Faye comes clean to Marten - Hugs ensue
Faye returns to CoD and has 'The Talk' with Dora
Brun goes to CoD with Renee in tow to find Clinton - Renee freaks
Pintsize with more butts
Nothing in this Poll
Spathe Pizza with Waffles, Spathe Ham and Lattes
Purple Monkey bar wiper

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3261-3265 (11-15 July 2016)  (Read 39119 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: WCDT Strips 3261-3265 (11-15 July 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 11 Jul 2016, 10:37 »

Yeah, I'd say that Brun and Renee deserve each other. They're both horrible with people and boundaries.

In Brun's defense, she at least seems to have some awareness of this.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jul 2016, 11:58 »

Also, what does "The Talk" with Dora actually mean in the poll there?

"The Talk" in QC discussions refers to strips 500ff in which Faye told Marten about her father's suicide (and turned off any possibility of dating him).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #52 on: 11 Jul 2016, 12:12 »

In Brun's defense, she at least seems to have some awareness of this.

She also evidently has something of an excuse for not always getting it right.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #53 on: 11 Jul 2016, 12:15 »

I'm really digging this plot line because when my ex best friends apartment burnt down I was Renee, lol. We ended up living together for two years, and then I ended up moving (military ex) and we lost touch. It's ridic because I can see EXACTLY why Brun/my ex friend was annoyed w me while remembering exactly why Renee is as well.

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #54 on: 11 Jul 2016, 13:56 »

Also, what does "The Talk" with Dora actually mean in the poll there?

"The Talk" in QC discussions refers to strips 500ff in which Faye told Marten about her father's suicide (and turned off any possibility of dating him).

Faye already had that discussion with Dora, right after it happened with Marten. So I don't follow.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Gyrre

« Reply #55 on: 11 Jul 2016, 14:35 »

I'm looking forward to Brun having to choose between Renee and Clinton at some point. Clinton will have to look less overbearing that Renee to win that one.

For my money? At this point, Clinton is winning.
Why choose one friend when you can have two friends and some comprimise?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #56 on: 11 Jul 2016, 15:31 »

I know what I'd like but I'm not sure what to expect. Jeph does have a talent for the unexpected. I do like the idea of Renee having a serious freak-out at CoD being a bizarro mirror of tSB. Compare her colleagues with the CoD girls whilst Brun and Emily get into a strange conversation about Clinton.

Does Dora know about Faye's dad?

I don't think that it has ever been established. However, given how long that they've known eachother, I'd expect Dora to know what happened, even if she doesn't know the details.

Or perhaps Brun and Emily discuss the nature of time. Resulting in a collaboration interuppted either by the government or future duplicate selves.

Though, Brun might solve this in the most  direct and pragmatic manner: smashing the time gate/machine prototype and hope that string theory doesn't hold when there is no longer a time machine. At the very least, the US government wouldn't have the damn thing (I trust my government about as far as I can throw a Congressman).
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2016, 19:00 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #57 on: 11 Jul 2016, 16:15 »

They've only really touched on the topic of the events leading up to Dora firing Faye in the events afterwards.  There's also the awkwardness on Fayes part over the changes that have occurred between them since, which lead up to the near falling off the wagon that happened last week.

I'm anticipating at some stage that both Faye and Dora will sit down and hash things out between them in order to settle matters between them and get their friendship back on to a basis where thay can really put the whole mess behind them - I think they want too, but matters are still somewhat in flux between them and they really do need to just sit down at some stage and thrash it out.

I think Renee's overreacting here a wee bit, but she does have a point.

And I like the fact that Brun is finally beginning to move on from the fire. 

*PLOT TWIST*  She gets a job at The Horrible Revelation  ;D which is our gangs regular Bar hangout
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #58 on: 11 Jul 2016, 16:23 »

[/quote]

Renee already has Clint-on pegged as a creep and doesn't seem the most reasonable of people out there (may change once we get to know her better though) so compromise doesn't seem likely

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #59 on: 11 Jul 2016, 18:37 »

Yep, Clinton has already been tried and convicted in the court of Renee, and It would really take a lot if work on his part to get her to reverse her decision. And a face-to-face meeting between them could make things worse - Jeph forbid that he tries to show off his robot hand and it jumps on Renee's boob.

He'd never be able to convince her he didn't somehow do it on purpose, and his status would be upgraded to "Megacreep" in her eyes. No, Brun's gonna be forced to choose...

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jul 2016, 18:44 »

Yep, Clinton has already been tried and convicted in the court of Renee, and It would really take a lot if work on his part to get her to reverse her decision. And a face-to-face meeting between them could make things worse - Jeph forbid that he tries to show off his robot hand and it jumps on Renee's boob.

He'd never be able to convince her he didn't somehow do it on purpose, and his status would be upgraded to "Megacreep" in her eyes. No, Brun's gonna be forced to choose...

More importantly, to me anyway, is that he doesn't have or need to reverse that decision. He acted far and above what most other people would do in the same situation.

Hopefully Brun will sort out Renee herself though

Gyrre

« Reply #61 on: 11 Jul 2016, 19:15 »

Renee already has Clint-on pegged as a creep and doesn't seem the most reasonable of people out there (may change once we get to know her better though) so compromise doesn't seem likely

"...[A]nd some compromise."

I imagine they'd have a talk, along with some of the other main characters vouching for Clinton (albeit somewhat poorly in some cases).
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #62 on: 11 Jul 2016, 19:30 »

Well, he *does* tend to come off that way even (especially) with people who have met him.  He had Marten grabbing a sword, Momo zapping him, and Hanners threatening him with a hose.  He's getting better (yay character development), but still has problems dealing with a lot of his social skills.  Even if he and Renee meet, he may still have trouble showing her that he's a decent person.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

wlewisiii

« Reply #63 on: 11 Jul 2016, 20:10 »

Well, he *does* tend to come off that way even (especially) with people who have met him.  He had Marten grabbing a sword, Momo zapping him, and Hanners threatening him with a hose.  He's getting better (yay character development), but still has problems dealing with a lot of his social skills.  Even if he and Renee meet, he may still have trouble showing her that he's a decent person.

Why the F*** should Renee matter in that regard? What Brun wants in her relationships is what should matter in the end. If, and yes at this point in the story cycle it is "if", she comes to desire having Clinton in her life then _that_ is what matters not what ever Renee thinks. In the end, Brun is an adult woman who has not been legally adjudicated as being mentally insufficient. Therefore she can, by law, decide who she is in a relationship with. Period.
Emily is the Avatar.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #64 on: 11 Jul 2016, 20:45 »

I agree with you that Renee should not matter at all. However, she is bossy and meddlesome which means she will almost certainly stick her nose into Brun's relationships in the name of protecting her. Plus, Brun seems to respect her opinion somewhat, so Renee does factor into the Brun's (possible) relationship with Clinton.

Most likely Brun is going to have to put her foot down and tell Renee in no uncertain terms to back the f*** off. Clinton won't try, he'll be too intimidated by Renee's...force of personality (and probably by threats of force from her). And if he does, there's at least a 50% chance he'll make things worse.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

wlewisiii

« Reply #65 on: 11 Jul 2016, 20:50 »

And if he does, there's at least a 50% chance he'll make things worse.

I would say that there is one thing he learned from his sister's meddling in his life - that doing so is a bad thing. If they get to the point they date, it will be because each of them wants to. We know his potential feeling (the note). We have a suspicion on her potential feeling (how she read said note). What we do not know is how our esteemed author will take things. I have my hopes and dreams but they are but dust in the wind...
Emily is the Avatar.

mikmaxs

« Reply #66 on: 11 Jul 2016, 22:14 »

This reminds me of a question that popped in my head a couple weeks ago:
How long has it been since a new character was introduced, who already had at least one mentioned or referenced friend that wasn't already a main character? At least to my memory, Brun is the only character since Tai (And possibly the second character period, excluding the initial cast,) who has friends outside of the Main Cast.
Don't mind me.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #67 on: 11 Jul 2016, 22:37 »

That area is known for being a real bubble

Gyrre

« Reply #68 on: 11 Jul 2016, 23:56 »

Show of hands:
Who else's brain keeps slapping the Aperture Science logo on Brun's shirt thanks to the coloration of the blanket she was using the other day?
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #69 on: 12 Jul 2016, 00:57 »

Why the F*** should Renee matter in that regard? What Brun wants in her relationships is what should matter in the end. If, and yes at this point in the story cycle it is "if", she comes to desire having Clinton in her life then _that_ is what matters not what ever Renee thinks. In the end, Brun is an adult woman who has not been legally adjudicated as being mentally insufficient. Therefore she can, by law, decide who she is in a relationship with. Period.

It matters insofar as Renee's attitude towards Clinton was the precise topic of conversation before you interrupted and insisted that Brun's attitude towards Clinton, and whether they will start a relationship of some kind, was the only topic worth discussing.

It is true that as far as Brun is concerned, it is only Brun's attitude towards Clinton that ultimately matters.

But for those of us who take a broader view than silently shipping Brun and Clinton, Renee's attitude towards Clinton is in fact a matter of some interest, completely separately from Brun's concern. Renee is a QC character, too, not to be defined purely by her relationship with Brun. As much as we all like Brun.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #70 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:08 »

New strip (7/12)!

So, Brun's (ex-) boss is The Joker? Is that what we're saying here?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #71 on: 12 Jul 2016, 01:33 »

New strip (7/12)!

So, Brun's (ex-) boss is The Joker? Is that what we're saying here?

"You want to know how I got these bars?"

...I'll let myself out.

blt

« Reply #72 on: 12 Jul 2016, 03:27 »

This page is like a scavenger hunt to find all the Weird Laughs on screen.

Milayna

« Reply #73 on: 12 Jul 2016, 03:31 »

So, Brun's boss has Renee's number, yet Brun doesn't recognize him. That seems really weird. Like, if Brun used Renee's number as an emergency contact without telling her, I'd still expect her boss, knowing he was calling an emergncy contact, to introduce himself before asking for Brun. Yet he didn't. Which says to me that he expected that Renee would know who and why he was caling...yet she didn't.

So, I'm confused.

lawoot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #74 on: 12 Jul 2016, 03:41 »

I would guess that Brun just recently gave out Renee's number to her former boss. I don't recall anything saying that Brun didn't recognize his voice, nor any reason that Renee would.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #75 on: 12 Jul 2016, 03:43 »

If all else fails Brun could go into business as a private eye.  She's got a talent for reading people.  I only ever know if someone is up to no good if they laugh maniacally.

gopher

« Reply #76 on: 12 Jul 2016, 04:10 »

Weird all the dislike at Renee when all she is trying to do is help her friend. A friend who has some difficulties in assessing and interacting with other people. frankly I find her more appealing and understandable than Faye.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #77 on: 12 Jul 2016, 05:15 »

Its not weird at all. Her attitude is very very poor. Her phone statements about Clinton were terrible. Clinton is not my favorite character, but Renee was really just irritating.

Faye has her issues, but gives people a fairish chance. She will not roll down paranoid street without calling first.

The epic smashup of Clinton meeting Renee is coming soon. I hope Clinton doesn't pull punches if she gives him attitude.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #78 on: 12 Jul 2016, 05:28 »

Or he might take all the money and move to Tahiti.

It's a magical place.

WRT the Giggle of Questionable Ethics, Bossman might be doing it because he knows using sarcasm on Brun is asking for trouble.

Since it'll take at least some weeks to reconstitute the Whale, Brun still needs to find income to cover that time, unless she's got more savings that it appears.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #79 on: 12 Jul 2016, 05:43 »

This is the sort of thing Unemployment Insurance is most meant for. Assistance while you are temporarily and through no fault of your own out of work. Even with as horrible as they can be in finding ways to disqualify people, they shouldn't give her to much trouble. She can probably get food stamps too. If the boss does indeed rebuild the bar and not run off to Tahiti, Brun is probably looking at a 2-3 months being unemployed. It would be hard to find a full time job that's willing to hire and train someone who's just going to leave in a few months. She might find work through a temp agency. In the end though, being QC, serious financial issues are just never a real problem for the cast. Jeph just doesn't like writing about stuff like that, I guess. My thought is we'll get a reference to getting unemployment, maybe the bar having insurance to help get Brun back on her feet. And then a humorous sequence where she's looking for a new place to live.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:16 »

I'd actually expect it to take longer than 2-3 months to get the bar rebuilt. You've got an old building gutted by fire in what is likely the downtown  historic district. It will take a couple of months just to get all of the permits sorted out before you can even begin to clear the fire damage, and that's assuming the insurance company doesn't try to screw over the owner (which they all too often do.) I can cite the case of a church in Arlington that took five years and multiple lawsuits just to get the insurance company to pay out after a catastrophic fire.

Looking at  that level of potential hassle, it's understandable that the owner is thinking about chucking it all and running off to Tahiti. Especially when the bar's most valuable asset is still in his possession - the bar's liquor license. Each town in Massachusetts has a limited number of liquor licenses to hand out, and in most towns they are all already issued, so anyone wanting to open a new bar needs to acquire a license from someone in the same town who already has one. I can imagine the bidding war for the Nasty Whale's liquor license could get quite intense, and could allow the owner to retire with a nice nest egg.

Yeah, I know Jeph probably won't get into that level of realism in the strip - but Brun is likely looking at six months to a year before the bar reopens, if it ever does. She's going to need alternate employment and living accommodations for quite a while.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #81 on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:23 »

Penny's bf worked in a bar, maybe she can get employment there?

blt

« Reply #82 on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:36 »

Especially when the bar's most valuable asset is still in his possession - the bar's liquor license. Each town in Massachusetts has a limited number of liquor licenses to hand out, and in most towns they are all already issued, so anyone wanting to open a new bar needs to acquire a license from someone in the same town who already has one. I can imagine the bidding war for the Nasty Whale's liquor license could get quite intense, and could allow the owner to retire with a nice nest egg.

What a bizarre way of doing business. Is this just Mass or is this a common thing elsewhere?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #83 on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:47 »

It's that way in PA, too.  The state legislature is still fighting over freeing it up some.  It's a holdover from prohibition. 

OTOH, PA is the only remaining state with state owned "wine and spirit" shops.  Beer can be privately distributed, but noting else.  And beer distributor licenses are as tough as bar liquor licenses to get. 

We're talking in the neighborhood of 1/4 million for the last one that was sold locally.  And we're not even in a big city, where the competition gets fierce! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #84 on: 12 Jul 2016, 06:54 »

...or is this a common thing elsewhere?
Common enough thing in any situation where any kind of licence is restricted.  Think airlines and landing slots. In many places taxi licenses are limited and would be another example. Just another kind of intangible asset.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #85 on: 12 Jul 2016, 07:12 »

Yeah, taxi licenses a great example of this. In Boston a taxi license last year sold for an average of $402,444. And that's down from 2014, when they averaged $666,547 - Uber has caused the value of taxi licenses to decline dramatically, which is the main driver behind efforts to ban Uber and other unlicensed ride-sharing services. [citation]

Anyway, I looked it up, and liquor licenses in Northampton were selling in the $200,000 range a couple of years ago [citation], which is less than I expected - they can sell for up to half a million dollars in the eastern half of the state.

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #86 on: 12 Jul 2016, 07:13 »

This begs the question: why would anyone move TO Tahiti?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #87 on: 12 Jul 2016, 07:16 »

Yeah, why would anyone who suddenly comes into a large sum of money want to move to a tropical island paradise where they can relax in beautiful surroundings all day? Sounds terrible.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jul 2016, 07:19 »

Tahiti has a reputation of being a tropical paradise full of scantily-clad and (ahem) friendly women. As for the truth behind this reputation - well, Tahiti is undeniably tropical.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jul 2016, 07:51 »

This begs the question: why would anyone move TO Tahiti?

It's a magical place
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

TomFoolery

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #90 on: 12 Jul 2016, 08:02 »

Is it... actually illegal to not use the insurance money for rebuilding the bar?  With home and car insurance you can get compensated for damages without being compelled to actually repair those damages, but no idea for commercial insurance.  Repairing to minimal safety standards and then selling the liquor licences and land as-is and taking the rest of the insurance compensation could be a pretty good an probably legal cash-out for the owner unless the bar, as a company, holds a lot of debt (which I guess is typical).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jul 2016, 08:04 »

Does Dora know about Faye's dad?

Yes. She told her and Raven after The Talk. Archive-fu fails me on Tapatalk.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

retrosteve

• Very slow tourist
« Reply #92 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:21 »

I do like the idea of Renee having a serious freak-out at CoD being a bizarro mirror of tSB. Compare her colleagues with the CoD girls whilst Brun and Emily get into a strange conversation about Clinton.

That would be fun, but I don't think it's true anymore!  Faye is gone, so no alternate universe Faye.  The snark is gone, so their attitudes are both just customer-friendly. And Angus is gone, so the mirror-image funhouse aspect is not there either.  They're both selling Dora's coffee. What is left to make CoD look like anything besides another coffee shop?
Thinks too much.

retrosteve

• Very slow tourist
« Reply #93 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:38 »

[Since it'll take at least some weeks to reconstitute the Whale, Brun still needs to find income to cover that time, unless she's got more savings that it appears.

In my time here in Edinburgh, I've seen three restaurants burn and be rebuilt. It does happen, but it takes about a year, even if the infrastructure is still partly there. In one case, I knew the owner. Part of that year is fighting with insurance companies, and part is other nightmares like scheduling contractors. I really can't imagine less than a year, though, unless Northampton has a way more dynamic economy and more obliging insurance companies than Edinburgh.

Unless the boss is very well-connected indeed, I think Renee will need a job and a place for the next year.

Edit: P.s. and if he's really all that well-connected, Tahiti looks like a better option.
Thinks too much.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:02 »

Is it... actually illegal to not use the insurance money for rebuilding the bar?  With home and car insurance you can get compensated for damages without being compelled to actually repair those damages, but no idea for commercial insurance.  Repairing to minimal safety standards and then selling the liquor licences and land as-is and taking the rest of the insurance compensation could be a pretty good an probably legal cash-out for the owner unless the bar, as a company, holds a lot of debt (which I guess is typical).

No, it is perfectly legal. Insurance can get you just a payout, people do it all the time.  Which is why insurance fraud is a thing. Your business is losing a ton of money, so you have an arsonist burn it down and collect the settlement. If you couldn't just take the cash, no one would ever attempt insurance fraud.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:08 »

... What is left to make CoD look like anything besides another coffee shop?

The oversized armchair in the corner "reserved for the use of our ex-military-robot customers"?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:22 »

It would be nice to see some more Marten again.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #97 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:24 »

Mar-who?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #98 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:29 »

I'd actually expect it to take longer than 2-3 months to get the bar rebuilt. You've got an old building gutted by fire in what is likely the downtown  historic district. It will take a couple of months just to get all of the permits sorted out before you can even begin to clear the fire damage, and that's assuming the insurance company doesn't try to screw over the owner (which they all too often do.) I can cite the case of a church in Arlington that took five years and multiple lawsuits just to get the insurance company to pay out after a catastrophic fire.
A pizza place just down the street from my apartment burned down in February and didn't reopen until the beginning of July. So that's 5 months even in a case where the insurance company didn't give them trouble over it, in an area that's not in a downtown historic district. So I'd guess that you're right that 2-3 months is probably too optimistic.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #99 on: 12 Jul 2016, 10:32 »

Penny's bf worked in a bar, maybe she can get employment there?

Brun in a Victorian costume is quite a mental picture.

It might be good for her to feel safe, which she could with Elliott as the bouncer.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up