The Fighting Arena
- 1 (1.3%)
Other
- 3 (3.8%)
The Quarry
- 1 (1.3%)
Emily's Holiday House
- 2 (2.5%)
The Horrible Revelation (the pub that Will works at)
- 5 (6.3%)
The Park where Emily got bitten by a snake (such pretty scenery)
- 2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3246-3250 (20-24th June 2016)  (Read 44991 times)

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT Strips 3246-3250 (20-24th June 2016)
« Reply #150 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:39 »

FWIW, the Wikipedia page states that the word entrée originally meant the ceremonial "entrance" of dishes to the dining hall and came to denote a heavy meat course. It stays close to this early meaning in USA and parts of Canada, denoting the main dish; in modern times, it means "introductory dish" in France and the rest of the English-speaking world.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #151 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:42 »

In English, entrée means "main course".  In French, entrée means "starter".  How this happened, probably the same way "pants" came to mean two very different items in American English and British English.  The French makes more sense: the course by which you enter the meal.

Change your first mention of "English" to "American English". Otherwise yes.

In Australia, and also England I think, the meaning of the word agrees with the French.

Is this linguistic oddity* confined to American English? I suspect so.

Edit: Apparently also in parts of Canada.

* Yes, I like that phrase. :)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #152 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:53 »

Is "raison d'être" not a common English borrowed phrase in other parts of the world?  I hear and read it more often in English than I do in French here, usually by managers or reporters trying to be fancy.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #153 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:59 »

Yes, it is a fairly common phrase, like a certain je ne sais pas and savoir faire.

It is "je ne sais quoi", but I am leaving it as a warning against the dangers of careless posting.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2016, 02:07 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

oddtail

« Reply #154 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:01 »

Yes, it is a fairly common phrase, like a certain je ne sais pas and savoir faire.

I thought it was, as a borrowed phrase in English, "a certain je ne sais quoi"?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #155 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:06 »

Don't mind me. Yes, it is.  :roll:

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #156 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:59 »

Sorry.  :cry:

An entrée is more like a starter. I never understood the whole "entrée = main course" thing. If someone does know...

See http://languageoffood.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html for a good run-down of the history of the word. It's more complex than you might think.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #157 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:19 »

"Personne n'échappe à mon regard." is about the only French I hear these days...

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #158 on: 23 Jun 2016, 07:02 »

See http://languageoffood.blogspot.com/2009_08_01_archive.html for a good run-down of the history of the word. It's more complex than you might think.
Interesting. Quite a bit of verbal gymnastics going on there to support the US usage to my mind though.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #159 on: 23 Jun 2016, 15:16 »

It would appear that the fell hand of change is coming to Coffee of Doom as Dora matures and settles down.

I wonder if Bubbles will become a fixture at CoD now she has her own very special chair.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #160 on: 23 Jun 2016, 15:25 »

Interesting. Quite a bit of verbal gymnastics going on there to support the US usage to my mind though.

Seems more to me like a change in the style of serving dinners, with the words not catching up -- thus "entree" stayed with "fancy meat dish" even though that dish took a new prominence and position in the meal.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #161 on: 23 Jun 2016, 17:53 »

"Personne n'échappe à mon regard." is about the only French I hear these days...
En quelle circonstance?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #162 on: 23 Jun 2016, 18:29 »

Aw, come on, Faye. These are *good* things!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #163 on: 23 Jun 2016, 18:38 »

Faye's dislike of change hasn't changed.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #164 on: 23 Jun 2016, 19:22 »

Well, it changes things.

EDIT: Though as much change as Dora is exhibiting would be unsettling, up close and personal IRL.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #165 on: 23 Jun 2016, 19:52 »

I wonder if Bubbles will become a fixture at CoD now she has her own very special chair.

If Bubbles ever decides to change chassis, the old one could actually *be* a fixture.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #166 on: 23 Jun 2016, 20:18 »

I used to feel the way Faye feels, except about indie rock comics turning into slice of life strips

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #167 on: 23 Jun 2016, 20:22 »

Look.  Barry can get a spinoff but PLEASE do not depict the subject matter of his t-shirt.  That's all I ask, I think it's reasonable.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #168 on: 23 Jun 2016, 21:01 »

Wonder if it ever occurred to Faye that the old CoD would be the kind of place that wouldn't be very welcoming to an AI who's working through some serious social issues.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #169 on: 23 Jun 2016, 21:10 »

Look.  Barry can get a spinoff but PLEASE do not depict the subject matter of his t-shirt.  That's all I ask, I think it's reasonable.
Sorry, no can do. Barry's a package deal. By that I mean, a dolphin package deal.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #170 on: 23 Jun 2016, 21:37 »

You no, you should really be more serious about language. You shouldn't just take it for granite.
There's at least 3 other Wapsi Square readers in these forums. How has the pun jar not become manifest here, as well?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #171 on: 23 Jun 2016, 22:49 »

Good morning,

I´m waking up to Britain exitng the EU and Faye and Dora contemplating the pros and cons of change. Kinda appropriate.
Personaly I know change is inevitable but I tend to feel that the negative effects of change outnumber the positive ones.

But speaking of change, Jeph is experimenting with a lot of new facial expressions lately. Yesterday and today it´s very obvious, especially with Dora. In the last panel her smile reminds me of Dori from Finding Nemo.  :-D
That´s a kind of change I like. Although I think he hasn´t mastered all of those new expresions yet. But this certainly livens up the graphics of dialogue-heavy strips like today.

Also a nice bit of information: Faye is still dry. Go girl, you can make it! :-)

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #172 on: 23 Jun 2016, 22:59 »

Ah, poor Faye! Still, that's the nature of kicking a habit; it's the associations that trigger the craving in the worst way. As Hanners suggested a long time ago, she should focus on her real priorities right now - Bubbles and handling the way the world has totally changed without her really noticing!

Personaly I know change is inevitable but I tend to feel that the negative effects of change outnumber the positive ones.

Negative outcomes always outweigh positive ones in the short-term. It takes a while to be able to judge the true result of a change (years, sometimes even decades in the political context). However, in this particular context, I think that time will persuade Faye that these changes are positive; that being happier and her friends being happier are worth the loss of the certainties of the familiar.

But speaking of change, Jeph is experimenting with a lot of new facial expressions lately. Yesterday and today it´s very obvious, especially with Dora.

Yeah; he's being working hard to grow his artistic style recently in lots of ways. There are going to be the occasional missed step or messed-up face or expression but that's inevitable as he learns new things and works out the kins. Overall, I've been finding Faye's elastic face and exaggerated expressions quite intriguing and Dora has looked more beautiful than ever.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #173 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:04 »

Dammit, that's one thought that Faye doesn't need considering her problems with alcahol.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #174 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:11 »

If Bubbles ever decides to change chassis, the old one could actually *be* a fixture.

Unless, of course, someone else wants to move into it. May, for example.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #175 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:11 »

Where the word "with" comes from is unclear to me, it doesn't sound like it's related to either 'med/mit/mee' or 'avec', not even to 'cum'.

Quote from OED:
OE. wið = OFris. with, OS. wið, ON. við (Sw. vid, Da. ved): app. a shortening (peculiar to the Anglo-Frisian and Scandinavian areas) of the Com. Teut. *wider- (see s.v. wither a. and adv. and wither-1), perh. taking place orig. in compounds (cf. with- and the parallelism of OE. wiþcéosan and wiþercéosan to reject, wiþstandan and wiþerstandan to withstand, etc.).

Maybe someone understands that  . . .
Looks like I'm way late to this party, so here are the abbreviations

Abreviations
OE. Old English
OFris. Old Frisian
ON. the opposite of OFF Old Norse
Sw. Swedish
Da. Russian for 'yes' Danish
Com. Teut,. Common Teutonic
OS. Operating System Old Saxon
s.v. [couldn't find]
perh. perhaps
orig. originally
c.f. [couldn't find]

And as a bonus, here's what I got from the 1968 college edition of the 'Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language' (I collect old books).

with (with, with), preposition. [Middle English; Anglo-Saxon, origin, against; in opposition to; probably shortened < AS. wither, against; Indo-European base *wi-, asunder, separate, of which AS. wither, against (German wider) would represent the comparison (dual) form]

*hypothetical

Hopefully this doesn't get moved to Discuss
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #176 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:22 »

I think 'cf' means 'compare,' more or less.

sv... google-fu powers activate!

sv sub verbo, ‘under the word’
http://public.oed.com/how-to-use-the-oed/abbreviations/#s

cf.    confer, ‘compare’
http://public.oed.com/how-to-use-the-oed/abbreviations/#c

There ya go.

Gyrre

« Reply #177 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:42 »

It is "je ne sais quoi", but I am leaving it as a warning against the dangers of careless posting.

....... So for all the shit we Kansans get about "being backwards ⃰", we do a good job at getting French right???
I've only ever heard people say "je ne sais quoi" and I've seen 'entree' used correctly in restaurants (some not all).
The town of La Cygne is said "lă sēn" by the locals, and they say the name of the local landmark Marais de la Cygne "mə-rī dā lă sēn".

To be fair, we're not that great at Spanish. Salina (saw-LIE-nuh) and El Dorado (el doe-RAY-doe). But it's better than Colorado's La Junta (luh-huh-nuh).

⃰specifically for allowing 'intelligent design' to be brought up in public schools, and for the existence of the Westboro "Baptist" "Church". Some even joke it's why Pluto got demoted.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2016, 00:00 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #178 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:47 »

Unless, of course, someone else wants to move into it. May, for example.

Actually, I could see May sitting in Bubbles' lap and looking around defiantly at everyone's surprised expressions.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #179 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:49 »

....... So for all the shit we Kansans get about "being backwards ⃰", we do a good job at getting French right???

Sheesh, sorry.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #180 on: 23 Jun 2016, 23:49 »

@TimeMaster

On the downside to the Brexit, the Australian dollar tanked three cents.

On the plus side, my Patreon is collected in USD! My country's loss is my personal gain!

... now I know how corporations feel.
oh god

Gyrre

« Reply #181 on: 24 Jun 2016, 04:02 »

Sheesh, sorry.

Did a massive edit to my response. My apologies for it seeming curt.

I fumbled my phone and hit 'post' by mistake.
a real-ass gaddam sword

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #182 on: 24 Jun 2016, 05:44 »

You no, you should really be more serious about language. You shouldn't just take it for granite.
There's at least 3 other Wapsi Square readers in these forums. How has the pun jar not become manifest here, as well?
It had, but then someone said to tip it after a pun, and one thing led to another and now there are coins all over the floor.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
  • My Seedbox Can Beat Up Your Seedbox
    • Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner
« Reply #183 on: 24 Jun 2016, 07:02 »

Look at the coffee-shop itself, the colours itself present a place that is warm and welcoming. It just looks like Dora is finally catching up to the image of Coffee of Doom she's been presenting for the past few years.

I don't know about others but red and mustard(?) are not very welcoming to me.

retrosteve

• Very slow tourist
« Reply #184 on: 24 Jun 2016, 08:19 »

Good God, Jeph, what's with the LIPS? Is it just me or have Dora's and Faye's lips grown to mutant mecha size? And begun to eat their faces...

Should I be afraid?
Thinks too much.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #185 on: 24 Jun 2016, 11:29 »

Good God, Jeph, what's with the LIPS? Is it just me or have Dora's and Faye's lips grown to mutant mecha size? And begun to eat their faces...

Should I be afraid?

I noticed that too. I hope he is not having issues with his hand again.

People come to the CoD not for its welcoming atmosphere, people come to get a shot of insultesso. an espresso loaded with insults.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #186 on: 24 Jun 2016, 14:20 »

Look at the coffee-shop itself, the colours itself present a place that is warm and welcoming. It just looks like Dora is finally catching up to the image of Coffee of Doom she's been presenting for the past few years.

I don't know about others but red and mustard(?) are not very welcoming to me.

Those are McDonald's colors and they seem to do quite well for themselves. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #187 on: 24 Jun 2016, 14:55 »

How is mustard a color? Mustard comes in several colors!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #188 on: 24 Jun 2016, 17:30 »

Different shades of mustard.  :mrgreen:

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #189 on: 24 Jun 2016, 18:30 »

I mustard mitt I like those colors.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #190 on: 24 Jun 2016, 22:43 »

Different shades of mustard.  :mrgreen:

Fifty Shades of Grey Poupon
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #191 on: 26 Jun 2016, 12:32 »

Official Poll Results!

1. Coffee of Doom - 30 (38%)
2. The Space Station - 18 (22.8%)
3. Marten & Faye's Apartment - 10 (12.7%)
4. The Library - 6 (7.6%)
5.  The Horrible Revelation (the pub that Will works at) - 5 (6.3%)
6. Other - 3 (3.8%)
=7. Emily's Holiday House - 2 (2.5%)
=7. The Park where Emily got bitten by a snake (such pretty scenery) - 2 (2.5%) *
=9. The Park - 1 (1.3%)
=9. The Fighting Arena - 1 (1.3%)
=9. The Quarry - 1 (1.3%)
12. Sven's house - 0 (0%)

Perhaps it isn't surprising that Sven's house came bottom - the only really significant event to occur there is the Dorapocalypse; proof I think that some wounds run deep for the fandom. That said, I can't help but be puzzled by the fact that it scored worse than the Quarry, a hypothetical location that we've never actually seen in the strip!

* I don't think that the snake bite occurred in a park; I think that there are some wild woods near Northampton where Sam likes to go reptile and amphibian hunting.
~~~~

Storel

« Reply #192 on: 26 Jun 2016, 20:16 »

"Raisin d' être". Really? Is that supposed to be Faye being sarcastic (doesn't really fit the sobriety of her sentiment), or i it a honest typo?
As Jeph's note says: "Faye is good at French"
I'm taking that as "Jeph knows better, but Faye doesn't."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #193 on: 29 Jun 2016, 22:36 »

I agree with what Bubbles is doing but can't explain how it's different from stalking. I mean, I know it is, but can't articulate why.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #194 on: 02 Jul 2016, 09:29 »

...neither can I. I really want to, but I can't.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #195 on: 02 Jul 2016, 10:13 »

Intent, perhaps?  Openness?  Bubbles hasn't followed Faye anywhere she'd reasonably expect to have privacy - public roads and a business that Bubbles doesn't seem to have entered.  Faye is aware that Bubbles is tagging along and has a general idea why.  Stalkers generally don't go up to the person they're stalking and say "Hey, I'm going with you as you go about your business because I'm worried about you."

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #196 on: 02 Jul 2016, 12:35 »

Having been on the receiving end of stalking, intent, openness, and consent are the key factors in keeping it from being stalking. Bubbles has made her intentions and motivations clear and Faye has accepted. Also important is the previously established mutual friendship.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #197 on: 02 Jul 2016, 12:57 »

Stalking is not nearly so much about what you do as it is about what kind of person you are being by doing it.  It's subtle. 

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #198 on: 03 Jul 2016, 06:13 »

Intent is the key. Bubbles is protecting Faye. Faye knows what she's doing is self-destructive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up