similar situation again, but nah, she likes Brun depending on her...

The subtext here is that at some point, Brun's been taken advantage of. If, as some on here have speculated, she's on the autism spectrum, she might be quite easy to take advantage of if she fails to understand threats or subtext or sarcasm or all sorts of intonations and emotions.

Corsair

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:54 »

Does Renee's behavior towards Brun remind anyone else of Corpse Witch's behavior towards Bubbles?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #99 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:54 »

Does Renee's behavior towards Brun remind anyone else of Corpse Witch's behavior towards Bubbles?

No. Because I think Renee's comes from an area of genuine concern.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up