THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A newbie from Nova Scotia  (Read 7473 times)

JamesB

• Not quite a lurker
    • Nova Scotia Lasers
A newbie from Nova Scotia
« on: 28 Jun 2016, 20:44 »

I'm new to the forum, but certainly not new to the strip. I've been reading QC since late January 2004. When I started reading the comic, Strip 79 was the most recent.

Started my online strip reading in the late 90s with furry strips like John (The Gneech) Robey's "Suburban Jungle" and "Never Never", Mark Stanley's "Freefall", Bill Holbrook's "Kevin & Kell", etc, etc.

By 2004, I was supplying server space for a number of strips, and John Robey, Mark Stanley, and a many other (mostly furry) comic strip artists were personal friends. These days I am still hosting a number of strips (couldn't tell you how many without going through the server) and have been a moderator on the "Cross Time Cafe" forum for a few years.

I migrated from Australia to Newfoundland, Canada in early 2008. In late 2012, I relocated to Nova Scotia. I'm down in the South West corner, about 3 hours by road from Halifax.

My background is electronics, specifically ground based aviation navigation and communication systems. I've been both a systems installer and a technical instructor. These days I do web maintenance and design and some graphic design work for a local advertising publication, and amongst other things, I run my own LASER engraving business.
James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: A newbie from Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2016, 03:50 »

Nova Scotia is one of my favourite place names.

I have nothing else to add except welcome and stuff.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JamesB

• Not quite a lurker
    • Nova Scotia Lasers
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2016, 06:39 »

Jeph seems to like the place, although outside of Halifax/Dartmouth/Truro, it's extremely rural. We're in a 100+ year old farm house on 10 acres in an area where most of the people are french speaking timber cutters.

Thanks for the welcome.
James

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2016, 11:15 »

Having announced yourself in this thread, you'd better guard your lug wrench against melting. I can't recall whether or not a Faraday shield has helped in the past.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2016, 13:36 »

Welcome aboard the board :)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2016, 14:34 »

Jeph seems to like the place, although outside of Halifax/Dartmouth/Truro, it's extremely rural. We're in a 100+ year old farm house on 10 acres in an area where most of the people are french speaking timber cutters.

Thanks for the welcome.

Those place names really confused me for a sec, since I live about (aboot?) an hour and a half away from Dartmouth, and I was born in Truro - but both in the UK.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

JamesB

• Not quite a lurker
    • Nova Scotia Lasers
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2016, 14:53 »

Thanks for the welcome.

Those place names really confused me for a sec, since I live about (aboot?) an hour and a half away from Dartmouth, and I was born in Truro - but both in the UK.
For anyone from England, Nova Scotia is very confusing. It's like they took a bucket full of place names from England and just scattered them over the Nova Scotia map.  We have a Mersey River with a town called Liverpool at the mouth. Weymouth is the closest villiage to us and in the other direction is Yarmouth. Falmouth is about 2 hours North.

The rest of the place names are either French or First Nation.

However it looks nothing like England (or Scotland). More like the Appalachian trail area on the US east coast.
James

JamesB

• Not quite a lurker
    • Nova Scotia Lasers
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2016, 15:24 »

Nova Scotia is one of my favourite place names.

I have nothing else to add except welcome and stuff.
Thanks.

While Nova Scotia is latin for "New Scotland", you'll also see it in French as "Nouvelle-Écosse". In a few places you'll even see it in Scottish Gaelic as "Alba Nuadh".
James

Pages: [1]   Go Up