THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 17:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What job will Brun get?

Barmaid at The Horrible Revelation (Victorian Brun FTW)
Alt-Hanners at The Secret Bakery
Counter Staff at Smif College canteen - Interaction with Marten, Tai and Claire
Freelance House-cleaner
Dormitory night receptionist at the dorm used by both Clinton and Emily at UMass
Delivery-person (maybe for TSB or CoD, if Dora wants to go in that direction)
Emily's new apprentice at Coffee of Doom
Concession stand clerk at The Fighting Arena
Other (Please Specify)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3281 to 3285 (8-12 August 2016)  (Read 32268 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3281 to 3285 (8-12 August 2016)
« Reply #150 on: 12 Aug 2016, 14:30 »

By getting over it, and realizing you know and understand exactly what they mean by OCD so getting torqued that it isn't the exactly precise definition is actually just embarassing for you.

It's pretty bad form to tell someone that being concerned or bothered with how some people choose to regularly belittle their disorder, intentionally or not, is "embarrassing".

Also - recognizing that they're out running six miles a day while you're sitting on the internet complaining about their trivial word choices.
I'm not sure how these things are mutually exclusive. Do people who run never complain on the internet? Does a person's exercise habits really change what they are saying and the meaning behind it? You're talking to people on a forum. The, "You're on the internet," argument is a bit flawed.

Thing is that it's *not* trivial for those of us who actually deal with OCD on a constant basis.  I'll certainly joke about it, and I do expect constant shit from my friends[1] about it.  But it doesn't help anyone to describe some silliness as an OCD trait.  I'll indulge in odd things on a whim[2] and it can be fun.  It's still a vast difference between harmless indulgence and a serious anxiety disorder.

People make exaggerations all the time.  When someone compares a busy afternoon to a battlefield are they being insensitive to veterans?  Lashing out at people for their benign ignorance doesn't really you do any favors because either they will avoid you because they don't want you to take it the wrong way or they'll resent being scolded like a child and double down. 

"It bothers me when you use the name of a disorder that has a huge impact on the daily life of many people to facetiously describe a part of your personality."
"Stop lashing out and scolding me."

Ignorance might not always be malicious but that does not mean it is not harmful. When someone is then informed of how their actions are having a negative impact and they choose to not listen and continue, that is malicious. Although sometimes people listen and consider how their words and actions affect others and change their behaviour out of thoughtfulness and compassion. So that is a favour someone can possibly do themselves by choosing to mention their concerns.

If someone is informed of how their actions have a negative impact and choose not to listen that is malicious, but I would suggest not lashing out.  When people feel like they are being scolded like children they might avoid the person who takes issue altogether so as never to risk upsetting them again or willfully misuse the terms that offend because they stop caring about hurting people's feelings since they get tired of walking on egg shells. 

You spelled behaviour with a u so I'm going to assume you're not from the states, but there is a growing backlash against political correctness here in America and I think it's in large part by how people have gone about correcting others. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #151 on: 12 Aug 2016, 14:55 »

A person wishing to not have their mental health reduced and basically mocked is not lashing out or scolding. Consider that if a person has reached the point of talking about it, they've probably been quiet about it a lot more often. So by the time they talked about it, they might be blunt to be clear, which I would say has not happened here in the relevant posts. Asking to have feelings considered is not the same as being immediately raging and attacking someone, which is how you're making it sound.

Remember this is intended to be a welcoming forum for many types of people who feel the world around them doesn't have any desire to listen to or understand them based on things about themselves that are out of their control. This forum tries to be more sensitive than the average community. What you might call political correctness, we tend to call basic respect.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #152 on: 12 Aug 2016, 14:58 »

Some people need to be corrected.  I certainly have been, and likely will as long as I live.  People who complain about "political correctness" are generally more thin-skinned than those who they accuse of it.  It's called being fucking respectful and doing one's best to understand others.  And no, one doesn't get a cookie/biscuit for doing it, it's basic fucking decency.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #153 on: 12 Aug 2016, 15:06 »

I wasn't even aware that Barns could fart!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #154 on: 12 Aug 2016, 15:25 »

A person wishing to not have their mental health reduced and basically mocked is not lashing out or scolding. Consider that if a person has reached the point of talking about it, they've probably been quiet about it a lot more often. So by the time they talked about it, they might be blunt to be clear, which I would say has not happened here in the relevant posts. Asking to have feelings considered is not the same as being immediately raging and attacking someone, which is how you're making it sound.

Remember this is intended to be a welcoming forum for many types of people who feel the world around them doesn't have any desire to listen to or understand them based on things about themselves that are out of their control. This forum tries to be more sensitive than the average community. What you might call political correctness, we tend to call basic respect.

Well it's just a suggestion.  I've seen too many discussions devolve into name calling and mutual loathing because everyone assumes the other person is ignorant and thin skinned.  There are people with actual OCD and there are also people who are very self conscious and don't handle criticism very well.  Should their neurosis be so easily dismissed?  For the sake of peace it's best to handle these matters in a civil matter. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #155 on: 12 Aug 2016, 16:26 »

Administrator Comment I endorse what Welu has said and want to amplify that it's part of the goal of inclusiveness and is a core value here. "Basic respect" is one way to describe what we insist on, as is "Decent human being". Mutual listening is a vital ingredient.

Anyway it's part of old and traditional decorum to be ready to say "Oh, so sorry, I didn't know it was like that" when you discover you have inadvertently given offense.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #156 on: 12 Aug 2016, 18:19 »

Well it's just a suggestion.  I've seen too many discussions devolve into name calling and mutual loathing because everyone assumes the other person is ignorant and thin skinned.  There are people with actual OCD and there are also people who are very self conscious and don't handle criticism very well.  Should their neurosis be so easily dismissed?  For the sake of peace it's best to handle these matters in a civil matter.

Seriously? There's a difference between feeling awkward when someone asks you not to do something and having a psychiatric disorder... For example, the former is not a neurosis.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #157 on: 12 Aug 2016, 19:28 »

Taking pleasure in small, essentially pointless activities, is surely a life enhancing exercise.

Thank you for changing my perpsective. That is a very nice way of looking at it.

Your next challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to defend their habit of delightfully describing this habit as "so OCD."  :roll:

By getting over it, and realizing you know and understand exactly what they mean by OCD so getting torqued that it isn't the exactly precise definition is actually just embarassing for you.

Also - recognizing that they're out running six miles a day while you're sitting on the internet complaining about their trivial word choices.

There's already plenty of response to this, so rather than repeat it, I will just add the following. We are friends. They are aware that I am critical of that term, but that is fine - just because we're friends, doesn't mean we agree on absolutely everything. I personally am not a sufferer, so my criticism always been mild, as it was on this forum. But I am very sympathetic to those who are negatively affected by it. You may think it's fine, but that doesn't make it definitively so.

To address your final cheap shot. I'm happy they're out there running. It's a very positive activity. That's why I'm out there running too. With some of them, usually.

I let them run their loops at the end on their own, though. To each their own.  :-D
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #158 on: 12 Aug 2016, 19:48 »

I wasn't even aware that Barns could fart!
If a Gazebo can then why not a Barn?
(click to show/hide)
Please note that there has been no documented evidence of jogging gazebos.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #159 on: 12 Aug 2016, 19:49 »

... or playing hockey with brooms and expired baked goods.

Muffin puck!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #160 on: 12 Aug 2016, 20:03 »

Muffin puck!
If it is starbucks then it is Bagels. Those things are classified as lethal weapons even before they go stale. Building matereals once folly set though.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #161 on: 12 Aug 2016, 20:49 »

Coming back to read up on the forum.

I'll come back later.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2016, 20:55 by TheEvilDog »

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #162 on: 13 Aug 2016, 00:54 »

Barn fart = zoo smell

Fuckin' pain in the ass.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #163 on: 13 Aug 2016, 03:58 »

Muffin puck!
If it is starbucks then it is Bagels. Those things are classified as lethal weapons even before they go stale. Building matereals once folly set though.

Bagels are only good the morning that they are made.  Otherwise they turn into something deadly.  The worst, though, and the things that make the best pucks are the vegan oat cakes that seem to inhabit every coffee shop in California.  When fresh, they're the sort of thing that one can gnaw on all day in order to keep fed.  When they go bad they cause concussions.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #164 on: 13 Aug 2016, 05:54 »

Lashing out at people for their benign ignorance doesn't really you do any favors because either they will avoid you because they don't want you to take it the wrong way or they'll resent being scolded like a child and double down.
I don't think there is such a thing as benign ignorance. That would mean that the ignorance is positively good.
You spelled behaviour with a u so I'm going to assume you're not from the states, but there is a growing backlash against political correctness here in America and I think it's in large part by how people have gone about correcting others.
Because it's perfectly OK to resent being corrected without sufficient forelock-tugging and kowtowing, while entirely wrong to resent being addressed or talked about in a trivialising, insulting, excluding or otherwise unpleasant manner without a shred of courtesy...  :roll:

I hope Emily has never put a bat in a microwave...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TheEvilDog

« Reply #165 on: 13 Aug 2016, 08:13 »

Lashing out at people for their benign ignorance doesn't really you do any favors because either they will avoid you because they don't want you to take it the wrong way or they'll resent being scolded like a child and double down.
I don't think there is such a thing as benign ignorance. That would mean that the ignorance is positively good.

Oh I don't know. I kind of see benign ignorance as being similar to a benign tumour. Its not spreading like a malignant tumour, but its still a threat to the body because of the pressure on blood vessels or nerves. Just because its benign doesn't mean its not dangerous, just like ignorance.

Wilful ignorance, now that's what I see as being the more dangerous. Continuing to ignore what people are saying and their explanations as to why its hurtful and harmful to remain ignorant is, well, ignorant.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #166 on: 13 Aug 2016, 08:33 »

Ignorance is neither bad nor good; it is indifferent.  It's the empty space where you place knowledge if you're wise, and dogmatism if you're not.

As to it being harmful, pretty much anything can cause harm if used incorrectly.  If you hurt someone, you can apologize and try to do better (regardless of whether the apology is accepted), or you can double down and defend your right to hurt someone.  I've done both, and option one works much better.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #167 on: 13 Aug 2016, 10:53 »

It is damned annoying to read pages and pages devoted to people who annoy other people and people who are annoyed by them.

Most places would be a heck of a lot better if people just made an effort not to annoy other people.  Way back in the wayback, there was an early internetwork post-forwarding system called FIDOnet, whose rules required that people "Be neither excessively annoying, nor too easily annoyed."  That is an ideal for which, IMO, we should strive.  Some of us need others to shut up about certain things in order to feel safe, and one of the things that needs to be safe is the ability to express those needs.  Some of us (including me, apparently) have opinions that can offend other people, and need to remember that we lose little or nothing by shutting up about those opinions.  I don't have to convince anyone else to think what I think.  They can think what they want and that's fine.  More than once I've written a post, decided it would create offense, and just not hit the "Post" button.

There are places and times to do something deliberately even when you know that someone will be upset;  As John Adams said, "You can't have a revolution without offending somebody."  Adams was trying to do something good for the world.  There are times and places to challenge people's safety and make them confront issues and think;  as Margaret Mitchell said "You should be offended, and often, by someone who knows how."   She was explaining why she sought out people who would force her to examine and expand her own worldview; she was trying to broaden understanding.   And there are times and places when the need to avoid offense becomes absolute; therapy for example cannot proceed if there isn't a completely nonjudgmental environment where people feel safe to express whatever they need to.  It's a judgment call.

As far as I'm concerned the proper criteria to use is to always be trying to do as much good as possible while doing as little harm as required.  Saying what you need in order to feel safe is a request among friends and fine.  Trying to assert dominance over the form of communication used by others is stroking your own damn ego and worthless.  Complaining about others making such requests while ignorant about the reality of their needs is, bluntly speaking, damned rude and should be actively avoided.  Remember, the objective is to do good.  Balance your needs against others' needs and try to find the way that's best.

So anyway, that's my opinion, but I'll loan it out to you if you like it.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #168 on: 13 Aug 2016, 11:03 »

So anyway, that's my opinion, but I'll loan it out to you if you like it.

Is it under the GPL?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #169 on: 13 Aug 2016, 17:03 »

Quote from: erin houdini
If you make a mistake, accept being corrected gracefully, and move on.

You don't have to be terrified of accidentally offending someone. That just makes things awkward. If you make a mistake and dwell on it, that's even more awkward. Even worse is starting an argument defending ignorance or assuming you know better than someone with obviously more education and experience on an issue. Being corrected is ok, and it doesn't make you stupid or insensitive. Just learn, and move on.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

« Reply #170 on: 13 Aug 2016, 22:07 »

Anyway, back to discussing the comic.

"Barn fart" looks to me like a typo for or mishearing of the phrase "brain fart". What do you think?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #171 on: 13 Aug 2016, 23:23 »

Poll Results!

1. Alt-Hanners at The Secret Bakery - 17 (37%)
2. Barmaid at The Horrible Revelation (Victorian Brun FTW) - 11 (23.9%)
=3. Delivery-person (maybe for TSB or CoD, if Dora wants to go in that direction) - 7 (15.2%)
=3. Concession stand clerk at The Fighting Arena - 7 (15.2%)
5. Dormitory night receptionist at the dorm used by both Clinton and Emily at UMass - 2 (4.3%)
=6. Freelance House-cleaner - 1 (2.2%)
=6. Emily's new apprentice at Coffee of Doom - 1 (2.2%)
X Counter Staff at Smif College canteen - Interaction with Marten, Tai and Claire - 0 (0%)
X Other (Please Specify) - 0 (0%)

A pretty clear result this week. However, I can't help wonder if some readers may have missed a clue. Brun wishes to emulate Kiki, but Kiki didn't work behind a counter! Hers was a delivery service! :wink:

((New Policy: Any result that gets no votes in my polls is scrubbed from the list as shown above))
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Morituri

« Reply #172 on: 14 Aug 2016, 08:07 »

"Barn Fart" looks like a variation on "Brain Fart", yeah.  Not necessarily a mishearing, but if not, then an amusing phrase that "Brain Fart" can remind her of.

I do this all the time.  Whenever I hear "Ghost in the machine" I think "Goats in the machine" and smile.  Whenever I hear "Deus Ex Machina" I think "Deus Sex Machina" and that would be a really cool name for a line of religious-themed adult toys. Whenever I hear "Cowboy" or "Cowgirl", I repunctuate it in my mind with a comma after "Cow," and it's surprising how often the sentence still makes sense.  I'm always alert for these near-misses, because sometimes they're very amusing thoughts that I wouldn't have thought otherwise.  It's all part of a grand language game I play inside my mind. 

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #173 on: 14 Aug 2016, 11:06 »

Anyway, back to discussing the comic.

"Barn fart" looks to me like a typo for or mishearing of the phrase "brain fart". What do you think?

In all truth, I can never hear an expletive with the word 'barn' in it without thinking of May saying 'fuckbarn.'  I've loved the word since I first read it, so much I've considered asking Jeph for permission to use it in things I write.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #174 on: 16 Aug 2016, 09:08 »

My favorite expletive is fuckpants. I think Will Ferrell said it in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but I'm not sure. He might have said fuck beans.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Morituri

« Reply #175 on: 16 Aug 2016, 13:05 »

My favorite expletive is "slubberdegullion," but hardly anyone knows what it actually means because it's mostly been dropped from the English language. 

Seriously, how can you lose a beautiful word like that?  I bet no other language in the world even has a word for someone who tries to curry favor by performing oral sex but is so horrifically bad at it that they just make the recipient angry.   Can anything else express that in one word?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #176 on: 16 Aug 2016, 18:31 »

You'll probably be unsurprised to hear that my dictionary does contain the word "slubberdegullion," but not with that definition.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #178 on: 17 Aug 2016, 02:04 »

Interestingly, the etymology given is "slubber + the British dialectal term gullion ‎(“wretch”)".  But how British is "gullion" I wonder, when I find it is in none of my British dictionaries, only in the American Merriam-Webster.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #179 on: 17 Aug 2016, 19:54 »

A lot of the old English dialects died after the introduction of printed books; the printers all used the principal dialect of London and the older regional ones fell into disuse as a result. As for how "English" a word like "gullion" is, consider that the Royal Navy once recorded that its sailors, beached in heavy weather on the coast of Cornwall, not more than 150 miles from their home port, were unable to purchase eggs from a local farmer as they could not make her understand what they wanted, she having never heard of "egges" in her life – they went away disappointed while she got back to tending her chickens and their fresh-laid eyeren…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #180 on: 17 Aug 2016, 20:04 »

Curiously, Chambers has "slubber" and "slubberdegullion," but not "gullion."

Morituri, what on earth is the source for your claimed definition?

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #181 on: 18 Aug 2016, 09:06 »

Is Renee really equating being pissed at her mom with someone's home burning down?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #182 on: 18 Aug 2016, 09:33 »

Is Renee really equating being pissed at her mom with someone's home burning down?
No, she's simply making a point that he is crushing on Brun and won't admit it to himself.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Storel

« Reply #183 on: 18 Aug 2016, 22:35 »

No, she's simply making a point that he is crushing on Brun and won't admit it to himself.
This is last week's thread, guys.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up