THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 19:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What job will Brun get?

Barmaid at The Horrible Revelation (Victorian Brun FTW)
Alt-Hanners at The Secret Bakery
Counter Staff at Smif College canteen - Interaction with Marten, Tai and Claire
Freelance House-cleaner
Dormitory night receptionist at the dorm used by both Clinton and Emily at UMass
Delivery-person (maybe for TSB or CoD, if Dora wants to go in that direction)
Emily's new apprentice at Coffee of Doom
Concession stand clerk at The Fighting Arena
Other (Please Specify)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3281 to 3285 (8-12 August 2016)  (Read 32269 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT Strips 3281 to 3285 (8-12 August 2016)
« on: 07 Aug 2016, 11:01 »

Okay, so I'm shooting in the dark for a topic here. However, I think that Brun's eventual job is going to be a significant aspect of how she interacts with the rest of the cast.

My vote goes for 'Delivery-person' although various other options also appeal. I think that what is necessary is something that gives a realistic cause for her to interact with other members of the cast in a non-contrived way. Having something like Dale's old delivery job gives plenty of reason for her to turn up literally anywhere in the QC world and start interacting with the cast on both a business and personal level. I guess I also like the idea of Brun zipping around Northampton on a scooter. :wink:

How would you handle this development? Do you have a better idea of how to secure Brun's place in the core cast?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: WCDT Strips 3281 to 3285 (8-12 August 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2016, 17:19 »

I don't really see a delivery job working for someone like Brun who lives by her set routines. Doing Pizza deliveries means navigating to endless new addresses, and constant interactions with new strangers in new environments. Brun was so thrown by her sudden new habitations that she forgot something simple like taking a shower. I think making deliveries would be hellish for her, never being able to inhabit her comfort zone.

Theoretically, Brun's job at the Whale will eventually open back up. Meantime, she'll want another situation involving set routines, I'm thinking. Not sure what it would be, though. Now, if she were to become a US Mail carrier (as opposed to delivering pizzas), there's lots of routine in that; always going back to the same addresses, and less need to deal with humans. But those kinds of jobs tend to be hard to get, I think.

WRT integrating Brun into the main cast, I think the path is fairly clear. She'll encounter Clinton again (maybe at COD), and there'll be a conflict between Renee and Clinton (probably played for laughs). Perhaps Brun will eventually became a COD regular.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:20 »

Well, a bow is certainly a good start, as well as an under-the-table-paying job.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:24 »

I don't really see a delivery job working for someone like Brun who lives by her set routines. Doing Pizza deliveries means navigating to endless new addresses, and constant interactions with new strangers in new environments. Brun was so thrown by her sudden new habitations that she forgot something simple like taking a shower. I think making deliveries would be hellish for her, never being able to inhabit her comfort zone.

Theoretically, Brun's job at the Whale will eventually open back up. Meantime, she'll want another situation involving set routines, I'm thinking. Not sure what it would be, though. Now, if she were to become a US Mail carrier (as opposed to delivering pizzas), there's lots of routine in that; always going back to the same addresses, and less need to deal with humans. But those kinds of jobs tend to be hard to get, I think.

WRT integrating Brun into the main cast, I think the path is fairly clear. She'll encounter Clinton again (maybe at COD), and there'll be a conflict between Renee and Clinton (probably played for laughs). Perhaps Brun will eventually became a COD regular.

Then again, I could see Brun working at The Secret Bakery. While Jim has said that there needs to be passion in baking, there is also a high degree of precision needed with the ingredients, making sure all the bread and other baked goods are consistent. The set routine and the recipes would be perfect for Brun. Now, if she could handle the god-awful hours, that could be a good step for her. (I dated a baker for a couple of months, free bread and stuff, but she was up when I was getting ready to go to sleep).

Anyway, Brun and Clinton could probably meet as she delivers a batch of muffins or the like to Coffee of Doom. And then, hilarity ensues.

Spiritz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:26 »

I hope I'm not the only one who immediately thought of the "bow and arrow" variety of a bow at first.  Hell, it took me until the last panel to realize what she meant...

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:30 »

Is this the first time we've seen Brun looking even vaguely happy?

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #6 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:31 »

I thought of a "bow and arrow" and figured she was looking for a replacement for the harpoon. 

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #7 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:33 »

Am I the only one who thinks Brun meeting Clinton again might not be such a big deal?  Yeah, Jeph is playing it up big with foreshadowing and suspense of all kinds. But really, aside from having shared a traumatic experience, and both being single, what do they have in common? Do we have any indication of attraction on either part? Any indication of what they would talk about together, or how their personalities are complementary?

What if she meets him again, she's happy to see him, he asks her out, and she can't be bothered?  Or vice versa?
Thinks too much.

wlewisiii

« Reply #8 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:48 »

I think there are a couple of things that point to his interest - giving her his phone number and then talking about her rather wistfully to his sister.  I have no doubt that he is interested in seeing more of her in a way we've not seen previously in his character.
We have less evidence of her interest though I would point to her staring at the number even into the shower as something that was unusual but slipping inside her routine defenses (if you'll excuse the expression). 

Jeph has laid a certain amount of groundwork that I think he'll at least show an attempt at a real relationship. Whether it is like Marten & Dora or Marten & Claire remains to be seen. Either way would be a good character building arc for both characters.
Emily is the Avatar.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #9 on: 07 Aug 2016, 18:56 »

As usual, Jeph comes up with a natural, funny way to pull Brun into the main cast that isn't what anyone expected. Now I may have to go rewatch Kiki's Delivery Service.

Am I the only one who thinks Brun meeting Clinton again might not be such a big deal?  Yeah, Jeph is playing it up big with foreshadowing and suspense of all kinds. But really, aside from having shared a traumatic experience, and both being single, what do they have in common? Do we have any indication of attraction on either part? Any indication of what they would talk about together, or how their personalities are complementary?

What if she meets him again, she's happy to see him, he asks her out, and she can't be bothered?  Or vice versa?

Part of the point is that he doesn't ask her out. Instead they form a friendship organically, through familiarity and continuing contact. For Clinton, the whole dating business was so artificial that he never actually got to know Emily (other than as a virtual girlfriend-that-never-was). It would probably be much better for both Clinton and Brun if they didn't ever date.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 07 Aug 2016, 19:05 »

( -v-)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 07 Aug 2016, 19:19 »

I require your muffins, a bow, and your motorcycle - Bruninator

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #12 on: 07 Aug 2016, 19:42 »

The plot of Kiki's Delivery Service is about budding young witch Kiki striking out on her own. Perhaps it's time for Brun to strike out on her own.

Too on-the-nose?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #13 on: 07 Aug 2016, 20:30 »

Makes perfect sense, actually.  Will Mieville escape and start following her?  That, for me, is the important one.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #14 on: 07 Aug 2016, 20:38 »

And just like that, she is in her happy place.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #15 on: 07 Aug 2016, 21:05 »

Bow Brun is super cute!

mikmaxs

« Reply #16 on: 07 Aug 2016, 22:15 »

I had totally forgotten that Renee worked at the Secret Bakery. Dang.
Unfortunately, this means that my previous rejoicing that we finally had a new QC character with a pre-existing, not-already-part-of-the-cast friend has to be retroactively canceled out.
Don't mind me.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 07 Aug 2016, 23:14 »

It's clear that Brun requires little from this life to be truly happy. Day-old muffins and an animé-esque hair bow go a long way to reassuring her that all is right with the world!

This does open an interesting possible insight into Brun's inner world, though. Does she base all of her assumptions about the correct modes of behaviour, dress codes and the like on animé coming-of-age films? If so, this may lead to her having some pretty weird ideas about some careers and some people, especially if she's an affectionado of Miyazaki!
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #18 on: 08 Aug 2016, 02:01 »

The bow, or thoughts of daughters, apparently have a rejuvenating effect. Jim's temples lost their grey in the last panel.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #19 on: 08 Aug 2016, 02:09 »

The bow, or thoughts of daughters, apparently have a rejuvenating effect. Jim's temples lost their grey in the last panel.

Methinks it's Brun's content-cat-smile in the last panel, but I'll go with that explanation ...

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #20 on: 08 Aug 2016, 03:41 »

Sam doesn't strike me as the bow-in-hair type.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 08 Aug 2016, 04:03 »

Maybe the point is that Jim (or maybe his ex-wife) are the bow-in-hair type. The bow has been kept in reserve just in case Sam decides to conform to a gender stereotype (possibly for the first time in her life).
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 08 Aug 2016, 04:47 »

I voted that Brun could be the Secret Bakery's alt Hannelore, but if she likes large bows she might consider getting a job at The Horrible Revelation.  Big bows were in during the Victorian Era. 

We're getting a little more insight into Brun, she's a Miyazaki fan.  I'm not sure if she would get along with Marigold or not since you never know with anime fans. 

Most definitely she is going to meet someone from Coffee of Doom, but it remains to be seen as to who. 

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #23 on: 08 Aug 2016, 05:28 »

Methinks it's Brun's content-cat-smile in the last panel, but I'll go with that explanation ...

Funny, I came here myself to post that with that bow and smile as the final indicator, Brun totally reminds me of a cat in her attitudes and behaviours.

Milayna

« Reply #24 on: 08 Aug 2016, 05:34 »

Brun equipped the bow of +3 adorableness.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #25 on: 08 Aug 2016, 06:01 »

It's clear that Brun requires little from this life to be truly happy. Day-old muffins and an animé-esque hair bow go a long way to reassuring her that all is right with the world!

This does open an interesting possible insight into Brun's inner world, though. Does she base all of her assumptions about the correct modes of behaviour, dress codes and the like on animé coming-of-age films? If so, this may lead to her having some pretty weird ideas about some careers and some people, especially if she's an affectionado of Miyazaki!

People in general take up a lot of scial ques from the media they watch and read, especially what they watch and read as kids.

As an aspie, that might be why I preferred stuff with more realistic characters over the stuff with vapid-brain-dead-character-A interacts with vapid-brain-dead-character-B. Batman Beyond over Spongebob Squarepants. I can't think of any particularly stupid characters from books, but I was reading stuff like 'The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm' in 5th grade.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #26 on: 08 Aug 2016, 06:33 »

My immediate thought after today's comic
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #27 on: 08 Aug 2016, 06:54 »

Yay happy Brun.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

rayadoman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #28 on: 08 Aug 2016, 09:01 »

I thought of a "bow and arrow" and figured she was looking for a replacement for the harpoon.

I also thought it would have been an archery bow which would have made Jim's comment about having a daughter more accurate.  That is the thing I would expect Sam to keep lying around in her dad's office.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #29 on: 08 Aug 2016, 09:40 »

It is entirely possible that Sam has one of those as well.  Though she might not be the sort of girl who generally goes for frills and such, Sam quite possibly would be drawn to some of the various Miyazaki heroines.  Given her current interests, though, San seems the most likely.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 08 Aug 2016, 10:35 »

I'd guess that delivery for a pizza place is very different from delivery for a wholesale bakery or coffee place. Wholesale would be more about "deliver these boxes to that store at this time every day" and therefore better suited for a Brun-type personality.

blt

« Reply #31 on: 08 Aug 2016, 11:07 »

Sam doesn't strike me as the bow-in-hair type.

And it certainly wouldn't go with her skull helmet.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 08 Aug 2016, 11:08 »

I'm pretty sure that the skull-and-bow motif would work fine in a Tim Burton animation!
~~~~

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #33 on: 08 Aug 2016, 11:34 »

I'm pretty sure that the skull-and-bow motif would work fine in a Tim Burton animation!

If memory serves, 'The Book of Life' (movie) has a few deceased characters with bows.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 08 Aug 2016, 15:11 »

i wonder what Sam is going to say when she sees Brun wearing her Bow

And happy Brun is happy Brun
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #35 on: 08 Aug 2016, 16:09 »

Funny, I came here myself to post that with that bow and smile as the final indicator, Brun totally reminds me of a cat in her attitudes and behaviours.

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

think_tomorrow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #36 on: 08 Aug 2016, 17:06 »

I think we need to make a chart showing how all of the characters are now connected, because as soon as I saw this I had to figure out exactly how Clinton is now connected to Brun:  He is her friend's employer's girlfriend's son's girlfriend's brother.

edit: "So what does that make us?"  "Absolutely nothing!"

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #37 on: 08 Aug 2016, 18:03 »

I hope I'm not the only one who immediately thought of the "bow and arrow" variety of a bow at first.  Hell, it took me until the last panel to realize what she meant...

I also thought it would have been an archery bow which would have made Jim's comment about having a daughter more accurate.  That is the thing I would expect Sam to keep lying around in her dad's office.

And here I was all set to be happy to see Brun have a second weapon discipline.

Glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed by that...
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #38 on: 08 Aug 2016, 20:47 »

"Too late, Renee," I LOVE IT
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #39 on: 08 Aug 2016, 20:52 »

ELLIOT!  (Elliott?)  (Edgar and my mind is messing with me?)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #40 on: 08 Aug 2016, 20:53 »

"Too late, Renee," I LOVE IT
She should probably just walk away.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #41 on: 08 Aug 2016, 21:05 »

Has Brun always been that short or is Elliot just very tall? Slouching, the other character (I forget her name, don't hit me) is taller.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #42 on: 08 Aug 2016, 21:05 »

Elliot probably pushes seven feet. I'm not sure if we've seen him standing next to Bubbles.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Spiritz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #43 on: 08 Aug 2016, 21:31 »

Pretty sure there was a question or it was discussed at some point, but are there two Renee's or is it just the one?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #44 on: 08 Aug 2016, 21:35 »

There are an infinite number of Renees, all arranged in a row. It is an array of Renees.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Zog

• Plantmonster
« Reply #45 on: 08 Aug 2016, 21:38 »

Yay! Elliott!!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #46 on: 08 Aug 2016, 22:18 »

Doesn't Elliott bounce at the Horrible Revelation?  Gets off work there at 3 am, shows up at the bakery at 4:30...

Doesn't get much sleep, does he?  Maybe a good afternoon nap helps.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #47 on: 08 Aug 2016, 22:21 »

Sounds a little like your hours, Carl-E.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #48 on: 08 Aug 2016, 22:24 »

Doesn't Elliott bounce at the Horrible Revelation?  Gets off work there at 3 am, shows up at the bakery at 4:30...

Doesn't get much sleep, does he?  Maybe a good afternoon nap helps.

Probably explains both the yawn and the plaster on his nose.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 08 Aug 2016, 23:22 »

Renee may not want to live in an animé but Elliot is clearly overjoyed at the prospect! I believe that, if nothing else, Brun can go through this day safe in the knowledge that she has made at least one geek happy; so happy that he has stars in his eyes! :wink:

Now... Has Elliott been in a fight or is that one of those 'nasal passage strips' that some people wear when exercising because it's supposed to increase the amount of oxygen you can inhale with every breath?

P.S.:
I do not believe in coincidences in Jeph's art. Open Mic night at Harry's is going to be significant somehow.
~~~~

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up