Faye comes clean to Marten - Hugs ensue
Faye returns to CoD and has 'The Talk' with Dora
Brun goes to CoD with Renee in tow to find Clinton - Renee freaks
Pintsize with more butts
Nothing in this Poll
Spathe Pizza with Waffles, Spathe Ham and Lattes
Purple Monkey bar wiper

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3261-3265 (11-15 July 2016)  (Read 39303 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
WCDT Strips 3261-3265 (11-15 July 2016)
« on: 10 Jul 2016, 14:08 »

Poll is a Poll
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3261-3265 (11-15 July 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2016, 15:04 »

I really wish I'd could see what Bubbles sees after sniffing whiskey, but I don't think it will happen this week if at all. 

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2016, 15:26 »

> Brun goes to CoD to find Clinton with Renee in tow - Renee freaks

Why on earth would Clinton have Renee in tow?

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2016, 17:23 »

Brun would have Renee in tow. English  syntax is full of ambiguity.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2016, 18:08 »

A remarkable example of ambiguity is
"Mississippi Police Officer Allows K-9 to Maul Man's Testicles Before Shooting Him 4 Times"
which doesn't specify either who got shot or who did the shooting.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2016, 18:40 »

Any case, both of my selections have the same number of votes as the number 1 most voted, so I feel smart.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2016, 18:53 »

The fact that we are still getting installments of the Brun story mean she'll at some point have dealings with the rest of the cast. Her only real contact in the main cast is Clinton, so we can assume poll choices 2 and 7 are inevitable (although whether Renee will cross paths with Clinton is less certain).

I'm looking forward to Brun having to choose between Renee and Clinton at some point. Clinton will have to look less overbearing that Renee to win that one.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2016, 18:58 by jheartney »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2016, 18:54 »

Brun would have Renee in tow. English  syntax is full of ambiguity.

Two ambiguities in this case.

"Brun goes to CoD to find Clinton with Renee in tow"
  • The placement within the sentence of "with Renee in tow" makes it appear to apply to Clinton.
  • The result of this is to then interpret the verb "to find" to mean "discover."
You could stick a comma in there I suppose, but I would suggest:

"Brun goes to Coffee of Doom with Renee in tow to find Clinton"

As a bonus, it now sounds like the first line of an epic poem.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2016, 19:28 »

I'm looking forward to Brun having to choose between Renee and Clinton at some point. Clinton will have to look less overbearing that Renee to win that one.

For my money? At this point, Clinton is winning.
Emily is the Avatar.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2016, 20:41 »

Does Dora know about Faye's dad?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2016, 23:16 »

I know what I'd like but I'm not sure what to expect. Jeph does have a talent for the unexpected. I do like the idea of Renee having a serious freak-out at CoD being a bizarro mirror of tSB. Compare her colleagues with the CoD girls whilst Brun and Emily get into a strange conversation about Clinton.

Does Dora know about Faye's dad?

I don't think that it has ever been established. However, given how long that they've known eachother, I'd expect Dora to know what happened, even if she doesn't know the details.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2016, 00:03 »

...okay, the phone is one thing, but where the address is concerned, what the hell did she expect?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2016, 00:22 »

I agree. I mean, Renee woke Brun up and give her all this paperwork to fill out. What did she expect Brun to do with it?

I get the impression Renee would have been equally upset if Brun hadn't filled out the paperwork.

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2016, 00:24 »

Also, Patreon subscribers now know the name of Brun's former bar.  8-)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2016, 00:42 »

So the rest of us will know it tomorrow?

oddtail

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2016, 00:45 »

I agree. I mean, Renee woke Brun up and give her all this paperwork to fill out. What did she expect Brun to do with it?

I get the impression Renee would have been equally upset if Brun hadn't filled out the paperwork.

Brun seems to be a very direct person and I'm not sure if it would be in character for her to do that...

...but part of me wonders if that's her way of getting revenge for being woken at such an ungodly hour. A "I'm doing exactly what you want me to, be careful what you wish for" kind of deal.

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2016, 00:49 »

Well, Renee, maybe next time you start pushing someone to finding a job a day or two after her last job burned down, you'll think of getting them a phone first.

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2016, 00:59 »

So the rest of us will know it tomorrow?

Yup, barring server meltdown.

Or... you could pay Jeph one buck, and know right now.

https://www.patreon.com/jephjacques

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:07 »

Today, Renee learns that 'give them a list of contacts and leave them to it' is a bad strategy for supporting jobsearch. She's ahead of the curve there; it usually takes the Department of Work and Pensions about three months per client to figure that out!

So, I'm guessing that Renee's phone has one of those training assistant apps with biometric sensors? It might be interesting if it has AI and the little guy decides to 'adopt' Brun. Imagine her going through life with a perpetually-cheerful 'interpreter' of things that confuse her attached to her arm. If nothing else, its suggestions would make dates... interesting:-D It would also be heartwarming to see a strip or two of her discussing attraction with her companion and how to deal with it.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:19 »

1. 'Brunee' is an amazing portmanteau
2. I love Renee's ringtone. It's the perfect one to get across how annoying all these calls will end up being.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:35 »

I'm guessing we should call it "Ishmael."  If that's not the case, I'll be extremely disappointed.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:35 »

What does it say about someone that they have the Space Jam theme as their ringtone?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:40 »

That they like shitty films?  Or do enough drugs to make them amusing?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #24 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:00 »

Wait you were giving Brun job notices before she had even gotten her essentials back together?

That's... okay you probably deserved this outcome a little.
oh god

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #25 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:55 »

...but part of me wonders if that's her way of getting revenge for being woken at such an ungodly hour. A "I'm doing exactly what you want me to, be careful what you wish for" kind of deal.

I'm going to say that's exactly what it is.   And it makes me smile.  Passive-aggressive really works as a primary coping mechanism for Brun.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:56 »

I can't believe i am going to say this....renee is doing the responsible thing. Its brun that doesn't seem to have anything in order. I know that her place of work and residence has burnt down, but its her last address not renee's place.

That ringtone....sounds like the one the girl with juicy on the pants (hanners nemesis) would use.

You all.remember the dream where martin is riding the whale? Well brun's would be riding a harpoon. Why? Becuase she is stuck up.a creek without a paddle.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #27 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:20 »

The replacement phone issue is confusing me slightly. I know it's perfectly possible to keep your phone number and get a new handset, but in order to do that, wouldn't you need to either pay for the new handset, or have good insurance pay for the replacement? I haven't gone back through the whole fire storyline yet, but I seem to remember Clinton mentioning insurance at some point, and Brun's reaction giving the impression that she didn't have insurance? In any case, most insurance takes a lot of sorting out, I imagine. So neither option seems like a walk in the park right now.

I dunno, I guess I just figure that if Renee thinks she's so darned organised, shouldn't she have been helping Brun sort out insurance first? To get this kind of thing in order before she starts scrambling for a new job/unemployment benefits with incomplete contact information?

If it's possible for Brun to get a new phone quicky and easily, then fair enough. Not sure what Renee expected her to do about the address though. What other address is Brun supposed to use at this point? Surely a current postal address is more important on this kind of paperwork than a last known address that has since burned down. I'm not in the US though, so I may be mistaken about that.

(Edited for a typo).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #28 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:36 »

A temporary forwarding order to the Post Office from the burned-down address to Renee's would work.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #29 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:47 »

A replacement phone (or at least a number) needs about 10 minutes, really. She just would have needed to get out of the house, since you actually have to buy a pre-paid sim and a phone. She even could have asked Renee to get one for her, since she was outside working out anyway. I mean, Renee does seem a bit overbearing but does she really have to think of everything?

...I don't deal well with passive-aggressiveness. I hope the storyline hops back to anybody else really soon (...how's Steve doing? Still cereal?)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:54 »

I can't believe i am going to say this....renee is doing the responsible thing. Its brun that doesn't seem to have anything in order. I know that her place of work and residence has burnt down, but its her last address not renee's place.

Yes, but she is applying for a job and if there is a background check involved human resources may think she's lying by using an address that no longer exists, however, I think it is more insight into Brun's mentality.  If the application requests her present address then she would write down Renee's because it is her present address.  It may not even be passive aggressive, but just the way she does things.   

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:54 »

Aha, thank you. We have a similar thing in the UK, where you can tell the PO to forward mail to another address for varying amounts of time. I've only done it once myself, and I must admit that option hadn't occurred to me. Still, you have to fill in forms, and it takes a few days to take effect, so depending on the timeline here I still think Renee is being a tad unreasonable.

I'm not hating on Renee here, and we know so little about Brun and Renee's history and friendship at this point that I may be taking an uncharitable view here. I just get the impression that she's one of those people who allows her own love of organising and/or being in charge to override the effort it would take to genuinely help a friend in the best way for that friend.

gopher

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:59 »

Is the Ren/Bru plotline the longest we have had without a "central/existing" character interacting with them?

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #33 on: 11 Jul 2016, 04:00 »

A replacement phone (or at least a number) needs about 10 minutes, really. She just would have needed to get out of the house, since you actually have to buy a pre-paid sim and a phone. She even could have asked Renee to get one for her, since she was outside working out anyway. I mean, Renee does seem a bit overbearing but does she really have to think of everything?

It was the money side I was thinking of, really. I'm assuming Brun doesn't have much ready cash on hand, and maybe she had to max out a credit card to pay for the motel? Although, maybe you can still get basic model pre-paid handsets for a minimal amount of cash?

ETA: The way I see it at the moment is that Renee is presenting Brun with a bunch of stuff to do, in a way that implies Renee sure knows what she’s talking about. But if Renee’s so great at getting everyone’s life in order, you’d think it would’ve occurred to her that Brun doesn’t have a current working handset. So maybe she should’ve told Brun to get that sorted out first, in order to make the next steps run more smoothly.

Again, not hating on Renee. It’s just that at the moment, her strong-arm method doesn’t seem to mesh with the attitude of a friend who’s really thought things through. That being said, this is obviously an upheaval for Renee as well, so I’m more than willing to cut her some slack.

ETA2:
Yes, but she is applying for a job and if there is a background check involved human resources may think she's lying by using an address that no longer exists, however, I think it is more insight into Brun's mentality.  If the application requests her present address then she would write down Renee's because it is her present address.  It may not even be passive aggressive, but just the way she does things.   

I believe I would do the same thing in this situation. I'm not always a particularly direct person, but in Brun's shoes I would assume that the most useful address to provide would be an existing address where I can at least be sure of receiving mail. As Is It Cold In Here pointed out, a forwarding order would probably work, but I can't say that would have occurred to me in this situation. As it stands, I see Brun's actions as pragmatic rather than passive-aggressive. I suppose time, and more comics, will tell.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2016, 04:35 by SeaWoodStage »

Milayna

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jul 2016, 04:36 »

Brun looks perfectly reasonable to me. She is answering the questions that are asked as truthfully as is possible. especially bearing in mind that the she can probably work out that the purpose of the questions is to confirm her valid existence and to contact her. Even if their systems don't reject "None" - technically, the MOST truthful responses - it obviously wouldn't satisfy the purpose of the questions.

And why would she think it would be a problem with Renee? Politeness might dictate that she should verify with Renee first, but Renee wasn't available, so a simple calculation (Renee would be upset if I hadn't done what she woke me up early to do, and might be upset if I user her contact information without explicit confirmation, but if she expects me to do this she implicitly confirms that I have permission to do what is necessary to complete it) leaves little doubt as to the right course of action.

Brun didn't know anything about insurance, and is probably used to people informing her of what actions she needs to take as Renee did last comic and Clinton did when he got the hotel, so I highly doubt she knows about post office forwarding (and who would try to contact her by mail for a job opening anyway? The point is to have a valid, googleable, permanently-existing address to verify she probably actually exists, isn't it?) or phone replacement. I mean, *I* didn't know anything about those until I read this thread. If it were me, and I had no money, I'd just assume it was bridge-camping until a friend came back.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jul 2016, 05:45 »

Are we having a QC reset? The comic started with the burning of faye's apartment and her subsequent rental with marten. I doubt its a feset becuase unlike marten, Renee is nowhere near interesting.

Footnote: I went to a early screening of ghostbusters this morning.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jul 2016, 06:14 »

I'm impressed that Brun is getting callbacks so quickly. What is she going for, more bartending gigs?

She'll need proof of employment to look for rentals, so the job hunt has to start first. She could do the address forwarding thing online, I believe.

heyjames4

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jul 2016, 06:41 »

I'm excited to see more Brunee hijinks. I'm excited to see more dynamic character poses and art.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jul 2016, 06:42 »

The Red Cross covered the cost of the hotel.

For the phone.... Ugh. I'm kinda surprised she didn't have her cell phone ON her. I can see Renee not anticipating that the phone would have been lost in the fire as well.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jul 2016, 07:00 »

Depending on the employer, some are not allowed to have their cells on them. Leads to the question, how did that fire spread so quickly?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2016, 07:20 »

She'll need proof of employment to look for rentals, so the job hunt has to start first. She could do the address forwarding thing online, I believe.

Do they not have guarantors in the US?

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #41 on: 11 Jul 2016, 07:35 »

Guarantors? Please explain.

And since as I'm not sure what you mean, there's a good chance that Brun doesn't know about this any more than she knew about insurance for her phone. So, yeah, she'll need proof of employment to get a new place of residence, which means getting a job first. Renee will just have to deal with calls to her phone for Brun until then.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

oddtail

« Reply #42 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:28 »

Depending on the employer, some are not allowed to have their cells on them. Leads to the question, how did that fire spread so quickly?

Building fires can actually spread much, much quicker than people realise. If some furniture, or something else that is highly flammable, in a room is on fire, in some cases you might have less than a minute to leave before you pass out from the rising air temperature. If there's a fire in a building that cannot be put out instantly and people don't leave in a short few minutes, their lives are in immediate danger, either from heat, toxic gases, or oxygen deprivation.

A random video from a Google search that illustrates how rapidly fire can spread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsaLCdC3iWw

There are similar videos to be found online, and in general the time between something large catching fire and a huge flame appearing (hot enough to be harmful from radiated heat alone) is no more than a minute or so. The whole room can be ablaze within 2-3 minutes.

And in a bar, I'd wager there are a lot of flammable objects to catch fire quickly.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #43 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:28 »

In the UK, if you have no salary or a salary too low to qualify for the lease you want, someone you know can act as a guarantor - someone who does fit the profile and takes responsibility for the rent if you default on it.

Random832

« Reply #44 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:43 »

Renee clearly didn't think this through. Most people would have asked about the phone and pointed out the problem with expecting her to fill out job applications with her own phone number before getting a replacement phone. Brun just solves the problem. Much more efficient.

And, "I don't think you're supposed to" what? Nobody actually cares about your living arrangements (unless there are tax implications I guess which really is a later stage than an online job application), they just care that you can get mail.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:46 »

In the UK, if you have no salary or a salary too low to qualify for the lease you want, someone you know can act as a guarantor - someone who does fit the profile and takes responsibility for the rent if you default on it.

Oh, a cosigner. The rules on that vary from state to state. In North Carolina (the last place I actually rented an apartment) it was actually illegal for a landlord to demand a cosigner - which didn't prevent many of them from requiring one anyway.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

freeman

« Reply #46 on: 11 Jul 2016, 08:55 »

Damn Brun is not a bad applicant if she's getting callbacks on the same day. Getting re-employed should be a breeze.

Building fires can actually spread much, much quicker than people realise. If some furniture, or something else that is highly flammable, in a room is on fire, in some cases you might have less than a minute to leave before you pass out from the rising air temperature. If there's a fire in a building that cannot be put out instantly and people don't leave in a short few minutes, their lives are in immediate danger, either from heat, toxic gases, or oxygen deprivation.

A random video from a Google search that illustrates how rapidly fire can spread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsaLCdC3iWw

There are similar videos to be found online, and in general the time between something large catching fire and a huge flame appearing (hot enough to be harmful from radiated heat alone) is no more than a minute or so. The whole room can be ablaze within 2-3 minutes.

And in a bar, I'd wager there are a lot of flammable objects to catch fire quickly.

Yes, but I'd say the general jist in these types of videos is that even if the fire spreads about as fast as a random person would expect, that person usually underestimates the amount of thick, hot, toxic smoke that the fire generates much before getting burned becomes an issue. As the firemen visiting your school must have told: most people who die in fires never get burned, they either get lost or trapped in the smoke and suffocate. Oh, and many, many suffocate in their sleep, never waking up, so good night sleep tight.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2016, 09:09 by freeman »
Man!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jul 2016, 09:11 »

1. 'Brunee' is an amazing portmanteau
Thanks! (I put that in the poll when I had to fix the wording in another option)
> Brun goes to CoD to find Clinton with Renee in tow - Renee freaks

Why on earth would Clinton have Renee in tow?
This one to be specific.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #48 on: 11 Jul 2016, 09:47 »

In this case yes. The fire started underneath the bar. Sounding like because of an electrical short or something similar. It probably wouldn't have taken long at all until the whole place was an inferno. Even if the fire company was a short distance away, you're looking several minutes minimum after the fire is reported to them for them to get there and get the hoses going. By that time the place was probably already totaled, and they were more concerned about stopping the spread. And of course, dumping a ton of water on some's possessions generally doesn't help it's condition.  With Brun living above the bar.. Yeah. Pretty much unless a fire is contained and put out immediately you can write off nearly everything. Once the walls start igniting it's too late.

blt

« Reply #49 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:12 »

Renee changed Brun's alarm, Brun used Renee's phone for applications, so now both get obnoxious noises when they don't expect them. Seems fair to me.  :-P

Also, what does "The Talk" with Dora actually mean in the poll there?  I hope Dora already knows how babies are made.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up