Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Runs it up the Poll Flagpole

Brun likes Elliott - but not in THAT way - classic comedy ensues
Clinton walks into The Secret Bakery - hilarity ensues
Brun walks into CoD and runs into Clinton - awkwardness ensues
Brun AND Renee run into Claire and Clinton - The Govenor has to activate the National Guard
Marten becomes the Guru of Northhampton - mellowness ensues
Faye and Bubbles go into business together - extreme wealth ensues
Emily asks Clin-ton on a date - choking on Coffee ensues
Hanners and Brun get together - Universe ending events ensue
There will be more Comics - and nothing on this Poll ensues
Purple Monkey Gorilla Dishwashers - Genetic Science has ensued
Spathe Pizza with Ham and Waffles - dinner ensues
Butts ensue

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3291 to 3295 (22 - 26 August 2016)  (Read 29489 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
WCDT Strips 3291 to 3295 (22 - 26 August 2016)
« on: 20 Aug 2016, 23:53 »

There is no Spoon

But there is a Poll
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Strips 3291 to 3295 (22 - 26 August 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2016, 00:47 »

I'm really hoping that everyone will end up turning up at CoD and we're going to see everyone all being in the same place and time. As they do, people will get talking and having practically the entire focus cast in the same place will lead to some surprising revelations, admissions and realisations, some of which (possibly most of which) we already suspected but about which the characters themselves were in denial.

Events I'd like to see:
  • Elliott delivers the muffins for the day and Brun follows along as she wants to talk to the familiar faces at CoD about various things;
  • Marten and Tai come in to get their coffees before opening the library;
  • Clinton and Claire come in to talk tattoos (something dear to Tai's heart);
  • Bubbles comes in for her tea hit and Faye accompanies her and, for once, stays around to be part of the interaction between Bubbles and Hannelore.
Basically, the entire focus cast are present and, as they interact, stuff happens.

Such as? I'm hoping that Clinton gets talking to Brun and gets to know the real her a bit more so he's no longer thinking of her as a 'maybe' or a damsel in distress but is better acquainted with the woman. Similarly, I would like to see Emily's reaction to Clinton showing interest in someone else; it will nail down finally whether she's really interested in him or if she's just looking for a friend and grateful for someone actually not being scared off by her eccentricities. FWIW - I can actually see her telling off Elliot for unknowingly intimidating Clinton and I will be very interested to see if she recognises him from the save during her date with Clinton and how she responds to that.

I really, really want to know what happened after Faye failed to tickle Bubbles; I'm wondering if they're going to have an innocently unknowing Hannelore make them realise something. Similarly, I'm wondering if  either observing Tai and Dora's interactions or something that Tai says will make Marten realise that he's been letting himself get into his passive status quo rut again.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:01 »

We will probably be following the trail of Clinton and Claire at the start of the week, heading to the CoD to talk tattoos. We know that Brun is also wandering around town looking for work and doing things. It would not be terribly odd for her to run into the pair of them out walking or at the CoD. Queue up Claire making inappropriate comments and trying to play match maker between the two of them. Bonus points for Emily's reaction if it happens at the coffee shop. Double bonus points if Renee shows up part way though, with a flustered Clinton is arguing with Claire while Brun looks on impassively.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2016, 14:20 »

I can see them running into each other at some stage, whether its out on the street or a CoD remains to be seen
James The Kugai 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2016, 15:33 »

We will probably be following the trail of Clinton and Claire at the start of the week, heading to the CoD to talk tattoos. We know that Brun is also wandering around town looking for work and doing things. It would not be terribly odd for her to run into the pair of them out walking or at the CoD. Queue up Claire making inappropriate comments and trying to play match maker between the two of them. Bonus points for Emily's reaction if it happens at the coffee shop. Double bonus points if Renee shows up part way though, with a flustered Clinton is arguing with Claire while Brun looks on impassively.

Only thing I would say about Claire trying to play matchmaker, this is still probably just a couple of days after her last attempt with Clinton and Emily and his blowing up at her. I would imagine that Claire, while enthusiastic would still feel a little wary of interfering again so soon.

But I do agree with some inappropriate comments and someone, possibly Marten, facepalming.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2016, 22:33 »

Well, yeah, it COULD be a bar, a coffee bar, maybe.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2016, 22:36 »

I am with Brun on this. All businesses could be bars. I would be okay with this.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2016, 23:09 »

The idea of Dora getting a liquor license frightens me on a very basic and fundamental level.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2016, 23:15 »

They could reinvent the milk bar.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2016, 23:18 »

The odds, Clinton, seem to be hovering somewhere in the region of 'inevitability'. Something tells me that Jeph is looking forward to this meeting.

You know, Brun doesn't strike me as someone who has difficulty assessing 'this is/this is not' about the things around her. She definitely has a problem with people but not so much with things. So, I find myself honestly interested to learn how it came to be that she walked into Coffee of Doom and decided that she wanted to work there as a bartender.

I suppose it is possible that she does not know the word 'barista', at least in the context of a coffee shop and used the closest equivalent that she knows. I know that I only learned that bit of transplanted Italian after my first ever trip into a Starbucks; I didn't know it is female-tense Italian for 'bartender' until just now!

Meanwhile, Claire and Marten continue to be sweet with one another. It tells you a lot about how much time Clinton has been spending around them that he has built up defences and doesn't react.
~~~~

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2016, 23:54 »

They could reinvent the milk bar.

Will they serve milk plus?  It has been quite some time since this comic has had a bit of the old ultraviolence.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2016, 00:26 »

Brun is very direct, and tends to be oblivious to things outside her interest. But she also seems to connect intuitively to people's inner desires; that was how she gave Clinton his insight into his own anger, and why she stated she's good at her job. Perhaps she senses that Dora needs to shake things up a bit at COD. Or maybe there's some sort of unknowable universal force (initials jj) forcing her back toward Clinton.

Still think it would be funnier if Clinton's next Brun interaction happened in Renee's presence. Maybe Clinton could meet Renee first, in a context that gave her a good impression of him, before she finds out he's the stalker that's been menacing her friend Brun. Can you spell "cognitive dissonance?" I knew you could!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2016, 04:08 »

I don't think it would take all that much training to adapt from bartender to barista, but Dora is already fully staffed unless she decides to fire Emily and/or Hannelore for gabbing about food consumption theories all day. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2016, 04:23 »

I have to say that, especially since Elliott visualised Brun is period costume, I am in favour of her getting a job at The Horrible Revelation. If Jeph is going to have more scenes set at The Secret Bakery, why not Northampton's favourite theme bar too? It would be interesting to catch up with Wil and Penny/Pizza Girl.

((Full Disclosure - My theory is that Pizza Girl is Penny's twin sister - not identical - they have been out of contact for a while due to Penny rejecting  their parents' faith and were kind of surprised to run into each other that night at Wil's place))
~~~~

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2016, 04:49 »

Butts always ensue.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2016, 06:27 »

I just love Jeph's bottomline as an explanation for Brun's request...
She  has been forced into an early start and is determined not to waste time. Bars not open yet? Start new bars!

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2016, 06:33 »

Butts always ensue.
That reminds me, where is Pintsize and what is he up to now?
Last we saw was him lamenting over his online dating posts.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2016, 07:47 »

Marten is obnoxiously happy with his relationship and I am okay with that.
oh god

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2016, 11:49 »

my favorite coffee place recently added a beer cooler full of 22-oz bombers of locally-crafted beer-ish goodness to add profit to their already late hours. I think it's a trend that Dora should take advantage of if the *Hampton licensing people are pretty chill
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2016, 11:59 by FunkyTuba »

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2016, 13:01 »

Or maybe there's some sort of unknowable universal force (initials jj) forcing her back toward Clinton.

Wait, what's Abrams got to do with this strip?

On the topic of what could ensue in the very near future, there might be a conflict if both Brun and Emily are there, although it'll be pretty much internal for Clinton.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Gyrre

« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2016, 13:51 »

I believe the term is "ironic jump cut".

EDIT: I stand corrected. It's a "Description Cut" (it's a TV Tropes link). There's a great example from Skin Horse on the main page.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2016, 14:12 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2016, 13:55 »

my favorite coffee place recently added a beer cooler full of 22-oz bombers of locally-crafted beer-ish goodness to add profit to their already late hours. I think it's a trend that Dora should take advantage of if the *Hampton licensing people are pretty chill

I think that would add even more hours to Dora's week. Because let's face it, Dora would be the one to oversee it.

Plus CoD serving alcohol would be yet another temptation to Faye if she ever goes back and it could potentially lead to an argument over Faye's firing. I know, I know, but people are rarely rational when angry or frustrated.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #22 on: 22 Aug 2016, 14:00 »

Even at places that serve alcohol, there *are* limits.  At my local pub, one of the waitresses was fired for drinking *too much* on the job and showing up intoxicated.[1]  In general, though, drinking at work there has gotten to the point where the owners have severely cracked-down on the amount that employees can drink on shift.

[1]A pity that she decided to stop contacting people she had worked with there… she still has my copy of Watchmen.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #23 on: 22 Aug 2016, 14:45 »

Even at places that serve alcohol, there *are* limits.  At my local pub, one of the waitresses was fired for drinking *too much* on the job and showing up intoxicated.[1]  In general, though, drinking at work there has gotten to the point where the owners have severely cracked-down on the amount that employees can drink on shift.

[1]A pity that she decided to stop contacting people she had worked with there… she still has my copy of Watchmen.

My dad owns a liquor store.  If the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission comes in and he's got an open bottle of beer, he could lose his license.  If he's drunk, he WILL lose his license.

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2016, 15:17 »

Does anyone have any word on the update to the site's look? It looks at the moment like an unadorned blog site like Wordpress, probably half-finished. That' can't last, I hope. It's kind of shocklingly unfinished-looking.
Thinks too much.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2016, 15:29 »

Mittens:  Making your hands significantly less useful since around 1000 A.D.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2016, 16:06 »

They could serve RTDs and such as an addendum to the Coffee - or Coffee with Schnapps or Vodka in it

Adn/or Mulled Wine in Winter

The possibilities are endless

James The Kugai 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #27 on: 22 Aug 2016, 16:09 »

Actually serving mixed drinks would require a liquor license, which is very expensive. Even selling the liquor separately would probably not be worth it. Being a BYO (bring your own) establishment might not require a license, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2016, 17:19 »

Dunno how the law is where you are, but around here you have this choice; you can either work at a place that serves alcohol, or drink at a place that serves alcohol, but not both.  (or at least, not during work hours)

If any employee at a place that serves alcohol EVER drinks on the job, they get fired immediately by anyone who wants to keep their license.

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #29 on: 22 Aug 2016, 17:31 »

Actually serving mixed drinks would require a liquor license, which is very expensive. Even selling the liquor separately would probably not be worth it. Being a BYO (bring your own) establishment might not require a license, though.
A motorcycle club across the street plays music horribly and loudly and it's BYOB but I'm almost certain they sell it under the table. The owner has connections in the city so they skirt the rules and it pisses me off. If BYOB requires a license I'll get them shut down.

A little tangential for the conversation, sorry.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #30 on: 22 Aug 2016, 17:34 »

I googled it because I was curious, and apparently it's illegal in New York State, so I guess check your state laws. That being said, if it's a private club instead of a restaurant/bar, the rules may be different anyway.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2016, 18:42 »

I am really concerned about Claire's edges and her breakage if she keeps tying up her hair that tight in winter.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #32 on: 22 Aug 2016, 18:53 »

edges and her breakage
I know these words but not in this context.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #33 on: 22 Aug 2016, 19:14 »

I think edges = hairline and breakage = broken hairs
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #34 on: 22 Aug 2016, 19:17 »

Hairs can break?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #35 on: 22 Aug 2016, 19:17 »

Edges are the really fragile hair at your hairline, which can break if you wear your hair in a tight bun too much. Breakage is when your hair breaks mid shaft, which can happen if you have ethnic or curly hair and you wear it pulled back too much or too tightly.

Curly hair is actually pretty fragile; its bends just provide teeny spots where it can break.

And oh my good a wool hat on curly hair is shitty idea. The static alone makes me 😖😖😖😖

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #36 on: 22 Aug 2016, 19:20 »

Hairs can break?

Yes? I mean... the strands aren't objects of infinite tensile strength...

Gyrre

« Reply #37 on: 22 Aug 2016, 19:31 »

Butts always ensue.
That reminds me, where is Pintsize and what is he up to now?
Last we saw was him lamenting over his online dating posts.
It would seem he's doing cameos in other comics (middle of panel 4).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #38 on: 22 Aug 2016, 19:32 »

Hairs can break?

What I mean is...hair bends. How can you tell when it's broken? I realize that sounds like a profoundly stupid question, but...I can't really fathom how a strand breaks.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #39 on: 22 Aug 2016, 19:58 »

you know how you have a wire and you keep cooking and uncoiling it, and eventually it breaks, probably in one of the kinks you've created by bending it so much?

That's how hair breaks

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #40 on: 22 Aug 2016, 20:01 »

You can tell it's broken because it's in two pieces?

Specifically for Claire, she'd probably have done breakage where her hair was as long as where she habitually tied it up. So some of her hair strands would be as long as up to her hair tie and others would be the length of her pony tail

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 22 Aug 2016, 20:21 »

Hairs can break?

What I mean is...hair bends. How can you tell when it's broken? I realize that sounds like a profoundly stupid question, but...I can't really fathom how a strand breaks.

It doesn't snap, like it was frozen or something. It breaks from being excessively pulled. Also exacerbated by dry hair. It becomes brittle.

You end up with hair strands all over the place, is how you can tell. Plus you can end up with a bunch of hair strands that pop out of your hair tie quite easily, or even don't quite make it, and your tied-back hair has a frizzy appearance.

Gyrre

« Reply #42 on: 22 Aug 2016, 20:24 »

Hairs can break?

The living part of the hair is at the base and root. The rest of the hair is dead. Our natural oils help presetve the dead portion of the hair. Chemicals, heat, and physical agitation (pulling, twisting, bending, etc) can all deform or damage the protein bonds of the hair (similar to whipping or heating egg yolk). After a while, the hair breaks at weak points. Sometimes this is across the shaft, sometimes this is the tips of the hair fraying and splitting (split ends).

Please note it's been over 5 years since I took that class
a real-ass gaddam sword

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #43 on: 22 Aug 2016, 20:25 »

I'm still really confused but I have a feeling this isn't the place to teach me about hair. Thanks for everyone's effort though.

Also Clinton's "I'm going" makes me think of Lisa's:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #44 on: 22 Aug 2016, 20:35 »

Anything that can be cut can break.

Have to say I'm with Clinton on this one... chasing Brun down in the street is not going to do much to eliminate Renee's opinion of him as creepy stalker material.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #45 on: 22 Aug 2016, 20:49 »

I'm still really confused but I have a feeling this isn't the place to teach me about hair. Thanks for everyone's effort though.

Dude, what do you think happens when you get your hair cut? Ever wonders why your nails can split or crack if you catch them on something? Same material in a different form.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #46 on: 22 Aug 2016, 20:54 »

So a "broken" strand of hair just means that a piece falls off? I was thinking something way more complicated than that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #47 on: 22 Aug 2016, 21:05 »

I'm confused now too. You're a mammal. You should know about hair.
 :psyduck:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #48 on: 22 Aug 2016, 21:13 »

I have it. I have a lot of it. Enough to not notice when some of it...breaks, I guess? That just seems like a weird word to use for hair.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #49 on: 22 Aug 2016, 22:32 »

Dunno how the law is where you are, but around here you have this choice; you can either work at a place that serves alcohol, or drink at a place that serves alcohol, but not both.  (or at least, not during work hours)

If any employee at a place that serves alcohol EVER drinks on the job, they get fired immediately by anyone who wants to keep their license.

Yeah, there's a difference b/n law and reality.  The ABC here if they actually cared could shut-down half the bars in town if they wanted.  In most of them, I have either been into lock-ins[1] or have seen bartenders who were usually more intoxicated than the worst of their patrons.  And I live in California.  Unless something nasty happens, the officials just don't *care*.  Hell, smoking in bars has been illegal since '98, and I have been to several in SF where I could walk in with a lit one and get served a drink + ashtray.

[1] Where one gets served after hours, but no one else gets in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up