THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eid Mubarak!  (Read 6683 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Eid Mubarak!
« on: 06 Jul 2016, 18:06 »

Happy Eid boys and girls :o whether you celebrate it or not, I hope your day was full of good food, good company and good cheer.

Because my countrymen refuse to commit to a date for celebrating Eid until like the day before I've spent the day in a town far from home where my mum celebrated (yesterday) by throwing a dinner party for friends and strangers, with obscene amounts of just the best food in the world, and my dad celebrated (today) in a no doubt less extreme but nevertheless appropriate fashion.

Being a degenerate atheist (or should that be "atheist degenerate"?) I have of course chosen to pig out on iberico washed down with a nice Italian red, but, as a nod to the ME, I had it with a bulgur-chickpea pilaf kind of thing that turned out really well.

Over the past few days, while I've been enjoying my vacation and finding more and more ways to incorporate chicken schmaltz in my cooking, others have obviously not been having a particularly great time. The increasing unrest in Bangladesh recently culminated in a disgusting terrorist attack in Dhaka. Although my family is safe, the future doesn't look all that pleasant for that country and there's no way in hell I'm setting foot there anytime soon. Similarly, the last ten days of Ramadan, considered the most solemn days of all, have seen a surge in atrocities committed by those diseased animals the world knows as ISIS. I'm told they're doing it to get bonus-points.

We're living in fucked-up times, but I figure we can still take a moment to celebrate some of the good things, such as family, friendship, community and hospitality.

Eid mubarak and fuck ISIS. peace
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: Eid Mubarak!
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2016, 20:35 »

开斋节好!

To the Muslims of China (assuming they are speaking Mandarin) it is 开斋节 (kāizhāijié or "Break Fast Festival"). Best wishes to you and your family.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2016, 02:25 »

I tried Ramadan a few years back and it is not. Easy. And given the lunar calendar cycle it's going to be defiantly not easy for a few more years.

Eid Mubarak all.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2016, 05:22 »

Eid Mubarak

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2016, 06:57 »

Ah. The lack of vowels in the Arabic language is hilarious.

And being Turkish, imma gonna say bayramınız mübarek olsun instead.

but I'm way too late anyway.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2016, 09:44 »

I'd almost forgotten that it was time for round 2 of Eid but I remembered just in time, and to celebrate this joyous day my wife and I have dressed up in burkinis and hatred to make tortured lamb biryani with chickpeas, dried Bengal plums and my favourite variety of sharia rice (Chinigura, smuggled from the ethnic food shop of the old child-molesting goat-son in the subway station near my mum's place). We're trying to go easy on the boozing these days but I've found a non-alcoholic champagne that actually tastes good and though it's always sad to not celebrate with family this certainly isn't the worst meal I've cooked in the war against Western values :o hope y'all are having a good day wherever you may be.

Now just counting down till the first terrorist attack of the day.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2016, 11:07 »

make tortured lamb biryani with chickpeas, dried Bengal plums and my favourite variety of sharia rice

A number of things I made are tortured as well (or at least that's what they tasted like)
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2016, 15:47 »

September 15th is Moon Festival for we sinister Orientals. Who knows what we are thinking as we walk the streets of your cities, behind our blank, inscrutable faces and hooded eyes? And what are these strange cabalistic signs we carve into the ritual foods we display at this time of year? Surely they're coded messages of our secret global conspiracy...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2016, 18:58 »

Take all of my likes, you sinister fiends.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2016, 20:51 »

Mmmm... tasty secret messages
https://youtu.be/msQPHxTUgzI
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2016, 23:36 »

Akima: seriously though, what do those say and what are they?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2016, 05:29 »

I think maybe they are moon cakes?

I only say this because I found this comic today.

Remember: moon cakes last forever.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2016, 23:16 »

Sorry, Loki, I missed your question.

They are mooncakes, representing the full moon to which Mid-Autumn Festival, AKA Moon Festival, is tied. They are the traditional treat at this time of year. The characters refer to the paste with which the "cakes" are filled, green-tea (on the left) and sesame-seed (on the right). Sometimes the characters are a proverb, and sometimes just the name of the bakery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up