The Fighting Arena
- 1 (1.3%)
Other
- 3 (3.8%)
The Quarry
- 1 (1.3%)
Emily's Holiday House
- 2 (2.5%)
The Horrible Revelation (the pub that Will works at)
- 5 (6.3%)
The Park where Emily got bitten by a snake (such pretty scenery)
- 2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3246-3250 (20-24th June 2016)  (Read 45121 times)

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish
Re: WCDT Strips 3246-3250 (20-24th June 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 22 Jun 2016, 09:45 »

So, essentially, Clinton's quick thinking (and relative sobriety) allowed him to herd everyone out of "The Burning Bar" (we never did hear the name, just that it was near the bus station).

Glad some of the denizens are reappearing though. 

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
  • My Seedbox Can Beat Up Your Seedbox
    • Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner
« Reply #101 on: 22 Jun 2016, 09:54 »

Barry's gonna get a spin off, isn't he?

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #102 on: 22 Jun 2016, 10:00 »

I'd like to see Alice Grove dealing with him.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #103 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:21 »

Already happened.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #104 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:45 »

Already happened.

He doesn't look too bad for someone over 5000 years old. 

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #105 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:52 »

Quote from OED:
OE. wið = OFris. with, OS. wið, ON. við (Sw. vid, Da. ved): app. a shortening (peculiar to the Anglo-Frisian and Scandinavian areas) of the Com. Teut. *wider- (see s.v. wither a. and adv. and wither-1), perh. taking place orig. in compounds (cf. with- and the parallelism of OE. wiþcéosan and wiþercéosan to reject, wiþstandan and wiþerstandan to withstand, etc.).

Maybe someone understands that  . . .

Interesting. "Ved" in Danish means "by". Both close to, as in "by the house" or "by the city", and abstractly as in "by caution and constancy". But now we are getting very far from the topic of this forum.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #106 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:58 »

It's interesting (to me anyway) that wall-eyes have become artist shorthand for "crazy".  Whenever you see a wall-eyed person in a comic, he (or she) is crazy.  It's a trope.

That particular affliction has affected NONE of the many crazy people I've known.   Uh, long story.  Won't go into it here.  But I've known a LOT of crazy people.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #107 on: 22 Jun 2016, 12:00 »

I'm pretty sure that for Hannelore it is just a matter of being nice to people, something which she always tries to do. That said, it would be heart-warming in some way if she were to express a sense of kinship toward Elicott-Chatham AIs as being sort of distaff siblings.

They would be sword-side siblings.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #108 on: 22 Jun 2016, 13:03 »

It's interesting (to me anyway) that wall-eyes have become artist shorthand for "crazy".  Whenever you see a wall-eyed person in a comic, he (or she) is crazy.  It's a trope.

That particular affliction has affected NONE of the many crazy people I've known.   Uh, long story.  Won't go into it here.  But I've known a LOT of crazy people.

I think of it more as the still -picture version of the spinning googly eyes of animated cartoons.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #109 on: 22 Jun 2016, 13:10 »

Please tell me that shirt will eventually be for sale.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #110 on: 22 Jun 2016, 13:11 »

Where the word "with" comes from is unclear to me, it doesn't sound like it's related to either 'med/mit/mee' or 'avec', not even to 'cum'.

Quote from OED:
OE. wið = OFris. with, OS. wið, ON. við (Sw. vid, Da. ved): app. a shortening (peculiar to the Anglo-Frisian and Scandinavian areas) of the Com. Teut. *wider- (see s.v. wither a. and adv. and wither-1), perh. taking place orig. in compounds (cf. with- and the parallelism of OE. wiþcéosan and wiþercéosan to reject, wiþstandan and wiþerstandan to withstand, etc.).

To translate from "linguist" to "English", in case someone is interested:

"ð" is the voiced form of "th" (so it's to "th" what "d" is to "t" or what "z" is to "s"). "þ" is the letter originally used for what became "th".

*wider- means that the form is reconstructed/guessed from later forms, that is - we don't know the original form, but that's our best approximation. Hence the asterisk. The form is parallel to the modern word "wither".

Originally, the word was possibly part of compounds, which is to say something made up of two combined words, but working as a single word (similar to "bathhouse" or "boytoy"). This can be compared to "with-" and the feature of Old English where various word structures using the same beginning were possible (by analogy or parallel to each other). The relevant examples from Old English are words like "wiþcéosan" (pronounced roughly "with-KE-osan") and "wiþercéosan" ("wither-KE-osan") meaning "reject", as well as "with-stand-an" and "wither-stand-an" meaning "withstand". Basically, it illustrates the use of the parallel "with/wither" as a beginning of multiple words.

As an additional comment, Old English had verbs that were conjugated (they had changing forms, mostly endings, depending on the role in the sentence), "-an" was the default, basic form that was replaced based on the rules of grammar. Modern English mostly dropped verb forms, unlike other Germanic languages.

DISCLAIMER: it's been almost a decade since I last used any of my linguistic knowledge for any reason and my knowledge is spotty, I might be getting some things horribly, terribly wrong.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #111 on: 22 Jun 2016, 14:46 »

Where the word "with" comes from is unclear to me, it doesn't sound like it's related to either 'med/mit/mee' or 'avec', not even to 'cum'.

Quote from OED:

Here's a better one:

Old English wið "against, opposite, from, toward, by, near," a shortened form related to wiðer, from Proto-Germanic *withro- "against" (source also of Old Saxon withar "against," Old Norse viðr "against, with, toward, at," Middle Dutch, Dutch weder, Dutch weer "again," Gothic wiþra "against, opposite"), from PIE *wi-tero-, literally "more apart," suffixed form of root *wi- "separation" (source also of Sanskrit vi, Avestan vi- "asunder," Sanskrit vitaram "further, farther," Old Church Slavonic vutoru "other, second").

Sense shifted in Middle English to denote association, combination, and union, partly by influence of Old Norse vidh, and also perhaps by Latin cum "with" (as in pugnare cum "fight with"). In this sense, it replaced Old English mid "with," which survives only as a prefix (as in midwife). Original sense of "against, in opposition" is retained in compounds such as withhold, withdraw, withstand. Often treated as a conjunction by ungrammatical writers and used where and would be correct. First record of with child "pregnant" is recorded from c. 1200. With it "cool" is African-American vernacular, recorded by 1931. French avec "with" was originally avoc, from Vulgar Latin *abhoc, from apud hoc, literally "with this."

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #112 on: 22 Jun 2016, 14:53 »

she should open a second shop next to COD called Coffee of Nice and let people pick their experience

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #113 on: 22 Jun 2016, 14:54 »

Yay for Barry

Maybe he was rescued by Dolphins  ;D

Who are you and what have you done with the real Dora?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #114 on: 22 Jun 2016, 16:17 »

I learned "distaff" as simply a metaphor meaning "pertaining to women". The antonym is supposedly "spear", but you don't really hear that, because men are regarded as the standard, from which women have to be distinguished. Of course. :roll:  I've never heard the term "distaff sibling", but if I had, I'd have read it in the sense of all women being sisters.

You know, looking at that chair with Bubbles sitting in it, it has to be a custom job, made to fit her. Bubbles sitting is only slightly lower than Hanners, a tall woman, standing (though leaning forward slightly). Imagine how high the back of that chair must be.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #115 on: 22 Jun 2016, 16:47 »

You know, looking at that chair with Bubbles sitting in it, it has to be a custom job, made to fit her. Bubbles sitting is only slightly lower than Hanners, a tall woman, standing (though leaning forward slightly). Imagine how high the back of that chair must be.

Possibly constructed in situ to save having to try to get it through the front door.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #116 on: 22 Jun 2016, 17:33 »

I'm a bit uncertain as to Bubbles' scale; she's well-proportioned but her size as drawn is indeterminate to me; she seems to vary between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 meters tall. 

The chair, though, is probably the same size as the one I'm sitting in right now.  I'm just over 2 meters tall, and at my heaviest (When I was weightlifting and also fat) I massed about 200 kilograms.  (These days I mass just over half that.)  But anyway, at my heaviest,  I got kinda sick of small and/or fragile furniture and started keeping an eye out.  You can find this kind of chair new, but they command high four and low five digit prices in USD.  I wasn't ready to spend that.  But a year later I also found three at an estate sale, and over the course of five years, another couple in thrift stores, where they had high two or low three-digit prices in USD.  Those I bought.

The arms on the sides (on all examples I've seen anyway) are detachable by pulling two levers inside; without the arms they fit through any ADA-compliant (36 inch / 92 cm) doorways.  They'd have no trouble getting it into any building that could be licensed for a coffee shop.

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2016, 17:39 by Morituri »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #117 on: 22 Jun 2016, 17:59 »

Thing is, COD is likely built in a very OLD building. Even here in Wisconsin, places like the coffee shop are buildings constructed over a century ago - though likely remodeled heavily since then.

In Massachusetts, a building like the one that houses COD may have been built in the early-to-mid-19th Century.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #118 on: 22 Jun 2016, 18:03 »

That being said, the front door of CoD looks like it's a modern width.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #119 on: 22 Jun 2016, 18:31 »

Knew a guy in high school who had that. Eventually he had surgery to fix it. He WAS crazy, but then so were all the rest of us.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #120 on: 22 Jun 2016, 19:21 »

Comic's up.
(click to show/hide)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #121 on: 22 Jun 2016, 19:25 »

Is it just me, or has Emily merged herself with Dora? The things she can do with her programming...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #122 on: 22 Jun 2016, 19:30 »

She's now the merger of Dora, Emily and Cosette. Doremette. (Cosdorily?)

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #123 on: 22 Jun 2016, 19:42 »

I think Jeph's building up to CoD becoming an important part of the local community, perhaps particularly for AIs.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #124 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:06 »

Dora's face is weirding me out. One Panel will read as classic Dora, the next panel Dora will have Emily's face. Then the next panel switches back.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #125 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:11 »

Man, they're growing up. Most of them.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #126 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:12 »

I think Jeph's building up to CoD becoming an important part of the local community, perhaps particularly for AIs.

Didn't know they had that many AIs frequenting it unless Bubbles isn't the only one there to sniff tea. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #127 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:26 »

Momo. Possibly May. Gary showed up at least once to get coffee for his boss. Enough show up that Hanners knew they liked the scent of tea and had blends they would enjoy on hand.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #128 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:28 »

Man, they're growing up. Most of them.

I think Faye's grown up a bunch. Which is why she wants that comfortable constant to come back to when everything else in her life has changed.

She is happier, healthier and friendlier than she was this time last canon year. I don't think wanting an anchor for all of it is a sign of immaturity so much as humanity.
oh god

Hotel Papa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #129 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:35 »

"Raisin d' être". Really? Is that supposed to be Faye being sarcastic (doesn't really fit the sobriety of her sentiment), or i it a honest typo?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #130 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:37 »

I see this more as Dora realising that insulting customers was not going to be useful in the long run. Dora's been running Coffee of Doom for how long? Back when she was still in a Goth phase I suppose. Despite what people might think, Dora has grown somewhat and has gotten to a point where she's realised that she's making her own environment toxic and in turn that toxicity is coming back to her. Plus I would imagine that in a town like that, self-owned coffee-shops like Coffee of Doom are niche, especially compared to massive franchises like Starbucks, its already difficult enough as it is.

Look at the coffee-shop itself, the colours itself present a place that is warm and welcoming. It just looks like Dora is finally catching up to the image of Coffee of Doom she's been presenting for the past few years.

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #131 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:38 »

I'm actually a bit surprised that Dora didn't offer to sass Faye as a customer service perk.

Faye: It's just not right! This is Coffee of Doom, I want coffee AND doom!
Dora: Well, since it's you, we'll throw in some doom for 50 cents.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #132 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:48 »

"Raisin d' être". Really? Is that supposed to be Faye being sarcastic (doesn't really fit the sobriety of her sentiment), or i it a honest typo?
Notice that she said "raisin d'entree", which looks to me like a deliberate error, along the lines of "much grass" for "muchas gracias".

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #133 on: 22 Jun 2016, 20:55 »

I don't know French especially, but wouldn't that translate as 'Reason for dinner?" I'm just thinking, since the correct version would mean 'reason for entering,' or something to that effect.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Hotel Papa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #134 on: 22 Jun 2016, 21:07 »

Notice that she said "raisin d'entree", which looks to me like a deliberate error, along the lines of "much grass" for "muchas gracias".
I noticed that upon reading it a second time. Has it always been that and I misread it the first time, or has Jeph modified it to make the sarcasm more clear?

Hotel Papa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 22 Jun 2016, 21:11 »

I don't know French especially, but wouldn't that translate as 'Reason for dinner?" I'm just thinking, since the correct version would mean 'reason for entering,' or something to that effect.

the usual phrase "raison d'être" means "the reason for being", so the "justification for a thing existing"

humorous "raisin d'entree" is roughly "dried grape for a starter"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #136 on: 22 Jun 2016, 21:15 »

In 2555 Dora says the building is a hundred years old.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 22 Jun 2016, 21:46 »

It is, in fact, "reason for entering."  As in reason for entering the cafe. :-D

Apologies to my USA friends, but entrée does not mean "dinner."

Edit: I think to be correct it should really be "raison pour entrer," but my French is very rusty. It's an amusing pun nonetheless.
Edit 2: Or maybe it really can be raison d'entrer. I give up and let someone with actual French knowledge step in.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2016, 21:53 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #138 on: 22 Jun 2016, 21:48 »

Apologies to my USA friends, but entrée does not mean "dinner."

WHAT.

My life is a lie
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 22 Jun 2016, 21:52 »

Sorry.  :cry:

An entrée is more like a starter. I never understood the whole "entrée = main course" thing. If someone does know...

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #140 on: 22 Jun 2016, 22:10 »

We call starters appetizers.  Or hors d'oeuvres (and they say English is messed up...).  I've also only ever heard entrée be used to describe the main course.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #141 on: 22 Jun 2016, 22:40 »

I hope this is leading to a storyline where a brash young up-and-comer with fire in her belly turns up on the scene to challenge Dora for the coffee crown.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #142 on: 22 Jun 2016, 22:41 »

As Jeph's note says: "Faye is good at French"
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #143 on: 22 Jun 2016, 22:45 »

Sorry.  :cry:

An entrée is more like a starter. I never understood the whole "entrée = main course" thing. If someone does know...

Maybe it dates to when restaurants used to have multi-course meals, as opposed to an appetizer and a main dish? And then it was scaled down until there was only the first (appetizer) and second (entree) course?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #144 on: 22 Jun 2016, 23:03 »

That seems vaguely plausible.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #145 on: 22 Jun 2016, 23:34 »

Change is a difficult thing to handle, especially if you leave and come back some time later to find it has already happened! I'm sure that this situation wouldn't be so discombobulating for Faye if she'd been a regular and only experienced the changes incrementally. As it is, she's having to adapt to total change in one visit!

It looks like I was right yesterday to speculate that Dora did this for the sake of her mental health. I also suspect that Tai will turn out to be a factor - It's hard to be continually angry when your personal life has got so much happier!

Still, yeah; Faye's just learned that, after you leave for a long while, you can't come home again.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #146 on: 23 Jun 2016, 00:31 »

In English, entrée means "main course".  In French, entrée means "starter".  How this happened, probably the same way "pants" came to mean two very different items in American English and British English.  The French makes more sense: the course by which you enter the meal.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #147 on: 23 Jun 2016, 00:46 »

"Tres good at French" is the better gag.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #148 on: 23 Jun 2016, 00:48 »

I'm English, and I've never encountered entree except as a starter. Time to fall on etymonline again!

entree (n.)
    1724, "opening piece of an opera or ballet," from French entrée, from Old French entree (see entry). Cookery sense is from 1759; originally the dish which was introductory to the main course. Meaning "entry, freedom of access" is from 1762. The word had been borrowed in Middle English as entre "act of entering."

I like this thread.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #149 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:00 »

The OED places the entrée neither as the starter nor the main course: "a dish served between the fish course and the main meat course at a formal dinner".  It also comments that in NA it is used for the main course of a meal.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up