THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 00:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, first week back from guest strip week - what's our topic?

Clinton meets Brun - Again.
Clinton and Brun miss connections hilariously.
Brun meets Cosette. (Now you know how "The Blink" happened.)
Clinton and Claire Sibling-Bond.
Wacky Pokemon-Go AnthroPC Hijinks
Something else... it's just way too hot here in the States.
Purple Monkey Elephant Dishwashers.
Spathe Ham and Waffles.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3271-3275* (25-29 July 2016)  (Read 33948 times)

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT Strips 3271-3275* (25-29 July 2016)
« Reply #150 on: 29 Jul 2016, 05:29 »

"Ursa-cha" = "you're such a".

Granted, the "U" in "Ursa" as a Latin word should be pronounced like "oo" rather than like "yoo", but since in English, "U" is usually pronounced like the latter, it doesn't surprise me that it's apparently pronounced this way as an English word.

Like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_back_rounded_vowel

And definitely short U in ursa. Not yoor-SA; UR-sa.
Man!

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #151 on: 29 Jul 2016, 05:38 »

Thanks for clearing this up for me =) I'd assumed it was pronounced the way most English words starting with "u" are. I like to think my English is decent, but "Ursa" is not exactly a word that comes up in random spoken conversation, so I'd never heard it spoken out loud ;)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #152 on: 29 Jul 2016, 05:41 »

I have to admit that, for whatever it's worth, that pun took me a good couple of minutes to figure out. So it didn't work well written down for me.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #153 on: 29 Jul 2016, 05:49 »

Puns, they make Dad jokes seem funny. Still, better than Isaac Asimov who would do a short story just to deliver a piss poor pun, and be proud of it!!

And then lampshade it in the title (I assume you refer to "Shah Guido G") for the irony-impaired.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #154 on: 29 Jul 2016, 07:34 »

You should look traditional Nordic casseroles. You know fermented potato, sweet potato, swede,  liver with raisins, carrot - these are all casseroles that are made in pureed form. How ever, the most dog food like from the types I know would be "mached potato and minced meat". That's actually pretty good, if the meat is properly seasoned. Also, herring casserole (and anchovy) casserole has a suspicious to say at least consistency, but not really dog food like.

Also, haven't ever tought of that broccoli and cheese thing a casserole. Goes by different name here.

Why in heavens would you puree stuff to put in casseroles? Part of their simplicity lies in tossing in what's available, and some of the charm comes from texture.

Broccoli cheese casserole contains broccoli, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, rice and seasoning.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #155 on: 29 Jul 2016, 07:40 »

My personal favorite casserole is pineapple cheese casserole. It's become a traditional Thanksgiving dish in my family.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #156 on: 29 Jul 2016, 07:50 »

My personal favorite casserole is pineapple cheese casserole. It's become a traditional Thanksgiving dish in my family.

And that is the beauty of a casserole. Often the dishes consist of ingredients that should not mesh, but do in delightful and unexpected ways.

I am from the South, and casseroles are just common courtesy here. Going with your beau to meet his parents? Bring a casserole? Someone died? Send a casserole? Your second cousin just have a baby? Take a casserole.  Someone wrestle a bear and end up in the hospital? Growl up a casserole to the family.

I don't care for green bean casserole (I don't like French onions from a can) but I can do some serious damage to a layered Mexican casserole.  And what is trifle but a cold dessert casserole in a pretty dish?
Please, sir, may I have some more?

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #157 on: 29 Jul 2016, 08:04 »

You should look traditional Nordic casseroles. You know fermented potato, sweet potato, swede,  liver with raisins, carrot - these are all casseroles that are made in pureed form. How ever, the most dog food like from the types I know would be "mached potato and minced meat". That's actually pretty good, if the meat is properly seasoned. Also, herring casserole (and anchovy) casserole has a suspicious to say at least consistency, but not really dog food like.

Also, haven't ever tought of that broccoli and cheese thing a casserole. Goes by different name here.

Why in heavens would you puree stuff to put in casseroles? Part of their simplicity lies in tossing in what's available, and some of the charm comes from texture.

Broccoli cheese casserole contains broccoli, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, rice and seasoning.
Because they are fancy party casseroles, sweet and  seasoned with "ginger bread spices" - meant to go with various meats and fishes which are served separately.

The everyday types (macaroni, herring, "Janson's", penna and ham, cabbage) have a larger grain size.

And what is trifle but a cold dessert casserole in a pretty dish?
A way to smuggle unbelievable amounts of alcohol into a church potluck?
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2016, 08:19 by freeman »
Man!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #158 on: 29 Jul 2016, 11:15 »

I too deal with life one beer at a time.
Wait, what??

Are you bruin your own?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #159 on: 29 Jul 2016, 14:48 »

Seems I've been a bit of a Sloth. Bear with me though as I've only just gotten up with the Sun

Mostly though, that last panel is a Kodiak moment.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #160 on: 29 Jul 2016, 23:48 »

I'm sure with the (however brief) return of older characters this comic clawed its way back into the interest of many.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #161 on: 30 Jul 2016, 00:07 »

Oh brother
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #162 on: 30 Jul 2016, 00:13 »

Once again, we've let these puns distr-arctos from meaningful discussion.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #163 on: 30 Jul 2016, 04:13 »

I'm sure with the (however brief) return of older characters this comic clawed its way back into the interest of many.

I reckon. What a funny old fellow is Marten. He gets in all manner of strife.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up