THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 00:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questionable Content Extensions  (Read 3511 times)

alexschrod

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Questionable Content Extensions
« on: 19 Aug 2016, 04:30 »

Hey everyone!

For quite a few years now (at least since 2008!), I've been working on and off on a user script + web service combo to facilitate better QC navigation. For the first few iterations of trying to implement my idea, I'd usually tire of developing it because the script would get unwieldy very quickly, and doing all the DOM manipulations that were required by hand got very cumbersome.

As time goes on, however, our skills (and the technologies we can use) improve, and I felt like I got to the point recently where I could start over again and actually make something that both works really well and is relatively simple to maintain and extend with new features. So, after having worked on this for a few months now, without further ado, let me present to you, Questionable Content Extensions! (+direct link to user script — you'll need to have Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey (or equivalent) installed in your browser)

Here's a screenshot of the script in action:

In addition to providing navigation by cast member and location, the script also improves navigation in general by turning the site into a web application which doesn't refresh when you navigate to a new comic.

While the website is currently rather empty and plain (so far only hosting the user script and its companion web service), I plan on adding more stuff to this website based on the data I have, such as interesting statistics and what have you. Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

The source code for the user script can be found on GitHub. I'm also planning to eventually release the server code, but I'm currently not in a rush about doing that. Contributions to the project (pull requests with improvements, new features and bug fixes) are both welcome and encouraged! :-) If you are not a programmer, reporting bugs and suggesting features on the GitHub issues page is also very helpful and appreciated!

I created a subreddit specifically for discussing the extension, although I will also regularly check this thread on this forum.

Please give the user script a try and let me know what you think. And obviously, let me know if you have any issues!
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2016, 11:38 by pwhodges »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Questionable Content Extensions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2016, 05:52 »

Administrator Comment It is not clear at present whether or not use of this extension would reduce Jeph's advertising income. We understand that this is not the intention of the author, and so I am unlocking the thread again. If it turns out that Jeph would be impacted by this, will will of course remove it.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2016, 11:40 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: [1]   Go Up