Steve and Cossette
Renee and Brun
Marten and Claire
Hannelore and Uncanny Valley Winslow
ClaireMom and Chad
Faye and Claire
Other

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3276-3280 - 1st to 5th August 2016  (Read 25243 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
Re: WCDT strips 3276-3280 - 1st to 5th August 2016
« Reply #50 on: 02 Aug 2016, 12:37 »

If it weren't for the fire, would Faye and Marten have become roommates?

I still suspect Faye set the fire deliberately.
By contrast, did we, or anyone in the strip, ever have solid evidence that the fire actually happened?
Seriously, the first, and last, thing we ever hear of it is Faye's original intro; no newspaper clippings, no news reports, not even Dora (who was Faye's friend/boss before she moved in with Marten) asking if she was able to get much out of her insurer…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #51 on: 02 Aug 2016, 13:44 »

Well, it's official:  I have a new favorite QC character to fanboy over: Bubbles.
(PS: Loved her in The Whiteboard crossover)

Because her treatment of that bottle is a set of feelings and behaviors I know...uh...intimately.

But yeah...Bubbles is my new Comic Bestie. 

And yes, I did notice the bit about the speech bubbles and the underlying subtleties...I just chose to focus on Bubbles...

Mmmm...Bubbles...Bubbles...Bubbles...

...I wonder if I can still buy those little bottles of soap with a bubble wand in them...?
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 02 Aug 2016, 14:26 »

Calling it here: Bubbles and May will switch chassis. Hilarity, hugs and destruction ensue.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 02 Aug 2016, 16:37 »

Hmmmm

Between Faye's artistic welding skills and Bubbles soon to be revealed glass blowing skills these two could go into business together.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #54 on: 02 Aug 2016, 16:48 »

Amazing strip today. It's made me laugh multiple times today as I hear Faye's impression in my head.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #55 on: 02 Aug 2016, 19:43 »

I'm starting to get the feeling that Punch-bot is the QC-verse version of the Zen Master, Ryokan.

Good thing that Punch-bot doesn't wear pants. :roll:

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #56 on: 02 Aug 2016, 23:14 »

Okay, I thought that this was the case but this is the proof: Punchbot isn't interested in 'winning', he's only interested in hitting things and suffering serious chassis damage. If he were human I'd call him a masochist with an injury fetish but he's not so I'm just going to call him weird. It also explains why Punchbot had no hard feelings about Bubbles tossing him. To him, it was an act of affection from which he gets pleasure! :-o

I was reading back through old threads and I noted something I said about the fighting ring when it was first introduced which this strip makes me want to revisit. Just how many of Corpse Witch's 'employees' does she not have to pay because either inflicting violence or having violence inflicted on them is what they want out of life?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #57 on: 03 Aug 2016, 00:52 »

Not sure why you think that doing something you want out of life means you wouldn't or shouldn't be paid for it.

Punchbot's probably their star attraction.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #58 on: 03 Aug 2016, 01:16 »

I think that Hank the Dismemberer is probably a bit more popular.  But Punchbot is quite fun.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 03 Aug 2016, 04:27 »

Okay, I thought that this was the case but this is the proof: Punchbot isn't interested in 'winning', he's only interested in hitting things and suffering serious chassis damage. If he were human I'd call him a masochist with an injury fetish but he's not so I'm just going to call him weird. It also explains why Punchbot had no hard feelings about Bubbles tossing him. To him, it was an act of affection from which he gets pleasure! :-o

I was reading back through old threads and I noted something I said about the fighting ring when it was first introduced which this strip makes me want to revisit. Just how many of Corpse Witch's 'employees' does she not have to pay because either inflicting violence or having violence inflicted on them is what they want out of life?

I'm actually more curious as to why May would want Punchbot's autograph on her butt if he never wins a fight. 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #60 on: 03 Aug 2016, 05:11 »

I think Punchbot getting damaged and dismembered is just part of the Robot Fight kayfabe... The fans expect to see some hydraulic fluid flowing, so the fighters deliver.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #61 on: 03 Aug 2016, 05:18 »

He may choose to be what is known in RASSLIN as a "jobber". It's not glamorous but someone has to be a consistent loser so there's a consistent winner and makes others look good.

There's been nothing to suggest the fights are predetermined but with the names and chassis designs, there seems to be a bit of intentional showmanship.

While you were searching through gifs for ten minutes, someone else made a post making a related point in a more succinct way. However you didn't find that gif for nothing so click post anyway.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2016, 07:09 by Welu »

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #62 on: 03 Aug 2016, 07:51 »

Not sure why you think that doing something you want out of life means you wouldn't or shouldn't be paid for it.

Punchbot's probably their star attraction.
A very good question for all those folks that offer to "pay" artists with 'exposure' and expect them to be greatful for it.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #63 on: 03 Aug 2016, 08:08 »

Ok, emotional, check; but the 'donk' and the last panel also made me laugh.  Jeph captures the blend of life so well...  I'm quite sure the only reason my wife & I are still together after thirty years is that we're able to laugh together at life.

“Lots Of Laughter And Sex”

You said, when we embarked on this great adventure together, that lots of laughter was essential in a relationship.
 I agreed.
You also made the point that a great deal of sex was of equal importance.
 Again, I agreed. Wholeheartedly.
In fact I remember your exact words: laughter and sex are the barometers of a relationship. This was the statement you made, if I remember correctly.
 Don’t get me wrong. I couldn’t agree more. But no at the same time, ya fucking cow.

(Irvine Welsh, "The Acid House", 1995)                                                                                               
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #64 on: 03 Aug 2016, 08:39 »

At least Punchbot's doing what he loves?
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #65 on: 03 Aug 2016, 15:00 »

While you were searching through gifs for ten minutes, someone else made a post making a related point in a more succinct way. However you didn't find that gif for nothing so click post anyway.
...where's the gif?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #66 on: 03 Aug 2016, 15:49 »

It was there but I had to take it out because for some reason the link kept breaking. Forgot to edit the post to explain that.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #67 on: 03 Aug 2016, 16:22 »

It ain't about how hard you get hit
James The Kugai 

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 03 Aug 2016, 18:09 »

He may choose to be what is known in RASSLIN as a "jobber". It's not glamorous but someone has to be a consistent loser so there's a consistent winner and makes others look good.

Nah, the more I see of Punchbot, the more I'm convinced he's a masochist. He's like a demolition derby driver, except he is also the car.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #69 on: 03 Aug 2016, 19:18 »

You can always depend on Punchbot. A day without punches is a day without purpose.

The shards of that whisky bottle will become --- what? Perhaps a snowglobe, suggesting manifold possibilities...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #70 on: 03 Aug 2016, 20:03 »

It might just be me, but Faye almost seems a little flirtatious in today's strip? Most especially her actions and her expression in the third panel.

theMarc

• Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #71 on: 03 Aug 2016, 20:30 »

Synthetic musculature, hmm... I never really thought about it, but now I'm curious about Bubbles's inner workings.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

BlueFatima

« Reply #72 on: 03 Aug 2016, 20:44 »

It might just be me, but Faye almost seems a little flirtatious in today's strip? Most especially her actions and her expression in the third panel.

No, I kind of thought so, too. Tickling someone is... well... The closest I can think is the gay dude in denial on IT crowd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQpjS-dMjro

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #73 on: 03 Aug 2016, 22:34 »

I wonder if this is slowly leading up to one of Jephs famed 'Relationship Bombshell' moments

And will we see Bubbles dump the armor
James The Kugai 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #74 on: 03 Aug 2016, 23:19 »

Poor Bubbles! I do think that she's a bit of an innocent abroad when confronting Faye's increasing intimacy and boundary-crossing.

In some ways, Jeph is writing this as a human/Vulcan relationship story. Bubbles has emotions but generally has them under a tight rein so that, when they get loose, it's pretty dramatic. She's also inexperienced enough with human social interaction that she has some difficulty judging accurately what Faye's intentions are. She responds with this cute, innocent and polite confusion that I find really endearing. :-)

Yes, Faye, Bubbles did explain that she had a 'skin' under her armour. Just a note, I'm pretty sure that it's as much a social faux pas to ask to see it as it would be with a human.

P.S.
AIs can download a patch to make them ticklish? I wonder whose idea that was? I'm betting that it was an AI who wanted a more complete physical experience; it doesn't sound like the sort of thing a human scientist or engineer (or even marketing person) would come up with!
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2016, 00:02 by BenRG »
~~~~

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #75 on: 03 Aug 2016, 23:33 »

Synthetic musculature, hmm... I never really thought about it, but now I'm curious about Bubbles's inner workings.
well, from the joke at the bottom  of the comic, we might infer that there are ball bearings to help facilitate the movement in her hip joints. I wonder how small they are.

EDIT: How small the ball bearings are.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2016, 04:43 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

WoaLG

« Reply #76 on: 04 Aug 2016, 00:02 »

AIs can download a patch to make them ticklish? I wonder whose idea that was? I'm betting that it was an AI who wanted a more complete physical experience; it doesn't sound like the sort of thing a human scientist or engineer (or even marketing person) would come up with!

I could see a human who was friendly with an AI coming up with the idea. If they tried to tickle their AI friend like Faye just did and were told that AIs couldn't be ticklish, I can imagine a few characters in the QC universe immediately pulling out their laptop to remedy that situation. Emily, for example. or Hannelore's dad.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #77 on: 04 Aug 2016, 00:20 »

Wonder if this is similar to the app that turns Momo's hair different colors whenever her belly button is touched. 

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #78 on: 04 Aug 2016, 00:21 »

No? I'm absolutely sure there are people who have sexual fantasies about tickling robots, just like about everything else...  :psyduck:
What do you know about Pokémon?

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #79 on: 04 Aug 2016, 05:18 »

Admittedly, a slinky filled with ball bearings is a really solid engineering practice for the kind of range of motion you'd expect from that portion of Bubble's armor.
oh god

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 04 Aug 2016, 05:34 »

So, what does everyone expect for tomorrow? I'm thinking of some kind of cliffhanger where we are left to wonder over the weekend what direction Faye and Bubbles will jump. Maybe Faye and Bubbles will get a bit too into poking and prodding each other's meat and realise they may have crosssed a line? Or, maybe, Bubbles will tamely indulge Faye's curiosity about her actual body under her armour and will end the strip by saying something that makes it abundantly clear that Faye holds a very, very important place in her emotional life?

Admittedly, a slinky filled with ball bearings is a really solid engineering practice for the kind of range of motion you'd expect from that portion of Bubble's armor.

Jeph does like to reseach his scripts and art; it's reasonable to assume that he tried to figure out Faye - who now has three or so months practical robotics engineering experience - would likely actually say.

well, from the joke at the bottom  of the comic, we might infer that there are ball bearings to help facilitate the movement in her hip joints.

Based on the arc where Bubbles and Faye are fixing May's chassis, I think it was pretty much established that bearings are commonly used in robot limb-to-torso joints. That said, I'm thinking that Jeph was making an indirect 'literal buns of steel' joke.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2016, 05:40 by BenRG »
~~~~

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #81 on: 04 Aug 2016, 05:54 »

well, from the joke at the bottom  of the comic, we might infer that there are ball bearings to help facilitate the movement in her hip joints. I wonder how small they are.
EDIT: How small the ball bearings are.
I see two basic styles of chassis here with a whole range of variation in each category and some possible overlap.

Punchbot seems to be more industrial.
The chassis lacks any extraneous sensors or accessories like hair or ears.
Design seems to be very industrial with a mixture of internal framework and external shell both providing structural support.
Limbs have full freedom of movement based on  how they are assembled.
Hydraulics would be the most practical for speed and power though fine motor control is also doable.
Most likely it is a mix of hydraulic and electromagnetic servos.

Full anthropomorphic chassis like Momo and possibly Bubbles, are modeled on a humans skeleton and musculature structure.
Ranges of movement and strength levels will therefore be similar or regulated to keep them scale-able to the human norm.
So dermal layers are more like organic skin and provide a protective layer as well as having the option of embedded micro-sensors of the required types like pressure, temperature, light, etc.
As for locomotion there are already in existence various technologies based on memory metals and plastics that can be assembled as fibers to look and behave like muscle tissue.
So no need to go all industrial with a rotating asymmetric ring design.

TL:DR
Full Anthropomorphic AIs have synthetic muscles and can be as sculpted as a Greek statue.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to revise your engineering speculation. Also a micro black hole drank your coffee.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Ysobel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #82 on: 04 Aug 2016, 09:05 »

Personally, I can't get my head around the concept. To me a slinky is mostly transversal motion,
while ball bearings perform radial/circular motion.
How is that supposed to work or even look, what is it supposed to achieve? :?
At most I can imagine a slinky attached to two bearings, for the torso to bend over and sideways, perhaps,
"filled with" just plain confuses me.

Or is it stacked ball bearings we are talking about here? "Slinky" invokes some helical structure, and, ah!, I think I kind of get the idea as I write:
balls sliding along a helical band to allow for both helical and transversal motion, somehow?  I was thinking of multiple separate circular bearings, that
concept specificially didn't parse.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2016, 09:18 by Ysobel »

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #83 on: 04 Aug 2016, 10:44 »

It'd look like some models of expensive squirmy dildo.

I'd link a picture, buuuuuut-
oh god

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #84 on: 04 Aug 2016, 16:38 »

I just went to vote in the 'odd couple' poll and I found "Faye and Bubbles" wasn't there!

I want to vote Faye and Bubbles. 
Thinks too much.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #85 on: 04 Aug 2016, 18:58 »

Muffins.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #86 on: 04 Aug 2016, 18:58 »

I guess yesterday's donuts are already gone.

Seriously, I can only imagine what it would be like to go to work to the smell of fresh baked bread everyday. Would you get sick of carbs? Have cravings for steak and salad?

EcoReck

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #87 on: 04 Aug 2016, 19:00 »

So how late am I to the party where I just now realized that this is the same Renee from Secret Bakery?

I guess she drastically changed her personality and looks.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #88 on: 04 Aug 2016, 19:01 »

I guess yesterday's donuts are already gone.

Seriously, I can only imagine what it would be like to go to work to the smell of fresh baked bread everyday. Would you get sick of carbs? Have cravings for steak and salad?

Sometimes. I worked in a pizzaria and after awhile you do get tired of the free pizza. Thankfully they also had a saladbar and pasta.
Emily is the Avatar.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #89 on: 04 Aug 2016, 19:09 »

I wonder if Renee and Brun will run into any of the main cast at the Secret Bakery. Mayhaps some COD staff will be there facilitating a coffee/baked goods trade.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #90 on: 04 Aug 2016, 19:17 »

I wonder if Renee and Brun will run into any of the main cast at the Secret Bakery. Mayhaps some COD staff will be there facilitating a coffee/baked goods trade.

If we're still following Renee and Brun, then there must be a junction with the main cast coming up. And not just Pintsize on Tinder.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #91 on: 04 Aug 2016, 20:10 »

So how late am I to the party where I just now realized that this is the same Renee from Secret Bakery?

I guess she drastically changed her personality and looks.

We've been speculating she was THAT Renee for a while, this just confirms it.

...(unless Jeph throws us a curveball and they walk into a different bakery)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #92 on: 04 Aug 2016, 20:27 »

This doesn't confirm anything that hasn't already been confirmed - we learned that she worked at a bakery way back in the second comic she featured in.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3244
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #93 on: 04 Aug 2016, 20:46 »

The new design is certainly more inspired than "Tai palette swap", which is good.

Still, that hip to waist ratio on Brun in panel 4. Dang.
oh god

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #94 on: 04 Aug 2016, 20:54 »

She's scrunched down in the seat there MrNumbers, that can sometimes distort things

And I'd prefer Bacon and Cheese Rolls.
James The Kugai 

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #95 on: 04 Aug 2016, 21:30 »

At the coffee shop I worked at, I only had to take a bake shift once, maybe twice a week.[1]  I'll never eat a muffin or scone ever again.

[1] Even then, I still had to smell it every day.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 04 Aug 2016, 21:35 »

I've never worked as a baker, but I did go through a phase of eating muffins almost daily during a time when they were kind of trendy (kind of like the way doughnuts, then cronuts, then ... etc became trendy, only back in the days when there was no Instagram around to magnify the trend). And yes, I did eventually get sick of them. I almost never eat them even now. It doesn't help that commercial muffins are almost always waaay too big.

I hope I never get sick of scones. I only ever eat them when I've made them myself, which isn't nearly often enough for any chance of that happening.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #97 on: 04 Aug 2016, 21:38 »

Nice of Renee to invite Brun to work, but what does she expect her to do there all day other than feast on day old baked goods.  Unless they got a computer or tablet handy it's not like she can apply for jobs while there. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 04 Aug 2016, 23:10 »

I think we can definitely apply the old phrase "The lady doth protest too much" to Brun today. Quite frankly, Renee had her at 'muffins', no matter how much she grumbles about it. :lol:

As for what she's going to do all day? Well, she doesn't have to stay at The Secret Bakery all day! Renee was just using the lure of muffins in an attempt to normalise Brun's sleeping patterns so something vaguely diurnal-seeming. It is also possible that she's hoping that, after she sees it, Brun will like it enough to ask for a job there.

That said, Brun is free to roam the early-morning Northampton if she so wishes. If Jeph chooses to go that route, she can be our point of view as he takes us through the various characters' morning routines.

I just went to vote in the 'odd couple' poll and I found "Faye and Bubbles" wasn't there!

I want to vote Faye and Bubbles. 

Are you sure that you understand the poll? An 'odd couple' are room-mates who are so unlikely and incompatible that they are a possible threat to each other's health and safety. Do you really think that about Faye and Bubbles?

Speaking of Faye and Bubbles, it looks like I was right to predict some kind of cliffhanger about them. I suspect that the next we'll know about them is when they turn up at Coffee of Doom for a post-work coffee (Faye) and tea trip (Bubbles).
~~~~

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #99 on: 05 Aug 2016, 01:49 »

....I want muffins now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up